• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

I'm not an analyzer or anything, but to my eyes, Destiny 2 beta on Pro appears to employ no super sampling on 1080p sets.
Aliasing steps appear to be far too large and prominent to be 4K downsampled. I haven't touched Destiny 1 in years, but it looks very similar to what I remember it's native 1080p with some FXAA or derivative.
I don't think I can support this conclusion. When outputting to a 4K display, the Destiny 2 beta appears to be 2160c
(There's an odd aspect pattern in tiny details I haven't noticed before, which may indicate some form of anamorphic processing occurring. Or it may just be a novel type of artifact from a new version of CBR. It's extremely minor, and I don't have enough knowledge to figure out what it might indicate, if anything.)
, and the AA does seem to be post-processed and very spotty. However, the 1080p shots posted by Omegabalmung9 in the console screenshot thread have much smoother edges. Here's an 800% zoom of some typical coverage of high contrast.

dest2crop2coa0.png

While his capture card has introduced a bit of noise due to chroma undersampling (the greyish pixels), you can still see that the transitions have a large number of steps.

While I don't have the exact same shot in two resolutions, I do have a couple with the same weapon in the foreground. So here's a three-way comparison between a zoom on the 4K version, a zoom on the 1080p version, and then a zoom of a manually downsampled version of the 4K shot. Note the contrasting sharpness of the 4K jaggies next to the 1080p ones, versus the similarity of AA coverage between the 1080p and downsampled 4K versions.

dest2aapys89.png

Now, this does not prove the Destiny 2 beta uses downsampling. However, I think it's pretty definitive evidence that at 1080p, there's stronger AA of some sort than when outputting 2160p. The general smoothness of it, and the gradual transitions in textures as well, makes SSAA a plausible candidate. But it could be another form of AA entirely, switched on only when running at a lower resolution. There are other PS4 Pro titles with support of this kind.

I've added only one game to the OP lists, Fantastic Contraption. If anyone has shots or video of other games for analysis, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

okay if I can redeem myself from my earlier blunder; Ghost Recon Wildlands looks pretty damn good!!! I've just been slowly walking through the country side, everything completely looks much more vibrant and crisp than on my 1080 display!

as for FF XII; I don;t know how to explain it but it looks much better than it did on my 1080 display....not otherworldy but definitely noticeable...since I know it wasn't from HDR, is because the the resolution bump? or me going from a 32 1080p in tv to a 49 4K tv? I'm seriously noticing things I didn't see on my old tv.

just got a X900E today, any games I should check out? my PSN profile is Goldenmegazx of you want to sort through the games I have.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I definitely think Destiny 2 is downsampling or at least using substantially improved AA at 1080p.

Here's some of my shots at 1080p. Was just playing D1 last night and the IQ is worlds better:
35845584302_8cdb603ae6_o.png

35845593372_fa61e884a6_o.png

35883293801_028b834826_o.png

35975168046_d59945f1a3_o.png

Let me know if you need more.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I definitely think Destiny 2 is downsampling.

Here's some of my shots at 1080p. Was just playing D1 last night and the IQ is worlds better:

That looks pretty good, much better than D1. Really clean IQ.

Vashetti

Banned
okay if I can redeem myself from my earlier blunder; Ghost Recon Wildlands looks pretty damn good!!! I've just been slowly walking through the country side, everything completely looks much more vibrant and crisp than on my 1080 display!

as for FF XII; I don;t know how to explain it but it looks much better than it did on my 1080 display....not otherworldy but definitely noticeable...since I know it wasn't from HDR, is because the the resolution bump? or me going from a 32 1080p in tv to a 49 4K tv? I'm seriously noticing things I didn't see on my old tv.

just got a X900E today, any games I should check out? my PSN profile is Goldenmegazx of you want to sort through the games I have.

FFXII doesn't downsample for 1080p displays, it continues to render at 1080p. You're not seeing any resolution difference.

I definitely think Destiny 2 is downsampling or at least using substantially improved AA at 1080p.

It does look very clean. Comparison between the base and Pro seem kind of disappointing from what I have read. I think I will fire up that first mission myself and see how it looks in "4K".

FFXII doesn't downsample for 1080p displays, it continues to render at 1080p. You're not seeing any resolution difference.
If you read his posts, you'll find that he has a 4K television. He is seeing higher resolution.

I think I will fire up that first mission myself and see how it looks in "4K".
I don't think there's any need for the scare quotes. The beta appears to be full 4K CBR.

EDIT: Okay, seems to actually be dynamic 4K per VG Tech, but anamorphic and not (currently) dropping much. This would explain the detail patterning I mentioned above.

Wildlands is a gorgeous game. It could just be your 4k tv making things look really good.

FZW

edit: nvm I think thats the wrong link but im pretty sure DF said it was downsampling

second edit: it wasnt DF but in that video, the description says

The Destiny 2 beta on PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080. The PS4 Pro version of the Destiny 2 beta uses checkerboard rendering and a dynamic resolution ranging from 3072x2160 to 3840x2160. The Destiny 2 beta does downsample to 1080p on PS4 Pro when outputting at that resolution

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
edit: nvm I think thats the wrong link but im pretty sure DF said it was downsampling

second edit: it wasnt DF but in that video, the description says

This is interesting because that lower resolution has not been used with checkerboarding before as far as I know. The few games that use dynamic res with checkerboard go down whole steps, 2160c>1800c and so on. I thought it might have just been a limit of the technique. Support for more arbitrary resolutions using it is a good thing. Hopefully it allows more devs to utilize it.

For resolution data, VG Tech are just as good as Digital Foundry. For framerate analysis, they're far superior to DF. But they don't do deeper written analysis on effects and settings, just provide the comparison video.

Oh I know all of that, was just correcting the typo in his original post

thelastword

Banned
For resolution data, VG Tech are just as good as Digital Foundry. For framerate analysis, they're far superior to DF. But they don't do deeper written analysis on effects and settings, just provide the comparison video.

People forget that it's vgtech who discovered that BLOPS 3 run a very consistent 1080p 60fps on PRO after the patch, then the 4k mode was patched to run at a solid 60fps soon after....

Their resolution data is also always on point.......... Hopefully Bungie can optimize well enough to go full 2160CB on the final code and fix those dips I saw in the tunnel. I also saw some frame spikes early in the video, even though the framerate was a solid 30fps at that point, so some small improvements in perf is warranted for a lcoked 30fps. I also hope they implement some TAA in this release tbh, there is too much shimmering and jaggies on the PRO as it is. It's clear that select 1080p images looks less aliased than the 4k mode since it's clearly downsampling, but they do need some proper AA on this title before release...

Shin-Ra

Downsampling results look over-sharp in the Destiny 2 beta. I'm not confident Bungie's applying a low-pass filter to the frame before downsampling, but looks like they are applying an edge contrast increasing sharpen filter afterwards. It seems backwards to me.

Reallink

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4311/35845584302_8cdb603ae6_o.png[/img

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4327/35845593372_fa61e884a6_o.png[/img

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4296/35883293801_028b834826_o.png[/img

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/35975168046_d59945f1a3_o.png[/img

Let me know if you need more.[/QUOTE]

There's got to be something atypical going on with D2, it could be doing a sharpening pass or something like Shinra posited, or it could be dynamic. In comparison to Titanfall 2, there's a huge gulf particularly in the aliasing Vs. your shots Robo:

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/ps4proweks1.png

35975168046_d59945f1a3_o.png

ps4pro2kkjjc.png

35845593372_fa61e884a6_o.png

Shin-Ra

Titanfall 2 has a nice temporal AA + downsampling combo.

They might even skip the low pass filter as TAA already softens the image.

DapperSloth

Hey everyone! I have a PS4 Pro with Talos Principle. I have Boost Mode on. It says in the list that you should have 50-60 FPS, but whenever I get into bigger areas the game slows down to 20 FPS sometimes. Hell I had better FPS in The Witcher 3 pre-swamp patch!

Most of the time it is smooth, and mostly in smaller areas, like the puzzle areas and such. Is this frame-stuttering or something? I mean it is for like 1-3 seconds, then it can go up to smooth frame rate, then when you turn the camera and see lots of stuff ahead it crawls down for a couple seconds until you turn around to something less detailed. Very frustrating as it deters from my enjoyment. Either it's 60 FPS or have it locked 30. Going up and down like a jojo is uncomfortable. Thanks for any input in this matter.

Tagg9

Hey everyone! I have a PS4 Pro with Talos Principle. I have Boost Mode on. It says in the list that you should have 50-60 FPS, but whenever I get into bigger areas the game slows down to 20 FPS sometimes. Hell I had better FPS in The Witcher 3 pre-swamp patch!

Most of the time it is smooth, and mostly in smaller areas, like the puzzle areas and such. Is this frame-stuttering or something? I mean it is for like 1-3 seconds, then it can go up to smooth frame rate, then when you turn the camera and see lots of stuff ahead it crawls down for a couple seconds until you turn around to something less detailed. Very frustrating as it deters from my enjoyment. Either it's 60 FPS or have it locked 30. Going up and down like a jojo is uncomfortable. Thanks for any input in this matter.

Can you record video of this?

I played Talos Principle briefly to test it out on the Pro, and it still dipped down to ~40fps from what I could tell in the larger areas. But nothing close to the 20fps you're talking about.

The Boost Mode list is often pulled from small amounts of available footage, so both highs and lows may vary from what's stated. Though what you described just sounds like standard performance issues, you could also try rebuilding your console's database. (Instructions are searchable online.) Someone on GAF had reported slowdown and hitching in Assetto Corsa Boost Mode that was fixed by doing this. Hope it helps!

DapperSloth

Can you record video of this?

I played Talos Principle briefly to test it out on the Pro, and it still dipped down to ~40fps from what I could tell in the larger areas. But nothing close to the 20fps you're talking about.

Hello!

After I record the video with the built in PS4 Recorder, where do I upload it?

EDIT: After doing a database rebuilding the game is smoother overall but some areas can really tear down the FPS. Need to upload the footage though.

philm87

Hey guys, since I didn't find any news on the subject - how likely is it that FIFA 18 gets HDR support?

Think it's unlikely based on the lack of EA games that have hdr. Can only think of Mass Effect off the top of my head. Imagine they would probably come to the conclusion that it wouldn't provide enough benefit when weighed up against the effect on performance.

Think it's unlikely based on the lack of EA games that have hdr. Can only think of Mass Effect off the top of my head. Imagine they would probably come to the conclusion that it wouldn't provide enough benefit when weighed up against the effect on performance.

What effect on performance?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HDR is in the Frostbite pipeline as if Andromeda so it's likely that the next EA releases will continue to have it, although BF1 was supposed to be getting an HDR patch and that never happened. HDR doesn't have any impact on performance either.

Tagg9

Hello!

After I record the video with the built in PS4 Recorder, where do I upload it?

EDIT: After doing a database rebuilding the game is smoother overall but some areas can really tear down the FPS. Need to upload the footage though.

You need to upload it to a site like YouTube. You can do this straight from the PS4, but you need to sign in first.

Hi guys! I would appreciate comments to this image I created.

L606M

fM2PAQ

The Hitman modes are listed twice because you can lock the framerate to 30, and it performs better than the standard PS4 when locked to 30.

I don't see what you mean with Horizon. The chart is accurate. The 1080p modes provides a better framerate along with enhanced graphical effects. As for a definitive one, I'd say play it at 4K if you have the display for it and 1080p if you don't.

For The Last Guardian, I would recommend playing it at 1080p. The game actually looks pretty great as the IQ is almost equatable to remastered PS3 game (which this practically is). The framerate is the big difference here and it is very smooth at 1080p.

DapperSloth

The Hitman modes are listed twice because you can lock the framerate to 30, and it performs better than the standard PS4 when locked to 30.

I don't see what you mean with Horizon. The chart is accurate. The 1080p modes provides a better framerate along with enhanced graphical effects.

For The Last Guardian, I would recommend playing it at 1080p. The game actually looks pretty great as the IQ is almost equatable to remastered PS3 game (which this practically is). The framerate is the big difference here and it is very smooth at 1080p.

The thing I mean with Horizon is that, a few people here have said that it is better to go with 4K, since that is on par with the 1080p Mode (IE, you still get very nice shadows and the antialiasing is pretty non-existent since it is 4K) and you get a clearer image. But I am uncertain which mode is actually superior.

The thing I mean with Horizon is that, a few people here have said that it is better to go with 4K, since that is on par with the 1080p Mode (IE, you still get very nice shadows and the antialiasing is pretty non-existent since it is 4K) and you get a clearer image. But I am uncertain which mode is actually superior.

Ah yes, I edited my post because I realized that I didn't address the question. I say 4K mode for a 4K display and 1080p for a 1080p display!

DapperSloth

Ah yes, I edited my post because I realized that I didn't address the question. I say 4K mode for a 4K display and 1080p for a 1080p display!

Any reason why you should skip extra graphical effects for a clearer image? Just curious :). I really don't know if the extra clarity is that strong at 4K to lose better shadows, extra AF etc. etc. Or is it!? Hmm.. decisions decisions haha.

Any reason why you should skip extra graphical effects for a clearer image? Just curious :). I really don't know if the extra clarity is that strong at 4K to lose better shadows, extra AF etc. etc. Or is it!? Hmm.. decisions decisions haha.

4K on an actual 4K screen trumps most of the added effects because:

MSAA - Not needed since the resolution already provides a huge IQ boost

AF + textures - Not needed as much since the res boost adds a good amount of detail added to the existing assets.

The other effects, if actually noticeable, are nice though. I'd recommend checking out Digital Foundry's video comparisons on YouTube if you want to see what I mean and also what the 1080p mode looks like in comparison.

Assanova

I just bought a PS4 Pro and so far I am not impressed. I tried it with Wipeout and No Man's Sky. I noticed that Abzu looks slightly better, but that's about it. Are there any games that look significantly better?? I might add that I am plying it on a Sony X900e.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just bought a PS4 Pro and so far I am not impressed. I tried it with Wipeout and No Man's Sky. I noticed that Abzu looks slightly better, but that's about it. Are there any games that look significantly better?? I might add that I am plying it on a Sony X900e.
Horizon
CoD Infinite Warfare
Killing Floor 2
Titanfall 2
Battlefield 1
The Last of Us Remastered

Wipeout should have been pretty awesome. Do you have HDR on?

Jedi2016

1) Depends on how you personally define "superior"

2) Since "better" is highly subjective, why not just, you know... try it yourself?

Any reason why you should skip extra graphical effects for a clearer image? Just curious :). I really don't know if the extra clarity is that strong at 4K to lose better shadows, extra AF etc. etc. Or is it!?
Many of the commonly increased graphical effects are equivalent to better resolution for just those things. "Better shadows" is often less jaggies for shadows, "better AF" is finer detail on angled surfaces, "better AA" is more blending steps at edges. A big jump up in overall resolution, like from 1080p to 2160c with Horizon, or from 1080p to 1890p with The Last Guardian, provides the same sorts of benefits, but across the entire image instead of just portions. (On the other hand, smaller jumps like from 1080p to 1440p may not improve the image as much as a collection of graphical improvements to the biggest offenders. It's best to just compare for yourself.)

The bump in Horizon's framerate is real, but quite small. Most people go with high-res mode for that reason. The framerate bump on Last Guardian is bigger, so it will be more of a personal preference thing.

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
It's all about personal preference.

I played The Last Guardian in high res mode and it looked absolutely beautiful (especially with HDR as well). The framerate wasn't too bad, certainly a lot better than the game running on a base PS4.

Elder Scrolls Online, though, I play in 1080p enhanced mode as the extra lighting, shadows and detail provide a much bigger boost to the image than a simple resolution bump.

Others may choose the opposite for each game, and that's fine.

ParityBit

Is any of this made public, as far as how a game uses the PS4 Pro to improve the game, before a game releases and is analyzed?

I ask because I am debating selling my PS4 for a Pro (just got a 4k HDR TV)

Top Bottom