• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

Cerity

I'm starting to wonder if we'll see a price hike on the RU store soon.

It was only a matter of time before they clamped down on this.

They kind of have come down on this earlier but it was more of a region specific deal and it was up the publisher. This is a blanket deal.

mapla

Neo Member
its the games that check ip every time you launch the game that grind my gears.

I wish gog galaxy would come out and destroy this region nonsense.

Not really, in any case you don't know, if you buy a game in Europe GOG works in a way that they give you the difference in their shop for other games. For example, The Wither 3 costs 46,79 euros and they say:

"Since the price in your region is almost €6.30 higher than in the US, we’re giving you €6.30 back in store credit for any future purchase on GOG.com."

The market for GOG is USA and they only do this with their own game, I dont think they would say "ok, since in Russia the game costs 5 euros you should have 40 euros of store credit". They would lose a lot of publishers and themselves couldn't sell The Witcher 3 for 5 euros.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm starting to wonder if we'll see a price hike on the RU store soon.

The rumour of the moment is that RUB will be dropped and Russia will join the rest of Eastern Europe as a CIS country (lower prices in USD). If that happens, Valve may reverse what it's done here with ACRTAG being applied across the board, but I'd hardly be shocked if part of the reason this decision was signed off on is because there was a desire to stamp out notably cheaper cross-region trading once and for all.

Sentenza

Well in a lot of cases, yea, they are. They earn far more money, even at the bottom end of the wage structure.
Well, in MOST cases they aren't.
Do you actually think that the average person in Europe (especially countries like Spain, Italy or Poland) is 40-50% richer than the average American?
Because that's what the euro pricing would suggest.

Well in a lot of cases, yea, they are. They earn far more money, even at the bottom end of the wage structure.

It might look like they 'earn' more money, but their disposable income is probably very similar to elsewhere in the developed world after you consider the cost of living/levels of inflation.
Sure UK has Minimum Wage set, but then the cost of living is higher too, rent prices aren't set, we all (should) pay the same income tax (unless you're super rich and then you pay 50% of your wage as tax), VAT, and Council Tax regardless of our level of income.

Then there's regional differences within the UK - London is more expansive than anywhere else simple because it's London (apparently) and some places offset that by giving out a higher wage. It doesn't mean they come away with more money at the end of the day, as their rent, travel, food, etc is all higher than other places in the UK.

As people have said Publishers expecting us to often pay +25% on games is odd, especially digitally considering there's no packaging or shipping costs to HIKE the price up (which was the defense for so many years). Granted, I'm no Economic expert so there's probably a ton of things I haven't even considered or I'm aware of, but as a consumer it just comes across as they see the £ and € or somewhat 'strong' and think we should charge extra.

When you see the Steam Store have prices like $40us and then £40 (which is ~$60) for the same game... you just have to walk away. I can understand why people turned to Russian traders if this is Steam's Best Practice towards Price Parity.
No idea how accurate this is, just rambling on the internet before I've had my breakfast and coffee.

Varg

Banned
I've used the Russian deals a lot so this directly affects me and how I buy my games. Can't say that I'm mad at it because I wasn't entitles to it in the first place. I'll just wait for steam sales now which are usually pretty good in the first place.

KKRT00

Not true, especially for countries without euro.

Like for example in Poland the wages are similar [like 1:1] as in US, but in PLN, not $.
But PC games cost average 100-120PLN, while console games cost 200-240PLN.
In US same games cost 50$ and 60$ respectively.
Its a big, big difference. i always laugh/cry when Americans complain about 60$ console games considering that we have to pay 4 times more, while having 3 times worse currency, so basically 12 times more than average American.

Ehh.

It kinda pisses me off but honestly, its saving me money in the long run. I was buying so many games because at the price they were, it would be rude not to.

Tiu Neo

A few games had limitation, already.My fear is that they start locking the games to regions, and not only the activation. While I live in Brazil now, I want to know that I can play my steam games if I move to another country.

Zafir

A few games had limitation, already.My fear is that they start locking the games to regions, and not only the activation. While I live in Brazil now, I want to know that I can play my steam games if I move to another country.

You'll be fine unless the game itself has a onlyrunincountries tag, which you can check on steabdb. ACRTAG only affects activations, once you've redeemed/bought it's fine. I don't see them changing that.

Tiu Neo

You'll be fine unless the game itself has a onlyrunincountries tag, which you can check on steabdb. ACRTAG only affects activations, once you've redeemed/bought it's fine. I don't see them changing that.

Yes, I know, but thanks! My fear is that people still abuse the regional prices in some way (like VPNs), and they have to lock the games too.

Hope this never happens.

Chariot

I wasn't aware buying Russian software on steam is so popular. Like the games aren't cheap enough?!
7hSn0UG.png

We're not talking a few cents here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

That's not going to happen; ACRTAG was designed as a replacement for OARIC as far as store purchases are concerned, but the latter is still around because it's the only way to heavily lock down packages used for retail keys. Also, if you have a region-locked package and find the game unplayable following a move abroad, you can contact Valve to have the restriction lifted.

KKRT00

Where can you buy new PC games for 100-120? I mean, legitimate sources.

Most games cost about that, sometimes its 129 PLN. There are of course exceptions, like Activision games, but generally its like that.

I for example bought Skyrim one day before the launch for 99 PLN from vobis.pl
http://www.ultima.pl/the_evil_within_pl_dlc/i15358/
http://www.ultima.pl/Evolve_DLC_klucz_do_test_w_Big_Alpha/i15074/
http://www.ultima.pl/Project_CARS/i15660/
http://www.ultima.pl/Wied_min_3_Dziki_Gon_PL_DLC/i14435/
http://muve.pl/pc/akcja/dying-light-pc/83701

FeiRR

Banned
Most games cost about that, sometimes its 129 PLN. There are of course exceptions, like Activision games, but generally its about that.

I for example bought Skyrim one day before the launch for 99 PLN from vobis.pl

Skyrim is an old game. Tell me where to buy, for example, Dragon Age: Inquisition for 100-120 right now.

Zafir

Yes, I know, but thanks! My fear is that people still abuse the regional prices in some way (like VPNs), and they have to lock the games too.

Hope this never happens.

Ah right, sorry. Well, as I said, I don't see it changing. Not to mention I don't see many people bothering with VPNs. You have to be very careful buying using VPNs, one wrong step and you can be locked out of purchasing(you have to contact support to get the lock removed), and even then it's against the ToS. Using a VPN to activate a locked gift may still occur, but, it's extra busy work.

Tenck

Ha, and I just snagged a copy of Dead or Alive before this was put in to effect.

Welp, we had a good run boys.

pa22word

It might look like they 'earn' more money, but their disposable income is probably very similar to elsewhere in the developed world after you consider the cost of living/levels of inflation.
Sure UK has Minimum Wage set, but then the cost of living is higher too, rent prices aren't set, we all (should) pay the same income tax (unless you're super rich and then you pay 50% of your wage as tax), VAT, and Council Tax regardless of our level of income.

Then there's regional differences within the UK - London is more expansive than anywhere else simple because it's London (apparently) and some places offset that by giving out a higher wage. It doesn't mean they come away with more money at the end of the day, as their rent, travel, food, etc is all higher than other places in the UK.

As people have said Publishers expecting us to often pay +25% on games is odd, especially digitally considering there's no packaging or shipping costs to HIKE the price up (which was the defense for so many years). Granted, I'm no Economic expert so there's probably a ton of things I haven't even considered or I'm aware of, but as a consumer it just comes across as they see the £ and € or somewhat 'strong' and think we should charge extra.

When you see the Steam Store have prices like $40us and then £40 (which is ~$60) for the same game... you just have to walk away. I can understand why people turned to Russian traders if this is Steam's Best Practice towards Price Parity.
No idea how accurate this is, just rambling on the internet before I've had my breakfast and coffee.

This is a little misleading because prices are updated with VAT on the price tag when you buy in the UK and are not in the US. Minus VAT (which is 20% on everything iirc) you're actually paying 32GBP plus 8GBP tax on that 40GBP purchase overall. In the US sales tax is added after the fact on the subtotal. Like here in OK we pay ~10% ST on everything, so that 40$ purchase becomes around 44$. This also isn't taking into account that game sales are lower in general in the UK vs the US, which forces devs to charge more in order to have workable profit margins (ie the us has a pop of ~3x the uk so they can afford to sell games for less because they'll sell more copies overall and make up the difference). So in actuality you are actually paying a difference of about 23%, which as stated above is actually a pretty fair margin considering how much larger the US market is.

Without this type of pricing, most games would never be localized for smaller markets because they couldn't afford to release them and make long term, sustainable profits.

You usually see this type of thing with the big pubs, as they spend millions on localization for specific regions and usually need that buffer to make money. It's kind of irrelevant on the indie scene though because they don't have productions on the scale of AAA(A) and can afford to do bare bones localization and get away with it because "hey they're indies, what do you expect?" and with internet globalization being such a huge thing in helping spread the English language it becomes less important for the small guys to even have to do them because they make games that focus on the core crowd of internet gamers who are more likely to know multiple languages vs the big time pubs who need the avg person buying their games in order to make money.

Cerity

I wasn't aware buying Russian software on steam is so popular. Like the games aren't cheap enough?!

I just bought CK2 complete for $11.50~ USD compared to the $39.99 USD it's listed at elsewhere. It's not like you're only saving 3-4 bucks.

Hope this never happens.

People are generally too lazy and don't want to risk it with VPN's. It's the case when games launch in other regions earlier, it was the case when cd key resellers were popular and valve started to clamp down and it'll be the case with this. It'll happen but it won't be anywhere near on a large a scale as key traders.

7hSn0UG.png

Worst thing here is that at least here in Finland you can find retail copies of the game for cheaper than that, €44.99 is the cheapest I've seen but now it seems to be €49.99 in most places. This is not the only game where this happens either, basically €59.99 is a terrible price that you should never be paying. Retail copies have Steam keys (except Ubisoft and EA) so there's usually no reason to buy on Steam.

So I will buy a lot less new games on steam then. Euro prices for new games in Steam are robbery. You can always get boxed copy cheaper.

Caayn

So does that mean that Steam and friends will fix the unfair prices for customers in certain countries....
7hSn0UG.png

It's high time that publishers stopped milking their customers with skewed currency exchange rates

If we're talking newer releases, Steam's often rather bad when it comes to dropping the price on them. Hell, even pre-orders. I've been so used to picking up new games at 50% off or so, and now I'll likely just be waiting awhile longer, or buying off of GMG. This is going to kill so many third party retailers.

RulkezX

This coupled with digital Pc games now costing as much as retail console games on Steam will definate see me buy far fewer games next year.

Can I still buy US Steam keys (off amazon.com) and activate the games here in Sweden?

I guess you don't live in Europe or Australia?
This is the reason why I liked being able to purchase or trade Steam games. Fuck Euro pricing.

Oh well, Steam was never my first choice nowadays anyway.
20111024gog.jpg

Say hello to superiority.

If GOG gets a good client working I might switch over, as it is now I prefer to buy games that activate on Steam rather than buying on GOG.

Arkanius

Already activated games are safe right?
Thank god

Still, I completely understand the decision. Ruble is going down hard, this would be a very expensive grey area.

The bad thing is that they won't open the floodgates again if the ruble comes back up in price.

Shahadan

Great now piracy will be back in force. PC gaming had a good comeback but it'll just go back to its old state now.

I'm kinda not kidding

Top Bottom