• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All The Last of Us 2 leaks/spoilers in here and nowhere else.

Umbral

Seattle bookstore
4AGNqaG.jpg

T3WTC6p.jpg

2FgEHam.png
It is Seattle.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I just want to add one thought to the discussion.

As I see it, Druckman imagines himself to be an *artiste,* and like a lot of artistes, he thinks that the purpose of art is to cause an emotional reaction in the viewer. If people react emotionally -- even if the reaction is disgust or anger -- then, to Druckman, that is proof he has been brave enough to create real art. He will take the negative feedback as validation. It won't cause him to re-think what he's done. It will just be self-validating. "I am an artiste who did a courageous thing. I got an emotional reaction out of people. I caused them to think."

It reminds me a little of the artists who do stuff just to shock people -- you know, they put Jesus in a jar of urine or something, or maybe they draw paintings with their own feces. When people have emotional reactions, they see that as validating. They have caused an emotional reaction in the audience, and that's what "real art" does.

I disagree with that view of art. I think real art expands your view of the world, it doesn't shrink it down and debase it. But that's a discussion for another thread.

My point is that Druckman is going to take all the negative feedback as self-validation of how much of a brave artiste he is.

Incidentally, this finally makes me understand what Rian Johnson was thinking.

The Last of Us Part II includes deadnaming and violence against a trans boy.

When you're making a LGBTQ game but LGBTQ people hate your game 🤡

Talk about garbage reporting "The original was praised for featuring a queer protagonist, Ellie, and the sequel introduces a new love interest for her." The first game was not praise for that as not only was Joel the protagonist but we didn't even know Ellie was gay till the DLC.

The rest of the article is straight up trash. You can't win with these people, there's no way to appease them. Everything is a problem. They want representation but if you give them that, they still bitch. It must be so taxing living like that.

Just a heads up for people thinking of buying Pathologic 2: do NOT get the PS4 version. It is awful and runs like shit. It's a marvelous game on PC but the port is as bad as anything I've ever seen.

Good heads up! The same warning goes to Xbox players! The game is on Game Pass but the stutter is insane, at least on the Xbox One S, don't know about the X1X. It made the game unplayable for me. Get it on PC!

Cybrwzrd

Banned
You know, this was the second game this year that I had spoiled for me before it came out, both games were games I was looking forward to, and both involved shithead devs looking to subvert the audience's expectations. I got to save my money on both titles (FF7 and TLOU2), but I am almost so sick of gaming at this point, and after the absolutely lackluster performance of Sony at that PS5 presser the other week that I am starting to think I am just done with gaming. Cyberpunk is the last game I am interested in at the moment. If it is fucked, I think I am just gonna move on from the hobby.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You know, this was the second game this year that I had spoiled for me before it came out, both games were games I was looking forward to, and both involved shithead devs looking to subvert the audience's expectations. I got to save my money on both titles (FF7 and TLOU2), but I am almost so sick of gaming at this point, and after the absolutely lackluster performance of Sony at that PS5 presser the other week that I am starting to think I am just done with gaming. Cyberpunk is the last game I am interested in at the moment. If it is fucked, I think I am just gonna move on from the hobby.

Not sure why you would be angry at FF7R. The devs stated from the outset, long before leaks, that the game was going to differ greatly from the original. Its also a damn good game with a great story. Would highly suggest you watch Clemps two videos on it if you haven't.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Not sure why you would be angry at FF7R. The devs stated from the outset, long before leaks, that the game was going to differ greatly from the original. Its also a damn good game with a great story. Would highly suggest you watch Clemps two videos on it if you haven't.

I have no reason to play FF7R because I know what the ending is, and I disagree with the direction they took with it. Plus I already know I will hate the combat from watching videos of it, so why bother?

Swadedtx

Banned
I think this whole situation has really exposed professional game reviewers. No I'm not saying they're paid off, but it really just confirms what we've known for awhile. That they don't write reviews for gamers, they write them for their peers in the industry. Alanah Pearce recently called this out, and I just heard it in penguiz0's recent vid too. The disconnect is unreal. Seeing all those 10/10's across the board juxtaposed with the backlash from gamers, and negative reviews from streamers and youtube reviewers, is not a good look. Professional game reviewers and gamers are just not on the same wavelength.

You know she's friends with people at naughty dog right? She's completely full of shit she says yes people have relationships with Devs but does that have any impact on there reviews.... of course it does no matter what you say. She's a bold faced liar #believewomen

Have you actually listened to IGN hosts talk? They don't seem critical of anything they don't need to be bought off. IGN doesn't hire those kind of employees. But a YouTube kn the other hand who has mo allegiance is a whole different story.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Don't know if this has been said yet....

Remember at the start or TLOU 1 when Joel's daughter gets killed by that random military guy.
Remember how sad that was when it picks up in the future to see what Joel has become and you understood why.
Then as his journey fleshes out with a slow burn and he starts bonding with Ellie.
Remember how dark the ending was as Joel has to face loosing another daughter for the future of mankind but decided, fuck that.
It was grim but relatable so it could easily be put up for debate if it was a good or bad thing.

Imagine if you played half of TLOU from the POV of that random military guy. The narrative of "he was just a guy flowing orders. It's not really his fault".
Don't think the game would have panned out as well.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

CAS just posted his review after finishing it on stream a day or 2 ago. Let's just say he didn't have a lot of good things to say.

CAS just posted his review after finishing it on stream a day or 2 ago. Let's just say he didn't have a lot of good things to say.

Silver lining in all of this is it might - might - be the catalyst for major change in the games industry.

carlosrox

Banned
At least when you start playing as Abby I think her face is pretty cute to be honest. Her design probably looks more weird later when she's not covered up though. Her chest honestly looks so weird. It's clear they didn't wanna give her a standard body cuz reasons....and she definitely has an androgynous look to her.

Honestly what I don't like about her so far is how she just styles on the infected. It has nothing to do with her being a woman, Abby, etc. I just think it looks goofy and minimizes the threat of the infected when she absolutely whups on them.
Gotta say that is already feeling like a goofy, out of place decision. It's like the way Leon or Chris deal with infected and RE had already gone the action route by the time RE4 and 5 rolled around.

She seems OP and I think she's definitely got some Mary Sue stuff going on. If she ragdolls clickers and the like I'll be pretty disappointed.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Work on your backlog and wait for Prime 4. 2024.

I think this whole situation has really exposed professional game reviewers. No I'm not saying they're paid off, but it really just confirms what we've known for awhile. That they don't write reviews for gamers, they write them for their peers in the industry. Alanah Pearce recently called this out, and I just heard it in penguiz0's recent vid too. The disconnect is unreal. Seeing all those 10/10's across the board juxtaposed with the backlash from gamers, and negative reviews from streamers and youtube reviewers, is not a good look. Professional game reviewers and gamers are just not on the same wavelength.
Hey man, stop being a bigot sandwich

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Don't know if this has been said yet....

Remember at the start or TLOU 1 when Joel's daughter gets killed by that random military guy.
Remember how sad that was when it picks up in the future to see what Joel has become and you understood why.
Then as his journey fleshes out with a slow burn and he starts bonding with Ellie.
Remember how dark the ending was as Joel has to face loosing another daughter for the future of mankind but decided, fuck that.
It was grim but relatable so it could easily be put up for debate if it was a good or bad thing.

Imagine if you played half of TLOU from the POV of that random military guy. The narrative of "he was just a guy flowing orders. It's not really his fault".
Don't think the game would have panned out as well.
The challenging part of TLoU 1 was, what you did in the hospital, was not right, but it felt right. There is probably nothing challenging in here.

Glad I decided to avoid the game after reading what happened to Joel. Such a fucking shame that the series turned into this.

Skipping around the cutscene video that was posted, what the hell is up with Abby? At times her arms are ridiculously massive and others she looks more like a woman? Is there a massive timeskip to explain the loss of muscle mass? Seems like an odd thing for Naughty Dog to fuck up.
Both Abby and the little girl Lev get capture. A few months go by before Ellie finds her tied to a pole at a work camp. Abby by then has lost most of her muscle mass.

Man, people are not reacting well to this on Youtube. Just saw a girl break down after the Joel in One scene and I felt bad for her.

I predict that people are going to be in a state of shock for about a week and then things are going to really blow up. People are going to be furious and coming after Sony and Naughty Dog.

Droxcy

My girlfriend is a die hard Last Of Us fan straight adored the first one and played MP like crazy. She got to the part where Joel dies and she instantly lost interest and got mad as fuck. Then her playing as the one person she's confused as hell and not even playing it anymore.

(she bought the collectors edition so $190)

Man, people are not reacting well to this on Youtube. Just saw a girl break down after the Joel in One scene and I felt bad for her.

I predict that people are going to be in a state of shock for about a week and then things are going to really blow up. People are going to be furious and coming after Sony and Naughty Dog.

That was my girlfriend yesterday and now she hasn't even touched the damn game

Last edited:

M1chl

Not to mention Dina can't stop yapping about how the Jews were annihilated during WW2 during the visit to the synagogue. ;)

I'm also annoyed by the fact that you can't kill sheep or other farm/wild animals in the game. Only dogs are allowed to die.
I should have stay silent, because of sensitivity of this topic, but almost same killcount happened in Poland, but they are appearantly Slavs, so they don't matter.

My girlfriend is a die hard Last Of Us fan straight adored the first one and played MP like crazy. She got to the part where Joel dies and she instantly lost interest and got mad as fuck. Then her playing as the one person she's confused as hell and not even playing it anymore.

(she bought the collectors edition so $190)

That was my girlfriend yesterday and now she hasn't even touched the damn game

I mean, it is so obvious just from watching these reactions that people were deeply invested in the Joel/Ellie relationship and really loved the characters. They don't care about sneaking around and triggering animations if it means they won't be able to return to what they cared about in the first game. What the hell were they thinking with this game, it is so blatantly cheap and sadistic.

Umbral

The challenging part of TLoU 1 was, what you did in the hospital, was not right, but it felt right. There is probably nothing challenging in here.
I would argue it was right.

Marlene had him led out at gunpoint so that he wouldn’t disrupt their bullshit, hail-mary attempt at a vaccine made possible by killing a young girl without her consent.

Humdinger

worst case, he convinced himself that he has created exotic masterpiece that mere mortal cant even comprehend it.

Yes, I'll bet that happens, too. He will dismiss the negative feedback as the price to be paid for greatness -- because after all, every great artiste faces opposition from the ignorant rabble.

On a different note, I was surprised to see that three outlets I figured would love a "woke" game -- Polygon, Kotaku, and Vice -- all were quite critical. They subverted my expectations, lol.

Dr Bass

Didn't you find out towards the end of the first one that they had already tried this with other people that were immune and it didn't work, so it was likely not to work this time as well? And the patient has to be killed?

That's why it was a "grey area," but, at least IMO, one heavily skewed towards saving Ellie. The fireflies ended up not being what you thought they were. That whole thing seems to be tossed out in this game. Abby should be ashamed of what her dad was going to do/had done. None of the story in part 2 makes sense, and it doesn't even seem to follow the events of the first one.

And those are just a few examples, you can add every Bioware game and many more RPG's to that list. Didn't Dragon Age Inquisition win Game of the Year? And that game not only had gay characters that you could bang (Dorian and Sera) but also had a trans character (Krem).

There are plenty of games that let the player be as gay as they want and no one had an issue with it. Hell I'm a straight guy but my Alexios fucked so many dudes in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey that I lost count. That man was a whore and I couldn't care less lol.

I actually cancelled my pre-order when the leaks came out because I didn't like what I read about the direction the story was going but due to the hype it kept me intrigued as to how it would actually play out.

Anyway, I was surprised how early on Joel's death happened, was expecting it to happen at least half way through.

I carried on and literally played the game in two 8h sessions. I have to say I turned the game off when the switch over to Abby happened, I simply lost interest up to that point as the game builds up Ellie's journey so the investment is to see her story play out. Switching to someone I had no interest in...3 days previously I was like fuck that. A 5 min action piece with her add the start was okay but to do hours with her from a slow build up and just can't.

I went straight to YouTube to check out the ending and I'm so glad I stopped. Im literally cheesed off as I was enjoying the game more that I expected up to that point (even though story and pacing is all over the shop). I don't understand why they decided to go in this direction. Rewind 3 days back to a character I have no interest in after all the build up with Ellie. If they wanted to do this they should have alternated the days between each character.

Sorry rant over lol🤦

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
It really baffles my mind why they didn't include that scene before Joel's death. It still doesn't make me like Abby but at least players would kind of understand her hatred and killing Joel. Also when Joel saves her life like 10/15 mins before his death how cool would have it been if we had a scene where she had second thoughts about killing him because he just saved her? Ugh, just so much wasted potential in this game.
The only thing that seemed to matter is the Social Justice Warrior agenda Cuckmann had to push. I could give a shit less if a character is gay or not in a game. I love the GTA 4 the ballad of gay tony. They seriously fucked up the story in the last of us 2.

TheWisp

It really baffles my mind why they didn't include that scene before Joel's death. It still doesn't make me like Abby but at least players would kind of understand her hatred and killing Joel. Also when Joel saves her life like 10/15 mins before his death how cool would have it been if we had a scene where she had second thoughts about killing him because he just saved her? Ugh, just so much wasted potential in this game.

I really think they didn't do it just for the shock factor. It's very cheap how fast it happens honestly, no build up, nothing.

M1chl

Didn't you find out towards the end of the first one that they had already tried this with other people that were immune and it didn't work, so it was likely not to work this time as well? And the patient has to be killed?

That's why it was a "grey area," but, at least IMO, one heavily skewed towards saving Ellie. The fireflies ended up not being what you thought they were. That whole thing seems to be tossed out in this game. Abby should be ashamed of what her dad was going to do/had done. None of the story in part 2 makes sense, and it doesn't even seem to follow the events of the first one.

No I did not, and that probably just cheapes this "challenging part". I do that, because for loved ones....everyone would do that.

Madflavor

You know she's friends with people at naughty dog right? She's completely full of shit she says yes people have relationships with Devs but does that have any impact on there reviews.... of course it does no matter what you say. She's a bold faced liar #believewomen

Have you actually listened to IGN hosts talk? They don't seem critical of anything they don't need to be bought off. IGN doesn't hire those kind of employees. But a YouTube kn the other hand who has mo allegiance is a whole different story.

I mean for whatever it's worth, I've heard her say straight from her mouth if she had to rate the game it'd be a 7 or 8 outta 10.

Top Bottom