• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All these 1080p/60fps PS4/Xbone announcements feel so unreal

Suairyu

Banned
You're much more likely to get games running at a high technical spec (frame rate and IQ) at launch.

Look at early 360 games - the IQ puts later 360 games to shame, which started lowering resolution and hiding everything behind post process filters to up the graphical shine.

There's no bar as such early on, so you can target 1080p and 60fps without worrying about looking graphically wanting in terms of filters and effects.

Raistlin

Much of the reason for the framrates are that many titles are cross-generational. Think of it like a PC game where the current gen is the required spec.

For genres that don't need it, expect the framrate to go down as we move to next gen only titles

Respawn

Banned
All those people yelling "YOU ARE DELUSIONAL IF YOU EXPECT 1080P AND 60 FPS" at this time last year and stuff crow up their faces so hard their eyes pop out.

Their prediction of no 1080p/60 FPS didn't bother me as much as their smug sense of "I'M RIGHT, AND I HAVE NO REASON TO BELIEVE I'M RIGHT BUT I'M RIGHT" BS.

So Carmack was wrong. He should have his crow stewed over rice.

Brofist

I honestly think slightly toned down graphics on the consoles is a fair trade off for 1080p and 60fps. I'm sure console gamers won't realize they aren't getting Ultra level PC settings anyway.

So Carmack was wrong. He should have his crow stewed over rice.

Too early to start saying all that.

X1/PS4 are pretty powerful machines, especially given limited OS overhead in PS4. Honestly these resolutions and framerates are expected given the specs.

OryoN

Some of the PS4/XBO hands-on demos aren't really looking/running as well as the pre-E3 hype would have us believe, so we'll see how it pans out at launch. But seeing a lot of Wii U games @ 60FPS(some even at 1080p), I'm guessing that some fine-tuning will go a long way between now and launch day.

kick51

Banned
These are just cross gen/early games. Once they start pushing the systems harder, the framerates will come down.

Perhaps they feel unreal because there haven't actually been many 1080p announcements (only 60fps) and even then 1080p doesn't mean 1920x1080 framebuffer resolution like people seem to want to think.

Wallach

I don't think you're going to see it become the standard, exactly; I suspect a lot of studios are chasing 60 FPS because the alternative is investing extremely heavily in assets. Especially for year one games, you're talking about a ridiculous leap in asset quality to compete with the top funded games. It is much more cost effective to instead use those gains to hit 60hz with more modest targets.

gdt

60 fps will NOT stick around long. It mostly seems to be cross gen games with 360/PS3 assets that are using the extra power to push 60fps. As soon as games and assets start being built for XB1/PS4 we'll go back down to regular 30fps to get stronger visuals to put on the box.

FACE

Banned
60 fps will NOT stick around long. It mostly seems to be cross gen games with 360/PS3 assets that are using the extra power to push 60fps. As soon as games and assets start being built for XB1/PS4 we'll go back down to regular 30fps to get stronger visuals to put on the box.

I'd take 720/60 over 1080/30.

Raonak

Banned
I think we're only seeing them because its an easy choice when up-porting PS360 designed titles.

Honestly. Im thinking this too.

The really impressive looking games will end up being 1080p/30fps

not that i mind that much, I'd rather take a solid, but dropped framerate over lower resolution. I want DAT 1080p standard.

kortez320

I don't know.

There's not really that many games confirmed for 60FPS. A couple shooters made the switch and that's a good thing. The vast majority of next-gen console games however will be at 30FPS.

It's also mostly cross-gen.

I wasn't around to yell about how 1080p/60 wasn't possible but if I were I don't think it's time to eat crow just yet.

As far as PC goes. 1080/60 is kind of the bare minimum. 120hz moniters are becoming pretty common. 1440/1600p is cool. 5760*1080 is even cooler.

If you can't think of a way to push your machine you're not thinking.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know.

There's not really that many games confirmed for 60FPS. A couple shooters made the switch and that's a good thing. The vast majority of next-gen console games however will be at 30FPS.

I wasn't around to yell about how 1080p/60 wasn't possible but if I were I don't think it's time to eat crow just yet.

As far as PC goes. 1080/60 is kind of the bare minimum. 120hz moniters are becoming pretty common. 1440/1600p is cool. 5760*1080 is even cooler.

This. I don't care as much about a high framerate in all games, but 1080p/0-2xAA is pretty much "low" as far as IQ goes. SSAA and downsampling have spoiled me.

belmonkey

I dunno if I'd be too surprised if BF4 will get 1080p since it will be a cross-gen game too. Maybe no or less MSAA tho (among a few other losses). The thing I wonder about though is frame stability. There always seemed to be framedrops on current-gen consoles, but it I don't think it was that bad when the FPS was 30. Now that the FPS is 60, won't those framedrops be a lot more noticeable and bothersome on consoles?

I'm not entirely shocked because people have been seriously underestimating the advancements in GPU tech since the current consoles were released. The pc hasn't even been really pushed to its limits yet. It's been console port with a slab of dx11 paint on top for years now. There much more capable than the crap in the ps360, but they will be pushed once this new gen matures

belmonkey

I'm not entirely shocked because people have been seriously underestimating the advancements in GPU tech since the current consoles were released. The pc hasn't even been really pushed to its limits yet. It's been console port with a slab of dx11 paint on top for years now. There much more capable than the crap in the ps360, but they will be pushed once this new gen matures

While I have limited knowledge of the matter, I have a feeling that current PC GPUs will have an advantage when running next-gen games because it would all be running on "PC-like" hardware anyway, so more optimization.

i-Lo

As the gen progresses and devs try get more out the systems both will have to give. I foresee games featuring sub 1080p (but over 720p especially for PS4) resolution upscaled to 1080p running at 30fps. It is inevitable and I have no qualms with it. Of course, it's a design choice and the any and all games can be 1080p and/or 60fps.

Btw, did they confirm that BF4 was running at 1080p?

Trickster

I don't know.

Uh sure, you can push your pc really far. But you honestly gotta be realistic here. Not ever gamer is hardcore graphics whore that can or wants to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars upgrading the the greatest and latest new hardware each year.

It'd be like someone who owns a ferrari, complaining that everyone else in their boring normal cars are driving too slow.

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but if youtube promotion videos are any indication as to the native rendering resolution for a game then one could deduce that some of MS titles are going to be 720p. I could be wrong, but this is just my observation.

For example:

Forza was confirmed as a 1080p 60fps title and therefore its Youtube gameplay video on the official xbox channel is 1080p.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYTx9DFWMSI

Official Dead Rising Video from Xbox Channel (1080p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLPKIW81wNA

Official Quantum Break video from xbox channel (1080p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KzBVewfEg

If the assumption that most games shown at E3 are at least 1080p, then one would assume that the marketing team would scale all of their promo videos to that resolution. right? Why would they downscale the resolution of a promo video for a 1080p game to 720p?

The official gameplay for Ryse on the Xbox channel (720p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MfYuP6L44k

Official Titan Fall video on Xbox Channel (720p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnOxE4i1-XA

BF4
Official Battlefield 4 video on Xbox Channel (720P)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh2RDZgyBc8

VS.

here is the Official BF4 reveal gameplay video "Fishing in Baku" on PC (1080p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8HVQXkeU8U

Are my claims plausible or am I missing something? And I'm not saying MS or any developers promised 1080p and didnt deliver the goods. I just want to see if there is a correlation between the resolution of official promo videos and native rendering resolution of the game. Please note that I did not use 3rd party sourced videos from IGN, Gamespot, etc. which all seemed to be down sampled by default. These are ALL official promo videos on the Xbox Channel

kortez320

Uh sure, you can push your pc really far. But you honestly gotta be realistic here. Not ever gamer is hardcore graphics whore that can or wants to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars upgrading the the greatest and latest new hardware each year.

It'd be like someone who owns a ferrari, complaining that everyone else in their boring normal cars are driving too slow.

Of course you are right.

But thousands of dollars isn't really that much to support a hobby for a typical adult. I have friends who pay a lot more for various other things.

At any rate it really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. My point was simply that display tech is going to continue advancing for about as far as we can see into the future. 1080p isn't a stopping point.

The finish line is when we reach a point where resolution is so high you no longer need AA. Or at least one of the finish lines.

Smokey

I really don't think we'll see anything less than 1080p on PS4/Xbone.

Come back in a few years and revisit this statement. Once devs start digging in and creating content that was designed for the PS4/X1, you'll see the resolution and frame rate take a hit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I dunno if I'd be too surprised if BF4 will get 1080p since it will be a cross-gen game too. Maybe no or less MSAA tho (among a few other losses). The thing I wonder about though is frame stability. There always seemed to be framedrops on current-gen consoles, but it I don't think it was that bad when the FPS was 30. Now that the FPS is 60, won't those framedrops be a lot more noticeable and bothersome on consoles?
Dropping 10-20 frames from 30 puts the game in the unplayable range. But that's not a problem at 60.

HTupolev

I really don't think we'll see anything less than 1080p on PS4/Xbone.

Developer in 2013 porting a 7th-gen game to PS4:
"1080p60 is great, let's do it!"

Developer in 2015 building a new game for PS4:
"1080p60 is great! You know what's also great? STENCIL SHADOWS!*"

*I can dream, right?

Dropping 10-20 frames from 30 puts the game in the unplayable range. But that's not a problem at 60.
A performance spike that drops 10-20 at 30fps would drop 20-40 at 60fps. Which isn't as bad as the former case, but it still totally sucks.

BubbaMc

Come back in a few years and revisit this statement. Once devs start digging in and creating content that was designed for the PS4/X1, you'll see the resolution and frame rate take a hit.

I guess I was hoping that would be the case. 720p material on a 1080p display looks horrible, with the only TV's available today being 1080p, I thought that Sony and Microsoft would take note and proceed accordingly.

belmonkey

My old laptop gets a frequent 60 FPS in some games, but occasionally when just playing normally the FPS suddenly drops to 40-55 FPS, causing the whole game to jerk, which is horribly annoying, even more so when coming from a game that was running buttery smooth.

Top Bottom