• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All this time and I didn't realize where Shadow's eyes were (FF6)

Mman235

I've got one of my own. The killer plant monsters in Chrono Trigger:

WMZethJ.gif

In their idle animation I always see them as some beaked monster with tentacle limbs holding two orbs and wearing garish clothing with a large collar and a hood. Their real form is clearer once they start moving but even now I have a hard time seeing what they're supposed to be when they're idle.

BN1ozas.png

Today's literally the first time I didn't see it as a derpy guy with a big schnoz.

I've heard this "Caesar" thing for years, and I just can't see it, even with the drawing. All the other ones, I can see if I try, except for Ryu in that RE logo. But not this. Maybe if we re-colored some pixels...

The Agahnim thing was discussed in the mind-blowing videogame facts thread quite a while back, and this picture was posted. I'm told it's a better representation of dorky Agahnim than the ones posted so far here, because of his skinny legs:

agahnim.jpg

How could you think that her face looked like that when you saw this every time she faced forward?

luccaforaudition.png

I definitely see her glasses in every other sprite, but sometimes up/down facing sprites are very different than the left/right facing versions.

There is much less contrast between her glasses and her skin in the lateral sprite, so the lone black pixel on her face always looked like a mouth to me rather than the bottom of her glasses.

huffin_puffin.jpg

My girlfriend sees this character as wearing a bikini top with straps.

I always saw hands holding up pants, which I'm pretty sure is what it's supposed to be.
She didn't appreciate my laughter.

Official art for reference:

Yoshis-Island-Huffin-Puffins.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
huffin_puffin.jpg

My girlfriend sees this character as wearing a bikini top with straps.

I always saw hands holding up pants, which I'm pretty sure is what it's supposed to be.
She didn't appreciate my laughter.

Official art for reference:

Yoshis-Island-Huffin-Puffins.jpg

I always thought they were big-ol' buttons, and that he was armless!

I'm enjoying looking at a lot of these a lot.

I agree that Shadow's spirte was kinda unclear and I still can't see Emperor Gestahl as anything but a dog-man. He's a dog.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Don't have your mind blown just yet. You guys might be right about the buttons.
I mean, why would he have yellow hands. I'm not convinced of my own theory now.
Mos def arms and hands imo.

ibdbNDOqJVEqIb.gif

Maybe he's wearing gloves, but the beak is always the same color as the hands. Here's how they looked in Yoshi's Story:

ibkh5m68znK8OX.PNG

pa22word

I seriously don't get the shadow one...isn't this:

1542775-shadow__final_fantasy_vi__menu.png

His in game avatar? It's been more than a decade since I last played it, but it was pretty obvious based on that what he looked like. Relative to the avatar what you thought his eyes were are obviously part of his mask.

Alex

The only time I had a sprite confusion like this was Emperor Gestahl in FFVI

But I feel legitimized in that ever since they put in the Gestahl Minion in FFXIV

q3wpqHx.png

Link1110

Never had any of the issues mentioned in the thread, however I did have one from FF6 as well.

w7N2AS6.png

For whatever reason, my brain registered Emperor Gestahl as a dog-man for the longest time. I saw a snout and big floppy doggy ears. It wasn't a huge stretch to me, since previous FF games had furry peeps before. It wasn't until I saw artwork of him much later that I was able to un-see my initial take.
I always registered those white things in the sides as his arms, as if he always has a massive headache and he wants everyone to know it

Top Bottom