• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All this time and I didn't realize where Shadow's eyes were (FF6)

If you look closely into Shadow's eyes there is a single purple pixel

I don't blame you. Them 16-bit graphics confused a lot of people back in the day.

the_legend_of_zelda___a_link_to_the_past___agahnim_by_the_blue_pirate-d64ynpx.jpg

This one always got me.

This is actually the number six.

uLwptDl.jpg

The greatest. Thats hall of fame "cannot unsee" shit right there.

Sgblues

The one I've seen and still does confuse people are pugils in FF11, they appear to have no eyes but they do, just look along their snout, their eyes are right where what looks like nostrils.

Land_Pugil.png

BeachPugil.jpg

Though it doesn't seem to help them much as they detect by sound.

I never had any issues with sprites, always saw them as intended.

That said, I really do admire sprite artists from the 8-bit/16-bit era as a lot of those do hold up from the limitations of the hardware back then.

Chatin

Wow, my mind is blown. I always saw him as black/brown with his face visible. Seeing the sprite art as intended looks so wrong.

Tiops

I used to think Grahf had a really long face with a stupid talking smiling thingy.
tumblr_mbltbbFsJz1rawb5do1_400.jpg
Yeah, this one gave me trouble as a kid. I had to look at the portrait for some time to see what it was supposed to be. I only saw the stupid long face, but after some time I noticed which part was the mask and my mind was blown.

I always used to think that Poliwag's little pink mouth was actually its nose, and its stomach-swirl-thing (actually its organs) was its mouth somehow.

poliwag.jpg
poliwa37.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't get the RE6 one. Of course it's a 6. Did anyone ever see anything (giraffe sex jokes aside)?

No problem with Lucca either, always saw that as a goggle.

I've never had any trouble with sprites from memory. All the things posted I saw them as they actually are all along.

I do giggle at the silly logos though like RE6 giraffe blowjob and London Olympics Lisa blowjob. Can't unsee those.

I used to think Grahf had a really long face with a stupid talking smiling thingy.

Oh man, I never saw the long smiley face thing before! His tiny portrait in dialogue boxes, especially on an SD TV, still confused me though. I knew it couldn't possibly be right, but all I saw when I was younger was

aBbGvTM.jpg

It was till I saw more artwork of him outta the game I got his design. Which really I think is pretty cool. Just looked weird cropped.

Anyway, awesome thread.

I always used to think that Poliwag's little pink mouth was actually its nose, and its stomach-swirl-thing (actually its organs) was its mouth somehow.

poliwag.jpg
poliwa37.gif

Oh god, I actually didn't ever think of it that way. I always thought the swirl was some weird mouth/they had no mouths, since the little pink thing goes away in the other two forms.

balgajo

Never had any of the issues mentioned in the thread, however I did have one from FF6 as well.

w7N2AS6.png

For whatever reason, my brain registered Emperor Gestahl as a dog-man for the longest time. I saw a snout and big floppy doggy ears. It wasn't a huge stretch to me, since previous FF games had furry peeps before. It wasn't until I saw artwork of him much later that I was able to un-see my initial take.

I'm dying at this thread....I always saw him as a dog emperor too....lol

The one I've seen and still does confuse people are pugils in FF11, they appear to have no eyes but they do, just look along their snout, their eyes are right where what looks like nostrils.

Land_Pugil.png

BeachPugil.jpg

Oh man I've played this game for years and I never noticed.

Halfmunch

Land_Pugil.png

BeachPugil.jpg

Oh wow lol, had no idea been playing this game years!
It looks a lot scarier now!

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member

This one gave me trouble at first. Once you realise where Grahf's eyes are its quite easy to see how the artist intended it to look.

For those who can't see it, look to the left of the orange/yellow glow (his LEFT eye) and you can see another orange/yellow glow, that's his RIGHT eye. Once you see that its pretty easy to make out the rest of the mask he is wearing.

Timeless

This is one I always saw as a child. The legs are a side view, so you can see the tip of its left leg. The rest of the left leg is covered by the right leg. [OC]

5nzr1Jv.png

As I've gotten older,
it's becoming harder and harder to see it. :(

Top Bottom