• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All this time and I didn't realize where Shadow's eyes were (FF6)

Pretty sure it was discussed here, but Q Bee is pretty creepy with her "hair" eyes.

xQaRPqH.jpg

Never had any of the issues mentioned in the thread, however I did have one from FF6 as well.

w7N2AS6.png

For whatever reason, my brain registered Emperor Gestahl as a dog-man for the longest time. I saw a snout and big floppy doggy ears. It wasn't a huge stretch to me, since previous FF games had furry peeps before. It wasn't until I saw artwork of him much later that I was able to un-see my initial take.

Nordicus

Never had any of the issues mentioned in the thread, however I did have one from FF6 as well.

w7N2AS6.png

For whatever reason, my brain registered Emperor Gestahl as a dog-man for the longest time. I saw a snout and big floppy doggy ears. It wasn't a huge stretch to me, since previous FF games had furry peeps before. It wasn't until I saw artwork of him much later that I was able to un-see my initial take.
Aah, I can see that!

I thought Gestahl's sprite was pretty weird in general

Magnus

Owzer in FF6 threw me off big time, too. Only with the mobile iOS port did the sprite clarity permit me to make sense of the sprite.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Qmh7FFh.png

on the left is a guy with a mohawk, big ears and his mouth is agape. maybe a booger.

on the right is an obvious Julius Caesar in cartoon fashion....

but I'm told it's really a zora and a dragon??

Dr Bass

Qmh7FFh.png

on the left is a guy with a mohawk, big ears and his mouth is agape. maybe a booger.

Wait, what is this supposed to look like then. I've always seen it exactly as you describe here. At least the one on the left. The right looks like a dragon.

Qmh7FFh.png

Now I'm curious on where do you see the Julius Caesar.

Anustart

Did all of you think shadow was a Cyclops? If his head piece looked like goggles, there's only one eye piece, so monoggle?

Well I guess it could be a large piece for both, but still makes no sense. I can understand some others in here, except that zora and dragon one. How in the name of zeus' butt hole is that Julius Caesar...

HoodWinked

FF6ShadowSprites.PNG

I thought his face with covered in a mask with him looking out of the things that look like goggles.

I find out his eyes are below that and mouth/chin are below that hidden by the mask. I somehow couldn't tell when playing it on the SNES.

i always sort of thought he looked like a brown bear in a black suit i obviously knew he wasnt but it made it fun for me.

4wj3O.gif

The problem with the Shadow sprite is that I knew from the beginning what was supposed to be going on there, but it was still hard not to see the brown circle as being where his eyes went.

w7N2AS6.png

For whatever reason, my brain registered Emperor Gestahl as a dog-man for the longest time. I saw a snout and big floppy doggy ears.

I refuse on principle to see him as anything else.

This is only halfway there. You also have to see the two purple stripes from his jacket as ultra-skinny knock-knee legs.

Coreda

This reminds me of my mis-interpretation of Quote from Cave Story:

5aiUPVu.gif

Played the whole (original) game thinking Quote was seen in profile, with only one eye visible and I suppose one side of the headphones forming a nose. Turns out there are two eyes and with his face towards the viewer.

Never even played FF6 enough to get to the point where I see this guy and I always assumed the part under the brown was his eyes... maybe I'm just odd.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

w7N2AS6.png

I've usually been pretty good about seeing sprites as intended, but this one for me as well. It blew my mind when I discovered Gestahl wasn't some weird dog-man.

I think its the big block of black pixels that does it. My mind thinks of a dog nose with that.

Mind blown. FF6 is one of my favorite games, and I had never seen it correctly.

I think someone told me, or I read, that Shadow was Black and that must be why I always saw it that way.

Anustart

Well, for more ff 6 action, I used to think these mouse enemies had a little red/green hat on, head turned away from screen with horrifying mouths on their stomach.

Opera-House-battle-FFVI-iOS.png

He kinda still looks like a frog man, or at least a creature man. Remember, this is also a world where a wolf-headed thief named Lone Wolf exists, as well as Umaro. It's quite plausible that other strange humanoid "creatures" live in FFVI's world.

Though Gestahl, I knew he was an old man.

Anustart

He kinda still looks like a frog man, or at least a creature man. Remember, this is also a world where a wolf-headed thief named Lone Wolf exists, as well as Umaro. It's quite plausible that other strange humanoid "creatures" live in FFVI's world.

Though Gestahl, I knew he was an old man.

I see jabba the hut in that art work.

Top Bottom