• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All this time and I didn't realize where Shadow's eyes were (FF6)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've seen a lot of these sprites for how they were intended, but some of these alternate perceptions are so convincing I can't unsee them now.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I've seen a lot of these sprites for how they were intended, but some of these alternate perceptions are so convincing I can't unsee them now.

Which ones?

I struggle to see most of the ones people post.

Except for dog-man Gestahl. Dem floppy ears and dog nose.

Yep...

whatthefuuuuuuu.png

Quick sketch, but for the longest time, I thought he looked like this:

wv5K7aR.png

Like he was wearing some sort of Ninja scuba gear.

This is actually the number six.

uLwptDl.jpg

In no way affiliated with my avatar....

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Which ones?

I struggle to see most of the ones people post.

Except for dog-man Gestahl. Dem floppy ears and dog nose.
Dog-man Gestahl, dot-eyed Lucca, and strangely enough Agahnim as a long haired with bangs covering her eyes.

So.. Shadow's not a black ninja? Way to be retroactively not inclusive Square :(
There's a very neatly hidden subplot about Shadow's past in the game, which shows what he looked like without his get-up. The low fidelity of the sprites does leave stuff to the imagination. Shadow's in-game skin-colour isn't very different from General Leo's and Leo was black. Eventhough the PS1 FMVs and iOS port contradict it, Shadow is still a brother in my heart.

Its obvious some of you are reaching now to make it seem more hilarious some people have terrible perception especially with shadow and his portrait in the menu clearly showing how his face was - what did people think he lifted up his goggles just for the menu?

the more i read the more this is a crazygaf thread

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This might be stupid but it took me almost 15 ears to realise that Talon and Basil in Ocarina of Time are basically Mario and Luigi.
Large, skinny guy with mustache wearing white/green, smaller rounder guy with mustache wearing blue/red. And they are wearing a Bowser Amulette for Christ's sake.
I only realised that while playing Ocarina of Time 3D
ss_lozoot_talon.jpg

E-Cat

Never had any of the issues mentioned in the thread, however I did have one from FF6 as well.

w7N2AS6.png

For whatever reason, my brain registered Emperor Gestahl as a dog-man for the longest time. I saw a snout and big floppy doggy ears. It wasn't a huge stretch to me, since previous FF games had furry peeps before. It wasn't until I saw artwork of him much later that I was able to un-see my initial take.

You are lying, he's a dog

Meneses

I always saw Shadow's goggles, too (even though his menu pic told me it wasn't like that).

Also, can't find a screenshot right now, but when I first played Xenogears, Grahf's portrait confused me a lot.

lazygecko

Guilty as charged on both Shadow and Agahnim. I also had one of these with the icon for the orc peon in Warcraft 2... Really weird. Must have been thanks to the perspective and how tiny the right eye is. Basically the left tusk looked like some kind of beak/mouth, and the left ear looked more like a closed eyelid as if he was winking or something.

peon0vj97.jpg

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
uLwptDl.jpg

To me it looks like a seahorse giving head to a dinosaur.

It's a giraffe standing on his hind legs, with his front legs resting on the back of a lady who's bent over at a 90° angle to give him oral pleasure. Her hands are placed on her kneecaps.

Just makes no sense in the sprite. If that's just a hat, why does it have tufts of hair falling over the head band all around the head?

Clearly that 3DS shot is retconning or making more clear the original intent for that hat to be a fake head of hair. It's definitely supposed to have looked like hair I'm sure, but was too convincing? You know, like all the cool kids are wearing hats that look like messy white hair. Wait.. I just realized.. The person who made the sprite probably also thought it was supposed to be hair. I mean, look at the 3DS model. That shit is 100 percent hat.. None of the confusing hair details as in the sprite are there anymore.

Heroman

Banned
Just makes no sense in the sprite. If that's just a hat, why does it have tufts of hair falling over the head band all around the head?

Clearly that 3DS shot is retconning or making more clear the original intent for that hat to be a fake head of hair. It's definitely supposed to have looked like hair I'm sure, but was too convincing? You know, like all the cool kids are wearing hats that look like messy white hair. Wait.. I just realized.. The person who made the sprite probably also thought it was supposed to be hair. I mean, look at the 3DS model. That shit is 100 percent hat.. None of the confusing hair details as in the sprite are there anymore.
You can see it a hat in offical art

You can see it a hat in offical art

But maybe the person who designed the sprite didn't.

Can you explain the breaks in the headband design that are on all sides of the headband?

I mean, clearly that isn't happening at all in the 3DS version. Like they realized.. 'oh, that wasn't hair?', okay, it's totally a hat now.

Heroman

Banned
But maybe the person who designed the sprite didn't.

Can you explain the breaks in the headband design that are on all sides of the headband?

I mean, clearly that isn't happening at all in the 3DS version. Like they realized.. 'oh, that wasn't hair?', okay, it's totally a hat now.
If you look closely at the sprite you can see the hair.

mattp

This one gave me trouble at first. Once you realise where Grahf's eyes are its quite easy to see how the artist intended it to look.

For those who can't see it, look to the left of the orange/yellow glow (his LEFT eye) and you can see another orange/yellow glow, that's his RIGHT eye. Once you see that its pretty easy to make out the rest of the mask he is wearing.

i dont think this one
there are anine cutscenes in the game that show his face from head on. did no one watch those? lol

scaled.php

Its obvious some of you are reaching now to make it seem more hilarious some people have terrible perception especially with shadow and his portrait in the menu clearly showing how his face was - what did people think he lifted up his goggles just for the menu?

the more i read the more this is a crazygaf thread

c'mon man, how many of those illustrations had legitimate differences in hair color, accessories, etc? Even in the portraits, you get a sense that Shadow has dark skin, and the headpiece doesn't overshadow his face.

Stulaw

in the same vein Ruto's real eyes are on the side of her head

9SmtGAJ.jpg
I always thought those were her ears. But yeah, her front face is probably an avatar to show expression, either that or she uses both sets as eyes, with the others for seeing underwater or behind her.

MIAtrix

Neo Member
Xenogears is my favorite game and I still always saw the smiling Grahf. I just assumed it was some super deformed mask or something. It's not like he would have been the only super deformed-type thing in that game so I didn't think much of it.

CAIN01.jpg

I mean, look how long Big Joe's chin is!!!

45-P0bDY.jpg

Taruranto

The one I've seen and still does confuse people are pugils in FF11, they appear to have no eyes but they do, just look along their snout, their eyes are right where what looks like nostrils.

Land_Pugil.png

BeachPugil.jpg

Though it doesn't seem to help them much as they detect by sound.

Fuck.

th4tguy

Xenogears is my favorite game and I still always saw the smiling Grahf. I just assumed it was some super deformed mask or something. It's not like he would have been the only super deformed-type thing in that game so I didn't think much of it.

CAIN01.jpg

I mean, look how long Big Joe's chin is!!!

45-P0bDY.jpg

Love this game sooo much

I always thought those were her ears. But yeah, her front face is probably an avatar to show expression, either that or she uses both sets as eyes, with the others for seeing underwater or behind her.

Definitely uses both sets.

People just seem pleasantly weirded out by the concept of a face or eyes being fake.
But they look just as real as Link's and considering she has all those other seemingly functional face parts, we have no reason to believe the eyes are completely artificial.

Drain You

This is one I always saw as a child. The legs are a side view, so you can see the tip of its left leg. The rest of the left leg is covered by the right leg. [OC]

5nzr1Jv.png

As I've gotten older,
it's becoming harder and harder to see it. :(

Anyone care to try and explain this better? I've been staring at this picture trying to understand but I just don't get it.

espher

I also had one of these with the icon for the orc peon in Warcraft 2... Really weird. Must have been thanks to the perspective and how tiny the right eye is. Basically the left tusk looked like some kind of beak/mouth, and the left ear looked more like a closed eyelid as if he was winking or something.

peon0vj97.jpg

To this day, that's still how my brain first interprets it.

Top Bottom