• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Allowing Women To Drive Would Mean No More Virgins, Says Saudi Religious Council

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there really a story about a raped women marrying her rapist in Saudi Arabia to protect her honor or is this just some joke?

It happens quite often a raped woman is forced to marry the rapist. Yes, it happens. Yes, we are still buying oil from them while bullying more moderate Islam countries like Iran. Yes, I agree this is fucking stupid.

Saudi Arabia is currently considering a law for women to cover up their eyes if they are deemed too "tempting."

What, WHAT?!

I lived there for 6 years when I was young and not of my free will, if I was an adult, I'd be punching these people left and right. Saudi Arabia is the worst case of Islamic fundamentalists gone wild. Stupid country making all Muslims feel bad.

jaxword

Is there really a story about a raped women marrying her rapist in Saudi Arabia to protect her honor or is this just some joke?

There's stories of that happening in Morocco, Jordan, and Afghanistan, but specifically Saudi Arabian cases are harder to find.

There are similar cases, however, like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatif_rape_case where the rape victims were punished with six months in prison and 90 lashes each for "being alone with a man who is not a relative" in a parked car.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It happens in plenty of places. Most recently I remember a case in Morocco. The girl killed herself.

It happens quite often a raped woman is forced to marry the rapist. Yes, it happens. Yes, we are still buying oil from them while bullying more moderate Islam countries like Iran. Yes, I agree this is fucking stupid.

There's stories of that happening in Morocco, Jordan, and Afghanistan, but specifically Saudi Arabian cases are harder to find.

There are similar cases, however, like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatif_rape_case where the rape victims were punished with six months in prison and 90 lashes each for "being alone with a man who is not a relative" in a parked car.

Ah. The wording in Dead Man's post implies that the lady herself is doing it to protect her own honor--that she does that in her own volition, not being forced by a family member or something, which is why I raised my eyebrow to that.

Here's a story of the victim getting back at the rapist in Turkey.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-09-05/...ey-rape-beheading_1_source-honor-coffee-house

I know about this story. Horrific situation all around.

Dead Man

Old. I'm pretty sure there was a thread on it here a while ago

Old article, couldn't find a thread on it though. Links to old threads are appreciated if your only contribution is to call out 'old' :)

Ah. The wording in Dead Man's post implies that the lady herself is doing it to protect her own honor--that she does that in her own volition, not being forced by a family member or something, which is why I raised my eyebrow to that.

I know about this story. Horrific situation all around.

I was just continuing the horrible, farcical and yet totally plausible example from the previous post.

Drencrom

The reasoning just baffles me, I can't fathom people in this day and age actually can be this fucking stupid, self-centered and misogynistic.

This is why I can't take religion and their followers seriously anymore.

MasLegio

Banned
Its such a joke as is the idea that saudi arabia is an islamic state.

there is no functioning Islamic state anywhere

religion and politics do not and should not mix

Religion should only be on the personal level, and never used to control people.

We just recently (almost) got rid of religion as a state influencer in Europe, lets hope it never happens again.

Ikael

Saudi Arabia is not even a state. It is the private property of the Saud family, believe it or not, like how the Kongo was the property of King Leopold of Belgium. SA is a of mix of the worst possible goverments that mankind has ever created trought history, but unlike North Korea, with lots and lots of cash at their disposal *sigh*

Chuckie

If the women cover their eyes, how can they see?!

Burqaface2th.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
Ship all the "tempting" Saudi women to America to be whorrible (yeah I said whorrible deal with it) and we can ship them all of our religious nuts who want the same kind of society they have at the moment.

Sounds like a great trade!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wh... WHAT? I can't even start to comprehend that kind of twisted and nonsensical logic. How are driving and having sex related?

Ship all the "tempting" Saudi women to America to be whorrible (yeah I said whorrible deal with it) and we can ship them all of our religious nuts who want the same kind of society they have at the moment.

Those damn whores, always tempting us males with their promiscuous eyes...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

Oh my god yes

Christine

Wh... WHAT? I can't even start to comprehend that kind of twisted and nonsensical logic. How are driving and having sex related?

Prohibiting women from driving ensures that any time they leave home they'll be in the company of male chaperons.

I only wish. Love the sound of that.

jaxword

The entire point of these ancient religious laws is to control sexuality (mainly women).

Remove the women and there goes the power, and there goes any reason whatsoever to follow the holy rules.

7aged

No thanks. How about you just take our nutters and leave it there.

7aged

The entire point of these ancient religious laws is to control sexuality (mainly women).

Remove the women and there goes the power, and there goes any reason whatsoever to follow the holy rules.

Not really. No ruler has ever gone to war over women covering up. Believing in the wrong skydaddy though... plenty

The only thing she is missing is a leash. I'm sure they will have a new law for that soon. Men will tie up their possessions on a bike rack or something before they go shopping. They will also take them for a walk every morning.

Honestly, I wonder just how much dehumanization women are willing to accept in that country.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Prohibiting women from driving ensures that any time they leave home they'll be in the company of male chaperons.
But are they forbidden to use public transportation? I know it's a different culture and all, but I still don't understand how they think that's OK. Why should women be considered inferior? Don't they ever ask themselves that question?

But are they forbidden to use public transportation? I know it's a different culture and all, but I still don't understand how they think that's OK. Why should women be considered inferior? Don't they ever ask themselves that question?

Because. Really, this is all the explanation you need in places like SA. We are talking about a place where religious clerics debate on television whether a man can have gay sex if the ultimate purpose is to stuff his ass with explosives and become a suicide bomber. I AM NOT MAKING THIS SHIT UP.

Waited till someone starts the 'true Islam is not like that' train.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Are you contradicting a professor? The man is an academic; clearly far more qualified than you or I to interpret the messages encrypted in the body language of the inscrutable creature called woman.

This is sadly the argument I get every time I try to debate a fellow Saudi about an issue pertaining to religion/culture. "Professor" could be replaced with "Sheikh" depending on the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom