• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone in the Dark: Illumination Beta Impressions

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275060

EDIT 04/10: Multiplayer Beta is live. Have impressions soon.

-------

This is a thread for those who are playing Alone in the Dark: Illumination's beta to post impressions for the game. This first beta features the first campaign of the game (of four campaigns), which is composed of four levels. It will be followed by some other betas (I will repurpose this topic at that time for those future betas), but this first beta is single-player only, and you can only play as the Hunter class. The first beta runs to February 2nd.

I pre-ordered and am in the beta, and I have some pretty in-depth thoughts now after playing it for about two hours on it.

---

So, I'm going to work my impressions a little bit backwards. I'm going to start with what I thought in basic, and then go more into specifics. Well, a lot of people thought this game was going to be downright terrible, and honestly it isn't. In it's current state, I couldn't recommend it, but if they polish it more and listen to some feedback in the next few months leading up to release, it could actually end up being a pretty good & fun game with tense moments and some pretty good diversity in levels for some good co-op fun. I actually had fun playing it, and was surprised at the slower-pace, atmosphere, and level design of the title, but there's somethings that need some fine tuning to help the title become a pretty decent co-op horror game.

BBCCA1AB6369B49A025F5061A58A75B46A7ECD2B

The stages in the game open up with a page of dialogue written by some character named, "The Author". These appear to be different between characters you can play as, which I'm assuming since for the four stages I played the pages were all directed at the character playable in the beta, "Carnby," or The Hunter. All are immediately skipable, but actually aren't all that badly written and I found fairly interesting to read as they developed. It's not quite how I expected the game to play off it's narrative, but I came out enjoying these well enough, and as you start off in a safe room, there's no worry about getting hurt while you read it.

The biggest thing that just downright impressed me was the lighting. Now, this is an Unreal Engine 4 game, so I figure that has something to do with it. The game is actually very dark, which most of the time would maybe be a con, but I actually thought it was well used here. Some environments are more well-lit naturally than others, but a lot of the game is dark and makes it that if you aren't paying attention, looking around with your flashlight (which is only directly ahead of you when you pull out your gun and at your feet when walking or running), or using the lights you can turn on in the environment, it can conceal a lot of things. There were a number of times I'd pull out my flashlight to skim around and be surprised to find something coming at me in the darkness. It added more than I would of expected, but more than just the darkness, the lighting is handled pretty well. Between flashes of thunder to give you a complete look around you in the first level, and even lightning striking somewhere randomly in the level and giving off a flash to stuff nearby. Or in the second level, in the tunnels where you can burn trash-bins or activate construction zone lights switches connected to wires that turn light on elsewhere, the game gave off mystifying glows, and how the light reflected off the water, floors, walls, the monsters and characters, all was very impressive.

The game itself doesn't look bad, I notice the screens I took through Steam makes it look a bit worse than how I recall in gameplay and more compressed and jaggy (likely Steam screenshots), it's not some amazing looking game, but it looks solid, a bit low budget but not to some extreme or anything, the stand-out of the graphics being the lighting.

A simple example;

Doorway before the light is turned on:
2CCC901D278A50E480B82B3FA2CB5955EB65AB84

Doorway after the light is turned on:
1027B6A6C74BAB1270F729F2ACF68AF589A8BDDD

Lights also play a very important role in gameplay, and is what the game is named after ("Illumination"). Inspired by a twist in Alan Wake, enemies in this game are invulnerable when they're not in a light source, they cannot be killed. However, when they step into the light, they then can be dispatched pretty easily, though they can come in large numbers. To help with this, there is a visual cue on the enemies when they are vulnerable, and when they're not. The enemies, when they're glowing a bright yellow color, means that they can be shot and killed, but if their glow dims down, that means they are currently invincible. They aren't vulnerable forever once they step into the light, only when they're glowing and in light in question. This actually did help to keep the gameplay feeling balanced and tense. There is, however, a way for characters to dispatch enemies in darkness, but it has very limited use. The character in the beta, The Hunter, has a flamethrower. He starts with no ammo for the thing, but can find it in the level, and as the flamethrower will cause natural light in the darkness and set enemies aflame, it can kill them pretty well in the shadows, and a good emergency tool, though it uses its flames up quickly.

Interestingly, the lights you turn on can be destroyed by enemies, which I think is an interesting mechanic and makes it so in some instances you have to try and fend off enemies destroying a light as to keep them vulnerable for you to hit, or in some instances you can try to turn a light on to be a distraction from you so some of the enemies will go to it and try to destroy the light.

Speaking of the enemies, they had some interesting variety though I will hope for a few more in the final. There's seven different kinds of enemy in the beta, three are a variation of the basic 'zombie' enemy type that simply comes for you to thrash at you (one is weaker with no special markings, one is red and has more health and I believe does more damage, one has smoke rising out of it and slightly yellow and will explode when killed), the second being this gremlin-looking thing that can spit acid at you from a distance. Personal thought right now is that the 'Spitters' maybe can spit you from way too far a distance right now, I found them to be a bit too good at their jobs. These are the only enemies you'll meet in the first stage of the campaign, but one new enemy type gets introduced in each level. The 2nd of four levels in the campaign introduces these rat-type monsters, that are pretty fast and will leap and lash out on you if you get close, the 3rd level introduced these giant golem-like enemies that are slower, a lot more durable, bigger, and pack a punch, and the final level introduces these dog-type enemies, I didn't quite figure out what they did as I usually burned them on sight (due to a purple glow and a unique howling sound they make, they're a lot easier to see right now, in my opinion).

An enemy in the Darkness that cannot be slain by normal methods:
2908764D17C4DEC28E8C6ED16CF62A7D04ECEA4E

Enemies revealed in light, and now vulnerable:
1DE80F16810CE8A7D18AEB96FB5C58C07CE86D22

The levels themselves actually presented a pretty good range of differences between them, which I was appreciative for. Firstly, each level has a level of randomness to what path you take through the level. At first, this comes off as a bit confusing, because one time playing it, a door will be wide open and you can go through it, the next time it's just closed and unopenable, but you soon pick up that the way that's open for you will always have it's doors open if it's the right way to go, and the game does some good things to direct you in the general right direction, either by something highlighted and glowing in the distance, lighting in the game, pathways to follow like railroads or the like, this sort of thing, though in a few areas I did end up getting a bit lost (the second level being an example as I wasn't sure if you had to jump down mine holes or not).

The levels are a fair bit larger and longer than I was expecting, and several of them utilize back-tracking in them, which actually wasn't a negative for me in most cases as it was well defined where you needed to back-track, and utilized some twists in gameplay to make back-tracking more fun, such as changes in the environment or different areas being opened up to reach. A lot of the time, you have to go around and collect some item, either just go back and collect a piece of dynamite to blow up some rubble in your way, or a church was opened up with some wire you need so you need to head into the church and get it, or go and connect the wires to light sources to lead them to a generator to restore power. You can only carry 1 wire/battery/TNT/lump of charcoal at a time, so I'm wondering how the balance will be struck between single player and co-op as I think these sequences as they are would be far easier in co-op when you have people you could split-up with to pick-up the different things as each person can only carry one at a time, but to be seen. The amount of back-tracking differed from level to level, some were far more straight-forward and more you just following a path to get to the goal, with only occasional obstacle, I appreciated the change of pace in-between levels.

Each level also looked a fair bit different and introduced a different sort of mechanic to the level which seemed unique to the level in question. The first level takes place above-ground, in a city, with multiple buildings that you enter, pathways through the streets, and when you get to the end of the level, where you have to go to the end and collect wires from different buildings and connect them to these power poles to re-ignite a generator that dies on you, when a light pole is re-generated, it creates a lasting light source and when it first turns out, it shoots out lightning from the light which kills any nearby enemies. The second level had an elevator at its center, which you had to keep either returning power too or reaching to get to lower floors in the mines. you'd have to go and get three batteries, or be tossed out and have to go down holes in the mines manually to catch-up with the elevator that continued going down floors. In the third level, the game became more labyrinth like with twisting corridors and introduced water, which slows you down as you walk through it, and also had tunnels where rocks would collapse. The final level had you traversing magma-filled chambers in narrow, high-up areas where you'd have to be far more careful of your footing.

Single Player was fun enough, but I was given the feeling a lot of this would be more enjoyable in co-op, and especially the sections where you had to go and collect things and bring them back to something would be more fun in co-op to strategize and handle rather than going back and forth solo. I also am curious how game balance will be changed between single player and co-op, but to be seen.

The other thing I'll mention is that the game was legitimately challenging and tense in areas, and I found myself in situations very low or out of ammo, or super low on health and desperately scouring around the level for supplies. The game actually incorporated something I appreciate from older horror games, which is that running from enemies is a liable strategy, and I actually had a lot of fun doing it, though requires some strategic bait-and-switch and being careful not to corner yourself. You can outrun the enemies, though have limited stamina that recharges, but you're never too fast so that you leave the enemies in the dust, or too slow you can't outrun them (with the possible exception of the rat enemy that's faster than the rest of the enemies).

To help with running, you can also shut doors behind you. The enemies take a bit to burst them open (though once they're busted, they cannot be closed again), and became a valuable tool to me in the scenarios I decided to just book it.

So, my opinion, there is a solid game here that actually does a pretty good mix-up of objectives, only The Hunter is playable right now but I can already tell how some of the other classes of characters (The Witch, The Priest, and The Technician) will be fun to play and add some different ways to approach the levels, has surprisingly good atmosphere and tension throughout, and if it continues, it could be a pretty solid co-op horror game that has vibes of old-school horror mixed with the sort of co-op L4D-esque elements of modern horror.

Which then comes to why I can't recommend this right now... It feels like it's in alpha, but it is labelled as beta. It needs a decent amount of polish and a few changes to really stand to be the game it can be. I think it's fun, but it's lacking the polish needed to really make this concept work, and a few design decisions I'm a bit less fond of.

The biggest things that stood out to me in the game; The hit reaction and detection. There were a number of times I was getting hit, and I wasn't even aware of it. Your character doesn't respond to getting hit, there's no screen cue, outside of your health ba going down. As the Spitters can shoot you with acid from a distance and some enemies can sneak-up behind you, I found myself dying sometimes simply because I wasn't aware I was being hurt. I feel this is something that can be easily fixed, and should be fixed, as it was the most immediately obvious flaw the game had and dragged down other elements of enemy encounters. It's also not just you who has weak shot reactions, the monsters in question also do. Now, they do get shot and go down and it seems where you shoot them does make a difference in how much it takes for them to go down (shooting them in the head seemed to take them out faster, that sort of thing), but the enemies don't respond to getting shot until they die. The death animations are fine, but the lack of reaction to being shot makes the combat feel a bit more empty than it should. also, while the enemy glowing to reveal it as vulnerable is a nice touch, I think maybe also if you shoot an enemy when it's invulnerable there be some reaction, like maybe some shadow break out to show that the enemy is invulnerable, would be helpful for hit reaction as well to visually demonstrate the enemy is invulnerable to normal bullets. This is my single biggest complaint that would help the game so much, you and the enemies need to have more visual reaction to being hurt, and in the enemies case, when they're invincible.

However, to this, the hit detection seems a bit wonky, not to the point it was broken or I was getting hit by enemies through the walls or anything, but like enemies destroying a gate I closed would be standing a meter away from the gate and slashing and getting hits on the door to break in, or they'd be standing in the light but not near the light source and be destroying it, and a bit more immediate is that the enemies had a similar reach in how far they could hit you. This wasn't as broken as it might sound, but was noticeable and I think could be tightened up a bit more to make the game's presentation better, as it looks a bit silly to see enemies standing swinging their arms with something nearby being destroyed, just closing in the distance of which this happens would help a lot I feel.

I actually didn't encounter much in the way of bugs, some of the animations could use some touching up... The two that come to mind is that a melee move you can do looks incredibly weak and lacks any impact. There's also an animation of when you're character falls down when hit by the exploding enemies, that's more humorous than anything.

The levels feel they need to be tightened up just a bit more. One area in level 2 where you have to go collect batteries had a few variations of how this area was randomized so that the one room in this section that had supplies would not be accessible, which made the sequence a lot harder than it should of been, and could easily be fixed if the supplies were either scattered around the area more, were in a room that was always accessible no matter the random pathway the game chooses through the level (like the room with the elevator). Some areas would help maybe with a bit more direction, the two that come to mind being the same second level where it wasn't visually obvious I needed to jump down holes to get to the lower levels (I was a bit afraid it'd kill me), or in the third level there was a sequence I was going in circles for a bit and a bit later didn't spot a staircase I was searching for in the corner of a room as there were no cues to lead to it besides searching around.

Which leads me to sound. I think the sound may still be being worked on as I noticed the sound menu wasn't selectable in the options, so I hope it's a beta thing, but the game needs more sounds. There were certain things the game lacked any audio in, such as in the fourth level a platform you get working that moves is absolutely silent, in the third levels the rocks collapsing was missing sound, I also think the game would be a bit better with some music in places... there's a drone in some areas, but it was very quiet, and while I liked the title screen theme, I'd think the game would benefit from some subtle music in places so I wasn't just hearing the sounds of enemies most of the time. Also things like going through the water, or maybe just the sound of water itself, would lend itself well to some audio. Basically, the sound design needs touching up, though as the audio options in the game weren't selectable I feel they may be aware of this, and hope they work on this area more. The sounds that are there are fine (though I might suggest some draw distance to the sounds of enemies breaking doors, and maybe a sound of door breaking as when the enemies are attacking it they almost sound like they're barking, but the sound carries a distance). Some music when you fail or succeed might be nice, too, to give more of a feeling for when it happens.

And the final thing, something I think could be handled a bit better, is how enemies spawn in. A shroud of darkness appears and the enemies come from the ground.... That's fine, but especially in level 2 I felt the enemies could spawn way too close to me at a sudden's notice. I appreciated that some areas didn't spawn enemies, or spawned far less enemies, while some areas enemies seemed to infinitely respawn, but I think a bit more indication which is which might be appreciated, and while the enemy 'cooldown' for spawning is a nice touch). I think some areas could do with enemies spawning so frequently (a few sections that come to mind is the very beginning of the first level, where you go through either the building or down the train tracks, I felt enemies were spawning too quickly there for the very beginning, and I think in the level 2 caves I disliked the enemies being able to spawn by the elevator or spawn really close to where the batteries you picked up were, I think them spawning in the tunnels would be enough).

I feel if Pure FPS can tighten their game up more, it actually will be a pretty solid co-op horror game, it has a bit more horror elements than your typical co-op horror game, I didn't even touch on a few cool moments and, "Oh, shit," things they have happen in the levels, like a fun elevator ride or making you weary of collapses in the tunnels. Touches like these were nice, and unexpected. And I actually had fun playing it once I overcame some of the annoyance of lack of hit reaction for me and the monsters and a few other things. I found myself panicking in a few sequences to reach certain places, the levels actually were a bit fun to explore, and the variety kept things interesting, as well as the atmosphere in places was pretty good.

If Pure FPS continue to polish and work out kinks in the game, I actually think this game can find an audience and be enjoyable. Even better if they release it and don't abandon it, as some post-support for new campaigns or enemies or whatever could be fun. However, this is all in Pure FPS's ballpark. At the very moment, some of the kinks would make me not recommend it, but I did have fun, and if they polish it and continue with making the other campaigns enjoyable and tightening up the animations in the game, hit reaction, a few little annoyances here and there, this could be enjoyable, good even. It's better than I expected, but needs more time in the oven I feel.

Call me cautiously optimistic, it can be fun, but if they fix up elements of the game or not will make it if I can really recommend it or not.

Even though I'm not that interested in the game, great impressions. Is this coming to consoles as well? I'm asking because it's the only way I could play with my friends if I ever decided jumping on the game, especially if it's at a decent price.

Dusk Golem

Took a quick video of gameplay, without commentary, though I did a lot better than I did initially and encountered far less enemies than I did the first time playing, you'll see some of my complaints/praises for the game in the video, my stance is rough around the edges, but actually kind of fun, I'd imagine co-op being fun as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLyH0Sb_tYM

(at the moment, HD still rendering, when done processing it's a 60fps video)

Even though I'm not that interested in the game, great impressions. Is this coming to consoles as well? I'm asking because it's the only way I could play with my friends if I ever decided jumping on the game, especially if it's at a decent price.

No word right now, it's focus is PC. I guess if it does well, it might, but I also think there may be lack of interest, the game in question hasn't been getting too much word.

Alienous

There's no way the camera is always at that angle, is there?

Edit: Just saw the footage. Good lord. Why not just go first person?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Wow, that's pretty impressive looking! Gives me a sort of "Alan Wake" vibe. Very nice! I don't have a gaming PC, but it is nice to see games like this being made.

Bl@de

Ah impressions by Dusk. You sold me on Evil Within and it was everything I expected. So I'm looking forward to read it later as there are a lot of concerns about the game (and AitD as a franchise). Thanks for your effort.

Dusk Golem

There's no way the camera is always at that angle, is there?

Edit: Just saw the footage. Good lord. Why not just go first person?

It's a bit funny, as the company is called Pure FPS and all. It was weird to me first, but you hardly notice it after playing for a bit. Though if they have view options in the end I bet some would be appreciative.

Wow, that's pretty impressive looking! Gives me a sort of "Alan Wake" vibe. Very nice! I don't have a gaming PC, but it is nice to see games like this being made.

It's a bit better looking than I was expecting, especially lighting-wise, though it isn't super impressive it looks solid enough, especially for a low-budget effort.

The Alan Wake feeling isn't off, the developers have described the game as taking inspiration from the old AitD games, Left 4 Dead, Alan Wake, and Resident Evil, the Alan Wake influence obviously 'shines' through with the light mechanic, though handled a bit differently.

In the video, if I had played more like I had initially, since you go back-tracking, a lot of light sources can be destroyed, and if you aren't careful you can have hordes of enemies on you, but when I did the quick recording I actually managed pretty well and hardly ran into enemies. But in my initial run, the enemies had destroyed a lot of might light sources and I was struggling a bit. One of the classes, the Technician, can repair broken light sources, but she's not playable in this first beta.

Ah impressions by Dusk. You sold me on Evil Within and it was everything I expected. So I'm looking forward to read it later as there are a lot of concerns about the game (and AitD as a franchise). Thanks for your effort.

I do take the plunge into a lot of horror games and see what I come out thinking about it. This game at the time has some areas that I think are surprisingly well done, but also a lot of flaws and lack of polish right now. If it can take some time in the oven and polish itself up and fix up a few things, I do think it can be a pretty solid co-op horror game.

---

There's another GAF'er who I know said yesterday they'd play it today and post their impressions as well. Interested to see what they end up thinking and how their thoughts differ from mine.

Very good synopsis of the beta.

A couple of things i'd like them to improve (drastically) would be the animation quality, the hit reaction; both for the player character and the enemies and the sound mix.

Some animations feel like place holders right now: switching weapons feels odd, reloading the ak looks like Ted has magic hands as he touches the mag, doesn't take it out, reaches for his pocket for another mag then touches the current (empty) mag again and the weapon is magically good to go again. Sprinting diagonally feels like skating on ice while moving and sprinting forward actually feels natural and properly weighty.

The character posture while holding the dual pistols feels robotic like his arms are frozen and the camera angle makes it look like his arms are disjointed.

Another animation issue that sticks out like a sore thumb is getting downed and back up. This only happens if you get caught in the blast radius of one of the exploding enemies (the blast animation looks placeholder as well). Your character goes down you lose complete sight of him and you can only see the crosshair on screen. When you press jump a couple of times he just magically appears on screen again.

The spit animation and projectile as well as the rat enemy's leap and swipe also feel like stock material.

The sound mix as i mentioned above is completely off. If you fire a gun next to a sound source like an elevator or a power generator the gun sounds unnaturally muffled.

One other thing i'd like to see is the way the enemies react when they step into a light source. They do "glow" currently but the glow doesn't look appropriate in relation to the distance from the light source.

As far as the weapons are concerned they should tone done the flamethrower as it's incredibly powerful right now. A quick tap and everything infront of you dies. The fire spreads from one minion to another as well; you don't see the fire actually spreading you just watch nearby enemies go up in flames.

There are things that the game does well like you said. I like the look and aesthetics of the environments, the stamina feature, the way the enemies kinda blend in with the darkness, the howling they make and the way they steadily swarm you and force you to move, the lighting and the randomised item placement. If the payday series can teach something to these guys is that randomised objectives and item placement greatly prolong the lifetime of a game and they are very appreciated in co-op.

All in all i too liked the core of what i got to see and i do hope that this the "old-school" kind of beta not the just-a-few-tweaks-and-it's-out-of-the-door trend that's been going on recently.

Some images from the beta (maxed out @ 1080p)

k3f3owk.jpg

kt9kYwp.jpg

B7h3OTg.jpg

cfNf9PV.jpg

KoEYxEf.jpg

Dusk Golem

Very good synopsis of the beta.

A couple of things i'd like them to improve (drastically) would be the animation quality, the hit reaction; both for the player character and the enemies and the sound mix.

Some animations feel like place holders right now: switching weapons feels odd, reloading the ak looks like Ted has magic hands as he touches the mag, doesn't take it out, reaches for his pocket for another mag then touches the current (empty) mag again and the weapon is magically good to go again. Sprinting diagonally feels like skating on ice while moving and sprinting forward actually feels natural and properly weighty.

The character posture while holding the dual pistols feels robotic like his arms are frozen and the camera angle makes it look like his arms are disjointed.

Another animation issue that sticks out like a sore thumb is getting downed and back up. This only happens if you get caught in the blast radius of one of the exploding enemies (the blast animation looks placeholder as well). Your character goes down you lose complete sight of him and you can only see the crosshair on screen. When you press jump a couple of times he just magically appears on screen again.

The spit animation and projectile as well as the rat enemy's leap and swipe also feel like stock material.

The sound mix as i mentioned above is completely off. If you fire a gun next to a sound source like an elevator or a power generator the gun sounds unnaturally muffled.

One other thing i'd like to see is the way the enemies react when they step into a light source. They do "glow" currently but the glow doesn't look appropriate in relation to the distance from the light source.

As far as the weapons are concerned they should tone done the flamethrower as it's incredibly powerful right now. A quick tap and everything infront of you dies. The fire spreads from one minion to another as well; you don't see the fire actually spreading you just watch nearby enemies go up in flames.

There are things that the game does well like you said. I like the look and aesthetics of the environments, the stamina feature, the way the enemies kinda blend in with the darkness, the howling they make and the way they steadily swarm you and force you to move, the lighting and the randomised item placement. If the payday series can teach something to these guys is that randomised objectives and item placement greatly prolong the lifetime of a game and they are very appreciated in co-op.

All in all i too liked the core of what i got to see and i do hope that this the "old-school" kind of beta not the just-a-few-tweaks-and-it's-out-of-the-door trend that's been going on recently.

Some images from the beta (maxed out @ 1080p)

k3f3owk.jpg

kt9kYwp.jpg

B7h3OTg.jpg

cfNf9PV.jpg

KoEYxEf.jpg

Those are my two biggest complaints so far as well, the animations/hit reaction, and the sound. I feel the sound at least they know needs some work, I noticed in the options tab right now you can't access sound, and I notice some things that really should have sound (like the rocks collapsing in the third level) have absolutely no sound at all. Also, the first level has music, but the other three do not, so I feel audio is something they're working on right now. Some of the distance is a weird, and a better mix would help. However, above sound, the biggest thing that needs fixing right now is the hit reaction and animations, it's one of the first things you notice playing is that the enemies hardly seem to react to your bullets, and you seem to hardly react to them hitting you, making it not always clear if you're hitting them or if they're hitting you.

There is a enjoyable game at its core here though, I'm with you I'm hoping that they give the game the attention, fixes, and time that it needs, if they do they could have a pretty good co-op horror game here, but if they only fix a few minor things and release it, I won't really be able to recommend it, which would be a shame because I think it's fun, just needs a lot of tidying up, fixes in some areas, and some more polish.

Playing it more, I do think the flamethrower is a bit too powerful right now I will also add, it can almost down any enemy just by a quick burst.

TheRyanx2

Neo Member
Thanks for the impressions. After getting burnt by AitD4 I haven't been able to come back to the franchise. I'm hopeful this will turn out to be enjoyable!

Dusk Golem

Thanks for the impressions. After getting burnt by AitD4 I haven't been able to come back to the franchise. I'm hopeful this will turn out to be enjoyable!

It's not like the older games, and still up in the air to see how the final product comes alone, as for the moment it needs some work, but I think it could be nice as it's own little thing once it's polished up, if it gets polished up, which I'm hopeful for.

Thanks Dusk Golem. I think I saw that you posted this on the steam forums for the devs to see. The developers mentioned that are are taking feedback very serious. They mentioned that they are currently working on these areas in this post(http://steamcommunity.com/app/275060/discussions/0/604941528481341722/):

Hello AITD:I Beta Players!

This is Stephanie, the Lead Producer on Alone in the Dark:Illumination, and I’d like to personally thank you all for participating in our Closed Beta weekend. We have worked hard for many months now, and we are very proud to share AITD:I with all of you. :D

A few things we are currently focused on include:
Player & enemy hit notifications
Enemy A.I. logic
Level Optimization
Animations

We are watching the streams and videos, reading the forums, and we're taking detailed notes. Our goal is to take this feedback and use it to refine the game. We will continue to pay close attention to your suggestions, constructive criticism, and bug reports.

Here are my suggestions other than those that I pointed out to the dev:
-Tutorial mode (a test area to teach people about mechanics. I noticed some people not even using or knowing about the flamethrower)
-FOV settings (camera is too close to character)
-Optional First Person mode
-Waypoint markers with distance to objective on them
-Better way to view Objectives (also communicate them through dialogue as well)
-Better way to communicate story (not just a wall of text at beginning of map ex, Communicate story while playing through dialogue with others and self monologue)
-Characters should talk about the environment (such as points of interest and near by items) in dialogue. (ex. The characters need to heal badly. He comments on it out loud and says something when he sees a healthpack)
-The environment should tell a story as well.
-Update Carnby character model to add detail to hair since it's the closest to the screen
-Random scare events (maybe ghost sightings or mysterious sounds)
-Allow character to carry a healthpack to heal on the go. This could be balanced as you can go into animation while healing
-Adding temporary flares for emergency situations to bring light to an area
-Limit ammo/tanks or make stronger more enemies on higher difficulties
-Flamethrower is slightly OP. However, I think this is fine for Easy difficulty

Dusk Golem

Thanks Dusk Golem. I think I saw that you posted this on the steam forums for the devs to see. The developers mentioned that are are taking feedback very serious. They mentioned that they are currently working on these areas in this post(http://steamcommunity.com/app/275060/discussions/0/604941528481341722/):

Here are my suggestions other than those that I pointed out to the dev:
-Tutorial mode (a test area to teach people about mechanics. I noticed some people not even using or knowing about the flamethrower)
-FOV settings (camera is too close to character)
-Optional First Person mode
-Waypoint markers with distance to objective on them
-Better way to view Objectives (also communicate them through dialogue as well)
-Better way to communicate story (not just a wall of text at beginning of map ex, Communicate story while playing through dialogue with others and self monologue)
-Characters should talk about the environment (such as points of interest and near by items) in dialogue. (ex. The characters need to heal badly. He comments on it out loud and says something when he sees a healthpack)
-The environment should tell a story as well.
-Update Carnby character model to add detail to hair since it's the closest to the screen
-Random scare events (maybe ghost sightings or mysterious sounds)
-Allow character to carry a healthpack to heal on the go. This could be balanced as you can go into animation while healing
-Adding temporary flares for emergency situations to bring light to an area
-Limit ammo/tanks or make stronger more enemies on higher difficulties
-Flamethrower is slightly OP. However, I think this is fine for Easy difficulty

Oui, that's cool. Those changes will make it a lot easier to recommend, that's for so. XD; To see how the whole game develops, I think I'll enjoy it if they go further with the updates, curious to see what it looks like by next beta.

Dusk Golem

The first beta weekend for the game ends sometime today, if people wanted to try it or anything like that. I may and try take one more quick video, may not.

that ui sure is something

I do like how non-distracting it it, but also agree it seems very placeholder.

Dusk Golem

Alone in the Dark: Illumination's multiplayer beta is live for this weekend.

Going to play with some friends and come back with full impressions here later.

EBE

was in the first beta. game was shit. weak ass weapon feedback, terrible controls, horrible randomly placed objectives, poor audio, dated visuals... i hated my time with the game lol.
which sucks because i actually really liked Alone in the Dark 2008

Dusk Golem

So I played two rounds so far last night, some impressions briefly, but I plan to play more so will wait to post full impressions until I play a bit more. Played with two other people (last one wasn't around).

Well, firstly, this beta has a lot more content than the original beta. Now you can play as three of the four classes (Hunter, Witch, Engineer), the Customization stuff was unlocked so you can now customize the look of your character as you unlock skins (they seem to unlock at levels, I had the pre-order skin as well as some skins with the Hunter, it kept my levels from the last beta with him), Skill trees were now unlocked (three different types of skills, general skills, class specific skills, and weapon/item unlocks and equipment), and three stages were available. The options were more in-depth, I played the Engineer for the two rounds I played.

I will say that the two months the devs thankfully haven't not done anything to the game, it has seen a number of improvements. Hit detection is much better, it's not amazing, but I can tell I'm getting hit and the enemies now react to being shot so there's that, they also seem to have a bit more health so they don't get downed in a bullet or two when in the light (I prefer this), though some of it is still a bit hard to judge. Spawns seem better as well, weapons have a bit more feedback, and I like the feel of some of the new weapons like the shotgun I tried.

Animations are still on the weaker side, they're a bit improved but some lack impact or look a bit silly. The multiplayer also seemed fine, there were a few weird things, the most glaring being that when you die, you spectate someone, but for some reason while my friends looked fine when I played with them, when you spectate them once dead they look really laggy for some reason. I don't quite know why, they look fine while you play but laggy when you spectate.

In this beta, there's three stages available from three of the different campaigns. There's the first level from the first and second campaign, and the second level from the third campaign. Final game will have four campaigns with four levels each.

Alright, so with all that stuff out of the way, some stuff I liked, disliked, and I have a better idea who may like and dislike this game now.

I still like it, but I think this will be a HUGE love-it/hate-it game. Where I stand, the combat isn't really the reason I like it, in fact, I think I'd say the combat is actually one of my least favorite things about it. It's not bad, but there's nothing remarkable about it and it's not hugely satisfying. It's more functional now, and some of the weapons are a bit fun to use, they feel good. But I think just... It's a few things that hold it back. While we didn't play the later stages, and a new enemy gets added in each stage in a campaign (second stage adds rat people, third stage adds golems, fourth stage adds hellhounds), the enemies aren't remarkable. For co-op horror-like games, for example, the enemy selection of something like Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil, etc., all are much better and the combat feels a lot better. I actually find it more fun to do the old horror run-by-enemies and only shoot when needed than I do actually fighting them. The light mechanic does add something, but I wouldn't recommend this game for its combat scenarios. Explaining why though is hard for me for some reason, I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's because the enemies lack a bit of personality, or that oomph to make them interesting foes. They aren't exactly flawed, but my standard of enemies from other co-op horror games isn't met, is what I think it is, matched with kind of weak combat. That said, there is supposed to be a boss fight at the end of campaigns, I haven't tried any of them yet, so I don't know how that will feel.

Visa-versally, I still like the levels, and they're still pretty varied. We played the first level of the second campaign, it started in a very Alan Wake-looking area (reminded me of the farm in episode 4 of Alan Wake, if any of you have played that), but then sent us down to some crypts. There was a very light puzzle of us opening tomb stones looking for a medallion for a pedestal, then figuring out with the medal in one of us needed to stand on a pressure plate to raise a big door to let the others through, and one stays behind until the others raise the door and hold out as enemies come to try and hit you off the pressure plate. I like the level-specific elements, and the levels both in design and these small little stage specific mechanics end up not feeling too samey. The stage also went up to a graveyard and we had to look for multiple of these medallions at once to open a church door. Stage ended when we entered the church, though. I actually kind of wish the developers would of done more stage-specific things, like puzzles and all that, ironically while they wanted to create a more action-horror game, I think the best things about this game are what call-back more older horror games. The atmosphere is good, I actually like the sort of slower-pace the game has, the stage-specific stuff and varied levels I enjoy, I like exploring the stages and I like some of the light level puzzles and hazards, its the combat that I feel has a weaker overall feel to it.

The second new level I hadn't played was also fun, you go along train tracks and the level is mostly a progression type of stage until you get to Hells Passage and climb a mountain, get inside a cave, and then have to search train cars for batteries to return power to the station and release a train car to progress.

Seems objective number has been changed to reflect how many people are playing, which is nice. What I mean is the number of things you have to collect to unlock a door changes if you're playing single player or co-op. When I played solo, there was one battery to collect, when with three people it was four.

Audio has been improved a lot, the monsters don't make nearly as much noise, there's now music and it's actually pretty nice and somewhat dynamic, changing as you get to new areas in the level. Some of it is even a bit creepy, others more action-full. However, I have found a new problem where sometimes the audio will stutter, not sure what's causing that, it wasn't frequent for me, but did happen in the Hells Pass level with the music.

One of the people I played with really did not like this game. I kind of expected it from what I played of the Alpha and knowing this person's taste in games, but I did get their thoughts, and it's what I think some will think of the game. He thought the game was really dull, mixture of too slow, the combat being dull, he criticized the game for feeling amateurish in ways, and thinks they need to do more to keep you engaged while you play the game.

I felt a bit differently, but I found myself a lot more interested in the levels, exploring, and elements that were basically not the combat. Thankfully enemy spawns have been more gauaged now so they aren't spawning constantly, which I like, and I do have fun avoiding the enemies as it can feel like an old horror game. I don't know, this game is kind of weird, I don't dislike it, and I am seeing others that actually are enjoying it too, the other friend liked it a bit more and had similar thoughts to me, but I almost wish the game would go in a different direction. I feel that these guys have the potential to make a really good atmospheric puzzle-horror game, maybe if there was like, more tough enemies or even an invincible stalker instead of your zombie-ish gun fodder type enemies we have, I think it'd show its strengths even more as I seem to find the elements that are not the combat more appealing than the combat, but the game has skill trees and they have combat in mind obviously, and the combat isn't bad, it's been much improved from the last beta, it just can't hold a candle to what's already out there. The areas it succeeds in are things that most other co-op games don't do, and they feel good, and their fun to do for me. I find the environments interesting, fun, explorable, and like the unique level mechanics and hazards, but wish they'd go further with some of it, though I still need to play the levels, but I wish for more of a focus on that and maybe doing something to spice up the enemy selection, like if we had a strong stalker who appeared and disappeared ala something like Nemesis or Pyramid Head to be a threat when it appears, or maybe enemies that break the mold of the enemies we have so far. Most of the enemies approach you, the dogs go faster and can circle you and buff other enemies, the spitter spit at you, but I mean something radically differently, like some enemies that does crazy, interesting things.

So, basically, it's better, has more polish, a few things still need a bit of work, but the main thing I have issue with is the combat feels a bit dull and I feel it needs more spicing up, not to make it more challenging, but just more interesting. The combat is serviceable, but it doesn't feel even close to other co-op horror games right now. The areas it holds stronger in are ironically what isn't related to combat, the atmosphere, the levels themselves, and the level puzzles/hazards, I wish they would go farther with those, but to be seen as I haven't played all the levels.

Game risks the possibility to be dull to some people, I think those that will enjoy it more as it is are people who like some slower-paced games, with a little jank, but can find appeal in exploration, some small surviving scenarios, and don't mind the slower-pace. It has a different appeal to any other co-op game I've played, it doesn't pull it off perfectly but I am finding it's appealing to something most other co-op games don't, and kind of wish it'd dig more into that than trying to focus on the combat with skill trees and enemy spawns and such.

Anyways, here's some screenshots I took, I'll post more impressions as I play more this weekend:

Menus, Skills, Customization:

Screens from the Second Campaign First Level:

Screens from the Third Campaign second level:

It seems that they actually listened to feedback and updated the game. I will give some impressions when I play it tonight. It won't make it an amazing game, but it will be a lot less crappy in comparison to the previous version.

Update Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxXIYtWhsOk

Update Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CkNESLz5Yg
•Overhauled Advancement System: New skill tree progression, new ability enhancements, and a smoother pace to level advancement.

•Improved Player Abilities: From a new fireball for the Witch to a revised weapon loadout for the Hunter, each class gets some meaningful changes.

•Streamlined Missions and Objectives: More variety and improved monster spawning AI should make objectives feel challenging, rewarding and more engaging.

•New Monster Types and Behaviors: From a tougher Goblin Brute to new type of Shapes, tons of tweaks to monster behavior, animations and much more.

•Updated Narrative: Refined narrative delivery and added voiceover.

Patch Notes:

ART
• New enemy efects make it clearer when enemies are vulnerable, damaged, or dead

•General lighting pass on all levels

•Artistic narrative displays added throughout the game

•Numerous new and updated ability effects have been added across all character and monster classes

•Model and texture updates better differentiate enemies

•Exploding shape has a completely new and unique model

•Post process volume work was added to all safe rooms to give them safer feel

ENEMIES
•Goblin now uses a shoulder ram style animation for his charge

•Demon now fires an arcing projectile - projectile creates a pool of acid that damages players that stand in it

•Added teleport ability to Hellhound

•Hellhound takes no damage outside of light sources - no longer take additional damage from headshots

•Goblin can be damaged outside of light, but can't be killed

•Neither Hellhound nor Goblin can be weakened by flashlight

•Ghoul lunging/jumping animations improved

•Added small AOE damage sphere that triggers when ghoul lands

•Increased the Goblin's HP by a LOT

•Added a "kamikaze" effect to the exploting shapes - They are much faster and explode when close/killed (though they have less HP than before)

•Increased hellhound's HP

•Added death/dissolve sound to all enemies

GLOBAL
•Added damage indicators! Players now see red flashes on the side of the screen from the direction that damage is coming from rather than a full-screen red effect

•Default Abilities are now unlocked by level

•Jump improvements were made for all classes

•Max Player Level has been reduced down to 20

•All Classes Level Intro text have been condensed

•VO added for all level intros and in-game narrative tweet updates!

•Players now gain the right amount of skill points per level (2 for 1-10, 3 for 11-20)

•Experience has been rescaled across the game

•Each gun now has a unique aiming reticle

•The camera FOV improved - the camera now “lags” behind the player a bit to give a stronger Third Person feel.

•Improved feedback across all weapons

• TONS of updates to objectives across all levels to improve player experience

SKILLS
•The skill system has been completely refactored in an effort to promote meaningful player choices

•Columns of choices consist of a series of either/or choices, forcing players to consider their best options

•Skill points can be refunded or re-spent at any time

•All skill choices fit on a single screen

•Purchasing all skills in a column allows for the purchase of a more powerful, game-changing skill

HUNTER IMPROVEMENTS
•The AK47 has been replaced by a single shot hunting rifle. It deals very high damage at a low fire rate

•The P90 has been converted into a dedicated Flamethrower, removing the Flamethrower from all other guns

•The Hunter's Flamethrower ammo bar has been removed. Instead, it operates the same as any other Ammo bar

•Damage / Ammo has all been adjusted for balance

•All guns have had their reload and recoil animations adjusted to improve look

WITCH IMPROVEMENTS
•The Lightning Strike Ability is now her default attack, able to be activated using the Left Mouse Button!

•The Colt has been removed completely (a magical light has been added to replace the gun's flashlight)

•Colt animations have been replaced with unarmed animations, including a new Melee punch that uses Lightning FX

•Draining Curse ability has been added as an ability for the Witch. This ability allows the Witch to give a contagious "curse" an enemy, reducing their movement speed and attack damage for the duration. Cursed monsters regain mana for the Witch over time.

•Burning Glow animation has been trimmed so it comes out more quickly.

•Mana values for all abilities have been reduced to allow the witch to use her abilities more freely

•The witch has gained an awesome new fireball that replaces her old lightning crawler ability

PRIEST IMPROVEMENTS
•The Holy Light Ability has become his default attack, able to be activated using the Left Mouse Button

•Holy Light VFX have been adjusted to make it more noticeable when you reach different charge milestones

•Holy Light now fires the gun, dealing additional damage from the bullets (and consuming them)

•Trying to activate Holy Light while having no ammo will force a Reload

•Wrath of God and Sacred Chant have had their cast times sped up

•Wrath of God has been updated to now travel along in a straight line, knocking down enemies it collides with

•Sacred Chant has been changed into a Healing Zone, allowing the Priest to heal himself and allies

•Lord's Embrace has been added as an ability for the Priest. This ability puts a shield around the priest and nearby allies, giving them huge damage reduction for the duration

•Mana values for all abilities have been reduced to allow the Priest to use his abilities more freely

•The Pistol damage / fire rates have been adjusted for balance

ENGINEER IMPROVEMENTS
•The Tesla Coil ability has been given much stronger hit FX so it's obvious when it's hitting the enemy

•The Shotgun and Beretta damage / fire rates have been adjusted for balance

•The Spinner ability has been changed into an Explosive Mine

•If no enemies are nearby, it will remain on the ground as a trap

•Once an enemy activates it, it will explode after a brief delay

•At the highest rank, the engineer can toss it directly into a group of enemies

•All repairable lights will now show they are repairable using a Green Outline, inviting the Engineer to try and interact with it

•Shotgun Animations have all been updated to improve look

SPAWN SYSTEM
•Enemy Spawn points will no longer re-enable themselves, allowing for areas of the game to become “cleared”

•Monster spawn variety and pacing has been adjusted across all levels

AUDIO
•Balanced weapon fire volume mix

•Improved attenuation of monsters for better sense of distance and directionality

•Improved music looping and cutoff functionality

•New sound assets for Priest abilities

•Player lands and jump Voices have been toned

•Added 3D positional to environmental FX (barrels, lightning strikes)

•Added 3D positional to Player Weapons and abilities

•Multiple fixes to monster attack audio

•Multiple fixes to music pacing, delivery, and tone

•Shapes have new sounds that were previously missing (bite, multi-slash, etc)

•Cleaned up Hit/Deflect sound

NARRATIVE
•VO narration has been added for all narrative text

•Narrative text now centered along the bottom of the screen

•Narrative text readability and formatting improved

•Class based narrative text added across levels

Top Bottom