• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

alright GAF lets do it: Quake vs UT

Sojiro

There's something that UT99 had that Quake 3 didn't.... o yeah, a good sequel.

A variety of fun game types come to mind for me. Q3 is where you go for the hardcore competitive 1v1 action...if you want to have fun UT99 is where it was at. Instagib CTF and Assault are fucking amazing, and I still find a few Ut99 servers with at least Instagib CTF, Assault is harder to find :(

FACE

Banned
Quake.

You mean UT versus Quake 3? Those were the direct competitors in 1999/2000. I bought both on day one, and UT by a mile-- I liked the art direction more, the soundtrack was great, the level design was wonderful, the weapons were more interesting, among other things.

Edit: Should have mentioned, I still play UT to this day for the reasons I mentioned above. Nothing would ever possess me to want to play Quake 3 again, nothing about it was especially compelling.

Z-tier taste.

dahuman

Neo Member
Played both a lot, hard to say, one thing for sure is they don't make them like they used to. Things are super slow these days due to nubs.

Techies

Played both a lot, hard to say, one thing for sure is they don't make them like they used to. Things are super slow these days due to nubs.

I call them the credit card wielders. Also dota came along and killed the Quake vs UT saga, it ended up as DOTA2 vs LoL.
FPS has never been the same after they came along, you could play them without having to worry about near zero latency, in order just to be able to lead shots, because that was the so pro thing to do.

Paganmoon

I think i'm close on the commands

r_mode 2
cg_fov 110
com_maxfps 72
vertex something on
force enemy character model tank jr, really I used the other guy but can't remember his name.

You can jump higher in q3 with with certain frame rates.

So what I'm saying is, Quake all the way.

Now I might recall this wrongly, but didn't you want as high FPS as possible in Q3A? like 200+ FPS (and thus set all settings to lowest). IIRC you moved quicker the more FPS you pushed, which was a reason most competitive servers hade serverside restriction to 200FPS.

espher

UT99 CTF > *, and Domination/TDM were great (the former criminally underrated).

Q2 RA2 was fantastic too.

Q3A never did a goddamn thing for me.

I also didn't really care for any of the UT sequels, actually. RIP Translocator.

Kopite

Apologies if old:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/01/quake-3-arena-world-peace_n_3529082.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

In 1999, the state-of-the-art in video game warfare was Quake 3 Arena - a fast and brutal game set in tight, cramped levels, where the aim was simply to kill, get killed, and repeat.

And among its various innovations - of which, arguably, there weren't that many - was some rather clever artificial intelligence.

The 'bots' in the game - essentially the computer controlled players - were equipped with a kind of 'learning' AI.

In the game, the bots would watch your gameplay style, and adapt themselves as the fighting continued. The bots would effectively "think" their way to new tactics, discarding ideas that didn't work and honing in on those that did.

Naturally this got some people thinking. If you left the bots playing, on their own, surely they would get better and better… and then what? Would they turn into the ultimate AI killing machine - or create a nightmare world of pain and suffering?

Well now we know.

They evolved world peace.

According to a mysterious message board thread from 2011, in about 2007 one gamer set up a server of 16 bots playing each other in and endless, pointless war.

In 2011, four years later, he remembered the server, and returned to it.

According to the thread on 4Chan, the gamer found that the bots had evolved to do absolutely nothing. Instead of running, shooting and killing, they had learned that the only way to ensure their survival was to abandon violence, and simply stand facing each other, forever - as one gamer in the threat put it, "waiting for a purpose or salvation".

Nobody could win - but nobody could die. A peaceful stalemate had emerged naturally, after four bloody years.

Each of the AI files was a massive 512mb per bot - a total of 8GB of learned tactics and information.

Even when the poster changed the map, the bots continued to stand still. And when he joined in the game the bots continued to "just stand there".

"They would rotate to look at me," he said. "I walked around a little bit and they all just kept looking at me."

Then - sadly - he fired a gun, and the peace collapsed. The poster said that as soon as the first shot was fired "they all ran for the nearest weapons, took me down and the server crashed".

And now? Well for all we know the war continues, for at least another two years, until peace can finally return, again.

Needless to say, we recommend you read the whole thread. We can't vouch for its contents - it's possible this is either a hoax or not quite what it appears. But it does make for a good tale.

dx7sVXj.jpg

Top Bottom