• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright GAF, time to give me a push: Horizon Zero Dawn or Nier Automata?

Wait for reviews on Nier.

Should they really?

RJPiup.jpg

My point being is that Nier's masterpiece isn't visible to the general media outlets.

Redevil

I'd say go with both, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Horizon and wait for NieR to drop in price in the meantime.

Kanann

NieR first because it's seem shortest. (23rd-27th)

Horizon second because why not.

(3rd March) Ditch Horizon for Zelda after.

sjay1994

Should they really?

My point being is that Nier's masterpiece isn't visible to the general media outlets.

THIS IS WHY PLATINUM AT THE HELM OF AUTOMATA IS FUCKING HUGE.

The original Nier has a fantastic story, but the gameplay is not great. With platinum (whom have proved on numerous ocassions they know how to make combat mechanics) with Yoko Taro focusing on the story, yeah Automata is going to excell.

Lorcain

Based on your preferences I think Nier would be a more direct match, but I don't think you could go wrong with either. I don't know how the combat will feel in HZD, but Nier seems top tier from the demo.

It's a great time for PS4 gaming. Horizon Zero Down, Nier, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2.

LotusHD

Banned
Hold up..

noha0.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230636006&postcount=538

It's been confirmed that just like the demo, you can buy the Japanese version of the game and still get to play it in English. So yea, that includes both subtitles and the english dub.

Should they really?

Not really fair. Nier became a cult classic in spite of its combat; people loved both the OST and story. Now you have Nier Automata, whose combat is being handled by PlatinumGames, while still having the same people work on both the OST and story. You look at gameplay from Nier, and gameplay from Nier Automata, and the difference is as clear as day. It's miraculous that this game even exists.

I'd say Nier Automata would be the more interesting, but less polished experience. If the story's as good as the original Nier, buy it instead of Horizon easy. If you like Platinum Games, buy it instead of Horizon.

Cornbread78

Wow, this is more one-sided than I thought it would be for real.....

(3rd March) Ditch Horizon for Zelda after.

Please don't, I don't need another dust collector in my house. Only if my wife really, REALLY wants one...

I have too many games I haven't even played yet.

Cheska

OP, have you played the original Nier?

If you haven't, then get Horizon and try to find a cheap copy of the first game. I feel like you'll enjoy Automata more if you've experienced the original.

Cornbread78

OP, have you played the original Nier?

If you haven't, then get Horizon and try to find a cheap copy of the first game. I feel like you'll enjoy Automata more if you've experienced the original.

Yeah, I played through endings A-B, then missed an item and never got around to playing through endings C-D. I need to go back and play through those again at some point though (as soon as I get the game back from my friend that borrowed it almost 2 years ago, lol)

I feel like there's no reason to choose between two good games in this day and age. You don't have to get both at once. Get one now, and pick up the other one on sale when you have time to play it then.

AESplusF

Definitely Nier, you can be sure that it won't play things as safely as Horizon, and you know the combat is good because the demo is out.

Cheska

Yeah, I played through endings A-B, then missed an item and never got around to playing through endings C-D. I need to go back and play through those again at some point though (as soon as I get the game back from my friend that borrowed it almost 2 years ago, lol)

Tough choice then! I'm personally buying both, but if I could only get one, I think it would be Horizon. I LOVE Nier, but I've already played that type of game, and I'm interested to try something a little more different.

Ubernube

If you want a game that's on the more safer side, where you're more likely to click with it, I'd say go with Horizon.

Nier on the other hand, due to its more experimental nature, is a much less safe game, but if it clicks, it's going to click like a motherfucker.

Given your tastes, you probably won't go wrong with going with either one of them.

LotusHD

Banned
If you want a game that's on the more safer side, where you're more likely to click with it, I'd say go with Horizon.

Nier on the other hand, due to its more experimental nature, is a much less safe game, but if it clicks, it's going to click like a motherfucker.

Basically this.

AESplusF

Given your tastes, you probably won't go wrong with going with either one of them.

Love the way you put that lmao.

Maybe I'm a super cynical consumer, but I plan to get Horizon first, because I feel like Nier price will drop much much faster, so I'll get it on sale sooner than later.

I'm bias to Nier so was easy for me but one point for people who aren't favouring either game is that Nier automata is a lot more likely in need of a sale then horizon so supporting that would be more felt then buying horizon. Of course, it comes down to personal preference. Horizon ranks below zelda,persona and Nier so I'm getting that game late summer at the earliest.

jdstorm

Banned
Get Nier. It deserves love and will likely be Niche compared to Horizon (which is going to sell like crazy
probably 7-10M copies on this PS4 install base
)

Arkam

Both look dope, but voting for Horizon. If I had to choose for myself it would pick it up and not look back.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Nier for you given your love of those types of games vs like if Horizon type games.

Horizon for me as I didn't like the Nier demo at all and don't like action games in general or Platinum games specifically.

My gaming priorities are Horizon, Mass Effect and then Zelda. I'm unsure on Persona 5. I liked P4G but I'm not sure I'm in the mode for that kind of game (or that long a game after those 3) this spring.

Top Bottom