• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I crazy, or is Diablo 4 kinda meh?

i was ready to go till i heard about the level scaling. i passed, & haven't regretted it. will (very) patiently wait for a sale...
I don't think you're crazy if you don't like it. Personal tastes are just that.

For example, I just watched the gameplay of FF16 and, to me, it looks meh as fuck. However, I'm happy for those who are looking forward to it as it looks like they're going to get a polished, fun game. Just not one that I'd enjoy. 🤷‍♂️
this, too. all these games i was supposed to be excited about, & then i see / read about them, & 'poof!' - the dream is over...

Today's top news story: a player finds they might not like something other people enjoy. Are they crazy or is just an alien probe gone bad? Find out after the weather.

phant0m

Yes you are crazy. Game is great, though I will add that you need to get synergies going. It’s tougher under lvl 20 but beyond that you should really have things stacking between your skills, passives, and gear bonuses. Combat starts to feel REALLY good at that point.

As an example for Necro:

I use 1st bonus on my skirmishers (+1 extra)
Legendary weapon that gives me +2 more
Another leggo that gives my summons +11% attack speed on hit (stacks 3x)
Another bonus for +15% damage to slowed enemies

There’s a couple others as well but basically I have 7 skeletons, 3 bone mages and a blood golem with +33% attack speed. I drop decrepify to slow and debuff enemies and my gang absolutely shreds mobs. Sometimes I clean up with corpse explosion.

Something very satisfying about taking out a dozen and a half enemies without taking a single point of damage.

I will concede that most boss fights are not the best solo with my necro build. A lot of them don’t generate adds throughout the fight so it can be a real grind without enough corpses to keep up my summons.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
From my experience, Diablo players disliking new entries in the series is absolutely nothing new.

To this day there is no shortage of people who think 2 > 3.

Diablo 3 is legit shit. 2 is still the best in the franchise and its still better than 4 - but 4 is still a ton of fun. D3? Nah, not at all.

It’s very meh. Terrible itemization. Boring builds. Awful UI/QoL. Incredibly annoying overworld to navigate, made worse on mount. Blizzard went from making games that are ‘deceptively simple’ to ‘deceptively complex’. Game seems like way more than it actually is and people will realize this after the initial honeymoon phase ends.

Braag

It's better than D3 so far. I liked D2 Resurrected, but felt like it was overrated as the end game consisted of doing the exact same run 100 of times and teleport around to do it faster. People are on some serious nostalgia with that game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s very meh. Terrible itemization. Boring builds. Awful UI/QoL. Incredibly annoying overworld to navigate, made worse on mount. Blizzard went from making games that are ‘deceptively simple’ to ‘deceptively complex’. Game seems like way more than it actually is and people will realize this after the initial honeymoon phase ends.

Itemization is good, builds are more varied than D3's (not as good as D2 IMO), and the overworld is easy to navigate. Made even easier on a mount. What are you talking about?

MiguelItUp

If that's how you feel, that's how you feel. But I'm loving it, personally. I loved D3 for what it was, but I'm loving this a lot more. It LOOKS and FEELS more like what I expected D3 to be in every way. Really enjoying my time with my 45 Necro. 🤷‍♂️

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
End game bugs me as a more casual arpg player on these things:

Aside from the capstone dungeon and final extra boss, there is nothing to work up to like bosses in PoE. They need more big dick bosses for skill checks on par with Uber bosses.

The loot progression and loot overall is a bit hum ho. They needed more uniques and sets. I also have almost no incentive to swap gear ever. Often I just imprint the same skill onto my gear I already have on for very small improvements.

Loot feels even more dumb due to tier 3 being an almost unnecessary stepping stone. I can solo level 70 enemies and do solo tier 20 nightmare dungeons since like level 55? I’m 60 now and tonight I’m just going to unlock tier 4 so I can get to ancestral gear lol.

——

Also I think they need to give us load out options for skills and builds. Sometimes I just want to have the one character and freely swap between my werewolf shred build and my werebear pulverize build. As it is I’m just sticking with one build like everyone else.

Oh and the idea of leveling another character right now doesn’t sound fun at all because the world is so big, the campaign being long etc. Compared to D2/3 where it is easy to roll a new character and just go. PoE suffers every league from ugh gotta do the campaign to get to the fun.

Juras

Teleport as sorc to craft armour with teleport.

Teleport as paladin in armour with teleport to get op items from ubers.

Meanwhile get also this green beauty:
MEUtHDB.png

Now with armour with teleport, green beauty on your head and op items in inventory enyoy class and build you like except fire beaceuse 70% of mobs are resistant/immue.

Teleport to and kill Baal over six thounsand times to reach max level.

Repeat for each new ladder for twenty years.

Tell them how awesome D2 was while complaining about boring D4.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Dear OP, you're crazy. It's one of the best games I've played in years. I've played all of the major ARPGs - PoE, Last Epoch, D2R - and D4 is just so much pure fun. I never get sick of watching demons explode beneath the power of my arc lash.

Phase

It's like when people claim games had soul back in the day.

No, the games haven't changed and they never had soul. But YOU DID.
That just simply isn't true. Back when gaming was less mainstream most games were made by passionate devs who loved gaming themselves. That's where the innovative ideas and "soul" came from. Games used to be made with fun as the primary concern because they were made by gamers.

That just simply isn't true. Back when gaming was less mainstream most games were made by passionate devs who loved gaming themselves. That's where the innovative ideas and "soul" came from. Games used to be made with fun as the primary concern because they were made by gamers.
I don't disagree. I'm talking about the people who say there are no games with soul today. They're rare, but they still exist

ClosBSAS

you crazy op, you can also make your character more visible with a color silhoutte you can add in the iptions menu.

Katajx

Gold Member
My only problem at times has been the scaling feels wonky. Things feel good with my builds for a few levels, and then I keep getting upgrades, but a few levels later I feel noticeably weaker. I play mostly solo so I notice it when I am doing the events and dungeons.

sendit

Imagine making a thread complaining about X game in hopes to seek validation. What a said life.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Honestly, I’m so torned. On the one hand, I really dig the atmosphere, some classes, plot, side quests and art direction. It’s D2 on steroids and it’s freaking awesome.

On the other hand, MMO, open world and UI/UX are so bad at times, that I don’t even know what to think. Yes, Diablo 3 is considered the black sheep of the series, but on consoles it did a lot of things right. In D4 there is no overlay map, the skill tree is needlessly complex and unintuitive, comparing items is a pain because they’ve dropped the summary arrows and hot seat UI is just a mess of sub-menus for the sake of them. There is also a problem of platform-based balance. D3 on PC and Consoles was two different games and that was actually awesome. D4 feel too slow on PC and too clunky (especially auto aim) with the controller. It’s okay but not brilliant on all platforms, all for the sake of cross-play. The feature that I don’t even asked for, really.

While Sorc and Necro are fun, melee classes are still a slog to play with delayed input and frankly boring abilities. Still don’t get why I need to track more than 2 wepaons on Barb. It’s over complexity for the sake of it. Barb was always the easiest and most dumb fun class in the series. In D4 he is the most boring and unsatisfying character despite the fact that until the recent hotfix he was the king of meta. It’s hard to put it into proper words, but it’s not satisfying to play a character with muffled audio-visual feedback.

Openworld? Dunno, it’s mostly makes the game more bloated. You’re running for the sake of running, dungeons are located far and between and with teleports this far apart fast travel is usually useless. Mount complicates things too and feels totally out of place in a Diablo game.

And yes, despite Blizzard’s promises, MMO stuff is really immersion-breaking. I’m constantly bumping into other players like PussiWeed420 during main quest and the queue to access the PERSONAL chest in your private room feels so comical.

So no, you’re not crazy. I’m kinda torn too despite some brilliant execution of some aspects. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

PeteBull

From my experience, Diablo players disliking new entries in the series is absolutely nothing new.

To this day there is no shortage of people who think 2 > 3.
d2(currently d2r, remastered version) is vastly superior to 3, i will just give u my playtime in both, for comparision ,d3, which i played right at the start of expack, i played 300h+, d2r alone(so not counting og d2 coz that would be years of playtime), over 1,5k hours in 1,5 years it launched- online/offline and mods

The only thing that's crazy is playing 2 characters in the beta, not liking it, then buying the game to discover.......you dont like it. Well played sir.

In other news Diablo 4 for is sensational and am incredible revival for the ARPG genre. Think its pretty obv (just from your time in the beta) that's it's not for you.

Elog

You might be getting older, this particular game might not click with you et cetera. However, as the type of game that Diablo IV represents I have seen nothing except polish and brilliance so far tbh.

mxbison

The beta was fun but just didn't feel different enough to all the f2p games out there to really get me hyped.

I'll get it eventually but I'm in no rush.

Last edited:
I'm having a great time with the game. The campaign, amount of content, endgame, big events and running nightmares and strongholds with clanmates (never thought I'd join a clan again, but here I am having a good time with others on Discord) have been an enjoyable experience. I feel D4 is a very refined, amplified and matured Diablo.
I do not feel it's meh in any aspect and I'm pretty sure my 39 year old self has already put way more time in D4, than my 16 year old self did when D2 was released.

This is a very rose-tinted nostalgia take. The vast majority of games were broken, unfun and janky, shat out by companies for a quick cash grab, especially the ones with licensed IP. It's just that we tend to remember the classics and gems.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Level scaling just fucking sucks and enemy variety is kinda lacking so far. I've only been able to play a couple of hours and I'm only level 10 but the fights make not a whole lot of difference since the start, you still fight the same enemy types and it still takes about the same amount of hits to kill them.

Suer you unlock new abilities but I gotta be honest as a Barbarian a lot of these skills are mid and not fun.

The presentation is absolute S-tier. The graphics, the music, the audio design; everything is incredibly well done.

From what I’ve read your fun will vary based on the class. Barbarian seems to be the agreed upon funnest pick even though the spell-types look cooler visually.

StueyDuck

It's current day blizzard. We're you expecting anything more?

Blizzard haven't actually made a good game since starcraft 2

I’m enjoying this game a lot. It will more than likely be my game if the year.

Only star field has a chance for me but that is even doubtful.

Bungie

Trying to 100% everything has been a blast so far, I guess I enjoy the MMO like completionist feel this game has.

Playing on Deck. I was going to avoid it, but it's incredibly polished, and it runs unbelievably well on Deck. Atmosphere is fantastic, music is amazing, it feels good to play. The storytelling is only a small notch above D3, weirdly though.
It's good. I might think it's crap later, but it's fun.

I’m enjoying it for sure. I skipped all the cutscenes and dialogue and just B-lined it through the game doing some side quests. I’m playing for the loot and destruction, the story is the same structure every game basically so it’s kind of wasted on me.

Will revisit now and again and get my moneys worth on the first season pass (since I bought deluxe) but now will focus more time on getting good at SF6 and dip in and out of BF2042 (now that it’s actually pretty good!).

Wildebeest

Diablo is a gambling game. You could lock a player in a black, empty room with the monsters and no story, and they would have as good an experience. Probably a better experience if the monsters came at them in a more efficient way.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Diablo is a gambling game. You could lock a player in a black, empty room with the monsters and no story, and they would have as good an experience. Probably a better experience if the monsters came at them in a more efficient way.
That's some kinky demon shit dude
Maybe you should lay off playing for a bit

GymWolf

Ragdoll and hit reactions being toned down compared to d3 is my biggest gripe with the game.

D3 was the pinnacle of feeling powerfull in a isometric game.

Enemies having that half second of ragdoll and then fusing with the terrain is terrible to see in 2023, in d3 enemies's bodies still had ragdoll after dying, they were part of the world.

For everything else, i prefer d4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom