• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I missing something with Rise of the Tomb Raider?

jelly

Is the story and better in this game? I remember in the last one I got to the part where that guy sacrifices himself to save Lara and I'm just like "Dude who the fuck are you and why is this supposed to be meaningful?"

I have a lot of gripes with 2013 TR but the story is arguably one of the big ones. If that's fixed I might give it a rental.

It's not awful in ways like that, the characters are less offensive than that awful bunch in TR2013.

I honestly can't remember anything else, it's that forgettable.

Harlequin

How are the weapon upgrades forced? Unless it's a story-required upgrade, you get to choose what, when, and if you even want to upgrade your weapons. You can go to a campfire, auto-save, listen to monologue, and leave if you want. You don't have to upgrade anything. Same with going about getting resources or any other collectibles.

I didn't mean forced as in the player has to do them, I meant forced as in it felt like the developers forced it in there even though it doesn't really fit.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I really like it a lot, mechanically. The survival mode is fun for this reason, especially if you don't take things too seriously
when you die

The writing is absolutely *dire,* though. There's really no excuse for writing to be so bad in a character-driven adventure. It's almost insulting in a Bethesda sort of way.

Grisby

I'm conflicted about whether I should bother with RotTR or not. TR 2013 is among one of the worst games I've ever played, I've elaborated on my reasons plenty of times, so I was expecting RotTR to address the issues I had with the first game, but I've read so many different opinions about it that I don't know what to expect, some people love it and say it's better than TR 2013 and others say it is actually worse. I might borrow it when it comes out on PS4 and form an opinion then, hopefully CD has actually fixed some of the stuff I hated from the first game.
I mean, if you can borrow easily give it a shot.

However, if you think TR 2013 is one of the worst games you;ve ever played, then I don't think ROTR i going to change your mind. It's built off a lot of the same foundation.
I definitely see where you're coming from. I love the silence of say, the Souls series, but I feel the silent nature of Rise feels somewhat unnatural. I think there should be slightly more and slightly louder ambience.
I can see that. The Souls series is a great example at making you feel alone in strange places.

Not sure about your assessment. Uncharted 4 has given me quite possibly the most unanticipated satisfaction outside of a Souls game.

UC4 = unquestionably superb writing, acting and gameplay.

I'll give you the first two, but I absolutely question someone calling UC's gameplay "superb." I'd say Uncharted's actual gameplay is nothing more than average.

autoduelist

Even during combat you're constantly hitting R3 to bring up "Lara vision" (or whatever) to make sure you're not missing any of the little bits of bullshit scattered around absolutely everywhere.

Thank you for saving me money. Least favorite 'feature' ever. It almost makes sense -- you no longer have to waste time opening every single thing, but in practice it means you're just clicking a button constantly. Dragon Age Inquisition was the absolute worst case scenario for this.

Wanderer5

I enjoyed it better than TR2013, and felt like it was going on the right track, feeling more like a TR game. Still, feel like it could be pushed and tweak more through, like optional tombs and exploration. Pacing could be better too.

CHC

I bought in the BST thread for 20 bucks a while back, figuring it would be a marginal improvement over the first game, which was passably enjoyable in spite of its awful, trite writing quality. I mainly was interested in decent gameplay and spectacular graphics.

But Jesus the game was so uninteresting in every regard I just plain old quit at the halfway point.

Boring collecting of endless garbage (literal junk just lying on the ground). None of the upgrades feel necessary or particularly game changing, more like a waste of time and an attempt to get you to explore every inch of a world that is fundamentally just not that interesting to begin with.

Horrible wrtiting. And I mean a REAL stinker in this department. One of Lara's first lines ("we're close to something Jonah, I can FEEL it") was just an instant eyeroll first impression, and it got worse from there. So much uninspired crap like that woman who was after the grail and was coughing and smoking and - oh what a surprise, she has lung cancer! Now we're supposed to think that she's a deep character because she has ONE trait? Just so trite and overdone.

The characters are all annoying. There's not a single person in that game I would ever choose to hang out with and somehow they make Lara come across as a complete whiny wimp, despite the fact she is doing amazing and death-defying shit for the whole game. The whole "scared girl becoming brave" angle just isn't appropriate for a character who debuted as a fucking cocky-as-hell badass devil-may-care tomb raider.

WEAK shooting. The AK sounds like someone tapping a piece of paper with back of their pencil, and there are so many armored enemies who render headshots totally meaningless.

Technically the graphics are great but the environments themselves feel so last generation - tons of wood shacks, brown buildings, brown rocks, etc. again the word "uninspired" comes to mind.

I wanted to like the game, and I plan on trying it again (to put my new GPU through the paces but also because I like to prove myself wrong).... But man when I think of the game there is just so much about it that is unappealing, bland, and joyless.

I'll give you the first two, but I absolutely question someone calling UC's gameplay "superb." I'd say Uncharted's actual gameplay is nothing more than average.
Really? I think Uncharteds gameplay is absolutely superb. Its much better than 99% other third person shooters only being beaten by MGSV and about on par with Gears (Uncharted 4 plays better than Gears however).

Max_Po

Banned
I enjoyed it. Although I do not remember any of it.

I will pick it up again for $20. I think I enjoyed the reboot and definitive edition more.

Still gave to finish off the achievements! !!

firelogic

A lot of people must not play many games if TR2013 is one of the worst games you've ever played. That's just ludicrous. Not liking a game, sure, but to say it's one of the worst ever? Come on.

A lot of people must not play many games if TR2013 is one of the worst games you've ever played. That's just ludicrous. Not liking a game, sure, but to say it's one of the worst ever? Come on.

I enjoyed playing the game but the writing, voice acting, and just how seriously the game takes itself is among the worst I've experienced in a game

Fredrik

It felt the same as 1-3 to me. I guess the areas where you encounter enemies were a bit more intricate and better designed?
UC4 was about the same as the former games when you just go around shooting people like Rambo but start using stealth and it's a completely different game, I loved it.

However, it still have the standard problem with stealth games where enemies don't see you even though they should, you crouch in a bit of grass not nearly enough to hide you and they don't see you. It's quite ridiculous to be honest. Your ally can even run around crouched right infront of them as long as you as a gamer are hidden and the enemies don't see him/her. But it's a game. The stealth still make the game a ton more enjoying to play imo. Combine granades and stealth and it's pretty awesome. The sniper rifle was fun to use too, pistols and rifles not so much. I liked the big minigun guys too since they were so though to beat.

In the end it's the story and bigger action set pieces that makes it an awesome game and Naughty Dog certainly knows which strings to pull to get most of us satisfied.

Is the story and better in this game? I remember in the last one I got to the part where that guy sacrifices himself to save Lara and I'm just like "Dude who the fuck are you and why is this supposed to be meaningful?"

I have a lot of gripes with 2013 TR but the story is arguably one of the big ones. If that's fixed I might give it a rental.

Unfortunately no. I recommend playing the game but the story is uninteresting and needlessly bleak and it's definitely the weakest part.

Spence

I enjoy the game a lot, the story is plausible enough to sustain all the tomb raiding. Love finding a hidden tomb with it's own theme, puzzles and rewards.

FLAguy954

I would say the OP is missing a great many things as Rise of the Tomb Raider is a fantastic game IMO.

Agreed. It's definitely OP's loss, I'm enjoying my time with RotTR so far (it also helps that the PC version doesn't have the input lag that plagues the Xbone version).

DonMigs85

I enjoyed TR2013, but this game felt like a big chore for the most part. Didn't really care for most of the new characters, and the game really needs to be maxed out and running at 60fps on PC to look acceptable. Image quality is poor overall unless you can do 4X SSAA.

They're the same game. If you like TR2013, you like Rise.
Different settings, characters, story, puzzles, combat encounters, pacing, etc...

Don't be an idiot. Just because it plays similar and is on the same engine doesn't mean it's anywhere near the same experience.

In a lot of ways it is a better game than Tomb Raider 2013 and even Uncharted 4 but I came away from it oddly unsatisfied.

Input lag on the XBO version left me extremely disappointed too.

Really? I think Uncharteds gameplay is absolutely superb. Its much better than 99% other third person shooters only being beaten by MGSV and about on par with Gears (Uncharted 4 plays better than Gears however).

Two of those are actions games, the other is a shooter.

While I'll happily admit I'm biased, I could list the reasons why Gears of War is a better shooter than either game.

Uncharted 4 is definitely a step up from previous entries though and feels great in its own right.

Fredrik

In a lot of ways it is a better game than Tomb Raider 2013 and even Uncharted 4 but I came away from it oddly unsatisfied.

Input lag on the XBO version left me extremely disappointed too.
I think the shooter gameplay is better, the upgrades makes it more varied on a second playthrough and it's much less linear as a whole but it has worse story, less likable characters, not nearly as cool action set pieces and not nearly as varied going from chapter to chapter.

They're both great though, if TR is a 9/10 then UC4 is a 10/10, imo. UC4 might be about as linear as games get but going from shooting to being chased by an armoured truck, to driving a jeep in the mud, to drive a boat, to fall/climb a crumbling tower to... Well, you get the point, it's directed like a great action flick and it's a truly remarkable game even though the shooting doesn't make you go wow very often if ever.

The problem with the input lag on TR must be exaggerated, I have it on PC too which is supposed to be better but the only thing I've noticed is the hugely improved framerate and the better graphics.

Not sure about your assessment. Uncharted 4 has given me quite possibly the most unanticipated satisfaction outside of a Souls game.

What? The acting is great, but you can definitely question the writing and gameplay. Gameplay isn't just combat.

I enjoyed it a lot.

The combat and exploring just felt satisfying to me.

The only thing I found myself really wanting was a much more robust (and realistic) hunting and crafting system. I think I enjoyed that survival aspect of the game the most, but the animals were like way too populous and stupid, especially the deer.

& there you have it: people love this game because it's goddamn perfect! whether you know it or not! :) ...

bratpack

Lara does get more alone time in this game she does
raid underground caves
find hidden tombs which are way bigger than last time
There's more animals attacking her this time
The exploring comes into its own in this one IMO

The different arrow types was a nice touch

I'm gonna bring some positivity into this thread because the game does not deserve this amount of hate towards it the story is abit cartoony yes and its not a perfect game but Jesus what game is.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The game was OK. Wasn't as ground-breaking as the first, to be honest. It was solid, but hit diminish returns fast.
Ground-breaking? How?? It's literally AAA Checklist: the Game.

TR 2013 at least had a little bit of awareness that it was a totally absurd action game, and had good pacing. Rise was just a morose, bland mess with tons of pointless shit and no drive at all.
Wut. I must have missed it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Completely agree with the OP, I had the exact same issues with it. The excessive item-collecting absolutely destroyed the pace of the game, and the combat was far too easy. Wasn't as good as the first one IMO.

Fredrik

I enjoyed it a lot.

The combat and exploring just felt satisfying to me.

The only thing I found myself really wanting was a much more robust (and realistic) hunting and crafting system. I think I enjoyed that survival aspect of the game the most, but the animals were like way too populous and stupid, especially the deer.
I loved that too, the crafting and wildlife, it's not perfect but it's a huge improvement over TR2013, they could've removed the soldiers completely and it would still be a great game. In 2013 it was pointless to hunt and wolfs only appeared at QTEs, a complete waste of opportunity imo. They just need to flesh it out some more for the next game and it'll be awesome. I want the bears, or similar dangerous animals if she's in another part of the world, to wander around freely next time, like the deers, you always knew when you were in a dangerous area in Rise which was a bit boring. And why not add a survival aspect to it? Hunt something to eat or you'll starve to death. Find fresh water. Use plants and herbs to heal wounds. Etc.

bratpack

I loved that too, the crafting and wildlife, it's not perfect but it's a huge improvement over TR2013, they could've removed the soldiers completely and it would still be a great game. In 2013 it was pointless to hunt and wolfs only appeared at QTEs, a complete waste of opportunity imo. They just need to flesh it out some more for the next game and it'll be awesome. I want the bears, or similar dangerous animals if she's in another part of the world, to wander around freely next time, like the deers, you always knew when you were in a dangerous area in Rise which was a bit boring. And why not add a survival aspect to it? Hunt something to eat or you'll starve to death. Find fresh water. Use plants and herbs to heal wounds. Etc.

I think there's something like that in a DLC for the game endurance mode or something

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I loved it. Was second on my GOTY list last year. But if you're not digging it after five hours you're not going to.

DesuNe

Solid games but definitely not a candidate for my GOTY any year. They're good games if you enjoy that kind of cinematic experience where you're literally watching a movie plus some extra bits in between.

One question though OP, surely you knew what you were getting into based on the first Tomb Raider reboot? That had similar reviews.

sense

Story and characters pull me through games even if gameplay is not great and uncharted fall in this category even though the gameplay is actually good personally but some fights can drag in sp but it shines in mp. Gameplay being good doesn't necessarily pull me through games if story and characters suck and tomb raider falls in this category. I was very bored an hour into the tomb raider reboot and never went back to it so not sure if I will give the sequel a shot but I heard it has improved in those departments so maybe when it is cheap.

SilentRob

People think this game is better than Uncharted 4 LOL

I do, but that is probably because they are very different and go for two completely different gameplay loops. Both games are absolutely succesfull at what they want to do, it just so happens I like what RofTR tries to do a lot more.

Toa TAK

Banned
For me, even though I enjoyed the cliched, stereotypical story in the first one a lot more, what I really enjoyed about this game was the exploration. I liked having all these open environments to run through and having more tombs does a lot in its favor. Are they challenging? Not really, but I feel like the focus on the exploration did it for me in ways I had hoped the first did. Plus, there's a lot more replayablity with this game through its DLC and score attack.

I can completely see why people wouldn't be into it and the first, but for me it hits the rights notes to keep going, despite the boring story.

Top Bottom