• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Breaks Video Game Pre-Order Records By PS4/XBO, Up 4000% YoY, 2x Black Friday

MS would be foolish not to add value to make the One more enticing. If they do, will be interesting to see how Sony counter.

A years gold and the full version of KIL for free would make up for the price difference in my opinion. Sony could do the same, offer a years Plus which will come with a free game in Drive Club PS+ edition.
What did you pre-order btw?

You act like it's some huge percentage of people who pre-order vs. cancelling. Care to provide any data?

I think it's safe to assume most who pre-order a product intend to buy it regardless of if they pay now or later.

No, I'm not. I'm just saying that other retailers who require a deposit have a better "outcome" in my opinion. Having someone provide $100 to reserve is more of a commitment than a "Preorder now" button.

Bikram

So wait, does it mean preorder number at Amazon US for PS4 should be in excess of 5 millions? Am I doing the math wrong?

That is really an irrelevant observation, since in almost every case the more powerful console has also been the more expensive. That isn't the case now. History doesn't really repeat itself anyway, that is a falacy. People's reactions to certain types of events do show patterns though of course.

Not irrelevant when the person I was replying to only wanted to speak of specs versus price. Most people buy based on exclusive content, which is the point of a console platform's existence. As well, Kinect's inclusion is a point in the favor of X1 since it's added value, no matter what many who don't care for it say, it has had appeal strong enough to drive sales of more expensive options on the market. We don't even know if and how people will take to the television end of the equation. These are basic features, selling points, exclusive to the platform. It's not about specs, it's about content and feature set as it always has been. Then there's the question of whether or not and and when MS will employ contract-pricing to drive the price below PS4.

I'm already laughing at the people who said that PS4 and Xbone will sell as poorly as the Wii U. Realistically, it was never going to happen.

Where are those people? I remember every "WiiU doing poorly" thread had a bunch of posters going "Do you think X720/PS4 will do any better?".

GetemMa

got a PS4 from Target because I had a $100 gift card and a corporate discount. $272 total (awesome)

I had to be one of the first because I was refreshing the product page over and over after the PS4 press conference. Preorder option didn't show up until about 2 AM eastern.

I better get my launch day PS4 Target. Delivered to me. At my feet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm already laughing at the people who said that PS4 and Xbone will sell as poorly as the Wii U. Realistically, it was never going to happen.
Me too. There was even one guy who said that Wii U would get more third party support than PS4/XBO this fall since it already has a bigger install base.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If they are undecided, its like three clicks away from throwing their name down on a unit. At any moment before launch, they can cancel. This is why you see a lot of Special Editions come back in stock.
Cancelling a preorder, whether there's money down or not, is not a huge undertaking. It's a matter of a few clicks, either way. It's not something that amounts to "a whole lot" of difference.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think a lot of called it that there was a ton of pent up demand from core gamers for new platforms. The question will be is how they carry this momentum forward in the hard months February-August. There is a good chance 1 separates from the other and goes on to win with the early momentum.

Nizz

I did my part and pre-ordered a PS4 after the conference finished. I kept going to Amazon and checking until I saw I was able to add to cart.

GetemMa

Where are those people? I remember every "WiiU doing poorly" thread had a bunch of posters going "Do you think X720/PS4 will do any better?".

But the WiiU launch wasn't bad though. Gamestop had a wait list for WiiU. But after the superfans were done it dried up.

Launch doesn't mean shit and that includes PS4 and Xbone. You should know this.

Superfans hype this stuff to no end and buy all of them up. It is still entirely possible that these new consoles will start struggling in the Sring and Summer of 2014. Just look at the number of really big games still coming to the current gen in Q4 and Q1/Q2 of 2014:

Titanfall, Destiny, COD, Batman, Gran Turismo 6, Assassins Creed 4, GTA V, EA sports games.

These are the games that the middle ground gamers buy consoles for, and they already own consoles that play all these games. They won't rush out and drop $400 and $500 to play Dead Rising 3 or Infamous Second Son or Killzone despite what fanboys think.

Nah, I actually think these new consoles have a lot to prove. Not buying the post E3 preorder hype one iota.

FluxWaveZ

But the WiiU launch wasn't bad though. Gamestop had a wait list for WiiU.

Launch doesn't mean shit and that includes PS4 and Xbone.

On the Wii U's launch day, a whole lot of people could walk into a whole lot of stores and just pick one up off a shelf.

I think it's ridiculous to think that that will be possible with the PS4 or Xbox One.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MS would be foolish not to add value to make the One more enticing. If they do, will be interesting to see how Sony counter.

A years gold and the full version of KIL for free would make up for the price difference in my opinion. Sony could do the same, offer a years Plus which will come with a free game in Drive Club PS+ edition.
They're not going to do that, and it wouldn't help anyways. Bundling something to add value has never worked for consoles in trying to boost sales. Look at the Vita and its instant game collection bundle...something like 8 games bundled with the system.

Most people base their purchases on the games for a gaming console. Every console gen is historically dominated by the weaker specced console, anyway, so that shouldn't surprise anyone paying attention.

I thought it was the cheaper console that won, which usually also the less powerful console.

I would also be very hesitant in drawing any conclusions about the future success of the console based on pre-order figures. The WiiU did very well on the pre-orders, and look what happened to it.

GetemMa

On the Wii U's launch day, a whole lot of people could walk into a whole lot of stores and just pick one up off a shelf.

I think it's ridiculous to think that that will be possible with the PS4 or Xbox One.

Sure, but not everywhere. Nintendo already admitted they screwed up their distribution and regardless the launch numbers were good.

WiiU sold over 3 million in its first 5 to 6 weeks. That is better than both 360 and PS3.

Then it tanked.

Granted the core audience for PS4/Xbone will be larger and the slow down could be a longer process, but it could easily still happen.

IMO the middle ground to casual gamer will need some convincing to move on to the next gen quickly considering the price tags and the games still being released and the initial so so graphical upgrade on offer.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sure, but not everywhere. Nintendo already admitted they screwed up their distribution and regardless the launch numbers were good.

WiiU sold over 3 million in its first 5 to 6 weeks. That is better than both 360 and PS3.

Then it tanked.

Granted the core audience for PS4/Xbone will be larger and the slow down could be a longer process, but it could easily still happen.

IMO the middle ground to casual gamer will need some convincing to move on to the next gen quickly considering the price tags and the games still being released and the initial so so graphical upgrade on offer.

So just like every other generation then excluding the Wii.

I thought it was the cheaper console that won, which usually also the less powerful console.
Cheaper price didn't save GameCube or Dreamcast when the content most of the market wanted was on PS2, despite their being above or below the specs of Sony's machine. Specs didn't save XBOX against PS2, either, and it was priced at the same level. Price obviously is a major consideration, but specs aren't for most people. Otherwise, we wouldn't still be in a generation where Wii still has outsold the X360 and PS3 or where DS destroyed PSP or where 3DS destroyed Vita. The one common thread throughout console domination is content and feature set, not price, not specs. The focus on price and specs is a PC-centric thing.

Nash20

Banned

Then it tanked.

Both 360 and PS3 had extremely limited supplies. Wii U is already reaching record lows, its just going to get worse with PS3 being only 50 bucks more expensive.

jkanownik

@cheapyd has been posting the splits for his Amazon affiliate console pre-orders

David Abrams ‏@CheapyD 1h
Xbox DRM policy change had a small impact on CAG pre-orders. PS4 selling around 47% better. Killzone & Watch Dogs are most popular titles.

So wait, does it mean preorder number at Amazon US for PS4 should be in excess of 5 millions? Am I doing the math wrong?
If you're basing that off the 2500/minute figure, those are just peak numbers, which would've been a short window within the time between when the preorders opened up and now. I'd guess it happened shortly after preorders opened as the E3 conferences ended and people got notification emails from Amazon.

GetemMa

Both 360 and PS3 had extremely limited supplies. Wii U is already reaching record lows, its just going to get worse with PS3 being only 50 bucks more expensive.

PS3 wasn't supply constrained. Nobody wanted it for 499/599 american dollars with no games.

USC-fan

Banned
PS3 wasn't supply constrained. Nobody wanted it for 499/599 american dollars with no games.

Yes it was in 2006. It sold out everywhere and went for big $$$ on ebay.

It wasnt until jan of 2007 that you could find them in stores. X360 shortages lasted longer and wii went for years it seem.

It wasnt until jan of 2007 that you could find them in stores. X360 shortages lasted longer and wii went for years it seem.

g8JzwB2.jpeg

GetemMa

Yeah, so 6 weeks after launch PS3 sales tanked, right after the fan boy feeding frenzy. Just like the WiiU only slightly better.

This is my point. All this post E3 pre-order frenzy for the next gen doesn't convince me of anything about the success of the next gen. Pachter's numbers of around 85-90 million for both the xbone and PS4 are wildly optimistic IMO, especially with that 499 xbone price tag.

Darryl

Banned

people said this about the PS3, Wii, and 360 as well. there are always stories. i got curious and looked around my town. it was sold out everywhere, even the basics. i checked store locators and there weren't any anywhere i looked. t was in the next supply shipment that they started showing up.

@cheapyd has been posting the splits for his Amazon affiliate console pre-orders

That's only from those using CAG, but still 47% higher for PS4 is actually lower than I thought it would be. That means for every 3 preorders for PS4 they got 2 for XBone. A big gap for sure, but smaller than one might think if you only read GAF.

Its going to be closer than people think, especially over the long run.

They're not going to do that, and it wouldn't help anyways. Bundling something to add value has never worked for consoles in trying to boost sales. Look at the Vita and its instant game collection bundle...something like 8 games bundled with the system.

I don't think you can compare it to the Vita. You still need to spend a considerable amount to both access those free games and on the storage needed to download them.

Bundling a years gold/plus would add value and also help to lock people into the ecosystem. With both now putting online gaming behind a paywall, bundling a years sub makes a lot of sense and gives some sense of value.

That's only from those using CAG, but still 47% higher for PS4 is actually lower than I thought it would be. That means for every 3 preorders for PS4 they got 2 for XBone. A big gap for sure, but smaller than one might think if you only read GAF.

Its going to be closer than people think, especially over the long run.

IGN reported 3:2 US split, although before MS dumped DRM.

Anecdotal, but three people at work have switched back from the PS4 to One after the news about no DRM broke. They seemed very happy that it will be business as usual. Very happy.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens on a larger scale as the news slowly disseminates into the mainstream.

Youll be in a for a rude awakening. all the ppl that i know that gamed on both consoles or mainly on Xbox still plan on getting a Ps4 and not a Xbone. If i had to take a guess id think maybe 10% of those who preordered a Ps4 bcus of Drm switched back to Xbone and not many more. Xbone still has many negatives, mainly the bs and lies they spew and the shafting theyve been giving consumers since years back with RROD and now with the bs they tried to pull.

What did you pre-order btw?

Nothing yet. I'm still waiting it out and sticking to my plan of going PC only for a couple of years.

Saying that though, I'm pretty tempted to buy a One at launch after watching the Dead Rising 3 demo. I'm a sucker for zed games and it's looking pretty good.

Top Bottom