• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Breaks Video Game Pre-Order Records By PS4/XBO, Up 4000% YoY, 2x Black Friday

guch20

Banned
Anyone thinking PS4's possible early lead means anything is sorely mistaken. Don't get me wrong--since the news about each console broke, I've gone from an owner of consoles from both parties to strictly PS4 next gen. But facts are facts. And the facts are that:

1) Microsoft has a history of committing insane amounts of money to advertising and cross-promotions (Doritos, Mt. Dew, etc). Like it or not, this shit works to convince the casuals that paying $100 extra for a weaker console with a camera that needs to be connected at all times is a good thing.

2) Microsoft's CoD/Battlefield 4/TitanFall deals, no matter how limited the exclusivity of the DLC or game, is a massive coup for capturing the coveted "Pew! Pew! Dudebro" market. These folks don't care about weaker consoles/DRM or NSA scares/Kinect being stupid. They care about shooting their friends in the face. And once they start to choose a console as their preference, it becomes the "cool" console, and the rest of the dudebros follow.

3) As much as the majority of core gamers couldn't give two shits about the Xbone's ability to plug in your cable box to allow you to watch TV on your TV, or how it lets you shrink down your main screen to unviewable sizes so you can Skype, or the ability to start waving your arms around like a shithead to control your TV instead of the old fashioned, boring method of tapping a button, these features are going to amaze the shit out of moms across the country. Sure, $500 is a lot to pay just for that feature, but when little Billy is begging for a new Halo machine and mom sees the wacky TV shit, that bitter price pill will be much easier to swallow.

As much as I hate to say it, I see the upcoming gen going very much like the current one: Xbox winning the UK and North America, PlayStation winning everywhere else. Overall numbers will be very close.

Though I'll secretly be hoping for an absolute, embarrassingly huge victory from Sony, just to teach Microsoft some much needed humility...like Sony had to learn a few years back.

Kyoufu

As much as I hate to say it, I see the upcoming gen going very much like the current one: Xbox winning the UK and North America, PlayStation winning everywhere else. Overall numbers will be very close.

Though I'll secretly be hoping for an absolute, embarrassingly huge victory from Sony, just to teach Microsoft some much needed humility...like Sony had to learn a few years back.

If it turns out to be the same as this gen then Sony will lead as they won't be 1 year behind. I agree about North America and UK, but it'll be veeeery close in the latter as PS4 is the cheaper console. It might even be the market leader.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Anyone thinking PS4's possible early lead means anything is sorely mistaken. Don't get me wrong--since the news about each console broke, I've gone from an owner of consoles from both parties to strictly PS4 next gen. But facts are facts. And the facts are that:

1) Microsoft has a history of committing insane amounts of money to advertising and cross-promotions (Doritos, Mt. Dew, etc). Like it or not, this shit works to convince the casuals that paying $100 extra for a weaker console with a camera that needs to be connected at all times is a good thing.

2) Microsoft's CoD/Battlefield 4/TitanFall deals, no matter how limited the exclusivity of the DLC or game, is a massive coup for capturing the coveted "Pew! Pew! Dudebro" market. These folks don't care about weaker consoles/DRM or NSA scares/Kinect being stupid. They care about shooting their friends in the face. And once they start to choose a console as their preference, it becomes the "cool" console, and the rest of the dudebros follow.

3) As much as the majority of core gamers couldn't give two shits about the Xbone's ability to plug in your cable box to allow you to watch TV on your TV, or how it lets you shrink down your main screen to unviewable sizes so you can Skype, or the ability to start waving your arms around like a shithead to control your TV instead of the old fashioned, boring method of tapping a button, these features are going to amaze the shit out of moms across the country. Sure, $500 is a lot to pay just for that feature, but when little Billy is begging for a new Halo machine and mom sees the wacky TV shit, that bitter price pill will be much easier to swallow.

I agree with this person. I'm PS4 person all they way but MS is gonna bring it.

How many X1 pre order slots do they have? Some how they still haven't sold out of the day one version despite it being in the top 3 spots on the best seller list since it went up.

As powerful as MS's marketing machine is, it's currently failing to capture mindshare for Surface and Windows Phone (and Windows 8, I guess, but that hardly matters because it comes pre-installed). Not that Sony's mindshare approaches Apple's or Google's, but if MS keeps playing its cards wrong, its giant ad budget may not help all that much.

Krakn3Dfx

If it turns out to be the same as this gen then Sony will lead as they won't be 1 year behind. I agree about North America and UK, but it'll be veeeery close in the latter as PS4 is the cheaper console. It might even be the market leader.

I agree NA, I think Sony has a very good chance of taking the UK if their online is proper this time around out of the gate.

elfinke

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Amazon is a no dollar down pre order system right? And you're not contractually obliged to hang on to the pre order (I live in Australia and barely ever use any variation of Amazon, much less pre order something on it)?

So this statement is fucking worthless, in the most literal sense. That showmethereceipts.gif has never been more relevant. How many pre orders were made with a significant down payment would be a more pertinent number to know.

vpance

I don't see Xbox winning in any major territory, and I'm not sure how you could figure that given yield issues, a higher price, and losing 2 to 1 in preorders and polls.

Fjordson

It's a good start, hopefully they keep up the momentum post launch.

I got my PS4 pre-order in from Amazon. Not totally sure on the XBone right now, though I can see myself grabbing one early next year.

I agree with your points but think you overstate. I predict PS4 will have a 2 million or greater lead worldwide by the end of 2014.

kairu

Playstation 4 Stnadard Edition is making another push on amazon. Lets push it above the Xbox One! I would love 1 of the 5 PS4 options beat out the one XBO. Lets show microsoft that being an untrustworthy shit-bag of a company has consequences.

http://amzn.to/125wLJo

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I agree. It'll be close again but I think the price of the PS4 will help it a lot as long as they can keep the pricing lead and balance game announcements and releases.

harSon

Banned
As powerful as MS's marketing machine is, it's currently failing to capture mindshare for Surface and Windows Phone (and Windows 8, I guess, but that hardly matters because it comes pre-installed). Not that Sony's mindshare approaches Apple's or Google's, but if MS keeps playing its cards wrong, its giant ad budget may not help all that much.

It's easier to promote a product when you already have a significant consumer block buying into its predecessor.

Espada

Holy crap, that's a huge response from consumers. It seems like the console market still has some life in it. All that's left is to see what the launch figures are and the sales for the first year.

Scarecrow

seems like I got suckered buying the reg edition of PS4 when it first went up last week instead of that launch day one. Anyone else in the same boat?

guch20

Banned
I don't see Xbox winning in any major territory, and I'm not sure how you could figure that given yield issues, a higher price, and losing 2 to 1 in preorders and polls.

Because even if all the yield issues rumors and polling numbers are correct, what happens in the first few months of a console's existence is not necessarily representative of what its entire lifespan will be like. If it were, Sony probably would never have made a PS4.

kuroshiki

So far MS has failed to do anything with Windows phone or tablet market.

So yeah. I'm not so sure.

longdi

Banned
until they turned these next gen consoles on....and find out the games play just like PS3/360, only with just sharper graphics..ftl

Eusis

I'm already laughing at the people who said that PS4 and Xbone will sell as poorly as the Wii U. Realistically, it was never going to happen.
Wii U also sold out in pre-orders. Though I think more likely we'll see a slower adoption rate for the new consoles period, but not necessarily Wii U numbers. Especially as that's probably a one two combo of poor messaging and too few key games, I actually wonder if there'll be a synergy effect with the new PlayStation and Xbox that gets people wanting one?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
This can't be true, GI.biz told me that the new game consoles are generic, boring, and will succumb to the mobile/casual market due to their failure to innovate.

ahm998

Both has nothings interested me in Lunch but definitely i will get PS4 after it's release strong exclusive game.

PerZona

Anddddd people are saying console gaming is dead. Take that console haters!

I pre-ordered the PS4 at Amazon too, despite staying in Singapore. Since the PS4 launch in Singapore is definitely gonna be in Q1 2014 @.@

In any case, I think many peeps from Asia that want a Xbox One would order in Amazon too, since Microsoft had said that the console will only arrive 1 year later in Asia.

But console gaming is dead!

I don't think anyone ever disputed that the core console gamer is hungry for new machines. The question in everyones minds is if the casual gamer will follow suit. The console game industry cannot survive in its current state by attracting only the few faithful.

burst

Wasn't long ago that people were saying they can't imagine these consoles selling well out of the gate haha

logically, I think you have to predict that Sony will at least close the gap in America and the UK, even if they don't end up winning those markets.

the PS3 was a year later and $200 more expensive. the PS4 is launching at the same time and $100 cheaper. ignoring the power difference (because based on history it's pretty much impossible to say how much that makes a difference in actual console sales), those two factors are key.

before Sony sold a single PS3, Microsoft had sold 3 million 360s here in the US.

3-NPD-monthly-LTD-0708.png

El-Suave

Finally some nice launch anticipation and excitement. And a battle between manufacturers on top of it. That has been missing for far too long, the handhelds and the Wii U sadly couldn't provide that vibe.

I don't think anyone ever disputed that the core console gamer is hungry for new machines. The question in everyones minds is if the casual gamer will follow suit. The console game industry cannot survive in its current state by attracting only the few faithful.

I think two big factors have hurt the last couple of years of this console generation that have nothing to do with tablets and smart phones (which I'm sure had *some* impact, but I feel the other two factors add up to something more significant).

on one hand you have the generation going on too long. the Wii sold to lots of casuals, but then the software support completely dried up and there weren't new games to keep people buying software to play on their Wiis.

on the other hand, you have the fact that even though the generation has gone on for so long, neither the 360 or the PS3 have hit the price points at which the PSX and PS2 really started selling through to casual games.

too long. too expensive. I think those are larger factors than tablets and smart phones, though I think those remain a factor. I just think we'll see a really solid bounce back as A: 360 and PS3 finally go below $200, and B: the hardcore gamers who have been hungry for new systems finally get them.

hopefully the PS4 and Xbox One won't stay above $200 for nearly as long.

Hazelhurst

Does anyone know if amazon uses a first come first serve basis for pre orders meaning the people who ordered right away on June 10th are guaranteed?
Believe it or not,this is the first time Amazon has done pre-orders for a non-handheld next-gen gaming console. I'm referring to the US Amazon.

Top Bottom