• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Breaks Video Game Pre-Order Records By PS4/XBO, Up 4000% YoY, 2x Black Friday

Holy shit point me to this thread, I need a good laugh.

Find any month's NPD thread. That's all you need for tons of entertainment.

I wonder if the market has shifted to there being 2 "main" consoles and a complementary console. Not necessarily in truth, but in the minds of many console purchasers. At least this seems to be the case with early adopters.

nah wii u had the massive preorder craze thing going as well. it shut down immediately in January, before the "no games" set in.

Wasn't that mostly due to scalpers? It is possible that the PS4 and One see a sales slow down, but it is not the most likely outcome. All of the major titles will be released for these consoles and they will be the exclusive locations of titles like Halo, Uncharted, GOW, GoW, and so on for many years to come. The marketing for both consoles will generate buzz and the price(s) are viable enough for market penetration.
I personally beleive the PS4's price is going to allow for much greater market penetration.
If the 360 and PS3 don't receive price drops or substantial price drops then these consoles value proposition is increased beccause of the smaller gulf in pricing.

Darryl

Banned
No it couldn't. These systems are going to get flooded with games throughout 2014 to keep the sales up. It's not going to be anything like Wii U.

nah wii u had the massive preorder craze thing going as well. it shut down immediately in January, before the "no games" set in.

I think that amazon not selling the Wii U directly really really hurt them in the long turn.

People like buying things from amazon and that was not possible at first and now only 3rd party sellers.

Interfectum

I think its just wishful thinking on the part of some Nintendo fans.

It is. Some are so delusional that they'd say that the console industry is dead rather than accept that Nintendo massively fucked up with the Wii U. Their wake up call is coming through.

Yasir

Yeah because people like paying more money for a weaker console.

I don't think that many people know; I bet many may even think the One is more powerful. Infinite power of the cloud and the various outlets also not realising the power differences.

adelante

You're talking about Titanfall, aren't you?

Last I checked, Halo won't be appearing on any other console save for Microsoft's. Not that I'm ever a fan of the series but yeah, some people cannot live without that game believe it or not. This also applies to other exclusives.

Curufinwe

I think its just wishful thinking on the part of some Nintendo fans.

Not just Nintendo fans. The Apple Utopia crowd have been pushing the idea that no one wants consoles anymore now they have iPads. They have taken the drop off in software sales as a sign consumers have moved on from consoles, instead of recognizing that this is the longest console generation in history and it was only natural for interest to dwindle after five or six years of PS3 and 360 games.

As soon as new consoles were revealed that were a significant leap forward technically, the interest has returned.

Shambles

Most people base their purchases on the games for a gaming console. Every console gen is historically dominated by the weaker specced console, anyway, so that shouldn't surprise anyone paying attention.

When was the last time the weaker console was also significantly more expensive?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This tells me more than anything that this generation was long overdue to move to next-gen. People were getting tired of waiting.

Why should he shut up? It's a valid concern. We like to act like it's not true but price is the biggest factor in determining how well a console sells especially in America. $399 automatically looks better to a consumer than $499.

MS would be foolish not to add value to make the One more enticing. If they do, will be interesting to see how Sony counter.

A years gold and the full version of KIL for free would make up for the price difference in my opinion. Sony could do the same, offer a years Plus which will come with a free game in Drive Club PS+ edition.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yes. No reason not to. I've got both preordered so I can decided later which one I want at launch
But that's not really the same thing. You do intend to make a purchase.

The ease of cancelling a preorder on Amazon isn't reason by itself to completely brush aside the significance of these numbers.

Is this a thing on Amazon - people who preorder just to preorder without any intention of completing the purchase?

If they are undecided, its like three clicks away from throwing their name down on a unit. At any moment before launch, they can cancel. This is why you see a lot of Special Editions come back in stock.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Anecdotal, but three people at work have switched back from the PS4 to One after the news about no DRM broke. They seemed very happy that it will be business as usual. Very happy.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens on a larger scale as the news slowly disseminates into the mainstream.

A coworker of mine who casually games told me he saw a story on the news earlier this morning regarding the Xbox One, and the whole situation of them backing off on their policies. It was also mentioned that the damage may have already been done, so I don't know how they're delivering these stories. If it's not quite in a positive light that could sway consumer opinion.

When was the last time the weaker console was also significantly more expensive?

Probably never. And that's going to be the test for MS' inclusion of Kinect which has previously maintained, even raised, the average selling price of their consoles this generation. Guess they're banking on that and the television programming interface and exclusive content partnerships to justify the difference. There is little chance for MS to lose the majority of their dominance right away, because XBOX IPs have generally dominated over Sony ones this entire gen in NA with Gold subs and higher selling prices all in the mix. Still, gotta wonder what that price difference does to the rest of the audience, post-launch period, who might not be into XBOX as much. Differences in specs between same-generation platforms never seem to be the selling point no matter what in console land.

Interfectum

If they are undecided, its like three clicks away from throwing their name down on a unit. At any moment before launch, they can cancel. This is why you see a lot of Special Editions come back in stock.

You act like it's some huge percentage of people who pre-order vs. cancelling. Care to provide any data?

I think it's safe to assume most who pre-order a product intend to buy it regardless of if they pay now or later.

Striek

2500/minute at peak?

You would assume that means, even if it was only one minute at that level, there were hundreds of thousands of preorders through the week. Doesn't seem feasible :x

Also makes me wonder how many PSN and XBL cards Amazon sells each year (given the 2013 bestseller list).

Most people base their purchases on the games for a gaming console. Every console gen is historically dominated by the weaker specced console, anyway, so that shouldn't surprise anyone paying attention.

That is really an irrelevant observation, since in almost every case the more powerful console has also been the more expensive. That isn't the case now. History doesn't really repeat itself anyway, that is a falacy. People's reactions to certain types of events do show patterns though of course.

Verendus

Banned
Krillin really will walk alone.

This gamepad has a poison on it's breaaaaaath
This gaming culture of both wicked lies and deaaaaaath
It makes my sales bleed everytime I turn around
How will they all feel when I go into the ground?
And I say...

I walked for miles towards this grave of dangeeeeer
I've swallowed down 124 years of angeeeeer
The weight of the gaming world is falling on my shouldeeeeers
A place where no one follows me, I walk alooooooooooone

Yeah!
I walk aloooooooone!!

Xater

I love how they purposefully don#t say what the split was. I also think this is a pretty good sign that people are sick of this generation. it just went on for way too long.

Top Bottom