• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon CEO demands a 'Game of Thrones' style hit

The mandate from Jeff Bezos is clear: Bring me “Game of Thrones.”

That’s the word that has the creative community buzzing this week about a major strategy shift underway for Amazon Studios’ original series efforts.

The CEO of the e-commerce giant is said to have tasked Amazon Studios chief Roy Price with honing the focus on high-end drama series with global appeal. Amazon’s decision this week to scrap plans for a second season of period drama “Z: The Beginning of Everything” reflects the new marching orders.

On Friday, Amazon confirmed five new projects — series greenlights for a period drama from Paul Attanasio and Wong Kar-wai and a comedy starring Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph; two comedy pilots; and a Seth Rogen-produced comic book adaptation eyed as a straight-to-series order — that reflect the drive to find shows that deliver sizzle in the water-cooler environs of social media and can travel around the world.

“It comes out of analysis of the data and conversations among the leadership team,” Price said. “We’ve been looking at the data for some time, and as a team we’re increasingly focused on the impact of the biggest shows. It’s pretty evident that it takes big shows to move the needle.”

Price cited Amazon’s “Man in the High Castle,” the unscripted “Grand Tour,” and the new comedy “The Tick” as examples of existing shows that fit the bill of having global appeal. And he doesn’t mince words about his interest in finding a show that packs the wallop of HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”

“I do think ‘Game of Thrones’ is to TV as ‘Jaws’ and ‘Star Wars’ was to the movies of the 1970s,” Price said. “It’ll inspire a lot of people. Everybody wants a big hit and certainly that’s the show of the moment in terms of being a model for a hit.”

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-jeff-bezos-roy-price-zelda-1202552532/

Yeah uh, good luck with that. Game of Thrones didn't exactly become this megahit right out of the gate. It took time to snowball.

slit

Well if it lights a fire under them then good. They are way behind Netflix and HBO on the quality original programming front.

Fat4all

Banned
good luck with that

Transparent will probs be the closest you get for a while

after that, it's up to luck and skill

Jyrii

Banned
Should make series of Malazan book of the fallen.

Not that it would get into GoT levels of hype, nothing will.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If it were that easy, every network would be full of top-rated shows

Yeah uh, good luck with that. Game of Thrones didn't exactly become this megahit right out of the gate. It took time to snowball.
Did it? I feel like it was a pretty big hit right away.

cirrhosis

Damn, I enjoyed Z. Amazon will never have a mega - show like GOT. Money is not there.

i fear no one will everyone able to do Dune right

Unfortunately I concur

Edit - do the horus heresy from the beginning, script written competently. Could last forever

Well if it lights a fire under them then good. They are way behind Netflix and HBO on the quality original programming front.

Yep, I recently thought about cancelling Prime, because there's currently nothing interesting and I don't order that often from them that the free shipping would be worth it..
Netflix is just that much better when it comes to television.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I have a suggestion... Berserk.

news_xlarge_berserk1.jpg

jelly

So, will they buy the rights to something or make something new?

People have said World War Z would be better as a series but film rights have probably stopped that for now.

Sci Fi is probably a tough one. The Expanse is kinda similar but hasn't gained great popularity unfortunately, great show, watch it.

Halo from Microsoft needs seem mainstream love, again that's sci fi which might not get the numbers.

That Southern Reach trilogy was one that popped into my head but again, that's an upcoming film now.

If it were that easy, every network would be full of top-rated shows

Did it? I feel like it was a pretty big hit right away.

Emphasis megahit in this instance. Like, it did very well, especially for HBO's subscription service, but it has built up each season and subsequent hype. Here's a chart shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia to visualise such:

oFeffkh.png

Naturally, pirating has gone up exponentially over time as well. You will not see 'Game of Thrones' as it stands today in season 1 of whatever its next equivalent in popularity is.

Remember when people claimed grand tour was going to make bbc cry and regret everything?

throw half a billion dollars at some people and cant get a hit

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Well if anything it probably means that creators are taking a serious look at fantasy which is good. Maybe those got guys can finish name of the wind for that other guy that can't finish stories

Edit: also time to forget dark tower movie happened and....

How about Mass Effect? You've got a good story with a clear arc that would work for probably 6 seasons, with good characters and enough content and world building to expand as well. They don't want to just do another fantasy shoe because that would never get out GoT's shadow.

I have a suggestion... Berserk.

http://cdn2.natalie.mu/media/comic/1606/0610/extra/news_xlarge_berserk1.[IMG][/QUOTE]
Would be a huge hit if done mostly faithfully. Don't know about being as big as GoT, though.
[quote="Maintenance, post: 248454632"]Well, one thing in common is that both series would end before the real ending happened.

Plus, one whole season of

[IMG]https://i.giphy.com/media/l2Jeczy9FOg59bKYE/giphy.webp[IMG][/QUOTE]
The extremely long breaks between releases really did a disservice to that arc. If read at the pace of any other Berserk arc it is actually entertaining, the art is spectacular and the sea monster designs are right out of our worst nightmares.

shira

How about Mass Effect? You've got a good story with a clear arc that would work for probably 6 seasons, with good characters and enough content and world building to expand as well. They don't want to just do another fantasy shoe because that would never get out GoT's shadow.
Mass Effect has a plot. I'm not so sure about good story

Horp

Step 1. Base it on a GOOD story. Dont focus at all on making sure it checks whatever list of boxes you have.

Step 2. Get a GOOD director. Dont focus on someone popular or someone checks whatever list of boxes you have.

Make it GOOD. Thats the key. Dont think "we need a show that does X in a Y kind of way". No one thought random adults that normally watch drama shows would suddenly go crazy of dragons and swords. Hint: it was because it was good.

Kalor

GoT took a while to grow into this huge thing so I wonder if they'd be committed to the shows if they don't immediately deliver.

tim.mbp

I'm actually interested in a bunch of their upcoming shows, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Jack Ryan, and Matthew Weiner's new show,

Top Bottom