• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon CEO demands a 'Game of Thrones' style hit

What large sweeping story is left and untouched? Maybe the Brandon Sanderson books, or Brian K Vaughan's Saga (that's my one hope). Throne of Glass' film rights have already been snatched, and Hollywood has already whiffed on Riordan. The Lies of Locke Lamora isn't long enough to sustain more than 2 seasons. Come to think of it, Netflix was smart to snatch up The Witcher, even if it was defensively.

shira

Step 1. Base it on a GOOD story. Dont focus at all on making sure it checks whatever list of boxes you have.

Step 2. Get a GOOD director. Dont focus on someone popular or someone checks whatever list of boxes you have.

Make it GOOD. Thats the key. Dont think "we need a show that does X in a Y kind of way". No one thought random adults that normally watch drama shows would suddenly go crazy of dragons and swords. Hint: it was because it was good.
Big shows have showrunners and a stable of directors. No one director can direct 50+ episodes

How is American Gods doing for them? I saw a lot of marketing but haven't really read anything about it. The book didn't especially strike me as something that'd be a surefire success TV show but it was probably 10 years ago when I read it.

Remember when people claimed grand tour was going to make bbc cry and regret everything?

throw half a billion dollars at some people and cant get a hit

Half a billion - seriously?! Have the ever talked about its performance? I don't ever see people talking about it, after the first few episodes.

Speaking of Neil Gaiman, I think the Sandman series would make an excellent TV show. Could get loads of seasons out of it too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Step 1. Base it on a GOOD story. Dont focus at all on making sure it checks whatever list of boxes you have.

Step 2. Get a GOOD director. Dont focus on someone popular or someone checks whatever list of boxes you have.

Make it GOOD. Thats the key. Dont think "we need a show that does X in a Y kind of way". No one thought random adults that normally watch drama shows would suddenly go crazy of dragons and swords. Hint: it was because it was good.
You don't think that's something that everyone making a show expires to do? You think some the writers and directors are thinking, "not gonna make this be good"?

Fat4all

Banned
Is all the Amazon steaming stuff available worldwide these days? They need some better communication about that.

i do believe they ship steamers worldwide

$_3.JPG

HariKari

Harry Potter tv series. The only thing that could come close.

Have to second this. There aren't many IPs at that scale, Harry Potter is doable. Although with more 'Beasts' movies being cranked out, you'd have to come up with a new, novel setting.

There are a plenty of epic best-selling sagas to adapt from.
I'm not that into fantasy but lies of Locke lamorra (gentlenen bastards) could work as a big budget series.

Savitar

Yeah, good luck with that.

Such a show doesn't happen easily, if it does chances are it'll be based on something that's already existed if not a retelling of a classic tale/character etc.

Maledict

I'm really not sure why people are convinced Beserk would be a sure fire hit. Has any anime / manga product ever translated over to large adult audiences in the west ever? Generally the fundamental basics of the genre and art form don't seem that palatable for western audiences, it would likely require a massive retooling from the ground up.

Have to second this. There aren't many IPs at that scale, Harry Potter is doable. Although with more 'Beasts' movies being cranked out, you'd have to come up with a new, novel setting.

Quidditch Through the Ages. Make it into something like Friday Night Lights, and you might have something.

Bluth54

How is American Gods doing for them? I saw a lot of marketing but haven't really read anything about it. The book didn't especially strike me as something that'd be a surefire success TV show but it was probably 10 years ago when I read it.

American Gods is only an Amazon show in international markets, in the US it's on Starz (a premium TV channel) show. It's not really a full Amazon show, it's probably either a joint production with Starz or they just bought the international rights.

According to the Wikipedia page the US ratings for the Starz airings are around 600k-700k an episode so it doesn't seem to be a huge Game of Thrones style hit but it did get renewed for a second season.

I'm really not sure why people are convinced Beserk would be a sure fire hit. Has any anime / manga product ever translated over to large adult audiences in the west ever? Generally the fundamental basics of the genre and art form don't seem that palatable for western audiences, it would likely require a massive retooling from the ground up.

Edge of Tomorrow, though that's technically a light novel and was more 'general premise' than adaptation of characters and the like.

Harry Potter TV show would do it, but that's probably too big for Amazon. That's why I think Rothfuss's The Kingkiller Chronicle would be a serious contender for a breakout hit. Gifted orphan teen goes to magical school and befriends talented people while developing cool powers before going off on adventures across the wider world? I think you could definitely entice some of the HP crowd with that.

neptunes

I agree with the Beserk suggestions.

Of course it would have to be a more palatable adaptation that the masses could swallow, but the source material is rich and has a lot to offer.

It has action, political intrigue, and tons of character development. Granted the first few arcs rely on absurd hero fantasies, but it could work.

Regginator

Yeah uh, good luck with that. Game of Thrones didn't exactly become this megahit right out of the gate. It took time to snowball.

It didn't though. The current success is unreal, but it was already very popular from the start. By the time season 1 ended, it was already one of the most watched and most loved shows.

Shredderi

This reminds me that I should cance my Prime subscription. Watched a few shows but nothing really impressed me and "the american gods" ended up being a dud for me so I dropped that so might as well cancel at this point.

Ninja Dom

GoT took a while to grow into this huge thing so I wonder if they'd be committed to the shows if they don't immediately deliver.

Yeah but it did start out as HBO's most expensive show. HBO we're gonna push GOT cos they knew they were sitting on gold.

Moonkid

I'd be hyped to see Berserk in live-action but 'the next Game of Thrones' is not what comes to mind. I think whatever fills the void will also feature an ensemble cast with different players you can root for.

It didn't though. The current success is unreal, but it was already very popular from the start. By the time season 1 ended, it was already one of the most watched and most loved shows.

As I said on the previous page, emphasis megahit. Amazon's CEO is not thinking 'I want a Game of Thrones season 1' style success, they want season 7, with all its cultural clout and sheer demand for eyeballs in the weeks it's coming out. That takes time.

I agree with the Beserk suggestions.

Of course it would have to be a more palatable adaptation that the masses could swallow, but the source material is rich and has a lot to offer.

It has action, political intrigue, and tons of character development. Granted the first few arcs rely on absurd hero fantasias, but it could work.
Starting with the way the movies did it would be best IMO
Couple episodes about Guts upbringing
Straight into Golden Age
Then to eclipse
Have shit escalate, dont just start batshit

eizarus

Banned
The Tales of the Three Brothers.
Season 1 ends with them getting the three items from Death. Season 2 ends with the Resurrection Stone dude going crazy and killing himself. Season 3 has focuses mostly on the Eldar Wand. And the final season can be about the last brother always staying one step ahead of Death.

FStubbs

Yeah, good luck with that.

Such a show doesn't happen easily, if it does chances are it'll be based on something that's already existed if not a retelling of a classic tale/character etc.

On top of that, part of it is luck.

It's better for Bezos to ask for a stable of good shows like HBO has and hope for one of them to take off.

neptunes

I'd be hyped to see Berserk in live-action but 'the next Game of Thrones' is not what comes to mind. I think whatever fills the void will also feature an ensemble cast with different players you can root for.
That's the thing I fear, the characters in Beserk aren't easily relatable and their intentions aren't easily defined.

I don't know how audiences would take to Griffith, or if they would tolerate Casca becoming a totally different Character halfway the series. Not saying it couldn't be done, just that it would require tons of work.

If GoT taught us anything is that audiences can enjoy shows that defy normal TV conventions.

Horp

You don't think that's something that everyone making a show expires to do? You think some the writers and directors are thinking, "not gonna make this be good"?
Yes I do. Well not like that but i think its very common for execs and their focus groups to focus on making sure a show ticks a number of boxes. Like "got-like? Ok we need dragons. And a blond queen! And a dwarf."

Focus only on making a good show.

Top Bottom