• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon CEO demands a 'Game of Thrones' style hit

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
The Lies of Locke Lamora (and later books) could work very well on TV methinks.

Red Rising trilogy has some show potential too, but I think movie adaptations are already underways?

Jeff Bezos should do a Shark Tank style show where he and several other execs hear pitches for TV shows and movies and either take them on or shoot them down.
That would actually be a successful show but not the kind of success the Bez is looking for so he'll have to says BezNO (that will be his catch phrase, after approval from Prime Member exclusive focus groups)

I think the only way for a Harry Potter TV show to work and be successful is to either retell the story of Harry (probably too soon) or to have a new story at the American school (Ilvermorny). I just don't see some Fantastic Beasts spinoff type thing being as successful, the magic school setting was a big draw for many people. WB owning the film rights might make it a little difficult, though; they would definitely want to get the TV rights before anyone else.

There's a good number of graphic novels and indie comics that could be a hit. I think they'll find success with one of those, if they're not doing an original TV show.
Y the Last Man could have been the next Lost years ago if anyone ever made it a TV show instead of struggling forever to fit it into a movie.
FX are developing a TV show adaptation with Michael Green as showrunner. It's coming along very slowly.

Dynomutt

When did this turn into Anime Wish List?

I think the advantage that Game of Thrones has is the dialogue and a strong foundation was already in place from the literature. In addition the source and writer is on board shepherding the series which is a bonus. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Game of Thrones put it work and built itself up into a fire breathing dragon!

If I may Anime port beg be brave Amazon and do a live action Spriggan. Enhanced late teen to mid twenty somethings each with a unique ability representing their respective countries espionage tactics with a little bit of metaphysics thrown in for good measure. Oh wait it's been done to death...

Already said but :

DMZ
Y the last man
Fables

Especially Fables since it has many characters like GoT.

I totally forgot Netflix was working on a Witcher series, I hope they don't fuck it up...

I have no idea why HBO didn't buy the Witcher series. For a company that owns GoT, it should have been obvious.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have no idea why HBO didn't buy the Witcher series. For a company that owns GoT, it should have been obvious.

Probably because why bother? They already got the most popular fantasy franchise, no need to spend more money on another of its kind. Especially if they're going to continue on prequels or sequels after the last season of the current series is over with and even that would be more popular than a brand new Witcher series.

Probably because why bother? They already got the most popular fantasy franchise, no need to spend more money on another of its kind. Especially if they're going to continue on prequels or sequels after the last season of the current series is over with and even that would be more popular than a brand new Witcher series.
Having the Witcher in one half of the year and GoT in the other half means people won't drop the sub once the GOT season is over. They could have completely dominated the fantasy epics genre.

I don't have as much in Netflix as I do in HBO to absolutely nail the Witcher series ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
LONE WOLF AND CUB is the first thing that jumps to mind.

Gaming has a plethora of untouched, adaptable content that is ripe for big budgeted earnest consideration.

Pila

I'm prime but I never watch Netflizon / Amaflix. Not too much stuff tbh, at least here in Italy.

I guess they do need a big hit.

a916

Harry Potter TV series would be a killer show....

If they could expand each book into 10 episodes. Give each book time to breath and 10 hours versus the 2.5 you normally get in a movie... oh my god this would be so good in the right hands.

It would be interesting to see someone try to do a multi-show Tom Clancy television universe. Events from one series could affect the geopolitics of other series. They could also do a big budget Wildlands joint and get some of that Narcos audience. (Plus the main character Nomad is a create-a-character, so they could do something fun with an ethnic female lead role etc.) Just avoid obvious US pandering like that new NBC show The Brave, which looks horrid.

CloudWolf

The Witcher would be way too samey to Game of Thrones for the general audience. Both are high fantasy showpieces with a big focus on political manoeuvring over action.

Don't let the games fool you, the show is gonna be based on the books and those are less about monster slaying and more about political tension and the roles Gerald and Ciri play within that political spectrum.

HardRojo

I'd have thought a 13 episodes (1 hour each) Death Note series would've been very popular, but Netflix decided to make it a less-than-2-hours-long film and we already know the results.

Top Bottom