• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon CEO demands a 'Game of Thrones' style hit

Who has The First Law rights? That is ripe for a Game of Thrones adaptation.

The dialogue is already perfect for TV if they get the right actors. The characters are charismatic and the show would be about them rather than about the plot. So it is perfect.

Unlike, say Berserk that is brought up all the time, but it gives little material to work with and one would have to rewrite it entirely to give it the right material to actors to perform unless you want to make it a show about two characters.

A Berserk TV adaption would not need to show large scale battles. Just focus on individual members of the Band of the Hawk during such events. Make it personal and intimate in contrast to the sweeping scale of GoT. Berserk is best when the politics are in the background.

I really just want to see the public reacting to the eclipse. Would be worth making just for that.

fake edit: Call it the Dark Souls of fantasy TV.
/s
What do you do after the Eclipse when all the crazy fantasy shit comes back in full force, large scale battles can be done as seen with GoT, but dire wolves AND dragons? That's too much breh. And that's nothing compared to all the stuff in post eclipse Berserk.

You don't even need a popular IP. Game of Thrones is big budget blockbuster. They could make their own medieval fantasy or even straight up medieval world where someone tries to conquer all the countries of Eurokita or whatever they wanna call it.

You just need blockbuster style CGI, decent writing, and 1000x humans to sacrifice to make it popular.

I really just want to see the public reacting to the eclipse. Would be worth making just for that.

here's one reaction:

i didn't know anything about berserk. i watched the movies on netflix

the 3rd one is one of the worst films i've ever seen. it basically turned a nice story about medieval politics / war / sieges / mercenaries into someone's dark fantasy acid trip

sangreal

I always wondered, how does HBO make money with game of thrones?

Is their streaming service a money maker? or is the business of being a Premium Channel on cable that good to justify a big production like GOT?

They do make money directly through selling distribution rights, Blu ray sets, etc. But that isn't their main business which is subscriptions, and yes it's that good. HBO has over 130M subscribers worldwide and they are only spending 1/3 of what Netflix and Amazon are on content. HBO Now is the future but it's not a big money maker for now

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
What makes you guys think some manga adaptation that most of the target audience has never heard of would become a GoT level contender?
I, along with many many others, didn't know what the flying fuck GoT was until the show was announced.

Let's not sit here and revise history by pretending like GoT was a cultural phenom before the show happened. Because it sure as shit wasn't.

Pooya

You can't manufacture cultural hits. You can never predict what will become that big, regardless of quality.

No one could have predicted something like Breaking Bad to become that huge. You never know.

Maddrical

Yorick: Michael Fassbender
Agent 355: Idris Elba
Ampersand: Danny DeVito
Dr Allison Mann: Emma Thompson

image.php

EDIT: Couldn't resist an avatar quote. Ghus & Friendo are like my favourite thing about Saga.

Why does everyone assume "the next Game of Thrones" has to be 1) a fantasy series, 2) an adaptation of source material or 3) "dark" or "violent"?

The success of GoT is because of a variety of factors that basically boil down to "good writing that creates surprising events that people want to talk about." Trying to copy some random element is exactly why we get so many terrible carbon copy movies and shows.

Why does everyone assume "the next Game of Thrones" has to be 1) a fantasy series, 2) an adaptation of source material or 3) "dark" or "violent"?

The success of GoT is because of a variety of factors that basically boil down to "good writing that creates surprising events that people want to talk about." Trying to copy some random element is exactly why we get so many terrible carbon copy movies and shows.

My thoughts exactly. Whatever the next big show is, it most likely won't be a fantasy series.

SMG

Too bad Netflix signed up Witcher. I think if done right, Witcher has a huge potential.

But GoT didn't become what it is until The Red Wedding. That became a water cooler talking point for years and finally people started tuning in. Red Wedding happened near the end of Season 3. "Wait, all the main heroes died???"

Witcher, Dune and other sprawling fiction does not have this element either.
Dune Messiah changes everything just as much as GoT

Stiler

All the idea's people are throwing out there, What about Robert E. Howard's stories?

Seriously, all the REH books on Conan and Kull, etc would make for a great tv series if it was done with a decent budget and crew behind it.

LaNaranja

Forget HBO and Netflix, they can't even match the quality that Hulu is putting out.

As long as we are all throwing out ideas, I think an adaptation of The Regulators/Desperation would be dope. So would Sandman for that matter but I think Warner is still pretending they are going to make a movie out of it one day so they may not want a TV show spoiling it. Or they could take more chances on unique original stories that are like nothing else out there.

Or they can do a live action Initial D.

APlhwHq.gif

ECC

While I agree with your general point there are decent reasons that they may very well consider adapting existing material. One very good reason is that it gives the series a core set of early ambassadors, if the series is done right. And if the series is not done right you won't get the GOT scale success anyway, ambassadors or not. This aside, adapting from existing material helps getting rid of some of the structural issues that Tv-series often end up having due to the poor (time wise) relationship between production timeline and script development.

cripterion

Not sure if people asking for Berserk are serious, a live action tv show would be plain awful.

They can't even get Death Note right, do you think they would do Berserk justice? lol
I'm sorry but anime from live action is always crappy, wether it's from Japan or USA.

massoluk

Banned
Not sure if people asking for Berserk are serious, a live action tv show would be plain awful.

They can't even get Death Note right, do you think they would do Berserk justice? lol
I'm sorry but anime from live action is always crappy, wether it's from Japan or USA.
Team Medical Dragon turned out alright

Egida

Neo Member
I don't think The Name of the Wind is too similar to GoT. Multiple points of View vs One sole unreliable narrator, the world is more "magic" and the Chandrian are a more interesting ancient menace than the ice dudes.

The one thing they have in common is an author who is never going to publish the next book.
Neveeer!

crimilde

Banned
Robin Hobb.

She's everything you need.

Seriously. I'd do anything for a TV adaptation of The Realm of the Elderlings.
Other excellent options:

Joe Abercrombie
Scott Lynch
Brandon Sanderson
Mark Lawrence

Any of those has potential to become the next big fantasy TV series hit.

Violet_0

Banned
As for Fables, Amazon has something fairly similar already in the works called 'Carnival Row':
Carnival Row is a fantasy-noir set in a neo-Victorian city. Mythical creatures fleeing their war-torn homeland have gathered in the city, and tensions are simmering between citizens and the growing immigrant population. The series follows the investigation of a string of unsolved murders that are eating away at whatever uneasy peace still exists.
Stars Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne.
alright, this is borderline shameless. You just know that whoever came up with that concept was really digging Fables

Jyrii

Banned
Oh god. I don't even want to think about how that would end up. Kudos to anybody who could make that into a coherent TV show.

Took me a good 3/4 of the way through the first book to even have a clue what was going on.

I would absolutely love to see Amazon burn a small fortune offspring this beautiful clusterfuck of a series but I can't image it'd make the jump to mainstream viewership.

It surely would be a task for sure, but not totally impossible one. Gardens of the Moon is a bit more straight forward than the rest, though you would need to build the world in that one. They would still need to combine stuff, so that one season wouldn't be just about Midnight Tides.

Also they could skin a lot of content. Like Redmask that took hell of a lot pages, but ultimately isn't essential. Also characters could be probably combined.

But even if they could make it more straight forward series, the viewers probably wouldn't be there.

Kuros

Seriously. I'd do anything for a TV adaptation of The Realm of the Elderlings.
Other excellent options:

Joe Abercrombie
Scott Lynch
Brandon Sanderson
Mark Lawrence

Any of those has potential to become the next big fantasy TV series hit.

Sanderson stuff has already been optioned. But i believe as films. His worlds are probably a little budget heavy for TV as they're never set in medieval europe.

Kuros

Few things are more epic than ending to the first Farseers Trilogy, I'm already salivating at the thought of it being live action

Its single narrator though and probably wouldn't work as a multiple character piece as so much of the plot relies on Fitz not bothering to tell anyone else anything about what is going on.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
haha. you can't force this kinda thing. i don't think we'll get anything close to game of thrones from anybody for a long while yet.

crimilde

Banned
Its single narrator though and probably wouldn't work as a multiple character piece as so much of the plot relies on Fitz not bothering to tell anyone else anything about what is going on.

Liveship Traders would work better imo. Lots of characters, multiple pov's, Dragons, dark and violent stuff. It's got it all really.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Jeff Bezos should do a Shark Tank style show where he and several other execs hear pitches for TV shows and movies and either take them on or shoot them down.

Galava

Is Amazon CEO some kind of Emperor from SW?

"bRing me game of thRoness, and togetha, we SHALL RRULE the interrnet"

It's not that easy to make a global phenomenon, but it's nice to dream and want things (a slong as that doesn't burn their employees"

here's one reaction:

i didn't know anything about berserk. i watched the movies on netflix

the 3rd one is one of the worst films i've ever seen. it basically turned a nice story about medieval politics / war / sieges / mercenaries into someone's dark fantasy acid trip
So Berserk becomes Berserk

Top Bottom