• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon CEO demands a 'Game of Thrones' style hit

inky

I remember people asking what the next Lost was going to be and how they wanted a Lost like hit.

Then it was GoT.

Before that you had shows like the Sopranos.

You can't just make something a hit by copying.

I think Dune, Hyperion or even a serialized version of His Dark Materials or Chronicles of Narnia would be fantastic. They're not as gruesome or adult but they all have potential.

Yeah, people don't usually turn out for the most transparent attempts at replicating hits. Another medieval fantasy thing probably won't be it.

Cosmozone

Can't help thinking of this guy:

scrooged0eo4l.jpg

And TheOctodad is right. If you want to land the next big hit, you can't go for the same genre as the last one or the mainstream will dismiss it as a ripoff no matter the quality.

Moodz

Already said but :

DMZ
Y the last man
Fables

Especially Fables since it has many characters like GoT.

I totally forgot Netflix was working on a Witcher series, I hope they don't fuck it up...

Has Amazon even created a good tv show or movie yet? Maybe they should start making a couple first.

I can think of tons of stuff Netflix (with tons in the pipeline) has done but Amazon...lol. I think of them as the place to watch some HBO shows like Curb.

The next IP that has potential GOT levels of popularity is the Witcher but Netflix already ahead.

Permanently A

Already said but :

DMZ
Y the last man
Fables

I totally forgot Netflix was working on a Witcher series, I hope they don't fuck it up...

Ooh fuck, Y The Last Man would be great.

I'm thinking a Monster or Tokyo Ghoul adaptation would be fucking good.

Geist-

Has Amazon even created a good tv show or movie yet? Maybe they should start making a couple first.

I can think of tons of stuff Netflix (with tons in the pipeline) has done but Amazon...lol. I think of them as the place to watch some HBO shows like Curb.

The next IP that has potential GOT levels of popularity is the Witcher but Netflix already ahead.
They have plenty of critically acclaimed original content.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Isn't that going to be animated though? Kinda kills the massive potential it could have (not the quality, just potential to be massive like GoT).

Turning to a major popular indie comic or Vertigo comic would be a smart move. Or video game franchise -- Halo being an obvious choice. Keep it about a separate group of Spartans so there's tons of creative leeway.

They have plenty of critically acclaimed original content.
Like?

Isn't that going to be animated though? Kinda kills the massive potential it could have (not the quality, just potential to be massive like GoT).

Turning to a major popular indie comic or Vertigo comic would be a smart move. Or video game franchise -- Halo being an obvious choice. Keep it about a separate group of Spartans so there's tons of creative leeway.
Wait it's supposed to be animated...noooooooo. I'm still going to watch it but that is so disappointing.

Newman96

Pretty sure it's going to be live-action, I hadn't seen anything suggesting it was animated.

Shrennin

Wait it's supposed to be animated...noooooooo. I'm still going to watch it but that is so disappointing.

I'm not 100% sure... but I'm pretty sure. And yeah. It's disappointing. :/m

Pretty sure it's going to be live-action, I hadn't seen anything suggesting it was animated.

Oh, really? Maybe I misread the announcement. I hope it is live action. That would make my day lol

A GITS: SAC live action series would have been awesome. An HBO level budget, especially considering what they're able to do with CG nowadays (why does GOT look better than The Hobbit movies?!) would be enough to do it justice.

Too bad they fucked up with the movie
And can't adapt anime for shit

:D

I just looked it up and couldn't see anything that concretely said it was one or the other.

I just learned the source material is the books instead of the games and I'm even more stoked for that.

Brannon

I'm gonna go in an unexpected direction and say The Deathworlders. Cheesy, internet-born sci-fi that just may work.

Shrennin

:D

I just looked it up and couldn't see anything that concretely said it was one or the other.

I just learned the source material is the books instead of the games and I'm even more stoked for that.

Yeah. Me too. Seems to be up in the air. Hope it's live action, and at least there's still hope!

http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-is-getting-a-netflix-series-1795289049

It would make sense to be based off the books too. It can still work with the games since the games work as CDPR's idea of what happens after the books anyway.

I remember people asking what the next Lost was going to be and how they wanted a Lost like hit.

Then it was GoT.

Before that you had shows like the Sopranos.

You can't just make something a hit by copying.

I think Dune, Hyperion or even a serialized version of His Dark Materials or Chronicles of Narnia would be fantastic. They're not as gruesome or adult but they all have potential.

DUNE, yes please.
I nees more of that

BBC are doing a His Dark Materials adaption

It's the BBC, so it will be brilliant but very low budget. Unless it's a co-production. Jeff, you interested?

Slight bijou problemette for His Dark Materials: America is full of god-botherers who would boycott it. Anybody who produces it or distributes it in the United States or similarly backward markets will have to take the loss of advertisers and sponsors being wary. That doesn't bother the BBC because it's got a huge captive home market and is required to take that market very seriously.

riotous

Banned
"we need a massive blockbuster hit"
neogaf: "WHAT ABOUT HANIME"

TadkV.gif

LOL, yeah having the same thought.. it's one thing to say you want some obscure anime or comic show.. but I've seen more than one "this anime is the only thing that could be big enough of a hit."

I think Hashmal meant that he looks like the sort of person who wants someone murdered when he's asking for a hit, not a successful show :p

Yeah. I'm a pink fluffy kittens type of guy, so I just didn't see that. He does look vaguely American, now you mention it.

mm04

I was hoping that Rowling would make a series of the 4 founders of Hogwarts and how they came together to make the school, but hell, make a damn TV series out of it.

Goalus

[Feist's Riftwar]

Could also work. Again not the deepest story story, but very entertaining. Mystery, some poltical plays and lots of fast character development.

I would love to see this happening with a huge budget and skillful direction. I have fond memories of these books.

DrSlek

Already said but :

DMZ
Y the last man
Fables

I think Fables would be considered too similar to Once Upon a Time. But The Unwritten has a lot of intersection with Fables, and is also a fantastic series....and highly underrated.

Also Planetary, Transmetropolitan....and The Accursed Kings series. If you want a hit show similar to GoT, you can't really go wrong with the book series that was one of the major inspirations for GoT.

Randdalf

It's the BBC, so it will be brilliant but very low budget. Unless it's a co-production. Jeff, you interested?

Slight bijou problemette for His Dark Materials: America is full of god-botherers who would boycott it. Anybody who produces it or distributes it in the United States or similarly backward markets will have to take the loss of advertisers and sponsors being wary. That doesn't bother the BBC because it's got a huge captive home market and is required to take that market very seriously.

From what I've read I get the impression it's higher budget than usual BBC stuff. The author has described it as a "very big project"

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dark Tower would have been good bedrock for a megahit TV series if handled well. Then Sony grabbed it and... did what they do to things.

I feel like Southern Bastards would make for a really excellent show, don't know how much 'breakout hit' potential it really has, though.

hoos30

Emphasis megahit in this instance. Like, it did very well, especially for HBO's subscription service, but it has built up each season and subsequent hype. Here's a chart shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia to visualise such:

oFeffkh.png

Naturally, pirating has gone up exponentially over time as well. You will not see 'Game of Thrones' as it stands today in season 1 of whatever its next equivalent in popularity is.

Season 5 LOL

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I haven't seen Bezos speak before. I wasn't aware that he was mentally handicapped.

Speaking of other properties that could be a GoT style show, I really think Final Fantasy XIV would be amazing.

It's got a big world with tons of great lore, political intrigue out the ass, the "main" races are all just different flavors of human (though the beastmen would be hard on tv budget) and it already has a treasure trove of Primals and other bosses to serve as end of season blockbuster episodes.

The amount of shit that's snuck into it as T-rated game is already pretty crazy, so it could easily be a big TV MA show. There's plenty of history in it too, so no reason to straight adapt the game. It would just be GoT but with the fantasy elements being way more flashy and in your face

Bo-Locks

The Harry Potter world with the different characters, schools and eras is a blank canvas waiting to be exploited written.

mrjohill

Speaking of other properties that could be a GoT style show, I really think Final Fantasy XIV would be amazing.

It's got a big world with tons of great lore, political intrigue out the ass, the "main" races are all just different flavors of human (though the beastmen would be hard on tv budget) and it already has a treasure trove of Primals and other bosses to serve as end of season blockbuster episodes.

The amount of shit that's snuck into it as T-rated game is already pretty crazy, so it could easily be a big TV MA show. There's plenty of history in it too, so no reason to straight adapt the game. It would just be GoT but with the fantasy elements being way more flashy and in your face

I would suggest tactics first tho

Briarios

My suggestion is for Dragonriders of Pern -- action, violence, sex, political machinations, different factions ... it would work.

Bleepey

Fables. Jesus there's like 7 seasons of show completed that are completed
Y: The Last Man See the above. Plus the social commentary you can do with these shows is ridiculous.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What makes you guys think some manga adaptation that most of the target audience has never heard of would become a GoT level contender?

I mean, GoT didn't get where it's at because the books were some widely known and beloved series.

riotous

Banned
I mean, GoT didn't get where it's at because the books were some widely known and beloved series.

Agreed; but it's a genre that has had success on and off for decades in the US. So you combine the fact Berzerke obscure to most people.. with what? I'm honestly asking, what is it about Berserker story that it's gotten more than a few "the only option" comments here. I've literally never heard of it.

Top Bottom