• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon launches Luna game streaming service ...

Dr Bass

I play with Stadia and the majority of the time I forget I'm streaming. That's how good this is. There's a reason the Big three (MS, Google, Amazon) has gone this route.

You don't notice any input lag? You could play something like street fighter competitively? I personally notice the slightest lag on input (within reason of course!) and it drives me nuts when it's there.

wolffy71

Banned
I'm not so sure about this. All this shows is that literally nothing matters except game developers and games. The hardware doesn't matter, the ecosystem doesn't matter, nothing but games. Literally anyone can start a streaming service, I can start one up on AWS tomorrow. Going to streaming means the only thing anyone competes on is the number of games available on the service, just like video streaming services. In that respect, Sony will always still be competitive, because there is nothing stopping them from putting everything on PSNow if they had to.
You're missing a tiny bit of infrastructure for streaming all those. Unless you plan to pay amazon or MS for that. If thats the case i hope you have some idea of how to stay competitive price wise.

Whoever is in charge of Stadia will no longer have the built-in "world isn't ready for streaming" excuse anymore if this gains any sort of traction.

Cool. I don't mind streaming.

89c.gif

Last edited:

Self

Amazon is pretty big so I thought they could have made it a lot nastier for MS.

7,5 billion isn't nasty for you? That's a pretty fucked up price for a company like Bethesda, don't you think? No way Amazon was not involved in this.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
The problem is that Sony eventually becomes a boutique publisher, effectively pushed out of the market by the streaming giants, and reliant on their own IPs only, as with Nintendo. Only they don’t have the same mass market appeal as Mario, Animal Crossing, etc, nor do they operate on the same profit margins (cheap/ affordable).

Sony need to heavily invest in PSNow next gen, or they’ll get left behind.
That all depends on the quality of the streaming service. If the console is always the best performance and most convenient option, then consoles will be fine. The problem would arise if someone had all their bases covered as far as console and streaming and were dominant in both. Then just skipping sony or Nintendo might make more sense for millions.

MiguelItUp

Cheap subscriptions = cheap games full of gaas

Sony please save us from these evil mutha fuckas at MS, Amazon, Google
Sony is a company, just like the others. If they were to "do something" it wouldn't be much different than what currently exists. I mean they did Playstation Now already, what else could come?

This is one of those situations where I feel like "the more the merrier" wouldn't really work. I'd much rather just have the big three have their own takes, and be done with it.

Stuart360

I think this is why PC gaming is where to be, in the future at least. The PC hardware market is billions a year, and obviously the likes of Intel, AMD, and Nvidia wont be pushing for streaming only on PC. And seeing how PC users talk about streaming, it just wont be acceptable on a platform where people care just as much about the hardware as they do the software, more so with some users.

aries_71

Well... Luna, Stadia, GeForce Now, XCloud, PsNow. It’s pretty clear that this is the future. We are probably on the last physical hardware console generation.

iconmaster

Banned
I sometimes notice too much lag if I'm sitting in such a way that my Joy-cons don't have a clear line of transmission to the Switch. I can't imagine what it's like to play on these services plus a wireless controller. Might as well send your inputs on a postcard.

Going the same path as Stadia?

MS has inherent advantage vs Google and Amazon in that it understands local processing is best. Streaming is cool and all and these tech companies will make a beeline to it cause "so cool".

However their customers are not thrilled about it. They all will learn the hard way.

7,5 billion isn't nasty for you? That's a pretty fucked up price for a company like Bethesda, don't you think? No way Amazon was not involved in this.

I don't think so. Companies like Square Enix or Capcom have a market cap of around 7-8 billion and I'd say Zenimax was at least on the same level as they were. Skyrim sold 30 million copies. Fallout 4 sold more than that according to Bethesda. Those are pretty huge franchises. If MS handles Starfield and ES6 well, they could make a nice return of investment this generation.

Now I'm even more confident those Bethesda titles will be Microsoft ecosystem exclusive.

This is a good point

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Oh this actually pretty great

What are the device requirements to play on Luna?
You can use the Luna app on:
  • PC (requires Windows 10 with support for DirectX 11)
  • Mac (OSX 10.13+)
  • FireTV devices (Fire TV Stick - 2nd gen, Fire TV Stick 4K, or Fire TV Cube - 2nd gen)
Plus you can use a DualShock 4, Luna, or Xbox controller.

I'll bite when it comes to Canada. Give it a go.

Can't wait for everyone else to start one of these with their own exclusives. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethe.... Would ya look at that, Bill Gates playing 72D Banjo Kazooie again.

Stuart360

You are probably right. And this is why MS said that they don’t see Sony as competitors. The big boys here are Amazon and Google.
Just because i find it frustrating how much this is missquoted. If you read the whole interview (i think there is a video as well), Phil was clearly talking about Xcloud when he said that, not console gaming.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Potential ramifications?

Interface:

msedge_ppa8g4ddoe.jpg

Controller:

msedge_r3ufclrsdh.jpg

How it works:

Games:

My concern is we are going down a road where cheap and quick is the road games will go down to make stuff like this economically viable. And not to mention the whole latency thing ...

Their interface looks a flat-design fever dream, bring back skeuomorphic! We have the PPI/screen size to make it look amazing now.

I miss my tiny little machine icons...

Forsythia

I fucking told you so....

I FUCKING CALLED IT LITERALLY 2 DAYS AGO.

And so it begins....

Sony isnt Microsoft's main competitor anymore

When Game Pass launched many people already new that MS was in competition with Google and Amazon, and not Sony. Your epiphany is nothing new.

You're missing a tiny bit of infrastructure for streaming all those. Unless you plan to pay amazon or MS for that. If thats the case i hope you have some idea of how to stay competitive price wise.
I think the infrastructure part is pretty minor. Sony is managing to do it now just fine, and that includes them literally having to build custom PS3's as part of the server farm. Not only could they still be price competitive using either of those services (as they are now), its not like they are the only two that exist. I mean, Amazon and Microsoft both have tons of competing companies using their cloud services, and ones way bigger than gaming, so it isn't some sort of unique situation.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'll give it a try on IOS, streaming is going to be the huge at some point

I sometimes notice too much lag if I'm sitting in such a way that my Joy-cons don't have a clear line of transmission to the Switch. I can't imagine what it's like to play on these services plus a wireless controller. Might as well send your inputs on a postcard.

You don't need a wireless controller, Razer Kishi works great with gfn and xcloud. I doubt it will have issues with Luna.
Razer-Kishi-Stardew-Valley.jpg

DESTROYA

I don't get people's obsession with "owning" games (protip: you don't own them) but they always have to raise a stink about these services as if they can't just buy the games anywhere. It is baffling.
??? What!
What’s wrong with “owning” a game ? Most people would prefer this over “leasing“ something. Pay to not own sounds counter intuitive.
How don’t you not own a game if you can buy a physical copy and use it ?
You can use it ?
You can trade it ?
You can give it away ?
How is it not yours ?
You can swap it for other games with your friends ?
I don’t get going only digital or subscription based services which you loose the ability to fo all of the above.
Just 2 different philosophies.
Do you not want to own a house or car ? Same concept.

aries_71

Just because i find it frustrating how much this is missquoted. If you read the whole interview (i think there is a video as well), Phil was clearly talking about Xcloud when he said that, not console gaming.
XCloud and cloud gaming will be the future of console gaming, so it’s basically the same. It’s a matter of a few years.

Top Bottom