• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon launches Luna game streaming service ...

??? What!
What’s wrong with “owning” a game ? Most people would prefer this over “leasing“ something. Pay to not own sounds counter intuitive.
How don’t you not own a game if you can buy a physical copy and use it ?
You can use it ?
You can trade it ?
You can give it away ?
How is it not yours ?
You can swap it for other games with your friends ?
I don’t get going only digital or subscription based services which you loose the ability to fo all of the above.
Just 2 different philosophies.
Do you not want to own a house or car ? Same concept.

I never trade games or give them away or whatever. It is just irrelevant to me. But that's just me.

They can easily win, don't they have more cash in hand than Microsoft, Apple, and Google?

No. All three have more on hand. Can't find a lot about Amazon but they all put them at 71B vs MS 136B.
They were interested in Zenimax but MS beat them to the punch.

The Zenimax board consists mostly of cutthroat lawyers, MS must have definitely outbid Amazon. Don't see why they couldn't do it again with take two but it depends on how serious they are about gaming.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
I think the infrastructure part is pretty minor. Sony is managing to do it now just fine, and that includes them literally having to build custom PS3's as part of the server farm. Not only could they still be price competitive using either of those services (as they are now), its not like they are the only two that exist. I mean, Amazon and Microsoft both have tons of competing companies using their cloud services, and ones way bigger than gaming, so it isn't some sort of unique situation.
So a streaming service is gonna use a competitors service and still be competitive against that very company? Its not impossible but ur already behind in the game by that point, significantly.

Xbox game streaming runs on actual xboxs in big data centers. Even that level of infrastructure takes time.

ZywyPL

Banned
Finally a streaming service with the original OnLive business model! Now let's how it will hold on on the technical side of things.

tronied

You should all know that when they say they've "partnered" with Ubisoft, you won't actually get those games free and included for that price. If you look here, you'll see that the Ubisoft content is listed as a separate "channel". If any of you have ever used Amazon Video, you know that channels come with extra costs per month. As such, yeah you'll pay this introductory price of $5.99 for 100 games which is not bad (not sure if that will go up). However, to play Ubisoft, EA, Activision or whoever else signs up to put their games on it, you'll likely be paying an addition $4-6 on top for each publisher per month. I imagine that quickly ramps up the price compared with something like GamePass. I could be wrong but based on their website, this looks to be the model they're targetting.

wolffy71

Banned
Why would anyone sub to this over gamepass? I think that is a pretty clear indication that Amazon is gonna buy some stuff real quick.

M16

You should all know that when they say they've "partnered" with Ubisoft, you won't actually get those games free and included for that price. If you look here, you'll see that the Ubisoft content is listed as a separate "channel". If any of you have ever used Amazon Video, you know that channels come with extra costs per month. As such, yeah you'll pay this introductory price of $5.99 for 100 games which is not bad (not sure if that will go up). However, to play Ubisoft, EA, Activision or whoever else signs up to put their games on it, you'll likely be paying an addition $4-6 on top for each publisher per month. I imagine that quickly ramps up the price compared with something like GamePass. I could be wrong but based on their website, this looks to be the model they're targetting.
yea its basically subscribing to uplay+, or ea play but streaming

Greeno

No. All three have more on hand. Can't find a lot about Amazon but they all put them at 71B vs MS 136B.
They were interested in Zenimax but MS beat them to the punch.

The Zenimax board consists mostly of cutthroat lawyers, MS must have definitely outbid Amazon. Don't see why they couldn't do it again with take two but it depends on how serious they are about gaming.

Well, well... seems like Microsoft is ready for this "cloud war" thing.

So a streaming service is gonna use a competitors service and still be competitive against that very company? Its not impossible but ur already behind in the game by that point, significantly.

Xbox game streaming runs on actual xboxs in big data centers. Even that level of infrastructure takes time.
I just don't think the servers are the hard part. The hard part is the games. Sony will always have the games in their back pocket. They become the biggest streaming entity the day they click a few boxes and every single Sony owned Playstation game shows up on Now. It is just way more profitable for them right now not to.

How so? I put down $6 for access to 100+ games...what have I lost exactly?

Keep in mind this is early access. 6$ is the basic package. You will have to sub to other channels (like Ubisoft) and we don't know the prices yet.

So this service right now is 6$ at the bare minimum without any support from the big third parties. They will want their cut.

Agent X

So this sounds like The opposite in the stadia model in that you cant purchase games, you simply subscribe to the library?

Yes, it's more like PlayStation Now or Xbox Game Pass in that regard.

What Stadia should of done from the start, then maybe it would of had a chance.

I agree.

It seems like Google has begun to correct course, and is slowly building up Stadia Pro to have a larger collection of games available to all subscribers (In recent months, they have added 4-6 games each month, and have removed less or none with each passing month). However, they are going to have a tough road ahead of them if Amazon comes barreling out of the starting gate with a larger initial library and a lower monthly subscription price.

The fact that this is going to be available on Fire TV is also a big plus. I just hope it will let me use one of my existing DualShock 4 controllers to play.

CitizenX

Banned
I probably predicted this 6-7 yrs ago and said they could be a threat to MS, all THEY have to do is roll a streaming service and make it part of Prime. Why would they not just do that????????

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sounds vastly superior to me, but only if the performance is good. Prime Video has so much worse streaming performance than Netflix, despite Amazon owning AWS.

How? So far you can't even buy games through this service.

evanft

I could see Amazon doing this really well. They're already a leader in cloud services with AWS so this is simply an extension of that.

MS really needs to add Xcloud support to GP on PC and Xbox ASAP.

NullZ3r0

Banned
You don't notice any input lag? You could play something like street fighter competitively? I personally notice the slightest lag on input (within reason of course!) and it drives me nuts when it's there.
The closest thing Stadia has is Samurai Showdown. I played it early on and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. However, I'm not a huge fighter fan and I'm pretty sure you would probably notice a difference. Same is true with twitch shooters like Doom Eternal.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The Xbox brand has a lot more in common with the Playstation brand, than it does with Amazon Luna or Google Stadia.

Series X/S, Game Pass, xCloud, Android and PC unlike all the others Xbox has all facets except iOS covered.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I could see Amazon doing this really well. They're already a leader in cloud services with AWS so this is simply an extension of that.

MS really needs to add Xcloud support to GP on PC and Xbox ASAP.

Isn't Xcloud part of Gamepass on Xbox and PC already? So what are you saying?

Sony better up there streaming game, could be the ps5 be the last Sony console?

Why are you people like this?

Series X/S, Game Pass, xCloud, Android and PC unlike all the others Xbox has all facets except iOS covered.

Which again, is closer to Playstation than Amazon and Google. Playstation has all those bases covered too, except Android.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Yeah that controller is a dead-ass Nintendo Pro. They're not even subtle about it.

Not sure how to feel about the service -- I guess if anyone is going to spank Google in the nebulous cloud-gaming market space, it'll be Amazon.

DESTROYA

I never trade games or give them away or whatever. It is just irrelevant to me. But that's just me.
That’s just you, people like to have that option to get more games that they wouldn’t be able to try or get.
Can you explain how you don’t own a physical copy of a game ?

That’s just you, people like to have that option to get more games that they wouldn’t be able to try or get.
Can you explain how you don’t own a physical copy of a game ?

It just seems pointless. I mean I used to have them when it was necessary. But it isn't necessary anymore. I'm not attached to games like Gollum to a ring. I just play them where they're available. It's a video game, it isn't going to be improved upon unless it is released digitally and can be patched and updated. I have no preference for physical media at all.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Isn't Xcloud part of Gamepass on Xbox and PC already? So what are you saying?

Why are you people like this?

Which again, is closer to Playstation than Amazon and Google. Playstation has all those bases covered too, except Android.

??

Maybe next gen is all streaming and no consoles. Everyone get ready for the Streaming wars!

Oberstein

giphy.gif

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Google, Amazon and MS gearing up for the next big competition. Lets see who can do it the best.

Damn, day and date Ubisoft releases? That is way more competitive than Stadia.

I wonder why they didn't buy Zenimax. They certainly could have made it way uglier for MS than 7.5B if they turned it into a bidding war.
Microsoft has a 20 Year business relationship with Bethesda. That's why Microsoft got the exclusive offer to buy Bethesda (ZeniMax Media).

Last edited:

DESTROYA

It just seems pointless. I mean I used to have them when it was necessary. But it isn't necessary anymore. I'm not attached to games like Gollum to a ring. I just play them where they're available. It's a video game, it isn't going to be improved upon unless it is released digitally and can be patched and updated. I have no preference for physical media at all.
Shouldn’t really say that you don’t really own a game when you clearly can.
Definitely not pointless to the majority of console gamers , and your missing the point of owning a physical copy, most owners unless they are collectors don’t give a shit about having a particular game they want the ability to potentially swap, trade or sell the copy they bought and recoup some of the cost to buy more games.
Maybe you personally don’t care but many do.

Top Bottom