• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime Day | Celebrating 20 years of 100% claimed children's toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Oh my. I've been a Prime member since last year and seeing this thread just now is the first I'm hearing of this lol. Guess I haven't been paying attention.

Hoping for some blu-ray deals. And I wonder if they'll discount their own hardware. Wouldn't mind picking up a Kindle paperwhite on sale.

Tomita

That is a good deal. If you switch to ordering most of your goods to on-line it will pay for itself in a few months. There's also the streaming content and "free" eBooks. I paid something like $70 for mine and it paid for itself in a month (granted I bought a couch with Prime shipping, which saved me a good $20 right there).

what's up with the "free" ebook thing? My family got a trial on Prime this month and I have yet to figure out the ebook shit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
what's up with the "free" ebook thing? My family got a trial on Prime this month and I have yet to figure out the ebook shit.
You need to own a Kindle AND have Prime, and you can only borrow the books by accessing the store on the Kindle itself.

-griffy-

Banned

Prime has a large selection (800,000+) of Kindle books available free as part of the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. You can "borrow" one free book per month. Separate from that, there's also Kindle First books every month. Each month four new books are available to Prime members before their wide release dates, and you can pick one to own for free.

As with all the Prime benefits outside of free 2-day shipping, I believe only the main Prime account holder gets access to the free Kindle library/Kindle First books.

TMC

I would take the Roku 3, it plays the most formats and ultimately that's what matters. FireTV has been great, but I'm starting to build my video collection using Vudu instead of Amazon Instant Video. There's no Vudu app on the FireTV so I have to use my chromecast for Vudu movies. If Amazon Instant Videos joined up with Ultraviolet for their movie locker then I wouldn't care for Vudu any more. (I've been buying Ultraviolet codes online for much cheaper than retail cost).

AppleTV is great if you're in Apple's eco system, but I'd rather be platform agnostic so I can switch freely between iPhone and Android.

Can't you just sideload the Android Vudu app onto the FireTV?

http://sideloadfiretv.com/

TMC

Never tried it and don't feel too bothered since I can use chromecast. Even if you can get the Android app on there, I just can't see the interface working great. The Android app is made for a touchscreen where as the FireTV uses a remote.

Yeah, just thought I would offer that advice to those who only have a FireTV or /Fire Stick

I tried it and didn't like the performance. I guess you can get one to play around with. IIRC Kodi and Plex are official apps now, so you don't even need to sideload them.

Ah, bummer.

scamander

Banned
I've just talked with Amazon (Canada). Deals won't work for trial accounts.

And by the way, Amazon Customer service is the GOAT. I'm even thinking about making a thread about it. Just got a refund of my prime membership after using it for a year lmao. Wtf amazon. I wasn't expecting a refund, I didn't even ask for it. I told the dude I didn't feel like I had used Prime enough times to justify what I paid for it and asked him if I could get another month of free trial or something now that my membership is over so that I can get access to the deals on the 15th. And the dude is like " OK I see you're not satistfied with the service so I've just refund you the 90$ (79$+tx) ". Wait what ??? Okay ... Hmmm really ? " Yes. ". Okay ... Have a good day then.

Wtf Amazon ? Don't you want to make money ?

Amazon Canada has really great customer service. They have upgraded every single order from me to the most expensive express delivery service by themselves. I live in Germany, so not exactly around the corner. When I first ordered something from them in the evening, I received it the next morning at 9 am. I still don't know how they pulled that off, lol.
The service of amazon.de decreased unfortunately the last few years. I'm a customer since 2003 and up until one or two years ago, I received every order the next day (Germany is a small country, lol). Now they wait between 2 to 4 days to send your stuff, if you are no prime member. They basically decreased their non-prime service, just to justify the existence of prime. And the funny part is, that we have prime since 2007 and back then when there was no amazon instant video or free kindle books, they didn't feel the need to do it. And it's not, because they have so much to do. For the longest time we only had two warehouses and everything worked just fine. Now we have 9 or 10 and they play snail mail for non-prime customers. -.-

Mimosa97

Amazon Canada has really great customer service. They have upgraded every single order from me to the most expensive express delivery service by themselves. I live in Germany, so not exactly around the corner. When I first ordered something from them in the evening, I received it the next morning at 9 am. I still don't know how they pulled that off, lol.
The service of amazon.de decreased unfortunately the last few years. I'm a customer since 2003 and up until one or two years ago, I received every order the next day (Germany is a small country, lol). Now they wait between 2 to 4 days to send your stuff, if you are no prime member. They basically decreased their non-prime service, just to justify the existence of prime. And the funny part is, that we have prime since 2007 and back then when there was no amazon instant video or free kindle books, they didn't feel the need to do it. And it's not, because they have so much to do. For the longest time we only had two warehouses and everything worked just fine. Now we have 9 or 10 and they play snail mail for non-prime customers. -.-

Wait What ??? Lmfao. I live in downtown Montreal and that would never happen even if I paid for the most expensive delivery option lol

You get instant video and free kindle books in Germany ? We have nothing of the sort here. For 79$/year you only get 2-days delivery service and that's about it :(

Btw your stuff goes through customs without any trouble when you order from Canada ?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I tried it and didn't like the performance. I guess you can get one to play around with. IIRC Kodi and Plex are official apps now, so you don't even need to sideload them.

Kodi was removed from Amazon about a month ago. Kodi is on google play now, so whatever.

Rookje

I now feel like not ordering anything on Amazon in fear that it will be discounted during this event. Ugh.

rhino4evr

So back on the streaming devices convo. According to their website .Apple TV doesn't support Amazon Prime (lol) so that's a fail. Roku is the only true streaming device .

rhino4evr

I hope vinyl records go on sale but i kind of doubt it.

They had a buy 2 get 1 free vinyl record sale a few weeks ago. It was supposed to go on for a full weekend, but it was so popular that they had to close it down within 12 hours. I was able to snag 3 vinyl, 1 I received next day, 1 , I received yesterday. And I still Haven't received my 3rd vinyl. Keep in mind these were all Prime shipping. They must have really sold out quick.

Tomita

You need to own a Kindle AND have Prime, and you can only borrow the books by accessing the store on the Kindle itself.

Ah, that's my problem. No Kindle. A shame too, cause there was one book that seemed interesting but I can't get it from my library to see if it's any good / worth the money. Ah well.

scamander

Banned
Wait What ??? Lmfao. I live in downtown Montreal and that would never happen even if I paid for the most expensive delivery option lol

Yeah, it's really strange. It happened a few times, that I ordered stuff from amazon.de and .ca at the same time and the stuff from Canada arrived first. Three days was the maximum I had to wait for their packages to arrive.

You get instant video and free kindle books in Germany ?

You can "borrow" one book a month from the kindle library for free and watch some stuff from amazon instant video for free- not everything, though.

We have nothing of the sort here. For 79$/year you only get 2-days delivery service and that's about it :(

That's pretty expensive just for that. How long do you have to wait for your stuff without Prime? I'm not sure about the normal price here, but amazon student members only pay 24€ a year. Amazon don't have to pay extra for fast delivery here, though. They only send your orders faster, if you are a prime member. Normal delivery only takes one day, anyway.

Btw your stuff goes through customs without any trouble when you order from Canada ?

If I order from amazon, yes. Due to them upgrading my order to express delivery, customs work fast to not slow down the delivery. They will quickly check the value, calculate the VAT and send it immediately via DHL Express to me. The DHL guy will then collect the VAT from me- thankfully without additional fees.
Amazon.com on the other hand takes its time. :p

Can someone point me towards the best thread to ask this in if this isn't it?

I was going to wait around 4 years to jump into the world of PC gaming and build a nice gaming rig but was wandering if doing it now would be wise with the Amazon sale going on. Are there going to be any sales on PC parts and if so is there a list of the things I should watch out for? Don't really know what I'm doing. I was going to do tons of research myself... over the course of 4 years lol but this sale came out of nowhere.

Can someone point me towards the best thread to ask this in if this isn't it?

I was going to wait around 4 years to jump into the world of PC gaming and build a nice gaming rig but was wandering if doing it now would be wise with the Amazon sale going on. Are there going to be any sales on PC parts and if so is there a list of the things I should watch out for? Don't really know what I'm doing. I was going to do tons of research myself... over the course of 4 years lol but this sale came out of nowhere.
this how I got started
start asking questions here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944920
for deals
http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9&daysprune=1&icon=23&order=desc&pp=80&sort=lastpost
when I'm putting parts together and price
https://pcpartpicker.com/

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pretty sure that's not going to apply here.

It usually does apply but you have to contact them during the sale and while it's in stock.

And considering we don't know what will be on sale, we might as well wait and order while things are available.

Oscar

Yeah I've been holding off on some impulse purchases to see what this is all about.

Looking for:

- Video Cards
- Camelbak H.A.W.G
- Spyderco/Benchmade Knives
- Criterion Collection Blu Rays.
- ASICS Running Shoes.

I was planning on getting back into console gaming for Halo 5's release and this sale pops up haha.

Hoping for discounts on
Xbox one
monitor
computer chair
turtle beaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom