• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime no longer offered to Amiibo and limiteds?

RedBoot

Amazon's policy of only giving the discount 2 weeks from release and not working on sale items was already bullshit. This is even more bullshit. GCU was already way better and now it's better in every single way.

Yup. I was actually shopping around for Tales of Berseria a few weeks ago and noticed it had dropped to $30 on Amazon. Then I realized they did that to match Best Buy's price, so I just bought it at BB since I got the GCU on top of the sale.

So Amazon basically advertised another store for me. Now when Amazon puts stuff on sale, I check to make sure they aren't matching BB. :p

Lee

Nope! You can buy it online but it takes a little longer to activate. Like a day or two compared to instant if you buy in store.

I bought my GCU membership online in the same order as BoTW SE and it took off the $20 bucks on that immediately.

No. You are thinking of the limited edition.

Right. LE ($99) was GameStop exclusive, CE ($250) is sold out on GameStop and BestBuy but never went up on Amazon. Waiting for E3 I guess? Or for this new policy...

LycanXIII

4. Offer only applies to products in pre-order as listed on the product detail page.

Wait, does this mean no more 2 weeks, just preorders?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
4. Offer only applies to products in pre-order as listed on the product detail page.

Wait, does this mean no more 2 weeks, just preorders?

They don't specifically say, but the ad is still on games as "new releases and pre-orders". SF Switch still gives a discount when I tested it.

Lgndryhr

GCU is the better product for discounts on games. Highly suggest opening a GCU account. Love mine and pays for itself very quickly.

Sealtest

We had a small chance of GCU coming to Canada. And now with these restrictions I bet that chance just got smaller.

I bought my GCU membership online in the same order as BoTW SE and it took off the $20 bucks on that immediately.
That's true. You can get the discount immediately if the membership is I the same cart but otherwise you need to wait for activation to get the savings.

Wait whoa what?

So now I can't even get regular collector's editions on discount, just regular versions?

If true, GCU really needs to hurry up and come to Canada.

_woLf

Anyone thinking that this won't be the first thing on the cutting room floor for GCU now that they don't need to keep it to compete with Amazon is delusional.

They've been making cuts to GCU for awhile now. :(

GCU is amazing. I got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for literally $30 with that and store certificates built up due to buying games with GCU. Dat ecosystem.

bumpkin

Bummer... I have been waiting for them to have preorders for the MvCI Collectors Edition too. Oh well.

Souzetsu

I was having issues with getting the Prime Discount when I preordered the BotW Zelda amiibo. This, along with a bunch of other mishaps with Amazon, makes me value my GCU membership that much more.

Anyone thinking that this won't be the first thing on the cutting room floor for GCU now that they don't need to keep it to compete with Amazon is delusional.

Hopefully this is something they decide to keep to really hit home that competitive advantage.

The only reason I still don't use GCU is that Best Buy still requires an authorization charge for anything. At least Amazon didn't so I could preorder things and pay for them when it was about to release. I can't even preorder at Best Buy if I don't have the amount required.

But these new rules that Amazon are putting are terrible.

213372bu

Banned
Best Buy is always trash, don't understand the love for it or GCU. Amazon tends to already discount their games really often and the Prime discount + free same shipping really makes it a no brainer, especially since Prime is basically paid off for with my regular non-gaming purchases.

That said I only get like one CE a generation.

Zutrax

Does Best Buy's GCU offer release day deliver? Because that's one of the biggest factors for me is being able to get games on release day without leaving my home.

OmegaFax

Does Best Buy's GCU offer release day deliver? Because that's one of the biggest factors for me is being able to get games on release day without leaving my home.

Yes. I ordered Mario Kart 8 Deluxe about a week before release and got it on the day w/ free shipping. They used UPS or FedEx overnight.

Edit: I don't think it's even a GCU benefit. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Best Buy is always trash, don't understand the love for it or GCU. Amazon tends to already discount their games really often and the Prime discount + free same shipping really makes it a no brainer, especially since Prime is basically paid off for with my regular non-gaming purchases.

Looks like someone hasn't been screwed by Amazon yet. Not all of us get their "same-day" deliveries since stuff gets delayed from them more often now.

Best Buy apparently sends things EARLY.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The only reason I still don't use GCU is that Best Buy still requires an authorization charge for anything. At least Amazon didn't so I could preorder things and pay for them when it was about to release. I can't even preorder at Best Buy if I don't have the amount required.

But these new rules that Amazon are putting are terrible.

The hold is just temporary.
That being said... a bit unwise to purchase if you can't cover the hold.

ev0

Looks like someone hasn't been screwed by Amazon yet. Not all of us get their "same-day" deliveries since stuff gets delayed from them more often now.

Best Buy apparently sends things EARLY.

Apparently Tekken 7 is already been delivered to me from Best Buy. Also I got the Logan UHD movie from them 4 days early

But if Amazon has a sale then BB can price match AND give 20% off that already lowered price. Plus with free, easy store pickup on my drive home from work it couldn't be more simple.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
But if Amazon has a sale then BB can price match AND give 20% off that already lowered price. Plus with free, easy store pickup on my drive home from work it couldn't be more simple.

They can price match or give you the 20%. Policy prevents both.
If you're getting that they're making exceptions or just ignoring the policy.

sensui-tomo

no BB can not Price match and give you 20% off, unless their website does the price match (for like those odd daily deal specials) but i can not go inside to bb price match amazon and get 20% off that PM price.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bloody hell. I kept waiting for the MvC Infinite LE to go up so I could save $40, but this probably explains why they haven't done it.

I get why they'd do it for the more expensive LEs (i.e. 20% of $200 is a whopping $40 savings), but it sucks when it's for a $70 LE. The fact it won't even save you about $2.60 for amiibo sucks even more.

I guess I'm using GCU more often, but I really liked that I could add gift cards later on with Amazon to help lower the cost I'm paying out of pocket, which I can't do with BB, gotta apply stuff when checking out & that's it.

Thoraxes

Most are either sold out or store exclusive to NISA etc.

What I found was:

-Tokyo Xanadu
-Tokyo Xanadu eX+
-Culdcept Revolt
-Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash
The Tokyo Xanadu ones did previously work because I had preorders for both with the discount. I've since cancelled and gone with Best Buy.

wig

Amazon's policies just keep getting shittier and shittier. I'd switch to GCU if I hadn't gone all digital this gen.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. I ordered Mario Kart 8 Deluxe about a week before release and got it on the day w/ free shipping. They used UPS or FedEx overnight.

Edit: I don't think it's even a GCU benefit. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Yeah, it's not GCU, just Best Buy policy. Free release day shipping with preorders, free two day shipping otherwise. They compete with Amazon by offering that stuff with no subscription fee.

Best Buy often ships things early as well as it's one of the more common ways folks int eh US get games a day or two early.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if that is why Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash did not have the discount when I ordered it.

It's always been 50-50 for me when ordering. Sometimes the discount shows up near releasen sometimes it's immediate. As I said in OP, reps stopped honoring it early before release (yet they used to...)

If Amazon wanted to cut corners, they could've done it by shipping LEs in boxes :/ That's their own fault for the influx of returns.

Wanderer5

Aw that is lame. I am not really into checking out limited editions and all much, but I pretty much dived for Dishonored 2's CE cause it was $80 with Prime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was planning to get sonic mania's collector edition. Hope it keeps the discount.
I checked not too long ago (i.e. an hour or so ago) & it seems to still work, so order while you can.

I'm pretty sure all pre-orders involving LEs (I've had the PS4 version of the Sonic Mania LE pre-ordered for quite some time) before today will keep their discounts, so those should be safe.

Kar L

uhh no. Best Buy was selling CEs for 20% off with GCU for years before any semblance of a Prime discount.

dgco86

Man, this makes it so much more difficult for international Prime members to break even now... I've been thinking about giving up on Amazon for a while now because of their awful shipping but this might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Persona7

Banned
How is GCU better? Don't you have to spend over a certain amount to get free basic shipping? Pretty sure I had to order 3-4 amiibos last time to get free shipping.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
GCU also will work on any game of any age, compared to Prime where it only works on pre-orders & the first two weeks of a game's release.

It can also stack on top of sales, excluding big ones like Black Friday.

I will say, the one thing that's kind of annoying is when a game is $40, but then the GCU discount makes it $32, meaning you lose the free shipping. Of course, if you do this in-store, then it's not an issue, but for someone like me that has no local BB, it's a bit frustrating.

So they did give you the discount? (I may need to call back...) I hate having to call CS all the time about these inconsistancies :/

absolutely. I'd call again and roll the dice. I definitely think it depends on the game though. My Tokyo Xanadu collectors edtion has the discount but Senran Kagura Peach Beach doesnt.

As someone in the UK who's subscribed to Prime...this just seems absurd to me in the first place. A 20% discount is just crazy, i don't think we get anything comparable to that at all here.

Tohsaka

I don't usually buy LE/CE, but this is pretty shitty of them. Not looking forward to paying $70 for Peach Beach Splash since there is no standard edition.

Top Bottom