• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon selling re-sealed games as new or cost-cutting shrink-wrap the new norm?

Nesther

I cannot believe that Amazon would actually send you another copy due to such a non-issue.

My LE copies of SMTIV and Dragons Crown came battered, and I sent them pictures of it and nothing came of it.

Yup, slightly miffed.

G0523

I've bought some games from Amazon that were shrink-wrapped and sold as used but they looked much better than your copies of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. So I don't think it's Amazon doing that. It's probably just how Capcom did it.

I cannot believe that Amazon would actually send you another copy due to such a non-issue.

My LE copies of SMTIV and Dragons Crown came battered, and I sent them pictures of it and nothing came of it.

Yup, slightly miffed.

Call them next time, they're usually way more lenient over the phone.

Alucrid

Banned
so if they're both shrink wrapped the same, why not return one to amazon because it's either not used, or return both because they're both used

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Look at all those poor sealed games...

...Wait, is that Smash sealed?! SMASH?! OP WHY

F5GxPUT.gif

Yup, slightly miffed.

That's crappy--sorry to hear it. My Dragon's Crown came a little beat up too (the one with the artbook?).

As with anything, just try a different CSR. They're all human and have to make a lot of judgement calls each day. Some days they're more lenient than others.

I just explained I was buying it to keep it sealed, and wasn't convinced the product was new. Took about 40 seconds.

big_z

Why not go to bestbuy or target and compare it with the copies they have there?

In my experience shrink wrap is always folded unless its one of those games that have additional manuals/inserts outside the box, in which case it will be shitwrapped.

I really with Nintendo and Sony would adopt the security seals that Microsoft uses. Would help stop places from reselling used as new.

muu

bought an Anova immersion cooker from them recently, I've complained about a used product being shipped as new twice now and twice they've sent out used replacements. Along w/ the nerfing of Prime I certainly do feel like Amazon isn't what they used to be.

Zeth

That's crappy--sorry to hear it. My Dragon's Crown came a little beat up too (the one with the artbook?).

As with anything, just try a different CSR. They're all human and have to make a lot of judgement calls each day. Some days they're more lenient than others.

I just explained I was buying it to keep it sealed, and wasn't convinced the product was new. Took about 40 seconds.

How deep does this rabbit hole go?

Why not go to bestbuy or target and compare it with the copies they have there?

In my experience shrink wrap is always folded unless its one of those games that have additional manuals/inserts outside the box, in which case it will be shitwrapped.

I really with Nintendo and Sony would adopt the security seals that Microsoft uses. Would help stop places from reselling used as new.

Sadly local stores stopped carrying it long ago. Tried to snag it when Target fell, but no dice.

Vire

I feel like this is reminding me of when I didn't eat my vegetables as a kid and my Mom would tell me how there are millions of children starving in Africa or some shit.

Think of all the kids who could be playing those shrink wrapped games... Won't someone think of the children?

bought an Anova immersion cooker from them recently, I've complained about a used product being shipped as new twice now and twice they've sent out used replacements. Along w/ the nerfing of Prime I certainly do feel like Amazon isn't what they used to be.

How did you tell they were used replacements? I ask as an Anova owner who bought one directly from them (and got a warranty replacement too).

How deep does this rabbit hole go?

As in, how many more shit-sealed copies will they ship me before one of us throws in the towel?

They're out of stock now, so I think we've hit the bottom. I just need to decide if this is as good as it gets, and from other pictures out there--it seems like there are copies available with proper factory seals.

In fact, the one at Target didn't raise my ire, so clearly it didn't exhibit this BLIGHT ON ALL GAMING. ;)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe you should purchase a copy of MH3U from every major retailer to compare. Get one from each online retailer as well. Report back to us, OP! We need to see a massive comparison of every single possible retail release of MH3U.

Open the case and tell us how the disc looks. Maybe they're all scratched to hell and you'll never know.
This may or may not just be a ploy to get you to open your games.

NeonBlack

As in, how many more shit-sealed copies will they ship me before one of us throws in the towel?

They're out of stock now, so I think we've hit the bottom. I just need to decide if this is as good as it gets, and from other pictures out there--it seems like there are copies available with proper factory seals.

In fact, the one at Target didn't raise my ire, so clearly it didn't exhibit this BLIGHT ON ALL GAMING. ;)

Beat them to the punch. Stop buying new games to spite them, its not like your'e playing any of them.

Nesther

Maybe you should purchase a copy of MH3U from every major retailer to compare. Get one from each online retailer as well. Report back to us, OP! We need to see a massive comparison of every single possible retail release of MH3U.

Why stop there? Do imports.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
When I worked at Electronics Boutique we had a shrink-wrap machine right in the back. Employees would straight up borrow and open PC games and bring them back and shrink-wrap them and sell them as new.

It was my first major, long-lasting job. Had no idea at the time it would even bother people or be considered wrong. Nobody ever said anything in my two years at the store.

vireland

Help me out here. I recently ordered Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Wii U from Amazon.ca and received what looks to me to be a resealed game. Amazon was the seller (they're out now) and not just "fulfilled by".

I'd love to know if I'm chasing a unicorn here, but I simply refuse to believe this was the official factory seal for this game...

The main one you're talking about (the "better" one) is called "tuck and fold" or (less-so nowadays) "cigarette-style" wrap. It's more expensive, but it looks a WHOLE lot better.

Some "official" games still have shrink wrap, because it's cheaper and faster for small runs. We had our PSP games fulfilled at Sony, and they used shrink wrap, even though PS3, etc uses tuck and fold. I don't know what happened in this case, but it's not out of the question that it's officially done like this for this title.

Nah, more

The main one you're talking about (the "better" one) is called "tuck and fold" or (less-so nowadays) "cigarette-style" wrap. It's more expensive, but it looks a WHOLE lot better.

Some "official" games still have shrink wrap, because it's cheaper and faster for small runs. We had our PSP games fulfilled at Sony, and they used shrink wrap, even though PS3, etc uses tuck and fold. I don't know what happened in this case, but it's not out of the question that it's officially done like this for this title.

Very informative--thank you. I guess I got a later production run, which was done on the cheap?

When I worked at Electronics Boutique we had a shrink-wrap machine right in the back. Employees would straight up borrow and open PC games and bring them back and shrink-wrap them and sell them as new.

See, this drives me bananas but I'll admit most people don't care. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

vireland

Tuck and fold wrapping doesn't "shrink", it's folded to the size of the box and those folds are sealed by a machine. Generally the box is fed in to a tube with no seam, and the top and bottom are folded, although I have seen the less commonly folded on the spine ends.

Pennywise

See, this drives me bananas but I'll admit most people don't care. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
Amazon sells used games and stuff through their warehouse deals. The whole reasons those deals exist in the first place. Sold some games to amazon via trade in and they were either part of used sales on amazon or another retailer sold them for amazon. Stuff I sent back was also part of the warehouse deals. Sent back an TV after a month ( due extended times to send your stuff back on christmas) and it was instantly part of the warehouse deals. With every flaw listed properly. Same happened when I send and external HDD back. My experience is based on amazon germany, but I doubt its gonna be different anywhere else.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

Well it was, like, '88 to '90. You had to remember to write protect the floppy (with a little tape or sticker) so you wouldn't save right on the original disc but I'm sure people spaced it all the time. It was kind of nuts.

Eventually the manager got fired and corporate found a bunch of uncashed checks behind a ceiling tile in the office (?), so I'm pretty sure a lot of what went on was not standard procedure.

RPGam3r

Thank-you Sir / Madam! Thank-you for having the courage to admit you didn't open your entire backlog just to smell them.

I at least play them for an hour or more and get them installed with the latest updates.

Why do you care about some seal that hopefully you'll crack and play eventually a year or so down the road?

Head.spawn

Sage advice. I'm still at the bargaining phase of grief, where I tell myself I'll catch up on my backlog...perhaps in retirement. It extends back to the NES, no joke.

I don't have a mega-collection or anything, but the sealed games are actually in the minority.

I feel like one day I'll hit the lottery, then have a ton of free time actually play all these games.

Still holding out for powerball.

kuYuri

I've noticed this with bluray movies that I've bought from Amazon recently as well. It's kind of annoying cause it felt to me like someone opened it. Even when I requested a replacement, I got the same thing again.

RexNovis

Banned
This thread = your brain on OCD.

I'm legit concerned for the OP. I cannot even begin to fathom the debilitating level of OCD that would lead one to buy numerous games, leave them sealed and then become outraged that not all of the seals are the same. This is a debilitating level of obsession. OP breath. Then contemplate your goals in life and realize how ridiculous it is to be legitimately upset about this. Then perhaps seek professional help to manage your nerosis. No joke you need some help.

I think a lot of first run games get the nice high quality fold treatment and subsequent printing of the game get the lower quality heat shrink wrap and other cost saving measures.

I think it's just a way for them to save a few cents on production per unit. Wouldn't worry about it.

Did Capcom publish this game? Just checking, as I recently bought it from Amazon and it came with a proper seal, not the crappy one pictured in the OP.

Did you buy the US version, or the bilingual Canadian version? Did it look like the one in this auction, as that appears to have tuck and seal.

Perhaps this was only for Canada, and they strayed from the norm of simply wrapping the bilingual cover over the original?

Sadly, that was standard procedure at Electronics Boutique/GAME. At least in the UK, anyway. It was one of the things you got once you had passed your bullshit 6 week "probation" period. The idea was that if you borrowed the games and played them, you'd have more knowledge with which to sell them the public.

Was called "Product Loan" and they even had a little check-out form that you had to fill in when you took something. Could have it for up to 48 hours and bring it back, re-seal it in the shrinkwrap machine, put it on the shelf, and get something else.

And yup, that bad boy would be sold as new with no mention that it had been used.

Most of my store (not me...I didn't have a PC at the time) upgraded to Windows 98 using this method. Just borrowed the disc version when it came in, used the code in the package to install it, brought it back, sold it to a customer. Even had folks borrowing 3DFX boards, and clubbing their Product Loan allowance together to get a 3D card and a stack of games for the weekend. At one point, our store manager was lending games to a local kid in exchange for him dusting all the shelves on a Sunday. Or people turning up on Friday to pick up their preordered game, only to find that "we didn't have enough stock delivered sir, I'm afraid" when three members of staff had put copies of the game aside to borrow that night. Real classy company.

I'm legit concerned for the OP. I cannot even begin to fathom the debilitating level of OCD that would lead one to buy numerous games, leave them sealed and then become outraged that not all of the seals are the same. This is a debilitating level of obsession. OP breath. Then contemplate your goals in life and realize how ridiculous it is to be legitimately upset about this. Then perhaps seek professional help to manage your nerosis. No joke you need some help.

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

I think we've hit a new low in video game obsessions.

If this is a new low for you, you need to broaden your horizons. ;)

Wag

It was my first major, long-lasting job. Had no idea at the time it would even bother people or be considered wrong. Nobody ever said anything in my two years at the store.

I worked at Babbage's back in the day. They also had a shrink-wrap machine. They would keep the empty boxes on the shelves and the products behind the counter.

One of the perks there also was allowing the employees to borrow the games for a few days. I didn't object to that. 😀

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

If this is a new low for you, you need to broaden your horizons. ;)

People bitching about a box, I can understand that. It's still a little funny, but I get people want to have a nice box. Freaking out because of shrinkwrap... No, that's full blown insane.

Well it was, like, '88 to '90. You had to remember to write protect the floppy (with a little tape or sticker) so you wouldn't save right on the original disc but I'm sure people spaced it all the time.

AHA! I figured as much when you said you borrowed PC games. That had to have been in the era before single-use redemption codes.

Victrix

*beard*

I disagree, if you can afford to worry about the cellophane wrapping on your unopened entertainment products, clearly your life is in a happy and stable place so you can worry about inconsequential shit freely on a time wasting internet message board.

Top Bottom