• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Spain lists new PS4 model to be released on October for €399

$399 is a good price point, great even.
But I think Sony will charge more, because they have no competition for one whole year, they can go higher and drop it when their competition is ready to launch.

Arrogant Sony is back

Naaa, even without big competitors I can't see Sony doing that trick. Also, with that price point a good bunch of enthusiast players would probably replace their OG one.

Haven't been keeping up but isn't neo seriously underpowered compared to Scorpio? If so then they gotta keep the price down to beat Scorpio. I imagine the Scorpio might be much more expensive.

spwolf

Haven't been keeping up but isn't neo seriously underpowered compared to Scorpio? If so then they gotta keep the price down to beat Scorpio. I imagine the Scorpio might be much more expensive.

Scorpio is way out... Neo will be 399 because Sony wants to sell many, not because Scorpio is going to be out 12-14 months later.

It's much more powerful than Xbox One S which is what matters for the next year as PlayStation increases its already significant lead over the competition.

By the time Scorpio launches, PS4 family could potentially have somewhere on the region of 70m users. I'd wager the vast majority of those will hang on for the next PlayStation (PS5?) rather than jump ship to Xbox.

sense

Sure you can once Sony wises up and makes their games go on PC as well like Microsoft is going to. In the meantime you have PS4 Neo 2 quality multiplats and similar games to the ones you mentioned like Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, Forza Horizon, etc

it doesn't look like they are struggling with ps4 hardware and software sales where they need to "wise" up and release on pc. When that day comes,i will get a PC. just like you don't want a lower performing experience and play multiplats on pc, i don't want to settle for alternatives and would rather get a neo to play the exclusives that look and perform better

I also think it's the PS4 Neo, but it could also be the PS4 Slim. MS is doing the Xbox One S at the same price than the Xbox One normal, so...

But I think/hope it's the PS4 Neo, it would be a good price.

I think it's the Neo, personally. Sony could sell the PS4 Slim for like $359 or so. Sony definitely needs a console to contend with Xbox One S, especially now that we know it'll upscale games to 4K as well as do 4K video playback.

I'm thinking Sony will do the PS4 Slim at like $349 - 359 and the PS4 Neo at $439 (399 Euros = $442 USD), both released in October.

DieH@rd

Banned
IMO, this could be anything. Regular PS4 with larger HDD, or pre-holiday bundle with game(s) are most likely choices.

Yeah, Scorpio is pretty beefy. Microsoft wants to do "true" 4K, which to me says they'll try to do native 4K gaming, likely at 30FPS.

PS4 Neo, on the other hand, will only upscale games to 4K, not hit native 4K.

I think Project Scorpio will use a custom GPU that sits in the middle between AMD's new Polaris (mid-grade card made for 1080p 60FPS, PS4 Neo uses a highly customized version of Polaris) and Vega (AMD's huge insane enthusiast-grade card made for 4K).

Scorpio will be much more pricey than PS4 Neo, but it'll deliver quite a dramatic punch over PS4K.

The PS4 Neo's equivalent would likely be the Xbox One S, as the Xbox One S now upscales games to 4K and utilizes a new semi-custom SoC from AMD. We still don't know what's on that custom SoC, but based on the $299 price, it could use a scaled Polaris GPU (think RX 460-470 or thereabouts as a rough estimate)

I surely can't be the only once that's noticed this, but the PS VR's codename was Morpheus, the PS4 4.5's codename is Neo... Is it safe to assume the PS5 will be codenamed Trinity?

No, you're not ;).
psroadmapiterativenlkyr.png

It seems like they're definitely going for the 'smartphone' model. 399 is the pricepoint, which will probably increase by a bit with every new iteration and there'll be a new one every set period. I wouldn't be surprised if they create subscriptions and/or subsidy programs to go with that.

I honestly don't see anything that implies any of that. They've also said publicly that they're not really interested in going that route.

Zero chance the Neo or Scorpio launch has a baseline price above $399. I mean, there's absolutely no chance.

Now, they will definitely have higher capacity SKU's that are more expensive, but the baseline will be $399.

Deeke[VRZ];210077166 said:
The PS4 Neo's equivalent would likely be the Xbox One S, as the Xbox One S now upscales games to 4K and utilizes a new semi-custom SoC from AMD. We still don't know what's on that custom SoC, but based on the $299 price, it could use a scaled Polaris GPU (think RX 460-470 or thereabouts as a rough estimate)

What? Xbox One S has the original Xbox One specs except for the HDMI port and UHD Drive for 4K VIDEO output.... No improvements for games

Neo will be much more powerful

It seems like they're definitely going for the 'smartphone' model. 399 is the pricepoint, which will probably increase by a bit with every new iteration and there'll be a new one every set period. I wouldn't be a surprised if they create subscriptions and/or subsidy programs to go with that.

Andrew House has stated they are not going for the smartphone model though.
Don't know how anyone can say Sony are 'definitely' following phone model regardless.

Daft Punk

Banned
Sure you can once Sony wises up and makes their games go on PC as well like Microsoft is going to. In the meantime you have PS4 Neo 2 quality multiplats and similar games to the ones you mentioned like Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, Forza Horizon, etc

It's time to stop.

Zero chance the Neo or Scorpio launch has a baseline price above $399. I mean, there's absolutely no chance.

Now, they will definitely have higher capacity SKU's that are more expensive, but the baseline will be $399.

If you've got inside info to indicate that, that is very good to know. I think the upgrade will be almost a no brainer at that price, especially if you can dump your old ps4 for 100 bucks to a friend or something.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't think there will be a traditional PS4 slim because they could not do that in the first place to get cost savings with 14nm. Most people think XB1S isn't actually 14nm, but just a redesign of the overly conservative VCR design of the XB1.

Current PS4 will get a price drop(249?) and still continue on the market with the NEO which i think will be 399.

Also...NEO is not a Xbox S rival either, its in between an Xbox S and Scorpio...its not quite the jump Scorpio is, but its not just the original Xbox 1 hardware in a smaller case like XB1S either.

So your advice rests on the hope that one day Sony will port all their exclusives to pc?
Lol.
Will I be able to sell and exchange my games, like i do with my Ps4 game purchases when your prophecy comes true?

oti

Banned

I'm not convinced MS is willing to eat all that cost. They very deliberately market this as "a gaming PC console" (they even called it a monster). Scorpio will be more powerful than Neo and it will cost more. >400.

What? Xbox One S has the original Xbox One specs except for the HDMI port and UHD Drive for 4K VIDEO output.... No improvements for games

Neo will be much more powerful

Xbox One S has a semi-custom SoC with undetermined specs (but its possible it uses the same)

AMD confirmed it here https://twitter.com/AMD/status/742455340839493632?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Mike Ybarra also confirmed the Xbox One S does 4K upscaling for games, too.

https://twitter.com/Nugggzy/status/748997115804868608?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Also Coalition devs said they were able to squeeze out some extra FPS performance in Gears 4, but Phil Spencer later redacted that.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/13/11927732/Xbox-one-s-performance-gears-4

While the Neo will be more powerful than the Xbox One S, it's clear that Microsoft is using the console to compete with the PS4 Neo.

Therefore they'll be the natural combatants--unless the new PS4 Slim has 4K video playback/4K upscaling, which I doubt it does.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Deeke[VRZ] said:
I think it's the Neo, personally. Sony could sell the PS4 Slim for like $359 or so.
I'm not convinced there will be separately branded "Slim" PS4 as such.
I'd see it more likely along the lines of "new PS4 line" where entry-level model starts at 299 and high-end model starts at 399, but form-factor is largely the same (and smaller than "old" PS4).

I don't think there will be a traditional PS4 slim because they could not do that in the first place to get cost savings with 14nm. Most people think XB1S isn't actually 14nm, but just a redesign of the overly conservative VCR design of the XB1.

Current PS4 will get a price drop(249?) and still continue on the market with the NEO which i think will be 399.

Also...NEO is not a Xbox S rival either, its in between an Xbox S and Scorpio...its not quite the jump Scorpio is, but its not just the original Xbox 1 hardware in a smaller case like XB1S either.

Remember 399 Euros = $442 USD. Just saying! Looks like PS4 Neo could be $439?

I'm not convinced there will be separately branded "Slim" PS4 as such.
I'd see it more likely along the lines of "new PS4 line" where entry-level model starts at 299 and high-end model starts at 399, but form-factor is largely the same (and smaller than "old" PS4).

That would be quite interesting...the $299 model could to 4K video playback and Base Mode gaming, maybe not Neo Mode? The whole 4K upscaling and 1080p 60FPS is going to make up the bulk of that cost.

But yeah, I think you're on to something with this!

Pennywise

Deeke[VRZ];210087390 said:

You realize that those prices are always on the same end.
399$ means 399€, that's how it was done with the PS4, Xbox 1 and so on.

Caayn

€ prices always include tax ;) And it's been a while since a price in € has been lower than in $. If the EU price is €399,- it'll be $399,-

I don't think AMD capable to make a 6TF APU this year. Neo is the best we can get.

Yeah, AMD's 14nm 8th-generation APUs are coming in 2017 since Zen isn't ready, and won't be ready until 2017.

The 8th-generation APUs should be made up of Polaris GPU + Zen CPU for some serious performance boosts over the APUs we have now. Even then I doubt that tier of APU performance would be cheap...

That's not to say the 7th-generation APUs are bad. Far from it! http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52354...specs-perf-per-watt-more-announced/index.html

Mrbob

Yeah after tax. :p Well between 420 and 450 depending on state tax.

Remember USA pricing doesn't includes tax.

I'm gonna guess this is the beefed-up "slim," akin to the $399 2TB SlimBone. If it does turn out to be a $399 Neo, then it will almost certainly destroy the sales of the aforementioned $399 2TB SlimBone, and likely sales of the $299 SlimBone and $299 PS4 as well; a $399 PS4.5 is kind of a no-brainer, especially if you were already considering the $349 PS4 they were just selling a second ago.

Then again, if people are right about PS4.5 being doomed to forced obsolescence in a couple of years by PS5, then it might be better to just wait for that.

Then again, if Sony are being truthful about more frequent hardware refreshes and in a couple of years you'll be able to get a far more powerful PS5.5 for practically the same price as the PS5, then it might be better to just wait for that.

Then again, if the PS5.5 is doomed to forced obsolescence in a few years because PS6…

slapnuts

Too expensive for a slim imo. Sony, I need that Neo this year.

Word, I jumped ship early with my Day 1 PS4 and sold it for 280 on amazon two months ago...I took a chance that Neo would ship this year. I do have a decent gaming PC to hold me down for the time being though :)

Kickz

When you play online do you play against KBM users or PC users using Controllers?

I would love to use a PC, but the fact is I prefer using controllers. When I play first person shooters or tps online, I'm going to get wrecked if I play against KBM users.

This is a legit issue, I have run into this going from Console only to PC + Console, but I have gotten over it as I prefer to play the campaigns over the online multiplayer of 1st person games like COD/Battlefield. Still if you want to play Battlefield 1 on PS4 Neo 2 this holiday its PC all the way

As someone who wants to buy a ps4 now but is interested in waiting, is it worth waiting for the new model for someone who doesn't have a 4k tv and isn't that interested in VR yet? Is it enough of an upgrade to wait for?

no one could possibly know that yet

So I guess I'm just in limbo until it possibly gets announced, details keep leaking, etc.

It's a shame because I was waiting until I made money this summer in order to buy a ps4 and now I can't because I'm frozen on whether it is worth it right now.

So I guess I'm just in limbo until it possibly gets announced, details keep leaking, etc.

It's a shame because I was waiting until I made money this summer in order to buy a ps4 and now I can't because I'm frozen on whether it is worth it right now.

You're a braves fan. You should he used to this conundrum

Top Bottom