• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon [UK] blocks non-Prime members from buying certain video games

MiszMasz

This is now a double whammy of stupidity this week that has put me right off Amazon, the first being a book I pre-ordered almost 6 months ago wasn't going to be shipped until 5 days after release because reasons.

Any recommendations for other companies either with "generous" returns policies like Amazon, or that package their games well? I stopped using ShopTo and a couple of other places because they toss everything in crappy jiffy bags even if it's a fragile collectors edition. TGC also looks terrible, they have a grand total of 3 brand new Vita games in stock.

I've not had to return anything to either yet, but then I've had no particular issues with them either, so I'd recommend Base and Rice Digital.

Why the fuck are so many of you using amazon?

Are you new to the internet or something you're a google search away from having your mind blown.

seriously for supposedly tech savy and in the know people sometimes you all just go right off the fucking deep end,

Amazon doing shit things? FUCK EM shop elsewhere.

I shop there because I get quite a few Amazon gift vouchers to spend, and that naturally attracts me towards Amazon.

They do and have been for a while actually, e.g. for Fear the Walking Dead or Californication. These options are just not available for all content it seems which is likely due to legal/rights issues.
I've seen that some months ago, but last time I checked almost no series or movies have it. "Almost no" being an understatement compared to other services. Their solution with offering two sepqrate videos, one with german translation, one original, was the most ridiculous work-around on their side.

Saiyan-Rox

Funny how Amazon are doing this yet i've never had a single preordered game be sent via next day...

Prime as a whole for non mainland people like myself has been more of a miss than a hit and not to mention prime here is no where near as good as the US version of the service.

Bad move Amazon, Bad move.

Closed all my Amazon services when they decided to stop paying tax. I know they've voluntarily started paying now but plenty of alternatives out there based wholly in the UK.

Rosur

This is stupid tbh and have prime myself.

People will just go to places that end up selling it cheaper like TheGameCollection (at least give us 20% of like the US get rather than doing this).

I've not had to return anything to either yet, but then I've had no particular issues with them either, so I'd recommend Base and Rice Digital.

Those actually look pretty decent, Base seems cheaper than Amazon in general and Rice looks like it covers all the niche games, limited editions and some imports too. I think I'll test them both out for a couple of pre-orders.

Lime

I blame Brexit and UKIP

Amazon UK has been shit for a while for non-British Europeans. I can't buy any books there anymore.

PSOreo

Maybe I'm being naive here but could it simply be low stock that puts them into the "exclusive" category? For instance I'd imagine a lot of Prime Users who now have access to the Now service in the UK are perhaps taking advantage of the quick turnaround?

Well I guess it's time to boycott Amazon unless they sort their shit out. I even have access to a prime account anyway, but it's still bullshit and there's no way I'm going to take my business there with this sort of behavior from them.

Maybe I'm being naive here but could it simply be low stock that puts them into the "exclusive" category? For instance I'd imagine a lot of Prime Users who now have access to the Now service in the UK are perhaps taking advantage of the quick turnaround?

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe they reserve the last 5 copies still in stock for prime members, but that it's the case for quite a few AAA games seems odd in that scenario.

On the other hand it would be just as weird for amazon to think that this would encourage customers to upgrade to prime; I think Amazon knows enough about customer psychology to see that this isn't going to work and might even have the opposite effect.
Usually Amazon is all about growth, they don't want big profit margins and what profit they make they invest in growing and offering more and better services to customers just to grow even more and more and more until their monopoly is complete. It's scary but most of the time it works for the benefit of their customers.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yeah Amazon has been getting aggressive in pushing Prime to the point that they are putting stuff behind a pay wall which isn't going to make me sign up for Prime.

Meh it's Amazon loss as I have been shopping less since they bumped the free post to £20 and The Game Collection is much cheaper that shopping at Amazon.

Elios83

I have Prime but this doesn't make sense at all.
People in general are certainly not going to pay to have the right to buy something else, it's absurd. There are many retailers around, in this way they're going to lose sales.
I understand that they want to give people more reasons to subscribe to Prime but this is the wrong way.

Amazon is getting closer and closer to turning into BJ's or Sam's Club store, where they REQUIRE a paid subscription for you to even shop at all on the site.

That day is coming and it will suck big time. It's probably one of the reason they're heading back into brick and mortar stores.

GeeTeeCee

I've had issue with this once before (when trying to buy Elder Scrolls Online for a family member's birthday) and I'm not happy to see Amazon pushing it further. The only reason I use them so prominently at the moment is down to their free first class delivery on game pre-orders, and if they drop that I'll just start shopping elsewhere.

They've already pushed the price point for super saver delivery high enough that I often don't bother buying stuff from them, and their savings aren't so uniquely great that spunking down £80 for the privilege is entirely viable to me.

driver116

Thank goodness for the independent online stores. They're the ones who are actively competitive between one another, and consumers get some great prices.

BTW if anyone isn't aware you can use:
http://www.gamecrawler.co.uk/
To get the best price available from some online stores.

F*ck Amazon.

Beefy

But now you can watch a pretty shitty selection of TV shows and movies with no option to opt out of it!!.

Pretty shitty? You get Vikings, Black Sails etc etc all before Sky do. Then they have their exlusives. £80 for free delivery and a good tv service is well worth it. I don't agree with locking stuff behind a paywall.

Wiped89

"Amazon blocks non-Prime members from buying certain video games" is not a correct statement. There are vendors, fulfilled by amazon, eligible for Prime, and cheaper. They're right on the page.

Yeah but they aren't from Amazon. They are third party sellers.

So the statement is correct.

I think this is shocking. More and more I'm moving away from Amazon. I cancelled my Uncharted 4 preorder and moved it to Zavvi, where it's £1 cheaper and they don't do this BS.

Beefy

For me it basically is. If I was to simply pay for delivery each time I bought something it would be more then £80 a year. I get for some people it wouldn't be and also get that it's scummy locking products behind a paywall.

As a Prime member I get:

Prime Music
Discounts
Delivery
Prime TV

Probably more all for just over £6.50 a month. Far more worth it then UK Netflix.

Any other online retailer I should use

TheGameCollection, without a doubt the best UK online retailer to get your games related shit from these days. I ditched Amazon a long time ago for them and haven't looked back since.

I've heard a few people saying that this new tactic is to make Prime look more appealing, but I imagine to most people, and myself who aren't currently prime members, it probably just looks like an extra paywall just to buy a certain item you want. Discounts I can get behind but blocking off access to a specific product completely if you don't pay an extra chunk of money to... "unlock" the priviledge to buy a partciular item is totally the wrong way around getting people to sign up, doesn't really add value. If anything this has just soured me on ever getting Prime in the future, rather than the opposite way around.

Top Bottom