• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon will start collecting sales tax nationwide starting April 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

One of Amazon's biggest early advantages over brick-and-mortar retailers will disappear for good next month. The company will on April 1st start collecting sales in the states of Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, and New Mexico, according to a report from CNBC. That means Amazon will collect sales tax in all 45 states that require it, ending one of the company's more drawn-out regulatory fights that the e-commerce giant had resigned itself to losing years ago. (For the record, Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon do not have a state sales tax.)

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/24/15055662/amazon-us-sales-tax-collection-all-states

Honestly? Good. As an individual it sucks to pay sales tax on amazon purchases, but at the same time as retail starts to bite it, cities will need sales tax revenue for even basic services.

mreddie

giphy.gif

Join us, AZ had to deal with this bullshit thanks to a shit city government.

And again, I'm sure all of you who are impacted have been declaring your purchases on your tax returns and paying all applicable use taxes as required by your states, so this is really just making things more convenient for you. Right? Right.

This is good. It's good for the state and local treasuries and the services they provide, and it's good for local businesses that had to compete with a business offering deferred (right? right.) taxation.

cwmartin

This will go as it usually does. People pat themselves and others on the back for not paying taxes.

If your state has sales tax, just pay your damn tax and shut up.

Futureman

I just bought a Switch on Amazon today. Should have been ~$21 in PA sales tax. The actual order said "estimated sales tax" of $18.

I thought that was weird and have never seen that before though I don't buy much from Amazon. Anyone know what's up with that?

MrDaravon

And again, I'm sure all of you who are impacted have been declaring your purchases on your tax returns and paying all applicable use taxes as required by your states, so this is really just making things more convenient for you. Right? Right.

This is good. It's good for the state and local treasuries and the services they provide, and it's good for local businesses that had to compete with a business offering deferred (right? right.) taxation.

This.

malfcn

The advantage is you still don't need to get dressed to shop on Amazon.

Walmart is still strong competition.

Consumers don't gives a fuck about anything you just said.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
We pay a state income tax though.. so lack of sales tax doesn't mean we automatically win.

Though, it's nice to pay the price listed.

Piggus

Legal weed - check
Liberal politics - check
Vote-by-mail elections - check
Don't have to pump your own gas like a fucking chump - check
Trees everywhere - check
No goofy-ass sales tax - check!

i'd rather pay the tax than live in Oregon tbh

The good thing is you won't be taxed for buying salt since you can just produce your own

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder where Oregon makes up state revenue that they lose on sales tax compared to other states.

Fuck, I wish there were a site that could lay out all this information for me to make easy comparisons. Unless there already is one, and I don't know of it.

Piggus

I wonder where Oregon makes up state revenue that they lose on sales tax compared to other states.

Fuck, I wish there were a site that could lay out all this information for me to make easy comparisons. Unless there already is one, and I don't know of it.

State income tax, lottery, weed sales, etc.

Damaniel

Banned
How does Oregon get out of this? I hope they get forced into eventually like the rest of us!

/salty

We don't have a sales tax and we've voted against one at least 9 times over the years. I don't think we'll be passing one anytime soon.

Of course, we have a state income tax and high-ish property taxes, so you win some, you lose some...

emag

How does Oregon get out of this? I hope they get forced into eventually like the rest of us!

/salty

Oregon doesn't have a state sales tax. New Hampshire doesn't have state sales tax and doesn't have state income tax, but the property taxes are high. Alaska also doesn't have state sales and doesn't have state income tax, but it's Alaska (oil/gas sales and federal subsidies largely cover the state's budget).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom