• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon will start collecting sales tax nationwide starting April 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article is a bit misinformed. Hawaii technically does not have a State sales tax. We have a General Excise Tax which is paid by the retailer/service, however they can pass this to consumers.

The tax is 4% and 4.5% on Oahu. The retailer can charge up to 4.7 to recover the GET.

Rell

Oregon Oregon Oregon!

Ding ding ding!

Don't move here please!

Ps We have high property taxes and an income tax..we don't just get off free without a sales tax.

Edit: the property tax isn't really even that high. About middle of the road for the United States. Money's gotta be coming from somewhere?

Mett

Think I've been doing this since I've been buying stuff from Amazon since 2009. Guess its just finally catching up around to everyone else.

Legal weed - check
Liberal politics - check
Vote-by-mail elections - check
Don't have to pump your own gas like a fucking chump - check
Trees everywhere - check
No goofy-ass sales tax - check!

The good thing is you won't be taxed for buying salt since you can just produce your own

i live in new jersey, can confirm this is a fantastic thing if you drive. people don't get it tho

Maengun1

Yeah, my state (MI) added tax on amazon a year or two ago. It was nice while it lasted, but I guess it's the right thing to do.

Still, I'll never forget the day I bought an awesome huge new TV from amazon with 0 tax and free shipping <3 lol

Rootbeer

Banned
Started collecting in California in, what, 2012?

You all joining the party in 2017 got a 5 year free pass. So please no complaining, lol.

yeah it sucks, hate it :( third party sellers though

EXMaster

Legal weed - check
Liberal politics - check
Trees everywhere - check

The good thing is you won't be taxed for buying salt since you can just produce your own

Never not paid tax here in Washington.

Don't mind it; no State income tax here... Oregonians stay losing.

The ultimate winners are the people who live (and work) in/near Vancouver, WA since you can go across the river for no sales tax and not pay high Oregon state taxes. Though I suppose having a WA address will nullify that with Amazon in particular.

But at least Oregon doesn't have to worry about keeping track of use taxes, which can be kinda a pain if you actually do it.

Anion

Probably a good thing. Now, hopefully the states will use it in wonderful beneficial ways

Wait, who am I kidding...

Seriously though, of the posters in the United States, what percentage are Oregonians? Apparently there's a ton of us, Jesus.
I get to join your ranks for the summer. I'm looking forward to being out of this desert hellhole. It can't even be a desert hellhole that doesn't pay sales tax on Amazon in the coming month.

Oregon only exists for 3 reasons for me:

1) Road games for the Lakers since Seattle well, you know...

2) the Nike Employee Store visits (my wallet &#9785;&#65039;&#65039;)

3) general shopping

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Legal weed - check
Liberal politics - check
Trees everywhere - check

Sunshine? Lol not check...

:(

I am in one of the states being added, but this is the right move.

It was an unfair competitive advantage, no matter how nice it was for consumers.

I've found it less and less worthwhile ordering from Amazon over the last few years and unless you're unable to leave your home or live a good distance from major retailers like I do or want some random little things there's not a whole lot of incentive to buy from Amazon anymore. Outside the couple months I've had Prime the number of orders I've placed on Amazon has fallen off sharply into the single digits since 2014. Worse than Amazon losing it's price advantage is how far the quality of their customer service has fallen. When I had Prime last November I couldn't believe how terrible it was, they don't seem to care anymore if they retain your business even a couple years prior they still at least put some effort into making it feel like they valued you at least a little bit as a customer, at least in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom