• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazons [devkit?] controller revealed by Brazilian FCC [Up: Additional Images]

The designer:

xdvs1bw.jpg

AkuMifune

Banned
Hope it's a prototype. Not that I expect Amazon to "get it", but it would be nice to have another legit player in the market.

Between Ouya, This and the steam controller it seems like people don't understand what makes a good controller.

The Steam controller is at least going for an original concept, so it can be forgiven for flaws in execution. On the other hand, two analog sticks, a d-pad, four face buttons, and four shoulder buttons is a thing that's been around since 1997. There's no excuse for fucking that up.

Lone Wolf

I don't expect them to. Amazon are big enough to just force their console to become known, without the hassle of going to E3. They'll put it on their front page and boom, sales.
You are probably right. I would guess promotions similar to the Kindle tablets.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I swear every time I see a controller with those media controls on then I think cheap and not really understanding of the market. Bad look.

Chettlar

Banned
I swear every time I see a controller with those media controls on then I think cheap and not really understanding of the market. Bad look.

ehh, we've just been spoiled by MS and recently Sony.

I mean when MS spends, what was it, 5 years? working on the ergonomics of the 360 controller, it kind of has to end up being good.

Espada

Does everyone use the same letters? Shapes are king.

Shapes are king simply because not all cultures use the alphabet, while shapes are pretty universally understood.

Anyway, I think this controller looks like a weird, uncomfortable version of the 360's pad. Yeesh, look at that slab shape.

Zeppeli

Banned
Came into this thread with high hopes before seeing the pictures...

Christ, just hire Hori or those fucking MadCatz to make your controller. This looks like one of those $15 no name third party controllers.

Allen Poe

it looks like the horrendous 3rd party controller you would force house guests (or younger sibling) to play with in 2 player games.

Lumyst

it looks like the horrendous 3rd party controller you would force house guests (or younger sibling) to play with in 2 player games.

Haha, that's so true (and to be fair to third party controllers, that's how I figured out there were spinning weights inside that cause the rumble effect, so hey, if it splits open then may as well learn about electronics before trashing it).

Enectic

Banned
As many people have already mentioned...this looks very similar to an OnLive controller. I really like the OnLive controller so I'm OK with that.

GAF getting quoted in this article:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/15/amazons-video-game-controller-looks-hideous.aspx

"But overall, the controller design looks horrendous -- an ugly, uncomfortable rip-off of Microsoft's Xbox design. I'm not only gamer to think this -- commentators on NeoGAF, a gaming enthusiast forum known for leaking details on, among other things, Microsoft's Xbox One, came to a similar conclusion.

"Ugly," wrote one poster. "It looks so sad. Someone needs to cheer it up," wrote another. "That looks like it'd be really uncomfortable to use."

Sydle

Hmmm, it's ugly. I expected more from Amazon since all I ever hear are how smart everyone is there.

Hopefully this is just an early version of it for development purposes.

AJLma

Those pictures made me realize that I really don't want the Amazon logo prominently displayed anywhere in my house, on anything.

It's like if I had a "Wal-Mart" branded Television, or a "Best Buy" branded mouse & keyboard. It's automatically slapped with the label of being a cheap, budget piece of hardware.

It may be shallow, but I will never own this device.

EDIT: The Kindle is fine, because it is in fact a cheap, budget piece of hardware.

My first reaction was, "Hell yeah, looks uncomfortable and clunky"... but I quickly came to the realization that every time I've played with my preferred controller (Xbox 360), I used it while I had the Chatpad attached.

116-d.jpg

So if anything, it would probably be a very familiar experience for me, to be quite honest. The shoulder buttons look right and the stick placement is ideal, as those are more likely the concerns I might have raised regarding design.

Top Bottom