• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle' |OT| Man, that is a high castle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

I love how rock 'n' roll never happened. Everyone just listens to old records.

Late chiming in to this, but really, it kind of makes sense since in the Greater German Reich, black people had been exterminated. And black culture birthed blues and jazz, which led to rock and roll. But I didn't even pick up on that at the time, good call.

I thought this was a great first season and am very much looking forward to the second. The final scene though, still not sure what to think of that.

Might have been answered already, but
was Obergruppenfuhrer an American before the war? So essentially he would have betrayed his country and gone on to hunt down his fellow countrymen? Seemed implied to me.

Parham

Banned
Nothing about the resistance plot line was remotely interesting. Would've much preferred if the show focused more on the political tension and rising cold war between Germany and Japan.

Jacob4815

Season Ending spoiler:
There was a dude in a high castle at the end of the last episode who seemed to know a lot about these films

If you mean
**********Hitler****************
it's not him.

http://zap2it.com/2015/11/season-1-hints-man-in-the-high-castles-identity/

Originally, the man in the high castle was to be revealed fairly early on, but creator Frank Spotnitz tells Zap2it that he decided to hold that reveal for later in the series.

“You won’t meet him in the first season and you won’t find out [about where the film comes from].

Not sure I'm a fan of this 'resistance' angle at all. But I get it. Being faithful to the book would be a mess of a show. Still would rather it skipped the resistance stuff altogether and filmed it as people accepting their new reality under the Japanese / Germans.

I really liked it.

It's funny to me when people get mad with their criticisms about lack of motivation when a character clearly states the motivation. Time to put he phone down while watching the show, people.

The criticism in question :Why do the resistance care about the films?

They care because the one female resistance fighter said that when they deliver the films, favors are done for the resistance. Specifically, the last one they devilered got 10 of their fighters freed.
Why do I, the viewer care about these films? Why does Juliana, one of our two protagonists, care about these films? It's absolutely key to this series and it's a ball that's utterly dropped.

(full season spoilers in rant ahead)

Do these films grant some kind of magical power that allows (or denies) jumping between dimensions? Do these films risk inciting the defeated allies to return to war? Do they do something else? We don't know and we don't find out in the first season. Alright, fine. There are a lot of shows that introduce a mystery in the pilot episode and don't reveal their answers by the end of the first season (smoke monster in Lost, etc).

But we need a reason to care. Our two protagonists are Joe and Juliana. Joe doesn't care about the tapes at all. All Joe cares about is his mission in terms of being a Nazi. Joe discovers a tape under his truck on his way to Carson City. Does he do anything with it? No. Well, he watches it. And then... gives it to the resistance to potentially save his life. And that's the end of that. There's a brief conversation with Juliana about the tapes, but Joe doesn't seem to care that much. When he gets back to Nazi high command, does he really pry into the tapes? Not really. If he does, they tell him to not ask questions. So he doesn't, like a good Nazi. Are we having fun as a viewer through Joe? No. Joe's shit is stupid.

Then there's Juliana. Juliana's motivations as a character are seemingly driven by validating her sister's sacrifice. Is Juliana a member of the resistance? No. Doesn't look like she cares about it much at all in the pilot. She's practicing Japanese self-defense. She's taking time off work. Then her sister dies and Juliana gets the tape and she has to fulfill her sister's goal. For the resistance? No. For her sister. That's appropriate character motivation. So Juliana goes to Carson City and eventually watches her film. And she cries because it looks great. Then she very poorly throws a guy over the dam. Doesn't have anything to do with the film, but I thought I'd mention it because it looked ridiculous. Anyway, Juliana ends up in the same boat as Joe and gives her tape away. When she asks about its importance, she gets no answers. Juliana stops caring much about the films. She starts caring about being in the resistance though. Why?

Well that's a good God damn question when you ask yourself this: What did the resistance DO in the first season? What did they accomplish? What have they done? Here are some events that pertain to the post-war victors being attacked:

- The Japanese Prince is shot and almost killed in public.
- A German provides secret tech to the Japanese. He is later captured, interrogated, then persuaded to assassinate Hitler.
- A Nazi agent (Joe) kills a bunch of Yakuza as an escape.
- A bunch of dudes with guns shoot up Obengrupenfuhrer (bet I spelled that wrong) and his Nazi friend's car.

There's some stupid randomness that happens in Carson City that doesn't have much to do with either side of the war victors (like the book owner getting hung), but by and large that's it. And here's the thing: of those 4 events listed, the resistance only influenced the very last one... and they were given that intelligence by the Nazis!!

So if Joe doesn't really care about the films themselves, and Juliana doesn't really care about the films themselves, and the resistance DOES care about the films, but only because these films free ten of their people, who in turn... do fucking NOTHING throughout the season, then I must must must return to my original question:

WHY THE FUCK SHOULD WE CARE (about these films)

NimbusD

Why do I, the viewer care about these films? Why does Juliana, one of our two protagonists, care about these films? It's absolutely key to this series and it's a ball that's utterly dropped.

Do these films grant some kind of magical power that allows (or denies) jumping between dimensions? Do these films risk inciting the defeated allies to return to war? Do they do something else? We don't know and we don't find out in the first season. Alright, fine. There are a lot of shows that introduce a mystery in the pilot episode and don't reveal their answers by the end of the first season (smoke monster in Lost, etc).

But we need a reason to care. Our two protagonists are Joe and Juliana. Joe doesn't care about the tapes at all. All Joe cares about is his mission in terms of being a Nazi. Joe discovers a tape under his truck on his way to Carson City. Does he do anything with it? No. Well, he watches it. And then... gives it to the resistance to potentially save his life. And that's the end of that. There's a brief conversation with Juliana about the tapes, but Joe doesn't seem to care that much. When he gets back to Nazi high command, does he really pry into the tapes? Not really. If he does, they tell him to not ask questions. So he doesn't, like a good Nazi. Are we having fun as a viewer through Joe? No. Joe's shit is stupid.

Then there's Juliana. Juliana's motivations as a character are seemingly driven by validating her sister's sacrifice. Is Juliana a member of the resistance? No. Doesn't look like she cares about it much at all in the pilot. She's practicing Japanese self-defense. She's taking time off work. Then her sister dies and Juliana gets the tape and she has to fulfill her sister's goal. For the resistance? No. For her sister. That's appropriate character motivation. So Juliana goes to Carson City and eventually watches her film. And she cries because it looks great. Then she very poorly throws a guy over the dam. Doesn't have anything to do with the film, but I thought I'd mention it because it looked ridiculous. Anyway, Juliana ends up in the same boat as Joe and gives her tape away. When she asks about its importance, she gets no answers. Juliana stops caring much about the films. She starts caring about being in the resistance though. Why?

Well that's a good God damn question when you ask yourself this: What did the resistance DO in the first season? What did they accomplish? What have they done? Here are some events that pertain to the post-war victors being attacked:

- The Japanese Prince is shot and almost killed in public.
- A German provides secret tech to the Japanese. He is later captured, interrogated, then persuaded to assassinate Hitler.
- A Nazi agent (Joe) kills a bunch of Yakuza as an escape.
- A bunch of dudes with guns shoot up Obengrupenfuhrer (bet I spelled that wrong) and his Nazi friend's car.

There's some stupid randomness that happens in Carson City that doesn't have much to do with either side of the war victors (like the book owner getting hung), but by and large that's it. And here's the thing: of those 4 events listed, the resistance only influenced the very last one... and they were given that intelligence by the Nazis!!

So if Joe doesn't really care about the films themselves, and Juliana doesn't really care about the films themselves, and the resistance DOES care about the films, but only because these films free ten of their people, who in turn... do fucking NOTHING throughout the season, then I must must must return to my original question:

WHY THE FUCK SHOULD WE CARE (about these films)

Just finished the season, and while I sort of like the show enough if only because of it's style, you friggen nail the criticisms.

Not just that stuff, but the whole time I'm wondering why Juliana is even with (her boyfriend? Im too lazy to look up the names and this is the kind of show whwere I forget the names like two seconds after I look them up) And why is he still with her? There's never really so much as a scene to make you care about either of them as characters nor as a couple who like actually like each other before they jump into the story, where they continually do things (mostly on juliana's end) that fuck the other person over and don't think twice about it. There's so mch that goes on without any indication for what the motivation in. Sometimes its very thinly implied, like with [fake resistance nazi guy], you think he could possibly be good, but like you don't really know much about him. Even when he goes back home for one episode, you don't really learn much about him that adds to his character in any meaningful way.

Ugh. Without the minfuck ending idk if i'd even be in for the next season.

ivysaur12

Banned
3 episodes in-I really like it. The cinematography is wonderful-some of the best I've seen on television.

Is... it...??? I can think of a dozen shows that are shot better, that don't look like they were shot on a mediocrely-dressed backlot or with lighting that makes everything look like it's covered in vaseline.

There's stuff I like about this show. Art direction and cinematography are not any of those things.

Dalek

Is... it...??? I can think of a dozen shows that are shot better, that don't look like they were shot on a mediocrely-dressed backlot or with lighting that makes everything look like it's covered in vaseline.

There's stuff I like about this show. Art direction and cinematography are not any of those things.

*shrug*

It looks great.

Dalek

The overall tone and pacing basically remains the same for the entirety of the show. I had a hard time binge-watching it, but I finally finished by watching an episode or two a week. I will say, however, that Episode 6 - Three Monkeys - is the highlight and well worth watching.

Just finished this episode tonight. I feel a bit lost on something-my fault as we've had to watch the episodes 30 minutes at a time as free time has been sparse lately. When Juliana returns to the Embassy
and is looking for the "Rose" room-please remind me why she is looking for that room specifically and what its significance means. It looked like a bunch of white people in the embassy listening on phone conversations for Intel. Specially Grasshopper mentions and the Prince. So is this basically the Japanese spying on civilians or the Nazis?

Yay for season 2!

Just finished this episode tonight. I feel a bit lost on something-my fault as we've had to watch the episodes 30 minutes at a time as free time has been sparse lately. When Juliana returns to the Embassy
and is looking for the "Rose" room-please remind me why she is looking for that room specifically and what its significance means. It looked like a bunch of white people in the embassy listening on phone conversations for Intel. Specially Grasshopper mentions and the Prince. So is this basically the Japanese spying on civilians or the Nazis?

It's the former, not the latter. In any case, keep watching.

Binged through this in about a week. Really good stuff. If we are comparing these streaming service exclusives, it's better than anything Netflix has put out in a while and hopefully gets them to raise their game. Rufus Sewell kills it.

Dalek

Binged through this in about a week. Really good stuff. If we are comparing these streaming service exclusives, it's better than anything Netflix has put out in a while and hopefully gets them to raise their game. Rufus Sewell kills it.

You're not kidding. He's phenomenal.

kirblar

I liked this better when it was called
Fringe
. Show is way too dry-same issue i have w House of Cards without the fun parts House of Cards can have.

The leads are the worst part of the show- all the "bad guys" we follow are way more interesting.

jett

D-Member
This show and the setting would be better without the supernatural macguffin. It simply annoyed me the entire time. Everything else is great. Solid first season, but I'm a bit over this kind of bullshit since Lost ended.

Dalek

This show and the setting would be better without the supernatural macguffin. It simply annoyed me the entire time. Everything else is great. Solid first season, but I'm a bit over this kind of bullshit since Lost ended.

Eh-I night see how someone else would think that, but for me that's one of the Strongest draws of the show. I'm really interested in how that plays out.

la_briola

[...] and Sewell his role as Obergruppenführer were my faves. I also liked Norgaard as Wegener. In fact, I loved all the Axis guys. The Amerikans were bland bland bland.

Norgaards German was great until
he was with his wife and children in Berlin.
Killed the moment for me.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
weird... so is
Adolf Elizabeth Hitler
kinda of a good guy? I know in the book
he's in a sanitarium, so this is all new, right?

Armadilo

Banned
Finished it would give it 7/10 had some boring stuff but was fun and cool( thank God for Amazon's 10 second skip feature) weird stuff in the end and will watch season 2

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I think it shows some great attention to detail for a tv show. You can definitely tell there were some budgetary constraints - I specifically remember the scene when Juliana is trying to get back into San Fransisco and they drag everyone off the bus, cut to slightly strange looking street shot, cut to interior of apartment - but the little details like the clothing are top notch.
Something about the filming, and it may be the vaseline effect or backlot feel you are talking about, evokes the (alternative) time period for me at least.

JTripper

Just finished the series and I have mixed feelings. The show started really strong and the whole "who is this man in the high castle and what do these films represent?" was super intriguing, but the middle of the show really slowed down in terms of pacing and the ending, while decent, seemed more important than it actually is. A red herring if you will. As for the visual style of the series, it was really great. The premise was enough to pique my interest but the style really feels and looks like the early 60s but not quite as advanced and colorful as it should be because of the restriction of fascism.

I don't think
Hitler is the "main in the high castle" and I think the alternate 60s SF in the last scene won't be returned to at all
. The
scene with Hitler was pretty cool, but didn't really reveal that much.
I hope that season 2 explores
the weird, multiple realities possibility and the reason why these films are so important (I mean we know what they represent, which is important on its own merit, but where the hell did they come from and how were they created/transported to this alternate reality? Who obtained/transported them? There's so many interesting questions to explore!).
I know exploring this kind of stuff can potentially ruin a story, but I honestly don't see how the story can keep me engaged if it decides to play it safe and have the main characters face another government related threat without at least achieving some answers. The show is built on this specific mystery, and to keep it as a macguffin for its entirety would be a cheap way for us to forcefully engage ourselves with it. Lost sort of did both, but that show starting going off the rails before questions were even beginning to be answered, so it was doomed either way.

I felt like this first season gave us some really cool things to think about and it built the world really well through the alternate 1960s politics and geography and now season 2 should take it a step further and explore something even more ambitious, as these films and the "man in the high castle" mystery suggest. It's one of those few pieces of entertainment that I tend to enjoy almost purely for the plot and premise since I feel the characters are mostly weak.

I just didn't really come around to liking many of the characters. Joe and Julianna felt very plain from the beginning to me and Frank never seemed as important to the story in relation to how much screen time he received. Honestly, the character with the biggest arc and my favorite by far was Oppengruppenfuhrer John. He's the only character that I'm actually extremely curious to see throughout season 2 because I disliked him at first but grew to really love his performance and story arc.
It'll be heartbreaking to see his son's physical decline and the effect it'll have on John in S2 if they decide to show that, which I'm sure they will if they keep the character around.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Up to episode 7.

I like the show, but I can't help but think that I'd like it much more if Joe was killed off off screen and never came back for S2. There's nothing wrong with the actor per se, but his character's motivations are so random they make no. sense. at. all. Then again, that seems to fit the tone of the book, which has some fairly absurd character development.

I also find funny that the axis has the best characters of the show. Not only that, but the Trade Minister, whom used to be my least liked character at first, has become a bit of a personal favourite.

Also, the show looked like shit. I've seen these back alleys and warehouses and stages and woods before. Bleh. There was nothing interesting about its art direction, which should be so important in a show like this! Spend some fucking money, Amazon.[/spoiler].
I disagree. There are times where it's beautiful to look at. More often than not, it's a very aesthetically pleasing show.
kuzpGpY.jpg
hcwZlcf.jpg

gII6e8B.jpg
szK3u0G.jpg

Yr6WRsy.jpg

That doesn't mean it's flawless, though. I have two main gripes about the way it's been shot:

1) While generally very pretty, there's nothing particularly interesting about its cinematography. It kind of falls short of being genuinely great.

2) Sets and locations are gorgeous and fastidiously detailed, but they feel TINY. You rarely get a good sense of scale, so the entire production feels artificially contained at times, particularly due to the recurrence of warehouses, shops and alleyways. You may get a good view at the alternative architecture of the Reich or the East Coast in each chapter, but those are generally very short, one time shots that then are abruptly cut to a number of closely shot scenes. It's as if nothing was ever filmed from more than 10 metres. Oddly enough, this is something shared with Netflix's Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Go figure.

I still have a few episodes to watch, but I think I'm on board for S2. I just hope they address some of my complains, because I get the impression this could be a much better show with just a tiny bit of effort.

Edit: And I'm done. The last three episodes of the show were definitely the best by a wide margin. I loved what was shown of the European Reich and the way they dealt with the Japanese side of the plot, but Joe definitely needs to DIAF.

Binged watched this over the blizzard and loved it. I called it from the beginning that
some sort of alternate reality would take place with the films and that there would be some sort of sci fi element to it. The man in the high castle must be some kind of reality jumper. Loved the scene at the end with Tagoma in our history timeline

Loved making some observations about the alternate 60's like the music, cars and lack of real pop culture.

Calcium

Banned
I just binged through this and I really enjoyed it. It's odd though, I don't think I've ever watched a show where the main characters are the least interesting aspect and still managed to enjoy it. Juliana and Joe are fine and I didn't particularly dislike their actors, but every other character in the show is just so much better. Tagomi and John Smith were my favorite characters, just really well acted by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and Rufus Sewell.

For me the setting of the show was what kept me hooked. The cold war between Japan and Germany was really interesting as well as seeing how the Americans were adapting to the occupation.The second the tapes were introduced I got serious
Fringe
vibes and pretty much knew how the season was going to end. I'm curious to see where the show goes from here, I'm onboard for a second season.

Andvary

I really wanted to like this (I thought the book was OK), but for me it was a disappointing adaptation. I loved 2 or 3 characters but that's it.

JeTmAn81

Managed to get a free Prime trial so I'm finally watching this, on the last episode. All I have to say is this:

Ranger Reich.

Lunar FC

I came in here to rant but you did it for me. Thanks! :)

But I still enjoyed ths show and will be back for Season 2

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Juliana is maybe the most annoying, stupid and selfish characters I've ever seen.

On episode 9 right now.

Her boyfriend, she someone claims to love, sacrificed his sister and his nephew and niece to protect her after she left without explaining why. Now that she's back he gets some money because his life is in danger and instead of leaving, she stays behind, gets captured and now ruins one of their last chances of getting away.

If that's now bad enough, now she's asking her boyfriend to give up the rest of his money so she can rescue some guy she barely knows. Then she agrees to let him go and deliver the money himself to the Yakuza, it's like she's trying to kill Frank so she can fuck Joe. If not by the Yakuza then by fucking him over until the police get him.

This show is fucking dumb.

[edit]

Now Frank is poor, has no more bullets and the Yakuza is going to want to kill him. Good job, Juliana.

[edit]

Episode 10.

She watches a video where Joe kills Frank and then he shows up, beats up Frank, doesn't help Frank out and all she can muster is a monotone 'stop'. She then asks Joe to tell her that it isn't true he's a Nazi, he takes the film away from her and walks away. She just stands there and does nothing. Add useless to the list of shit that's wrong with this character.

[edit]

FInished episode 10.

She just let Joe Nazi run away, someone explain how this makes any goddamn sense. Why would anyone in her position do this? HE'S A GODDAMN NAZI AND YOU JUST LET HIM LEAVE FOR NO REASON

This show is even fucking dumber than it was 2 episodes ago. It's like they tried to make the most frustrating character ever and they succeeded. Everything decision she makes just fucks everyone over and helps a person she knows lied about being a Nazi. Why does she do this? I don't think anyone really knows.

Full season caps lock spoilers:

WHY SHOULD WE CARE ABOUT THESE FILMS? EQUALLY AS IMPORTANT: WHY DO THE MAIN PROTAGONISTS CARE ABOUT THESE FILMS? ADDITIONALLY: IF THESE MAIN PROTAGONISTS CARE ABOUT THESE FILMS, WHY DON'T THEY ASK ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THEM?

Holy GOD I want to punch this show.

For the record, I can see on paper why Joe and Juliana were pursuing the films... Joe because he was instructed by the Nazis to do so, Juliana because her sister died for one of the films, so she wanted to complete her sister's job. Didn't help that Frank cried more for his dead nephew in one scene than Juliana did for her sister in the whole fucking series, but that's beside the point.

Everyone tells them that these films are super important. They'll change the world. Maybe. Or a guy wants them or something. So they watch the film. They see events happening that haven't happened. Maybe the films are fake? Maybe they aren't.

Joe I can see holding back on asking questions. He's a Nazi and has been taught to fall in line and not ask questions (and has been punished for failing to do so). But Juliana. And Frank. And everyone else.

Why the fuck would you not be asking questions? I know the answer to this of course: because the writers of this show don't want to to answer them yet.

But that is shitty fucking writing. Shitty like how the drawing of Juliana gets dropped and picked up by like fifteen fucking characters. It's like that fucking feather in Forest Gump had sex with the Travelocity gnome and had a stupid charcoal drawing baby.

Oh and Juliana left her necklace that Frank made her at his place and then he brought it to the assassination spot and dropped it and the Japanese trade minister (one of the few decent characters in this show, along with Rufus Sewell, and hell lets throw the Hitler actor in the mix too because god forbid the show writes AN INTERESTING ALLIED CHARACTER)... where were we.. oh right, the stupid necklace. So the Japanese Trade Minister finds it and keeps it and Juliana sees it at her job at the Japanese embassy (who did the fucking background check for THAT hire?) and they share a moment and he discloses a secret Japanese mass grave site and he keeps looking at the necklace (which is just some dumb fucking necklace he found on the ground) and at the end it warps him to another dimension possibly.

I'm not going to go into how shallow the majority of the dialogue in this show is.

I love the premise. I thought they did a strong job with world-building (if you ignore the aforementioned stupidity... not even going to comment on that bounty hunter in Carson City). The only characters I didn't hate were Nazis and Japanese characters, which I don't think was the point.

Honest to God, Season 2 needs to open with a graphic saying:

"Joe's boat sank on the way to Mexico and Juliana drowned swimming after it, and the Resistance has given up or something, and Frank is still around but no longer tethered by his idiot partner, and he got DJ Qualls free somehow because sure... now we pick up with our dual protagonists, Rufus Sewell who is suffering an existential crisis due to his son and Hitler, along with the Japanese Trade Minister who has returned to his dimension after suffering what he considers a hallucination, and both men must navigate the deadly political landscape as their countries gear for a potential war... oh, and we're going to introduce a NEW strong female character who the Trade Minister accidentally brought back with him, and she's going to be fucking ROUNDED and INTERESTING as she fights for the truth and asks god damn sensical fucking questions while fighting to survive and fix this new world or SOMETHING TANGIBLE LIKE THAT. Oh and Canada will be mentioned maybe."

This show is like bumping into the most beautiful person you've ever met, who introduces themselves and then says something stupidly racist. I don't know what they were thinking.

I fapped to this post, I couldn't agree more with you.

I pretty much gave up on this show after episode 8. I have no attachment to the characters, and the sci-fi element is the big draw. Reading the impressions here indicate that this isn't addressed at all, and I'm not down for another Lost "the journey is more important than the destination" wankfest.

NR1

Does Amazon no longer stream this show in 4K UHD? I originally watched it this way a while back, but I had a buddy over this weekend to test out 4K content, and Amazon doesn't list this show as UHD anymore... Transparent is still UHD though, so I don't think Amazon is not offering it to me due to a slow connection or something... I can't find anything on a Google search either.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Callum Keith Rennie Joins Amazon’s ‘Man In The High Castle’

Callum Keith Rennie (Into the Forest) has booked a series regular role on the second season of Amazon’s original drama series The Man in the High Castle.

Rennie will play Gary Connell, leader of the West Coast Resistance movement. A former convict, he is now in charge of the sometimes violent counter assaults against the Pacific States and the Reich of the West Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom