• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Announces Ryzen 7800X3D, 7900X3D and 7950X3D: February 2023 launch.

raul3d

I would like to buy the 7950X3D, but somehow I am bothered that only one CCD has the 3D cache. Rationally I know it makes sense, as games (< 8 cores) benefit from the extended cache and applications (> 8 cores) from the higher clock speeds, but somehow it feels like a gimped high end product..

Celcius

°Temp. member
I would like to buy the 7950X3D, but somehow I am bothered that only one CCD has the 3D cache. Rationally I know it makes sense, as games (< 8 cores) benefit from the extended cache and applications (> 8 cores) from the higher clock speeds, but somehow it feels like a gimped high end product..
Agreed, but it still has a ton of cache at the end of the day.

Leonidas

does it manage to beat raptor lake in single and multi-thread performance based on AMD hype slides?
Intel will still have a 10%+ Cinebench 1T lead and Intel will win some other lightly threaded tasks.
Intel could also be the better option for benchmarks which take advantage of faster DDR5

7000X3D will lose performance to the 7000X series in some MT scenarios because of the lower base clocks.

They'll definitely also have some big wins too, as they've shown in their own benchmarks.

rnlval

AMD effectively created its P-cores and E-cores configuration from the common Zen 4 design.

From my 7900X's and 7950X's silicon quality, CCD 0 is at a higher quality when compared to CCD 1, hence there is a minor P-cores and E-cores-like separation.

Windows 11 22H2's multi-thread scheduler usually use CCD 0's CPU cores before CCD 1's.

rnlval

Intel will still have a 10%+ Cinebench 1T lead and Intel will win some other lightly threaded tasks.
Intel could also be the better option for benchmarks which take advantage of faster DDR5

7000X3D will lose performance to the 7000X series in some MT scenarios because of the lower base clocks.

They'll definitely also have some big wins too, as they've shown in their own benchmarks.
FYI, Cinebench R23's AVX usage is limited to AVX-128 bit wide.

I have Blender 3D 3.4 installed.

My LG 4K display has 120 Hz capability, hence anything beyond 120 Hz is useless.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
My men, I will probably upgrade to a 3D version as I desperately need more CPU oomph for my work. My question is with Windows 11, can I just swap the HW and will it work with secure boot? Or do I have to do some steps before to migrate the system over to new system?

Quixz

Do we know why the 7800X3D has such low clocks?
I was looking forward to this CPU but the clock speeds have me a little worried.

Reallink

I was looking forward to this CPU but the clock speeds have me a little worried.

Big cache need big power and get big hot. The 79003D's main core cluster will also be low clocked, the higher advertised speeds are coming from the second cluster without big cache.

Last edited:
It was the same thing for the 5800X3D as well, and despite that it was the gaming king when it launched and still goes toe-to-toe with top end from Intel. As to why, I don't recall other than maybe it makes the cache unstable, don't quote me.

Quixz

Big cache need big power and get big hot. The 79003D's main core cluster will also be low clocked, the higher advertised speeds are coming from the second cluster without big cache.

It was the same thing for the 5800X3D as well, and despite that it was the gaming king when it launched and still goes toe-to-toe with top end from Intel. As to why, I don't recall other than maybe it makes the cache unstable, don't quote me.

Thanks, chaps.

Just a few weeks till we get the benchmark and product.

saintjules

Mm if you already have an AM4 board the 5800x3d is the perfect solution. The performance is good enough to hold the build over for at least another year or two.

Thanks for that. Yeah my board is AM4 (X370 Killer SLI/ac). If it's only another 1-2 years maybe I should get the new chip then?

The way I look at it, it doesn't matter what node is being used, or what is going on under the hood. The only two things I care about is for the price does it perform like it should for the given tasks I care about, and is it stable? If 'yes' to both then for all I care its microscopic hamsters on a spinning wheel.

Trying to make which the preferred CCD is task-dependant (X3D for games, non-X3D for productivity) seems like a OS scheduling disaster in the making for sure. Probably best to always prefer the X3D-chiplet.
ehh now im not sure i want one.

only one chiplet gets the 3d cache, and windows has to choose which one to use... guess ill wait for benchmarks and pricing.

dont like what intel's doing either with their E cores.

ughh

twilo99

Thanks for that. Yeah my board is AM4 (X370 Killer SLI/ac). If it's only another 1-2 years maybe I should get the new chip then?

I guess it depends on what you are looking for... check out some benchmarks and see where its at

From what I can see it does very well compared to the newer chips ovearll.

God damnit they better not delay them or make us wait until the end of February. I'm sitting on a 7700k and 4090 waiting for these chips to release to complete my new build. Already have everything else. Fingers crossed it is even earlier than the 14th lol

diffusionx

Gold Member
Mm if you already have an AM4 board the 5800x3d is the perfect solution. The performance is good enough to hold the build over for at least another year or two.
I might be biased because I put a 5800X3D in my computer but I would hope that it is more than a year or two. It was more or less the top performing gaming chip like 9 months ago. It should take longer than two years to struggle.

Two issues. One, check to see if your board can handle it, it should but probably needs a FW update. Two, supplies of the 5800X3D are running low. AMD dropped the price during BF to clear them out and they sold like crazy.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've actually been getting the itch to upgrade from a 5900x to a 7900x3D. I saw the single core boost to 5.6. Is there anything on all core boost/performance?

I have to figure out on selling this rig minus a GPU as well. Need to offset some of the cost.

Superbean

Neo Member
I've actually been getting the itch to upgrade from a 5900x to a 7900x3D. I saw the single core boost to 5.6. Is there anything on all core boost/performance?

I have to figure out on selling this rig minus a GPU as well. Need to offset some of the cost.
I'm literally in the same boat. Hoping it's a worthwhile upgrade

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm literally in the same boat. Hoping it's a worthwhile upgrade
Went from this to just pulling the trigger on 5200mhz DDR5, 1tb gen 4 nvme, Asus ROG Strix x670E-F board, Corsair 7000D Airflow, 1300w Supernova, 360mm AIO. Already have plenty of more storage and the 4090.

Just need the 7900x3d now.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
rVQNwUp.jpg

Celcius

°Temp. member
We know that the 7800X3D is a single 8c/16t CCX with all the cache, and the 7950X3D is dual 8c/16t CCX's with 1 having the 3d vcache and the other not but being able to hit higher clocks.

With the 7900X3D though, will it be:
1. Dual 6c/12t CCX's with 1 having the extra cache and 1 having the extra clockspeeds, or
2. An 8c/16t CCX with the extra cache, and a 4c/8t CCX with the extra clock speeds?

Having the CCX's be only 6c would be disappointing for gamers right? With option 2, all 3 processors would have an 8c/16t CCX with all the cache and then the extra CCX in the higher tier CPUs is just icing on the cake for highly multithreaded apps.
Does anyone think they would go with option 2 for the 7900X3D?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

Looks like LTT got different results (and a different conclusion) on the 7950X3D than most other outlets...

Top Bottom