• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD MUST Fix FSR Upscaling - DLSS vs FSR vs Native at 1080p

Leonidas

Sad to see that FSR is abysmal at low resolutions.

At this point I wonder if AMD will ever improve FSR2, seems the upscaling aspect hasn't been updated since 2022...

Tell me about it. Look at this quick vid I made. 3840x1600 comparing the various upscaling techniques in their "performance mode" so effectively 1920x800 input resolution.

I start with TAA, then IGTI, XeSS, DLSS.. and then FSR2 at the end. I show how even FSR2 "quality" mode is worse than any of the other solutions in their performance mode. It's absolutely embarrassing in comparison. Keep your eyes on the power cable running across the screen lol..

Last edited:

FireFly

YCoCg

I take it you missed the news that AMD are working on an AI version too? They spoke about it like two weeks ago, many assumed that's what's going to be used in the PS5 Pro too.

edit: Also WHY would you use either at 1080p??? You're reconstructing from 720p at best in Quality Mode and 540p in Performance!!

Last edited:
I take it you missed the news that AMD are working on an AI version too? They spoke about it like two weeks ago, many assumed that's what's going to be used in the PS5 Pro too.

edit: Also WHY would you use either at 1080p??? You're reconstructing from 720p at best in Quality Mode and 540p in Performance!!
I believe they're inquiring about FSR2 specifically because it's already integrated into many games. Obviously AMD will be working on an ML based solution to compete with Nvidia and Intel.. but with regards to FSR2, the hope would be that they could improve the algorithm so that all GPUs/consoles which currently support FSR2 will have access to better reconstruction as a baseline. Nobody knows if AMD's new solution will be supported across all those devices.

Sleepwalker

Leonidas making this thread:

3nzdzd.png

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What makes you think there is improvement to be made? Without AI, maybe there is so much they can do.

YCoCg

Good thing Nvidia put AI hardware all the way back in 2018 so users don't have to upgrade to get AI upscaling.
Unless you want Frame Generation, which was locked behind 4000 series GPU's despite FSR being able to hook in and work on older GPUs.

Also you realise you've put yourself in a position where you can always dunk on them right? If they DON'T go the AI route and continue with software, you'd hate on them for not being as good as DLSS, and yet when they DO go the AI route, you're hating on them for not doing it sooner. A legit damned if they do, damned if they don't, hating is the only option you can express.

yamaci17

I wouldn't use DLSS at 1080p never mind FSR.
if you're someone who is not going to be able to stomach how 1080p dlss quality looks, chances are you won't able to enjoy native 1080p either. dlss is not the problem there, it will look blurry due to the limitations of 1080p output because 1080p itself is extremely blurry. someone who is used 1080p native taa blurriness will have no problem adapting to dlss quality there and enjoy the framerate boost

it is a meaningful feature for gpus ranging from 2060 to 3050, and for some heavy ray tracing scenarios for 3060/3060ti/3070. 3070 can't get 60 fps with ray tracing at native 1080p in cyberpunk with ray traced global illumination, and with DLSS it can.

for some reason 1080p dlss quality analysis creates some new found recognition how blurry it looks. yet somehow people overlook how blurry 1080p itself looks to begin with. dlss can only do as much as output will allow it to do

even in the video dlss quality most of the time matches native 1080p clarity. games that do not achieve that are the ones that use broken LODs (ac mirage) or uses sharpening for native and not uses sharpening for DLSS, making it an unfair comparison

Last edited:

Leonidas

you realise you've put yourself in a position where you can always dunk on them right? If they DON'T go the AI route and continue with software, you'd hate on them for not being as good as DLSS, and yet when they DO go the AI route, you're hating on them for not doing it sooner. A legit damned if they do, damned if they don't, hating is the only option you can express.
That's AMDs fault for being the 3rd GPU manufacturer, behind Nvidia & Intel, to inlcude AI upscaling.

I'm not hating. I feel bad for the AMD GPU owners who may have to upgrade yet again, just to get a feature that already exists on GPUs as far back as 2018.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The interesting thing about the PS5 Pro leak is Sony making their own neural accelerator based upscaling, it's probably based on the core of FSR, but FSR doesn't use any sort of neural engine. So I wonder if Sony wasn't satisfied with AMD's.

Playing Starfield on PC at launch with FSR on at 1440 was when I truly noticed how shit it was in comparison to DLSS. The amount of ghosting was so distracting that I just accepted the lower framerates of playing the game with it turned off.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Leonidas being a giant NVIDIA Stan doesn't change the fact that FSR is not good enough, DLSS is the superior tech and AMD have admitted as much by announcing they are working on AI upscaling.

FSR was always just a hastily thrown together stop-gap alternate to DLSS, it's got some uses but it doesn't have much of a future in its current form.

Crayon

A friend was just getting back into PC and asked where and and Nvidia are at these days. I described it that you get good deals on year-old amd cards, but Nvidia has way better tech and upscaling that makes up a tier of difference, so it's not as straightforward as it used to be. Probably safer going Nvidia except for Linux or a killer deal on an amd card for e-sports use.

StereoVsn

At this point I wonder if AMD will ever improve FSR2, seems the upscaling aspect hasn't been updated since 2022...

At the end I think they need dedicated AI compute units in the card. So maybe next gen with next gen of cards, but there is probably only so much you can do with a generalized approach.

Buggy Loop

A friend was just getting back into PC and asked where and and Nvidia are at these days. I described it that you get good deals on year-old amd cards, but Nvidia has way better tech and upscaling that makes up a tier of difference, so it's not as straightforward as it used to be. Probably safer going Nvidia except for Linux or a killer deal on an amd card for e-sports use.

Especially since RTX have very good improvements in drivers

This site revisited the 4090 versus 7900 XTX with new drivers

– 20 games tested with rasterizing, 10 games with ray tracing
– 26 GPUs tested, but focus is on 4090 vs. 7900 XTX (including perf/watt and perf/Euro)
– Almost no CPU limitation due to potent infrastructure and GPU-heavy scenes
– Both IHVs sport more performance than at launch (~same level of benefit)
– Interesting per-game and overall analysis shows single results and relative perf
RTX 4090 is up to 33 % faster in RZ and up to 89 % at RT (both 4K "Index")

4090 vs 7900 XTXDec 2022March 2024
Raster 1440p+19%+23%
Raster 4k+28%+33%
RT "performance index overall" (launch review didn't have average for resolutions and I ain't doing the math myself)+53%+69%
Cyberpunk 4k Raster+5%+16%
Cyberpunk 4k RT (with FSR UQ in 2022 and upscaling Q in 2024)+110%+118%

Nvidia FineWine™

Sorry AMD, you lost the title.

This was the main reason why I choose NVIDIA two years ago. Wish AMD and Intel can someday catch up, so we finally have some real competition at reasonable prices.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Especially since RTX have very good improvements in drivers

This site revisited the 4090 versus 7900 XTX with new drivers

– 20 games tested with rasterizing, 10 games with ray tracing
– 26 GPUs tested, but focus is on 4090 vs. 7900 XTX (including perf/watt and perf/Euro)
– Almost no CPU limitation due to potent infrastructure and GPU-heavy scenes
– Both IHVs sport more performance than at launch (~same level of benefit)
– Interesting per-game and overall analysis shows single results and relative perf
RTX 4090 is up to 33 % faster in RZ and up to 89 % at RT (both 4K "Index")

4090 vs 7900 XTXDec 2022March 2024
Raster 1440p+19%+23%
Raster 4k+28%+33%
RT "performance index overall" (launch review didn't have average for resolutions and I ain't doing the math myself)+53%+69%
Cyberpunk 4k Raster+5%+16%
Cyberpunk 4k RT (with FSR UQ in 2022 and upscaling Q in 2024)+110%+118%

Nvidia FineWine™

Sorry AMD, you lost the title.
A 4090 stomps all other Nvidia cards as well. A 7900 is in between a 4090 and 4080 not a direct 4090 competitor.

What I'd like to know is why the hell are so many developers still using it? It's their job to know what works well and what doesn't. Alan Wake 2's beautiful visuals are completely ruined on console due to the awful fsr2 implementation.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What I'd like to know is why the hell are so many developers still using it? It's their job to know what works well and what doesn't. Alan Wake 2's beautiful visuals are completely ruined on console due to the awful fsr2 implementation.
It's better than the alternatives available to them?

Buggy Loop

A 4090 stomps all other Nvidia cards as well. A 7900 is in between a 4090 and 4080 not a direct 4090 competitor.

Still to showcase the driver improvements, it's widening the gap, that's the gist of it.

And I was shit on in the RDNA 3 thread for the 7900 XTX unveiling for telling them that it's not a 4090 competitor. Repeatedly. Those "up to" figures and napkin maths back then made a whole bunch of peoples on this very forum thinking that the 7900 XTX was within spitting distance. I like to still remind peoples how wrong they were.

phant0m

Yet again I maintain that AMD is at fault for ruining this gen from a visual/performance perspective. The hardware is trash at RT and trash at upscaling.

Far more excited to see what Nintendo can do with Switch 2 + DLSS than a PS5 “Pro”

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yet again I maintain that AMD is at fault for ruining this gen from a visual/performance perspective. The hardware is trash at RT and trash at upscaling.

Far more excited to see what Nintendo can do with Switch 2 + DLSS than a PS5 “Pro”
Yeah because Nvidia would have been jamming 4090 performance into a $500 console.

Top Bottom