• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon 300 series (possible) specs

Kezen

Banned
I thought the liquid cooling part was known. I wonder what Nvidia will have against the 390X. A GM200 might not be enough and they must not forget about the 390.

Serandur

You've completely drunk the Kool-Aid, haven't you?

What Kool-Aid? The whole ordeal where Nvidia released their mid-range Maxwell chip for $550-600 and tried marketing it on reduced power consumption while it barely outperformed my over-a-year-old overclocked 780 (or a 290X for that matter, particularly at higher resolutions)?

The only Kool-Aid here is Nvidia selling a mid-range GM204 for high-end prices while GM200, a real high-end successor to GK110, was already in production. Simultaneously, as to the return of my 970s, there's the VRAM issue Nvidia swept under a rug. I've been waiting for a real performance increase for quite some time, the 900 series failed miserably at it. What Kool-Aid is there in being excited about 2015 actually seeing some GPU performance progress? The leaks are rather absolute. We know GM200 is out there, we know it'll waste GM204. Additionally, we know Fiji is similarly powerful.

FLAguy954

What Kool-Aid? The whole ordeal where Nvidia released their mid-range Maxwell chip for $550-600 and tried marketing it on reduced power consumption while it barely outperformed my over-a-year-old overclocked 780 (or a 290X for that matter, particularly at higher resolutions)?

The only Kool-Aid here is Nvidia selling a mid-range GM204 for high-end prices while GM200, a real high-end successor to GK110, was already in production. Simultaneously, as to the return of my 970s, there's the VRAM issue Nvidia swept under a rug. I've been waiting for a real performance increase for quite some time, the 900 series failed miserably at it. What Kool-Aid is there in being excited about 2015 actually seeing some GPU performance progress? The leaks are rather absolute. We know GM200 is out there, we know it'll waste GM204. Additionally, we know Fiji is similarly powerful.

Yep. GPUs are poised to be exciting as hell this year. I hope the successor to the 290 (non X) is the upgrade I hope it'll be.

Hubble

ugh ikr... and I really want an upgrade from my GTX 670 sometime in June/July.
GM200 from NVidia probably isn't coming before then. All I can hope for is that the AMD stuff comes out, shits all over GTX 980/970, and NVidia prices drop.
Staying with NVidia personally.

Why set a time table? What is demanding an upgrade from your GTX670? With Windows 10 and DirectX12 around the corner, you're better off waiting as long possible. Some GPUs are claimed to support DX12 now but no doubt, there will be more releases of video cards to correspond with DX12 as the Direct X 12 cards.

As far as the 970 and 980, it is surely a stop gap for the year for Nvidia to profit off of, especially when they purposely limited the 970.

riflen

I don't think a the GM200 will outperform 390x, it will still be using GDDR5.

Higher memory bandwidth is only going to help in memory bandwidth limited scenarios. HBM is hopefully a great improvement and useful going forwards as GPUs become faster and hit the limits of GDDR5, but most of the time you're shader limited.

The first design featuring HBM is not going to be massively faster overall than a GPU of similar ability paired with a GDDR5 interface.
We'll need this interface though, so good on AMD for pushing things forward.

Nachtmaer

I don't think a the GM200 will outperform 390x, it will still be using GDDR5.

I'm not so sure about that. Rumors so far say that the 390X will be around 550mm² and GM200 600mm² from the leaked die shot. Obviously you can't base performance on just die sizes, but there might be a few more reasons. A couple of weeks ago I read some speculation about Nvidia cutting down on double precision units for GM200, possibly turning it a bigger GM104. Less DP saves up space to cram in more "regular" shaders. It also falls in line with them recently introducing a respun GK110 for their Teslas (GK210). Why else would they redo an old chip for HPC cards when a new chip is basically around the corner? WCCFTech and 3DCenter also wrote about this rumor here. It might seem like a strange move from Nvidia, but it kinda makes sense to me.

TL;DR: GM200 is pretty much confirmed to be bigger and if they're really cutting down on DP, my bet is that it will be faster.

I guess we'll know soon enough how things turn out.

The promise of the first significant jump in gpu performance in many many years (instead of always just 20-25 percent boosts) is exciting.

Don't let us down AMD

AmyS

Rumor:

Most AMD Radeon 300 series based on older GCN architecture

Only Fiji is an all-new chip

While we are getting close to the launch of AMD's new Radeon 300-series lineup, a new report suggest that most of the upcoming Radeon 300 series will be based on older GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 architecture while Fiji GPU will actuallly be the only new chip.

A new report from Sweclockers.com, suggest that most of the new Radeon 300-series will actually be a refresh of the existing lineup with higher clocks, and possibly a couple of feature updates, but still be based on older Graphics Core Next 1.1 and Graphics Core Next 1.2 architecture. While we know that codename Grenada GPU, which is the Hawaii GPU refresh, will be pretty much identical with higher clocks, it is apparently the rest of the lineup is no different.

The only true new chip is the Fiji GPU, which should be the base of both Radeon R9 390X and R9 390 graphics cards. While AMD did not officially confirm the specifications, it is widely rumored that we are looking at a GPU with 4096 Stream Processors and 4GB of new High Bandwidth 2.5D memory from SK Hynix with 4096-bit memory inteface. The Fiji GPU should be based on the new GCN 1.3 architecture and will be a part of AMD's rumored codename Bermuda dual-GPU Radeon R9 395X2 graphics card.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphi...on-300-series-based-on-older-gcn-architecture

Really hoping to AMD to drop the atom bomb.

This will be interesting. If the card will be a ultra performer (monster card + dx12) i cant wait to see Nvidia´s response.

wachie

This is doing the rounds in the chinese circles

152940ebvvkwco1bqfcwq3tu5m.jpg

R9 380 on the left (based on Hawaii) and R9 390 (based on Fiji) on the right.

Hip Hop

Any dates as to when we can expect these cards?

I've been waiting on my integrated since I sold my GPU to upgrade, but I really thought we would see something before GTA V was out.

Was waiting to see what AMD had, or maybe go with Nvidia if a price shakeup happened.

Seems like I just may have to grab whatever is out right now.

belmonkey

Any dates as to when we can expect these cards?

I've been waiting on my integrated since I sold my GPU to upgrade, but I really thought we would see something before GTA V was out.

Was waiting to see what AMD had, or maybe go with Nvidia if a price shakeup happened.

Seems like I just may have to grab whatever is out right now.

I think a few places have been suggesting it would release around Computex in June.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43945/amd-unveil-next-gen-radeon-r9-390x-computex-june/index.html

I wish amd announced their 390x before nvidia announced their stupid titan card...

Because from the 390 specs it'll be similar in die space and performance to the titan x and absolutely crush it in memory bandwidth. Now watch amd price it at something stupid like 750 euros against the titan x and watch people justify that price by comparing it to that pos card branding.

I think a few places have been suggesting it would release around Computex in June.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43945/amd-unveil-next-gen-radeon-r9-390x-computex-june/index.html

I wish amd announced their 390x before nvidia announced their stupid titan card...

Because from the 390 specs it'll be similar in die space and performance to the titan x and absolutely crush it in memory bandwidth. Now watch amd price it at something stupid like 750 euros against the titan x and watch people justify that price by comparing it to that pos card branding.
Gosh, I likewise hope AMD doesnt sit on their laurels here. Really.

Considering replacing my 7850 because of fan noise. After looking at what's out right now, it's just sad. After so many years, there still isn't a decent replacement for it that provides the same performance at low wattage as that. The 265 is just a tweaked version with higher power demands.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the 3xx cards will bring something decent for the mid-range cards. A more power efficient r7 265 would be enough for me.

jfoul

Yuck. I hope AMD launches before June. I think the R9 300 series is almost ready to go, but they're waiting to clear stock in the retail channel. Nvidia can just stick with the GTX960/970/980/Titan X until June, and release a cut down Titan at the R9 300 release.

"Just to be clear, I saw a demonstration of Showdown running on the Oculus Rift Crescent Bay, being powered by an unannounced Radeon R9 flagship ultra-enthusiast product. Those words, in their exactness, were told to me officially, as in on the record, by AMD.

Showdown is an immersive experience where a giant robot is wreaking havoc on a city, causing flying debris (at you, around you), a flying car with a person inside, and explosions in 360 degrees, among many pieces of action. I saw Showdown last at CES in early January, and then it wasn't running on this AMD hardware (so presumably Nvidia's). I obviously cannot recall the nuances of that demo earlier this year for precise comparison, but I can say that the performance of this demonstration was remarkably responsive. I tried everything I could to throw off head tracking and introduce latency and I could not, which is to say I didn't experience any latency. The environment is incredibly rich in texture, lighting and immersion. On the other hand, at this point the demonstration is relatively short."

JayDub

That is a terrible release cycle for AMD. So GTX 970 and 980 are on the market in September and gets to dominate for 9 whole freaking months unchallenged (3 months short of a year), then AMD will release their 390 in June, with a 20-30% increase in performance. 3 months later, the GTX 1080 will release and be 20-30% higher than the 390.

So so dumb. This is why AMD's market share sucks. You'd think they get their shit together.

That is a terrible release cycle for AMD. So GTX 970 and 980 are on the market in September and gets to dominate for 9 whole freaking months unchallenged (3 months short of a year), then AMD will release their 390 in June, with a 20-30% increase in performance. 3 months later, the GTX 1080 will release and be 20-30% higher than the 390.

So so dumb. This is why AMD's market share sucks. You'd think they get their shit together.

20-30 percent? I thought all the leaks and rumors put it at 50 percent faster

Seanspeed

Banned
Considering replacing my 7850 because of fan noise. After looking at what's out right now, it's just sad. After so many years, there still isn't a decent replacement for it that provides the same performance at low wattage as that. The 265 is just a tweaked version with higher power demands.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the 3xx cards will bring something decent for the mid-range cards. A more power efficient r7 265 would be enough for me.
GTX960 has only very marginally higher power demand than the 7850 and while not a quantum leap in performance, is still a fair step up if your main concern is very low power requirements.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-960-gaming-oc-review,7.html

Ryne

With the Titan X being announced, I don't know how competitively priced this would be. Hopefully it will be a viable alternative for gamers.

spared

Only reason I look forward to AMD is because it means NVidia will respond with their own GPUs, anyone that values their time and patience knows AMD drivers are a joke

Just wow. I have been using AMD cards since they were ATI cards, and I can tell you that some of the drivers they can come up with were like installing a brand new card in my PC. Just saying. ^_^

I know this may sound crazy, but do you think AMD would ever openly support G-sync as well? Or is that basically impossible?

Sorry, just thinking of ways they could make themselves more viable.

I know this may sound crazy, but do you think AMD would ever openly support G-sync as well? Or is that basically impossible?
G-Sync is proprietary, so yes, it's impossible to 'openly' support it.
But only Nvidia is stopping Nvidia from supporting VESA AdaptiveSync, the open standard for variable refresh rates.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The open standard adaptive sync is inevitably going to be used by AMD and Nvidia. Nvidia isn't going to try to force an extra piece of specialized hardware when they can just use their branding as a certification instead.

wachie

Sorry, just thinking of ways they could make themselves more viable.
Viable should be used with Gsync + the proprietary module, which will soon go away.

Chobel

What the hell is DirectX 12_Tier 3? It wasn't mentioned in any MS GDC events.

And "First ever GPU designed for VR immersion"? That sounds like PR bullshit.

I'll never buy a AMD card but if this forces out the cut down titan (Ala 780) sooner Im all for it. Also there is a typo in that pic, fake as hell

Locuza

I guess only the AMD pr department knows, what DX12_Tier3 is.
Probably they just trying to say, that they support the spec to its limit.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
O_O High HBM bandwidth AND 8GB memory!? Is that scan fake!? I thought HBM was impossible to use 8GB with first run!?

badb0y

I get the feeling that this thing is gonna be eating some major wattage. Exciting times though. I'm getting tired of rebrands and incremental upgrades. Remember when the 5850/5870 came out and kicked all kinds of ass?

The 390X is expected to be liquid cooled.

Top Bottom