• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon Fury X review thread

AP90

Boom.. There it is..

So it performs pretty much the same as nvidia 980ti (once there drivers are up to snuff), but has 2gig less of memory. Its good to see AMD starting to be competitive again. Looks like HBM2 is going to be an awesome Gen especially with the upcoming die shrinks.

I think if they would have had 6 or 8gigs of men, it would have been more of a show stopper IMO.

Interesting. I'm reading the Guru3D review first, as I tend to like their write-ups.

in GTA5, the FuryX loses to the 980TI at 2560x1440.

But comes VERY close at 4K

Is that the case in most reviews?

All in all, it's not the beast I expected it to be... and especially not at that price.

I think you are looking at 980 results not Ti version

I see 74 for Fury X vs 85 980 Ti at 1440 GTA chart

tuxfool

Banned
NVIDIA did not develop the game/engine or port it to PC dude...they are a partner with them but they are not responsible for the quality of the product. Use some common sense.

With gameworks features on or off it doesn't matter the PC port is garbage.

The way I see it, is that they're developing all these wonderful gameworks effects in the game (if I'm reading it correctly). Great, but then have no notion of how the game is developing, it kind of sullies them by association. Their logo is plastered all over the game, they talk about their collaboration extensively, it kind of means that they have some stake in the outcome of the game.

This differs from pure middleware suppliers like SpeedTree, in that Nvidia is also bundling and promoting the game, in effect saying "we Nvidia think this is a good game to show off our product".

tl;dr. I don't hold them responsible, but I don't think it makes them look good either.

Why did PC Gamer use the EVGA superclocked 980 TI in their review? That seems... a bit unfair.

I think you are looking at 980 results not Ti version

No? What I said was accurate. The 980TI wins at 2560x1440 by a large margin, but only wins by a single FPS in 4K.

k4n3

Banned
sucks linus tech tips got a DOA card.... but at the end of the day fury x and 980ti are the same price for the same performance so i guess it just boils down to witch team you support or drivers you prefer

Looks like the hardware is there though some of the 1080p performance is disappointing. Some weird benchmarks on games like BF4 though, thinking its probably a launch drjver issue.

Randam

Boom.. There it is..

So it performs pretty much the same as nvidia 980ti, but has 2gig less of memory. Its good to see AMD starting to be competitive again. Looks like HBM2 is going to be an awesome Gen especially with the upcoming die shrinks.

I think if they would have had 6 or 8gigs of men, it would have been more of a show stopper IMO.
they optimised memory usage pretty good.
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-06/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-test/11/

Seanspeed

Banned
That maybe so but these tests and comparisons are a bit suspicious to me, also why quote a german site?
Of course they're suspicious to you, because they prove your accusations unfounded. How convenient, as always.

Why quote a German site? Oh my god, ze Germans, not credible!

Because it's a fantastic fucking site that does some of the most comprehensive reviews and benchmarks out there.

Gritesh

I bought it from tiger direct its 150 cheaper than anywhere else in Canada making it also 150 dollars cheaper than the 980ti non reference

Since I needed to get a new monitor going with freesync I'm also saving 200 over going with gsync so for the experience in total its about 350 dollars less

derFeef

That maybe so but these tests and comparisons are a bit suspicious to me, also why quote a german site? I have no problem with their frametime graphs but I see some inconsistencies. I noticed that the 8GB 390 wins quite a few tests at 4k but they use the 4GB version of the 380 against the 980ti and the Fury X in their frametime tests.

If this is truly pointing out that the 4GB of HBM may not be enough at 4K, then I think AMD squandered an opportunity here, but it's still early days to make that call based on AMD's less than stellar optimized drivers at launch and the whole overclocking fiasco. Why aren't these watercooled GPU's overclocking better? That still remains a mystery.

Also why are some sites comparing SC 980ti's to vanilla furies, don't they know that the Fury has issues with overclocking atm.....

What's with the german hate? lol. computerbase is a fantastic site, very credible and detailed.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Well there is a precedent for AMD drivers getting better over time compared to Nvidias
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1058295

All those results tell me is that AMD truly does suck at Driver development, I mean 2 years to get the drivers to realise the potential performance of a card, that's some quality bullshit, not something to be lauded at all.

It's not that the drivers improve, it's that they suck so badly at first that they can only improve, and it shouldn't take two years to get there,

LordOfChaos

Cool. More interested in dat nano though, depending on the price. What did they say, it would be 80-90% of the Furys performance or something like that?

Mr Swine

Banned
Sad that is on par with the 980 Ti on most parts but won't the HBM advantage disappear next year when Nvidia jumps on that train?

Zalusithix

There is no reason to doubt their methodologies or reviews. They are very good at what they do.

Why a german site? I live in germany, speak german, and they happen to be one of the best.

Other than that I usually read Guru3D or PcPer.

Hell, the better question is why not a German site? I don't speak any German, yet I still go there to look at benchmarks. If you know what you're looking for, the benchmarks are self explanatory. It's not like Germans are any less capable at benchmarking.

Larogue

No way its gonna sell at that price. With the 980ti around at the exact price.

Needs to be less than $600 or not gonna move off shelves.

pestul

Everybody has a different benchmark. I'm going crazy here. Tech power up, 3dguru and Toms lead me to the fury X while eveeryody else leads me to the 980ti.

fuck!
I just checked Techpowerups performance summary at each resolution and I don't know what would lead anyone to that conclusion. Even excluding the abysmal Project Cars performance numbers (which they did), the 980Ti was beating Fury X at all resolutions on average. That's bad.

Xyber

Hell, the better question is why not a German site? I don't speak any German, yet I still go there to look at benchmarks. If you know what you're looking for, the benchmarks are self explanatory. It's not like Germans are any less capable at benchmarking.

I don't know man, those Germans can be very suspicious.

Gritesh

I feel like tiger directs pricing is the correct spot for this card to be. 150 dollars cheaper than the 980ti makes this a killer deal in my opinion especially when the cost of entry into adaptive sync tech is 200 dollars cheaper than gsync

viveks86

Isn't that a dual GPU card?

For some reason I've never ever been interested in those.

It is. Would be interesting to see it's temperature profile, performance and cost. If it has existing cards beat on all of them, I see no reason to discount it. Though given the price of Fury X, I'm not too optimistic

Seanspeed

Banned
Sad that is on par with the 980 Ti on most parts but won't the HBM advantage disappear next year when Nvidia jumps on that train?
Well theoretically, AMD will have a year's head start in optimizing drivers for it, so could have something of an advantage, but yea, otherwise they'll both be on HBM2. I think next generation will be a race to who can get a production run of 14/16nm cards first.

FLAguy954

x-posting from the other thread

So all AMD has to do is optimize for lower resolutions? Because the Fury X is losing to the 980 Ti by a good margin at resolutions lower than 1440p.

If that VisionTek Fury X price holds up ($550), I'll still get one (especially now seeing where it stands, it is the correct price for a Fury X imo)

Edit: damn, even the 295x2 kills it whenever Crossfire is working.

This sucks, the lack of a ROPs increase must really be hurting the scores.

x3sphere

I feel like tiger directs pricing is the correct spot for this card to be. 150 dollars cheaper than the 980ti makes this a killer deal in my opinion especially when the cost of entry into adaptive sync tech is 200 dollars cheaper than gsync

I agree, it's more of a 980 competitor than 980 Ti competitor.

Unfortunately that Tiger Direct listing just seems to be an error I tried adding it to cart and got a $679 price.

tuxfool

Banned
Isn't that a dual GPU card?

For some reason I've never ever been interested in those.

For good reason. Xfire (and even Sli sometimes) is a really dicey proposition and their future is even more uncertain at this point due to the newer APIs. Once a trend becomes clear in a few years (possibly VR driven) then such cards may have some value.

pj

Banned
x-posting from the other thread

Wouldn't lack of rops result in the opposite of what we're seeing? Good at 1080p and bad at 4k?

From what I've seen, the rops in fuji are the same as in the 285, which only had 32 but had a higher fillrate than the 64 rops in the 290x

Boom.. There it is..

So it performs pretty much the same as nvidia 980ti (once there drivers are up to snuff), but has 2gig less of memory. Its good to see AMD starting to be competitive again. Looks like HBM2 is going to be an awesome Gen especially with the upcoming die shrinks.

Problem is, being "pretty much the same" is not good enough for a company with only 30% of the market. They need home runs that shift the meta away from Nvidia and Intel and onto them. Treading water will not work for them. Especially when Nvidia enjoys the perception of better game support from developers, better driver support, better multi-gpu support, and better optimizations.

I was really hoping AMD would make a big splash here either by soundly beating Nvidia's offerings or equalling them at a significantly lower price point. They've done neither as of today.

x3sphere

No, it's really not. Not unless you're at 1080p, where it's still clearly preferable to a 980. For those at higher resolutions, it's clearly a close runner with the 980Ti.

I'm at 1440p, and the HardOCP review shows a 15-20 % advantage for the 980 Ti.

Things get worse for the Fury when you compare to OC to OC. I haven't seen many benches cover this yet, but here is one from Sweclockers:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37507613&postcount=187

There is a 40% difference OC to OC in a few games there, 24% on average.

Gritesh

I agree, it's more of a 980 competitor than 980 Ti competitor.

Unfortunately that Tiger Direct listing just seems to be an error I tried adding it to cart and got a $679 price.

Looks like your right I got my order in before the price change but it appears they aren't going to honor it.

I'm at 1440p, and the HardOCP review shows a 15-20 % advantage for the 980 Ti.

Things get worse for the Fury when you compare to OC to OC. I haven't seen many benches cover this yet, but here is one from Sweclockers:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37507613&postcount=187

There is a 40% difference OC to OC in a few games there, 24% on average.

OC to OC comparison at this point is not really valid as those are voltage unlocked OC vs stock voltage. Of course extra voltage will unlock significant headroom.

Also several reviews like guru3d have them almost identical in 1440p with the exception of gta v and bf4.

Seanspeed

Banned
Problem is, being "pretty much the same" is not good enough for a company with only 30% of the market. They need home runs that shift the meta away from Nvidia and Intel and onto them. Treading water will not work for them. Especially when Nvidia enjoys the perception of better game support from developers, better driver support, better multi-gpu support, and better optimizations.

I was really hoping AMD would make a big splash here either by soundly beating Nvidia's offerings or equalling them at a significantly lower price point. They've done neither as of today.
Thinking they could blow Nvidia away on performance was never going to happen. AMD spend less on R&D and both companies are probably pushing what's possible with 28nm at this point. Even still, AMD brought out a reference water cooler plus moved forward with HBM, trying to at least advance the game some and get performance where most buyers in this range will want it.

It's possible that with a bit of time, this actually eeks out over the 980Ti, if we're just talking reference designs, but it's lack of overclocking potential may hurt it.

Still a good effort, I think. AMD is always playing underdog in this game, so to even stay as close as they are is respectable in my opinion. I wouldn't tell somebody *not* to buy this card if it fit their needs somehow or anything.

I just think $50 less and it would have done more damage.

Justinh

Hmmm, seems like a pretty good card. Lots of power, cool, neat and nice package.

It's just not enough for me to leave the nvidia system, though.
It's have to be a lot cheaper for me to jump at a comparable performance card as the 980 ti. I'm not the biggest fan
huehue
of the need for another spot for the rad, either.

When I do "step my game up" from SLI 970s, it'll most likely be to a 980 ti, now.

Top Bottom