• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon RX 6600 Review Thread.

Leonidas

TLDW

~same price as the RTX 3060
~lower performance than the RTX 3060 at 1080p
~even lower performance vs. the RTX 3060 at higher resolutions
~4GB less VRAM than 3060
~low overclocking headroom
~low power consumption
~worst hardware RT desktop GPU in existence
~terrible value even at MSRP, abysmal value after scalper pricing

Sad to see AMD come out with another card that fails to match the bar Nvidia set 8 months ago...

Last edited:
Just get a 3090 on Finance or something. Not sure why people pay decent money out right for shit performance.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
In a normal time, this should cost almost half the MSRP. But it will end up costing almost double.
This is really just for gamers that are completely desperate for some GPU to play games.
nVidia was really pushing up prices, but AMD just ran with this tactic.

Ellery

I can't even make fun of those cards, because it is a tragedy for PC gamers all over the world.
Not only are there fewer PC exclusive games than ever before, but things that are releasing on PC are 5 year old Playstation games, Rockstar remasters that are also coming to Switch/Mobile, Fifa 2022 doesn't even feature the next gen stuff that XSX/PS5 get, other console ports, Denuvo infested games that reduce performance and loading times, best PC game in 10 years releasing on a VR headset and Blizzard, the grand majestic PC developer/publisher is bringing all their games to console as well and they are in complete shambles at the moment and haven't released anything worthwhile in no idea how long.
The one game I was really looking forward to to play on PC was Cyberpunk 2077, but I was so disappointed that I actually sold not only one, but two graphics cards.

At some point a card that is as expensive as an entire console, but is significantly slower than the Xbox Series X, and not even good enough for RayTracing at all or even good enough to properly play 1080p 60fps I have to ask myself why even bother.

winjer

Gold Member
Just consider that this card will be more expensive on stores, than a PS5, while being less powerful.
And not having SSD, CPU, OC, etc....

MikeM

This kind of shit is why I'm waiting for RDNA3/40 series to build my gaming PC. Its pretty insulting.

Skifi28

Never in my life did I ever imagine that saving the GPU market would be up to Intel. We're screwed, aren't we?

Last edited:

FireFly

We need to see a comparison at street prices, since MSRP's are practically meaningless in a world where the 3060 is selling for $800+ on Newegg.

SantaC

Still not too great for raytracing and ML though are they?

I like AMD but if there is even a slither of a chance of intel competing with them on their first main discreet set of gaming gpus it will be even more salt in the wound.
I have a 6800XT and it runs most games at 4K and 60 fps at ultra settings. Saying it is a shit card is false and a bad take.

manfestival

Still not too great for raytracing and ML though are they?

I like AMD but if there is even a slither of a chance of intel competing with them on their first main discreet set of gaming gpus it will be even more salt in the wound.
Ray Tracing still isn't even in a state where it matters all that much. Rasterization is still king(which the 6800xt and 6900xt are beasts at). So if anything, AMD is good where it counts the most.
Intel have already come out stating that they are targeting the 3070 and under in performance. This means the highest end of GPUs(and most sought after) will be a non issue for Nvidia/AMD.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have a 6800XT and it runs most games at 4K and 60 fps at ultra settings. Saying it is a shit card is false and a bad take.

Yeah, fair play...apologies for the hyperbole. It was a shit take.

But yeah, the 6700 XT and below is not too great. Especially 6600 XT / 6600.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Have you tried switching ray tracing on?

I kid I kid, yeah the AMD High end was solid this gen with a few exceptions. I'm happy I got my RTX 3080 though... but for people hoping for a more value build, yeah its slim pickings indeed, as good as the 3060 and 3070 are.... getting one of those cards is well... yeah.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I can't even make fun of those cards, because it is a tragedy for PC gamers all over the world.
Not only are there fewer PC exclusive games than ever before, but things that are releasing on PC are 5 year old Playstation games, Rockstar remasters that are also coming to Switch/Mobile, Fifa 2022 doesn't even feature the next gen stuff that XSX/PS5 get, other console ports, Denuvo infested games that reduce performance and loading times, best PC game in 10 years releasing on a VR headset and Blizzard, the grand majestic PC developer/publisher is bringing all their games to console as well and they are in complete shambles at the moment and haven't released anything worthwhile in no idea how long.
The one game I was really looking forward to to play on PC was Cyberpunk 2077, but I was so disappointed that I actually sold not only one, but two graphics cards.

At some point a card that is as expensive as an entire console, but is significantly slower than the Xbox Series X, and not even good enough for RayTracing at all or even good enough to properly play 1080p 60fps I have to ask myself why even bother.
There are gazillions of games releasing on pc only. If you care about only AAA, your loss.

Multi platform games are still far better on pc at IQ, performance, gameplay/controls, mods, graphics and cost the same or less...

The only fucked up thing right now is GPU price.

Last edited:

JCK75

I guess the only thing that could make this a success is if it's readily available at the suggested retail price..

SantaC

Including RT on? Metro, Watch Dogs, Control, etc???
No there are many many more games than those. Right now I ran Tales of Arise buttery smooth in 4K @ 60fps at highest settings. Not being able to run RT doesnt mean it is shit. Get some perspective.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No there are many many more games than those. Right now I ran Tales of Arise buttery smooth in 4K @ 60fps at highest settings. Not bring able to run RT doesnt mean it is shit. Get some perspective.
pGJbML3.jpg

manfestival

No there are many many more games than those. Right now I ran Tales of Arise buttery smooth in 4K @ 60fps at highest settings. Not being able to run RT doesnt mean it is shit. Get some perspective.
It is just people fanboying for team green. They have no real perspective or actual understanding of how the whole thing works. Most of the time people won't even know what rasterization is. For example:

I don't normally post Linus but some people will watch that over GN or HU. In here the 6600 came out at 100% parity to the 3060 in their testing.

I guess the only thing that could make this a success is if it's readily available at the suggested retail price..
Consumer always loses in this market. It is a hit for AMD cause you can literally throw a turd out and it will sell out. This is why Nvidia is in the process of rereleasing the 2060 super with more RAM.... because they can and they know it will sell out. Everyone is making huge dough and Intel is coming out really late on this train cause if Ethereums plans eventually come into play. The market will certainly drop.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I don't care what staunch supporters of Nvidia or AMD say about supporting their favorite graphics card company, these kind of releases have to stop. I can't wait till later in 2022 to see if Intel shakes up the market. I hope the outlook/ availability/pricing improves by then, because I am not shelling out more money than the MSRP on any card. The value better be there or forget about it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
My perspective is if not ALSO good for RT/RTX (and DLSS or equivalent) in 2021/almost 2022, the card does not even exist, so even less than "shit".

Last edited:

Rikkori

Just get a 3090 on Finance or something. Not sure why people pay decent money out right for shit performance.
This is actually not a bad idea, still plenty of time to mine with it during downtime to get >50% of its cost back. The weird thing about it though is there's actually very few 3090s out there, at least in Europe.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why would you even buy Radeon GPU, it's beyond me. You get so much more with team green.
Is GPU warring ok? Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights
The RDNA 2.0 cards are actually on par if not better at standard rasterization compared to their Nvidia counterparts. yes the 6600xt sucks but 6700xt is actually not half bad.

Not every game supports DLSS. Not every game supports ray tracing. A lot of PC gamers dont care for ray tracing either and just want higher framerates which is where these GPUs shine the most.

I personally would never buy a RDNA card until they add DLSS and better ray tracing, but I am always surprised by just how far AMD has come from the vega days. Also, the overclocking on these RDNA 2.0 GPUs is actually very popular. Ive seen videos where people were able to overclock the 6800xt to get up to 2650 mhz. A full 600 mhz over its ingame clocks.

At the end of the day, its not really a bad upgrade if you are not into ray tracing and are willing to live without DLSS.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The RDNA 2.0 cards are actually on par if not better at standard rasterization compared to their Nvidia counterparts. yes the 6600xt sucks but 6700xt is actually not half bad.

Not every game supports DLSS. Not every game supports ray tracing. A lot of PC gamers dont care for ray tracing either and just want higher framerates which is where these GPUs shine the most.

I personally would never buy a RDNA card until they add DLSS and better ray tracing, but I am always surprised by just how far AMD has come from the vega days. Also, the overclocking on these RDNA 2.0 GPUs is actually very popular. Ive seen videos where people were able to overclock the 6800xt to get up to 2650 mhz. A full 600 mhz over its ingame clocks.

At the end of the day, its not really a bad upgrade if you are not into ray tracing and are willing to live without DLSS.
I think the problem is that Radeon cards are just good at one thing. Rasterizing shit in games, meanwhile when you buy nVidia, you can easily mined back the price of the card, it will help you with productive work, you have CUDA, you have DLSS, etc.

Feels like Radeon card should be half the price, if you don't care about additional benefits, that's fine, but with nVidia, you simply get way more...

manfestival

Yep you nailed it. Also you forgot to mention the FSR(AMD's answer to DLSS) exists and in a grander sense it is better for the gaming community. Especially since it is not hardware locked to create exclusivity. Nvidia cards including "legacy" 900 series also get the benefit of FSR. DLSS 2.0 as a whole is a more polished software since it performs great in all of it's settings. Where FSR is only really good in Ultra Quality and is acceptable in Quality. The problem with this upscaling tech is that there is still shimmering that occurs from the inherent nature but Nvidia's DLAA is the real game changer that is people aren't talking about as much. AMD is on par with Nvidia and sometimes even better when it comes to rasterization. I just think most people are just so bought into the years of AMD failing to catch up.
I think the problem is that Radeon cards are just good at one thing. Rasterizing shit in games, meanwhile when you buy nVidia, you can easily mined back the price of the card, it will help you with productive work, you have CUDA, you have DLSS, etc.

Feels like Radeon card should be half the price, if you don't care about additional benefits, that's fine, but with nVidia, you simply get way more...
In my post above AMD does offer an answer to DLSS. They were just late to the plate but it exists in games and is getting more releases just as DLSS has. Deathloop and Back 4 Blood have FSR and it isn't locked to AMD only GPUs.

Dane

Bad results for the same "price" as the RTX 3060, it would be worth if its not targeted by scalpers and miners, but if it goes to the same shit route, then totally a skip.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yep you nailed it. Also you forgot to mention the FSR(AMD's answer to DLSS) exists and in a grander sense it is better for the gaming community. Especially since it is not hardware locked to create exclusivity. Nvidia cards including "legacy" 900 series also get the benefit of FSR. DLSS 2.0 as a whole is a more polished software since it performs great in all of it's settings. Where FSR is only really good in Ultra Quality and is acceptable in Quality. The problem with this upscaling tech is that there is still shimmering that occurs from the inherent nature but Nvidia's DLAA is the real game changer that is people aren't talking about as much. AMD is on par with Nvidia and sometimes even better when it comes to rasterization. I just think most people are just so bought into the years of AMD failing to catch up.

In my post above AMD does offer an answer to DLSS. They were just late to the plate but it exists in games and is getting more releases just as DLSS has. Deathloop and Back 4 Blood have FSR and it isn't locked to AMD only GPUs.
FSR isn't in any shape or form substitute for DLSS...

manfestival

FSR isn't in any shape or form substitute for DLSS...
I suppose that is your opinion. Been watching a ton of content comparing the two technologies. Fanboying for either team is just eyerolling. Especially when they clearly are taking advantage of the current market as much as they can.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

SolidQ

Not every game supports DLSS. Not every game supports ray tracing.
Yeah you right, i'm only have in steam library(300+) 4 game with rt and 3 with dlss. Need like 25%+ games with RT, for looking GPU with good RT perfomance, but this seems, not going happens until ps6 is coming :messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom