• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD ryzen dominates Intel at Amazon best selling cpus

Ice Lake 10nm pretty much beat's Whiskey Lake 14++ across the board.

Comparing mobile to desktop is pointless.

Whisky Lake's peak clocks are significantly higher than Ice Lake, even with Ice Lake boosting well past TDP to hit peak turbo clocks.

Somewhere well below 4 gHz Intel are hitting a brutal knee in their power curve, even more severely than AMD on TSMC 7nm. And that's probably more about process than architecture.

Even if Intel's 10nm yields are good enough for large chips now, they can't hit the frequencies necessary to compete in the high TDP server, multi socket, and highly threaded single socket markets.

Desktop 10nm is two years behind initially planned introduction, and counting.

Intel's next process is supposed to have benefited from the lessons learned with 10nm (so Intel say, and I believe them), and that'll be their chance to retake the lead.

And in the case it is true (AVX used) who the hell on a gaming forum is loading up all core's with AVX?

People making games might be. And 2020 consoles will have 8 AVX2 enabled cores. A few game programmers have already talked about wanting to move their vectorised CPU stuff over to AVX but being held back by current gen consoles.

The rate at which the 9900k becomes dated compared to the 3900X and 3950X will, I think, be largely down to how fast games move away from console Jaguar and fully embrace console Zen 2 features and thread counts.

Any game that scales well across 14 or 15 threads is going to love a processor with 16 physical cores. On the bright side for Intel, cross gen games will probably give Intel breathing room through 2020 and 2021.

Leonidas

Whisky Lake's peak clocks are significantly higher than Ice Lake

Performance is King.

People making games might be. And 2020 consoles will have 8 AVX2 enabled cores. A few game programmers have already talked about wanting to move their vectorised CPU stuff over to AVX but being held back by current gen consoles.

The rate at which the 9900k becomes dated compared to the 3900X and 3950X will, I think, be largely down to how fast games move away from console Jaguar and fully embrace console Zen 2 features and thread counts.

Any game that scales well across 14 or 15 threads is going to love a processor with 16 physical cores. On the bright side for Intel, cross gen games will probably give Intel breathing room through 2020 and 2021.

Games today use AVX and Intel is still more efficient (Witcher 3 is a great example of this).

My statement was about AVX torture tests, which is what Anand used to get the blown up 9900K number I was addressing.

You sure do like to speculate a lot. I prefer sticking with facts.

shaddam

Built my pc 2 years ago with ryzen7 1700, mainly for editing videos, gaming. I'm not regretted it. I even managed to get a pc with the same specs (cpu, vga) in my office. Managing giant archives are finally quick and painless

Just how full of lies Intel fans are.

Lenovo has an exact counter part of T495 with an intel CPU. Also T series.
Oh, and T495 is still on an "12nm" which essentially is slightly bumped 14nm process.

Why compare it with god knows what by god knows whom please? AH, I know, FUD.

Now, to apples to apples comparison, T495 (AMD) vs T490 (Intel), Ryzen 5 sits nicely between I5 and I7:

7Xi2VaY.png

LMr5JLt.png

And, besides being cheaper, AMD laptop is nearly twice faster than Intel's (the thing on the top is using MX250, a dedicated chip that inflates price even further):

ityc8Db.png

Clearly, you didn’t keep reading the thread.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That spartan guy: but Intel maintains the highest selling "most expensive gaming CPU ever sold to gullible gamers that don't really need it" so they still hold the crown, AMD can't compete!

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I didn't accuse you of anything, you didn't mindlessly attack the other guy.

It's already devolved into that for me, I didn't even have to post anything in this thread before some labeled me a fanboy. Guess they missed the part where I said I wanted AMD to do well... but somehow the fact that I prefer the best gaming components on a gaming forum is somehow shocking...

I'm simply pointing out things most people here overlook, which I think even you noticed just a moment ago with the AVX thing...
I wasn't taking it personally beyond statements like that basically shutting down reasonable discourse. We have enough pissing matches on here just for the consoles.

Just how full of lies Intel fans are.

Lenovo has an exact counter part of T495 with an intel CPU. Also T series.
Oh, and T495 is still on an "12nm" which essentially is slightly bumped 14nm process.

Why compare it with god knows what by god knows whom please? AH, I know, FUD.

Now, to apples to apples comparison, T495 (AMD) vs T490 (Intel), Ryzen 5 sits nicely between I5 and I7:

7Xi2VaY.png

LMr5JLt.png

And, besides being cheaper, AMD laptop is nearly twice faster than Intel's (the thing on the top is using MX250, a dedicated chip that inflates price even further):

ityc8Db.png

Sycomunkee has already gracefully admitted the mistake with the comparison he posted. No need to wildly paint everyone with the same brush.

I know that you'll dismiss it anyway. Especially because it's another "meaningless video".

I’ve shown other videos talking about Intel’s 10nm in other threads, so he’s being willfully ignorant considering he likes to pop in on every CPU/GPU related thread.

I know that you'll dismiss it anyway. Especially because it's another "meaningless video".

The first rule of Intel 10nm is: you do not talk about Intel 10nm.

The second rule of Intel 10nm is: you do not talk about Intel 10nm.

The third rule of Intel 10nm is: you talk about Intel 14nm++.

Last edited:

The Skull

This is great and hopefully it gives Intel the kick up the arse it needs to compete on price/performance/efficiency etc. Here's hoping for an absolute price war between these two.

Top Bottom