• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

coopolon

Thanks all. I've never been big on overclocking ram so it looks like as long as I get 2400 or 2667 supported by the mobo I won't have any problems.

Ram is soooo expensive right now!this will be my first ddr4 build.

Any CPU or motherboard deals right now?
Depends which part of the globe you're located at.

MSI's motherboard deal is in multiple countries and runs until the end of July: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242547807&postcount=3381

Amazon US currently has an R5 1500x + motherboard bundle deal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKVNRSM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Contemplating upgrading to a Ryzen CPU from my FX-8350 around Black Friday, although since I need a new mobo for it I'm also contemplating upgrading to an Intel CPU for the first time (I've only used a Phenom II X4, an FX-4350, and now an FX-8350 for the past year or so). Has gaming performance improved on Ryzen CPU's since launch? I enjoy the FX-8350's 8 cores and being able to OC it since I multitask a lot, but even when I focus entirely on a game and shut extraneous stuff down (I started using Process Lasso to help) it's still a pretty dated CPU for modern gaming due to the weak single core power. I remember when Ryzen came out I read a lot of stuff in this thread about how it still performed average in games, I think it even failed to match i5's in gaming benchmarks. How's it fare these days? I only have a GTX 1060 and a 1080p monitor so I'm not worried about 4K gaming (or even 2K) or VR, but I like playing games at Ultra as long as they run above 30 FPS (otherwise I'd just play them on console).
As you can see by the articles posted and GAF commenters across the past few pages, things have improved. Here's a video I came across from a Ryzen owner, chosen somewhat randomly so I'm sure there are others which are better.

Posting this in part because he doesn't sound like a YouTuber or hardware hack. The presentation may not be exciting, but his comments are in line with what I've read or heard from most owners.

DannyzPlay [YouTube] —— My Experience With AMD Ryzen 7 1800X After 3 Months

maxresdefault.jpg

Ryzen-based Hackintosh systems have become more prevalent since I last posted some here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234045361&postcount=2607

OSXavier —— Hackintosh reportedly working with AMD's new Ryzen Processors!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/322433-ryzen/#entry2397155

InsanelyMac user gils83 has showed users that Hackintosh is not only compatible with AMD's new Ryzen series processors, it actually excels with them. He shares great screenshots and statistics with benchmarks of other CPU's to really show the efficiency of the Ryzen series. What does this mean for the future of Apple products? Could this lead to AMD and Apple working together? Excitement is in the air as the next generation of CPU's begin to really become prevalent. Although this is only working on OS X Mavericks, user Bronya has began work on Sierra as well. It is believed this will be ready for Sierra soon. OSXavier will keep you informed on updates within the Hackintosh world.

Gigamaxx DonkeyMac [YouTube] —— Ryzen Hackintosh! Sierra Clover USB Installer Guide Part 1

Gigamaxx DonkeyMac [YouTube] —— Ryzen Hackintosh! Clover Disk Drive Edit After USB Install. Part 2 of a multi part series.

bbmatias22 [YouTube] —— ryzen 1700 hackintosh mac os sierra 10.12.5 with gtx 1080ti /problem

黄永龙 [YouTube] —— AMD ryzen 1700 锐龙CPU 成功安装黑苹果系统macOS Sierra 10.12.5

One of the first Hackintosh Ryzen owners has added more vids:

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 7 1700 // OS X 10.9.5 at macOS 10.12.4

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU // create HDD Installer OS X 10.9.5 on Windows (Part 1)

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 7 1700 // Clover uefi patched for Ryzen by Bronya // Sierra 10.12.6 beta

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 5/7 // installer clover usb Sierra 10.12.4 for noob

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— test ScreenFlow 6.1 / AMD GPU/CPU

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— test FCPX 10.3.1 trial // AMD CPU/GPU

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— ScreenFlow123

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— GTX 1050 test GFX Metal macOS 10.12.4 // CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3,0 Ghz

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— test GTX 1050 // CPU AMD Ryzen 7

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— Old Sapphire HD 6670 1024 LP// Ryzen 7 // Mavericks

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— VoodooHDA // AMD Ryzen // sound HD 88 Khz/24 bit wav 5 Mbit/s / no vidéo, is 320 kbit/s mp3

Khaz

Has this video been posted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5mxFfkr7g
It compares a 1800X to a 7700K running Quake 2 at 1600x1200 in software mode. I didn't even know software mode allowed you to go that high a resolution: back in the day, software mode was smooth at 320x200 and mayyybe at 640x480 if you had like a top-end processor.
it confirms that - without optimisations of any sort - Ryzen is on par with the Intel one, the only difference being the speed of the processor.

He also used a custom software renderer that was optimised for AthlonXP processors, and the results were really impressive, with the AMD CPU rendering about 45% faster than the Intel one. He talks briefly about the optimisations, but that was too technical for me.

Arex

hmm get the Gigabyte AB350 itx now or wait (I think) a week or two more for the Asrock X370 itx board (I can get either one for same price). Decision decision @_@

Do we have more reviews/unboxing for the Gigabyte or Asrock already? I can only find one youtube video for the Gigabyte lol

Buggy Loop

hmm get the Gigabyte AB350 itx now or wait (I think) a week or two more for the Asrock X370 itx board (I can get either one for same price). Decision decision @_@

Do we have more reviews/unboxing for the Gigabyte or Asrock already? I can only find one youtube video for the Gigabyte lol

Gigabyte's layout for connections put me off and i went with ASRock AB350 personally.

I don't need the layout for a giant 1800x wraith cooler for my 1600 in a node 202 like Gigabyte did by displacing the memory to the far edge. (no wraith cooler would even fit anyway in node 202). It's a strange decision, as typically the market for mini-ITX is for SFF builds where i think nobody would bother with stock coolers, i don't even think there's a decent SFF case that would allow the clearance that the wraith max requires.

Trying to fix a problem that a small percentage of peoples would have ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arex

Ah cheers! I'll give it a read :D

Gigabyte's layout for connections put me off and i went with ASRock AB350 personally.

I don't need the layout for a giant 1800x wraith cooler for my 1600 in a node 202 like Gigabyte did by displacing the memory to the far edge. (no wraith cooler would even fit anyway in node 202). It's a strange decision, as typically the market for mini-ITX is for SFF builds where i think nobody would bother with stock coolers, i don't even think there's a decent SFF case that would allow the clearance that the wraith max requires.

Trying to fix a problem that a small percentage of peoples would have ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think you can even buy one right now right? I don't remember seeing the 1800x bundle here, least not in my area (South East Asia). the 1700 I'm getting only has the Wraith Spire.

Anyway, one of the only things that makes me waver a bit from the Asrock is because the Gigabyte has loads of usb ports + 3.1g2 vs Asrock's 6 and lack of g2 ports haha

Buggy Loop

Ah cheers! I'll give it a read :D

I don't think you can even buy one right now right? I don't remember seeing the 1800x bundle here, least not in my area (South East Asia). the 1700 I'm getting only has the Wraith Spire.

Anyway, one of the only things that makes me waver a bit from the Asrock is because the Gigabyte has loads of usb ports + 3.1g2 vs Asrock's 6 and lack of g2 ports haha

Bought my ASRock AB350 from Vuugo in Canada. I think it's sold out already from newegg in the US though? The boards released last friday in north america, mostly sold out.

Arex

Bought my ASRock AB350 from Vuugo in Canada. I think it's sold out already from newegg in the US though? The boards released last friday in north america, mostly sold out.

The Gigabyte released already here (Singapore) but the Asrock not yet it seems.

Kayant

I want a somewhat future proof CPU for gaming. Should I get a Ryzen 1700X or a i7-7700k?
There is no "real" future proofing when it comes to hardware sadly but there is a rising trend of more multi threaded games thanks to consoles/APIs like DX12/Vulkan so on that bases Ryzen is the more "future proof" option.

If you want the absolute best/max gaming performance then the i7 is the way to go otherwise if you're willing to sacrifice like 10% or so in highest frames possible for bigger gaind in multi threaded workload/production and such go with Ryzen.

Khaz

I want a somewhat future proof CPU for gaming. Should I get a Ryzen 1700X or a i7-7700k?

Future-proofing through modularity could be an option. Whenever you want to change your 7700K, you will also have to upgrade your motherboard, RAM, and probably the cooler as well. Next generations of Ryzen will be on AM4 for the next four years, so if you feel your 1700X doesn't serve you well any more, you can just swap the CPU for the 2020 hottest.

Future-proofing through modularity could be an option. Whenever you want to change your 7700K, you will also have to upgrade your motherboard, RAM, and probably the cooler as well. Next generations of Ryzen will be on AM4 for the next four years, so if you feel your 1700X doesn't serve you well any more, you can just swap the CPU for the 2020 hottest.

Assuming he gets a good mobo today with a current Ryzen cpu (not really an issue since choice is still somewhat limited).

And assuming AMD will still be around in 2020...xD

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yeah, I'd argue that this is the best advantage AMD offers:

It enables you to upgrade in pieces, whereas with Intel you almost always have to upgrade the motherboard and CPU at the same time.

If AMD plans to stick to the AM4 socket until 2020, then it becomes much easier to upgrade in pieces.

New chipset comes out and you want the cool motherboard features? Just get a new mobo and put your current Ryzen in that one.

New Ryzen CPU comes out, but don't want to reinstall and rebuild everything? It should work fine.

Hesh

·feist·;243040986 said:

Much appreciated! I'm not sure if I'll go with an 1800X over a 1700 (or maybe a 1700X), but I'll definitely scour Youtube to find some recent gameplay videos on Ryzen rigs to see how they're doing.

RS4-

Much appreciated! I'm not sure if I'll go with an 1800X over a 1700 (or maybe a 1700X), but I'll definitely scour Youtube to find some recent gameplay videos on Ryzen rigs to see how they're doing.

If anything, you could do the 1700, then upgrade again when zen 2 (or whatever the next chip is called) comes out. The price difference between the 1700, the X and the 1800 could be used for more ram, a better GPU, etc.

There is no "real" future proofing when it comes to hardware sadly but there is a rising trend of more multi threaded games thanks to consoles/APIs like DX12/Vulkan so on that bases Ryzen is the more "future proof" option.

If you want the absolute best/max gaming performance then the i7 is the way to go otherwise if you're willing to sacrifice like 10% or so in highest frames possible for bigger gaind in multi threaded workload/production and such go with Ryzen.

I dunno, the 2600k was basically handed down from heaven. Mine is still running string, even non overclocked.

I do plan to replace it with a 1700 or 1600 though.

Tommy DJ

1700X and 1800X overclock better in that they can reach 3.8-4ghz with less voltage but they're still seriously not worth it. Ryzen pretty much brick walls at ~4ghz where you have to put an obscene amount of voltage just to get even 100mhz extra. For all extents and purposes, the R7 1700 achieves exactly the same amount of performance and even comes with one of the best stock heatsinks in recent memory.

Get the R7 1700, punch in 1.25v vcore, punch in 3.8ghz core clock and call it a day. Decrease vcore if you want to want to decrease voltage/heat. The stock cooler that comes with the R7 1700 is actually very good, its actually a vapour chamber and uses a decent Coolermaster fan.

RS4-

Come to think of it, on Ryzen, is there an option in bios that downclocks the speeds when you're idle or not doing anything intensive? I think it's called speedstep on Intel?

Like I'm at 4.8 if I'm gaming or whatever, but if I'm just browsing or watching some movies, it'll downclock to 2.0, etc.

edit - lol, I should've jsut fucking googled.

Tommy DJ

Come to think of it, on Ryzen, is there an option in bios that downclocks the speeds when you're idle or not doing anything intensive? I think it's called speedstep on Intel?

Like I'm at 4.8 if I'm gaming or whatever, but if I'm just browsing or watching some movies, it'll downclock to 2.0, etc.

Look at P state overclocking.

RS4-

Look at P state overclocking.

Will do when I actually build the new rig.

For whatever reason, I don't know why I had speedstep disabled for a few months; I didn't think about it until a few days ago when I started mining again and had no reason to run OC'd all the time overnight.

Tommy DJ

There's a valid argument that there's not really much point P state overclocking. I think someone tested P state overclocks vs. static overclocks and the general power savings are in the 10-20w range for low and medium loads. And that's with a voltage of 1.40v, I imagine the difference is even less on lower voltages.

And really, I don't see the point pushing an extra 0.15v just for 200mhz if you're a general end user. I don't think its worth the effort/time required to test and I don't think its worth the extra heat either.

coopolon

Amazon has the 1600 for $20 off right now. Went ahead and bought it and the asrock mobo but it won't get here until next week so going to take a few days hunting for ram deals, maybe prime day?

Feel like I should go 16gb but prices are really putting me off, never had any problems with 8gb in current system.

Feels so strange not getting an Intel CPU, first time ever for me. I've always regretted getting amd gpus, hope that doesn't carry over to cpus!

Tommy DJ

A lot of these motherboards seem to still have the original BIOS loaded so the first thing I'd do is update it to the latest if you don't want to have a bad time.

On a lot of boards, the original BIOS seemed to be rushed and under-validated. My Asrock X370 Taichi refused to boot Windows off a USB stick until I flashed it to the latest BIOS for whatever reason. I would have been shit out of luck if I didn't have a laptop available.

A lot of these motherboards seem to still have the original BIOS loaded so the first thing I'd do is update it to the latest if you don't want to have a bad time.

On a lot of boards, the original BIOS seemed to be rushed and under-validated. My Asrock X370 Taichi refused to boot Windows off a USB stick until I flashed it to the latest BIOS for whatever reason. I would have been shit out of luck if I didn't have a laptop available.
When I got my Asrock X370 Gaming K4 at the end of March, it was already on the first BIOS that had the built-in BIOS updater, instead of the earlier stuff, which required DOS.

So I ended up getting an MSI B350M Gaming Pro motherboard for my 1700 system. At the time, it checked off all the boxes for the things I needed and it was a decent price, so I nabbed it. Since getting it and having it running for a week now, I see reviews stating that it has some issue with the VRMs being on a 3+2 phase instead of a 4 phase, which I honestly have no idea what that means, but the end result is that it is "bad for overclocking" to some degree.

Now, I got my Ryzen 1700 to 3.7 GHz at 1.275 V and my RAM to 2933 MHz on 1.35 V. CPU idles at around 33C and on Small FTTs in Prime95 it peaks at 66C on my Hyper 212 Plus cooler. So, temperatures seem OK and I'm satisfied with that overclock.

But, is there something I should be understanding about this that I'm missing? Is the motherboard going to in some way shorten the life span of my Ryzen 1700 becuase of this 3+2 vs 4 thing? Or is it just that higher overclocks are harder to achieve on this board?

So I ended up getting an MSI B350M Gaming Pro motherboard for my 1700 system. At the time, it checked off all the boxes for the things I needed and it was a decent price, so I nabbed it. Since getting it and having it running for a week now, I see reviews stating that it has some issue with the VRMs being on a 3+2 phase instead of a 4 phase, which I honestly have no idea what that means, but the end result is that it is "bad for overclocking" to some degree.

Now, I got my Ryzen 1700 to 3.7 GHz at 1.275 V and my RAM to 2933 MHz on 1.35 V. CPU idles at around 33C and on Small FTTs in Prime95 it peaks at 66C on my Hyper 212 Plus cooler. So, temperatures seem OK and I'm satisfied with that overclock.

But, is there something I should be understanding about this that I'm missing? Is the motherboard going to in some way shorten the life span of my Ryzen 1700 becuase of this 3+2 vs 4 thing? Or is it just that higher overclocks are harder to achieve on this board?

CPU stability would be the issue. 4 phase VRM gives you a cleaner voltage stream to the CPU. If you are stable, you are fine.

CPU stability would be the issue. 4 phase VRM gives you a cleaner voltage stream to the CPU. If you are stable, you are fine.

OK, thanks. To be honest, a 3.7 GHz OC isn't anything impressive, but I'm happy with it in terms of performance/heat/noise from the coolers at this setting. Never crashed after tweaking the voltage for my Prime95 Small FTT and Blend tests, and has successfully rendered several hours of footage for me, so I'm satisfied. Thanks again.

Nokterian

So i do have some little trouble now..i did D.O.C.P Standard and my memory was running at 3200Mhz. But yesterday and this morning and evening even when i did a cold start my motherbord went in many reboots. It put my memory back to 2400Mhz.

What i did next was the standard gamer profile in the bios and put the memory on 3079Mhz and OCed my processor to 3,7Ghz.

I need to find a sweet spot to run 3200Mhz and processor at 3,8ghz. Help would be nice, i am looking how this is going to work for now.

Paragon

So i do have some little trouble now..i did D.O.C.P Standard and my memory was running at 3200Mhz. But yesterday and this morning and evening even when i did a cold start my motherbord went in many reboots. It put my memory back to 2400Mhz.
What i did next was the standard gamer profile in the bios and put the memory on 3079Mhz and OCed my processor to 3,7Ghz.
I need to find a sweet spot to run 3200Mhz and processor at 3,8ghz. Help would be nice, i am looking how this is going to work for now.
Sounds like your board is having trouble cold-booting at the current settings, or your RAM may have some instability at 3200MT/s.
It sounds like it's an ASUS board, check that the RAM boot voltage is set to at least 1.35. Maybe even push that to 1.40V.
You might also want to increase the number of retries to 3 or 5. This was reduced to 1 in recent updates to speed up booting, but some systems seem to have trouble with memory training on cold boots.

Nokterian

Sounds like your board is having trouble cold-booting at the current settings, or your RAM may have some instability at 3200MT/s.
It sounds like it's an ASUS board, check that the RAM boot voltage is set to at least 1.35. Maybe even push that to 1.40V.
You might also want to increase the number of retries to 3 or 5. This was reduced to 1 in recent updates to speed up booting, but some systems seem to have trouble with memory training on cold boots.

Yeah i have a asus and have put up the latest AGESA 1.0.0.6 bios update. Going to try that with the voltage.

Datschge

Epyc appears to run riot on Intel's home turf:

AnandTech —— Sizing Up Servers: Intel's Skylake-SP Xeon versus AMD's EPYC 7000 - The Server CPU Battle of the Decade?

Developed by the Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, NAMD is a set of parallel molecular dynamics codes for extreme parallelization on thousands of cores. NAMD is also part of SPEC CPU2006 FP. In contrast with previous FP benchmarks, the NAMD binary is compiled with Intel ICC and optimized for AVX.

gZjOd6J.png

coopolon

Datschge

(crossposting from I need a new PC threat because RAM is on sale).

I'm still confused about Ryzen and RAM.

I bought the Ryzen 1600. I'm going to pair with this mobo:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157762&ignorebbr=1

Can I use this RAM: The mobo says they support 3200/2933/2667/2400/2133. But can't it just run the 3000 at 2933? Or even at 2667 like officially supported?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313841&ignorebbr=1
You check compatibility with the memory QVL that the manufacturer posts on its site, in your case http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Memory

Your memory is not shown on there so you would buy it on your own risk. 3000 is always run at 2933 if detected correctly.

Hesh

Amazon has a few motherboards on sale as well.

Are any of those mobos good? None of them are ones I was eying on Newegg and their reviews have numerous 5 stars and 1-2 stars because of issues, but that could always be PEBKAC or based on outdated BIOS. $300 for a 1700X is tempting, but I'm thinking of waiting for Newegg's Black Friday deals to get a good mobo along with it.

Patriot PRESS RELEASE —— Patriot Announces Memory Compatibility with AMD Ryzen™ and AM4 Platforms

Vortez —— Patriot Affirms DDR4 Memory Compatibility with AMD AM4 Platform

Patriot Memory affirms compatibility of their DDR4 memory kits with the AMD AM4 platform powered by the Zen architecture-based Ryzen processors. Patriot lists the DDR4 Memory Qualified kits for AM4 processors which includes the Viper 4, Viper Elite and Signature Line of DDR4 memory kits.

Patriot Memory conducted extensive compatibility tests with their existing DDR4 memory kits on the AMD X370 and B350 chipsets using the AMD Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 processors.

[...]

List of Compatible Patriot DDR4 Memory
https://www.vortez.net/news_thumb/11053_patriot ddr4 am4 compatiblity list.jpg

[...]

Visit the Patriot website and check out their entire DDR4 Memory line up.
The validation tests was performed using the following AM4 motherboards below:

- Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K5
- Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K7
- MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
- MSI X370 SLI PLUS
- MSI A320M GAMING PRO
- ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
- ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
- ASROCK X370 Tachi
- ASROCK X370 Killer SLI
- ASROCK AB350M Pro4
- ASROCK Fatali1ty AB350 Gaming K4
- ASROCK AB350M-HDV
- ASROCK A320M Pro4
- ASROCK A320M-HDV

Epyc appears to run riot on Intel's home turf:

AnandTech —— Sizing Up Servers: Intel's Skylake-SP Xeon versus AMD's EPYC 7000 - The Server CPU Battle of the Decade?

Developed by the Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, NAMD is a set of parallel molecular dynamics codes for extreme parallelization on thousands of cores. NAMD is also part of SPEC CPU2006 FP. In contrast with previous FP benchmarks, the NAMD binary is compiled with Intel ICC and optimized for AVX.

gZjOd6J.png
Heise's initial look at Epyc from a few weeks ago is here (with early performance numbers): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241924455&postcount=3285

I briefly skimmed AnandTech's write-up earlier so I may have missed it, but ComputerBase included some additional slides from the Intel press deck which have around 20+ pages of why AMD Epyc and Zen-based parts are a bad option for clients and users.

Some of you may recall Intel referred to Epyc as "glued-together/stitched together" and vowed to top it (near the bottom of this link): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241391364&postcount=3220

This seems to be the official line and not a throw away comment. The term "glued-together" is repeated multiple times across many of the recent Skylake Xeon slides that compare Intel to AMD:

ComputerBase —— Intel Xeon SP: With Skylake-SP on the Purley platform against AMD Naples [German]

Intel Press Workshop page 4 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/47/

Intel Press Workshop page 5 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/48/

Intel Press Workshop page 6 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/49/

Intel Press Workshop page 7 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/50/

Intel Press Workshop page 8 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/51/

Intel Press Workshop page 9 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/52/

Intel Press Workshop page 10 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/53/

Intel Press Workshop page 11 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/54/

Intel Press Workshop page 12 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/55/

Intel Press Workshop page 13 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/56/

Intel Press Workshop page 14 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/57/

Intel Press Workshop page 15 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/58/

Intel Press Workshop page 16 - ???

Intel Press Workshop page 17 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/59/

Intel Press Workshop page 18 - ???

Intel Press Workshop page 19 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/60/

Intel Press Workshop page 20 - ???

Intel Press Workshop page 21 - ???

Intel Press Workshop page 22 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/61/

Intel Press Workshop page 23 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/62/

Intel Press Workshop page 24 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/63/

Intel Press Workshop page 25 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/64/

Intel Press Workshop page 26 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/65/

Intel Press Workshop page 27 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/66/

Intel Press Workshop page 28 - https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/78687/67/

Google Translate:

The competition is strong, but we are stronger

" We take our competitor very seriously, " Intel began the comments. But the velvet gloves were quickly deposited. This was followed by a presentation that showed Intel's key weaknesses in the market. At the same time, Intel used a word-selection for Naples, which AMD was similar in earlier times: " glued together ". The talk is of AMD's multi-chip design, which makes four large smaller processors (CCX) a big one. This is not new: Intel used the first two- and four-core CPUs also nothing but two "cemented" chips on a package or in a die, whereas AMD at that time mainly native solutions offered.

Datschge

·feist·;243234591 said:
I briefly skimmed AnandTech's write-up earlier so I may have missed it, but ComputerBase included some additional slides from the Intel press deck which have around 20+ pages of why AMD Epyc and Zen-based parts are a bad option for clients and users.
LOL, I guess that's Intel in attack mode. AnandTech didn't mention anything of it, neither did ServeTheHome (who still haven't released any Epcy benchmarks despite having the hardware for ages now, fishy now that they published a mountain of Xeon articles). So ComputerBase may be the first to make those public.

Must be pretty embarrassing to Intel to have to diss Epyc that much and still have the Xeon fare worse than it in many areas.

Edit: That article is a comedy goldmine. :D
Google Translate:

The presentation then used an Xeon SP with eight cores at 2.2 GHz and placed it against a Ryzen 7 with eight cores at 2.2 GHz - at this clock expected Intel AMDs Epyc since the early summer. The caches and memory controllers were measured and used together with the previous technical data from AMD for up-charges. These are, in many cases, extremely speculative and also to be seen accordingly, as part of the event at Intel they made for an exhilarating mood - especially at the beginning of this afternoon round popcorn was offered.

Edit2: @·feist· The missing slides all seem to be for detailing the system configurations used.

Buggy Loop

Wow, i've never ever seen Intel act like this. It's very telling.

I would personally not put emphasis that the competition's processor, that is wiping the floor in performance/price with mine, is "glued together", what does that make of Xeon then? And on top of that Intel downclocked Ryzen 1800X to 2.2 GHz? Not even EPYC? Comparing their server processor to AMD's gaming? Plus gaming driver woes as a discussion for servers?

giphy.gif

Azzurri

I was browsing AMDs reddit and anadtech write up on the new Intel server chips.

To me it seems Intel is scared honestly, throwing so much shit at AMD; yet, their chips aren't above and beyond and in a lot of cases worse than AMD EPYC.

Can't forget the price too, $4200 for AMD EPYC top of the line against Intel's 10k plus chip

Nokterian

Wow damn Intel is mad? I am glad there is competition..been far to long. AMD deserves it with Ryzen to me a very awesome processor. Also people have more choice and choice is good.

Steejee

Good. Intel needs to be scared. After all the seedy shit they've pulled over the years that's hampered AMD, they need to take it on the chin HARD.

NeOak

Funny Intel is trash talking when they have used MCMs for years, some even having to use the FSB back then.

Top Bottom