• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD sends autistic boy parts for a gming PC, dickhead brother takes it for himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
IF you do a nice thing you do a nice thing. This is like when you give a homeless guy $5. Yeah he might use it to feed himself, or he might use it to buy beer or meth. But you did the nice thing. Not sure what investigating this further or trying to send this kid more shit will accomplish.

This is like giving a homeless guy $5, and then seeing another homeless guy and steal it.

Right in front of you.

And then, as if that wasn't enough, he climbed onto the nearest podium and yelled "I STOLE $5 FROM THIS DISABLED HOMELESS GUY".

Fuck the parents, seriously. How do you not know this is going on, especially if the brother was officially diagnosed with autism? Wouldn't concerned parents be keeping an eye on their children?

(Having never really dealt with autism, I honestly don't know, but common sense says yes in my mind.)

Wouldn't you become involved if one day packages suddenly came for either of them?

Just all points back to the parents being completely awful.

This is like giving a homeless guy $5, and then seeing another homeless guy and steal it.

Right in front of you.

And then, as if that wasn't enough, he climbed onto the nearest podium and yelled "I STOLE $5 FROM THIS DISABLED HOMELESS GUY".

If the other homeless guy was his brother and he was really just manipulating his bro into giving him the $5 what can you do? You can keep giving him more and more money that his brother is just going to take from him? At some point you just have to be at peace with yourself that you did a good thing and unfortunately there are some shit people in this world.

Ok how old of an older brother are we talking about here.

Because although none of my siblings are autistic I can totally imagine 11/12 year old me being this much of a self-righteous asshole towards them. While I really hope his parents or AMD or somebody steps in here I'm a bit uncomfortable sending the angry reddit brigade after a dumb kid.

EDIT: Alright he's like a senior in high school never mind. That's pretty shitty.

Alucrid

Banned
Ok how old of an older brother are we talking about here.

Because although none of my siblings are autistic I can totally imagine 11/12 year old me being this much of a self-righteous asshole towards them. While I really hope his parents or AMD or somebody steps in here I'm a bit uncomfortable sending the angry reddit brigade after a dumb kid.
He's 17 or 18.

mdubs

Banned
Hopefully the mainstream media jumps on this story to track down this family.

I think what makes my blood boil the most about this is that it isn't like AMD is just rolling in the cash, like they lay off people a bunch (yes I know pr has it's own budgets and stuff) but they still managed to justify spending the cash to send this kid some stuff and this is what happens. Absolutely disgusting by the brother

Zaptruder

Banned
Heh. Internet in typical fashion taking their mob justice thing overboard.

Call the guy a douche bag, dumb ass, etc, etc and move on.

What the fuck are you people doing with your pathetic lives that you have to dig through the trash to find more dirt on this dude?

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

Asshole siblings are dime a dozen. This person is not *your* asshole sibling.

Alucrid

Banned

What the fuck are you people doing with your pathetic lives that you have to dig through the trash to find more dirt on this dude?

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

No one is really digging through anything. It was all posted by him.

ZangBa

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

Found the older brother.

see5harp

guy is going really out of his way to justify taking the whole lot of gifts. I mean why would you just gift a friend a 660 over your own flesh and blood? A power supply and new case is nothing for someone even working a part time minimum wage job when you have zero living expenses.

I mean I can see splitting up some of the loot but if the gift was as a result of the younger brother then it's only fair he gets the lions share.

MUnited83

For you.
Holy fuck at claming not being able to buy a PSU for his brother when the fucker had a double monitor build already prior to this.

mdubs

Banned

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

Clearly there are some people who are not ok with letting his brother get screwed out the stuff and are asking questions about this? Empathy is a mysterious thing I suppose

KevinCow

Banned
Stealing the stuff from his brother is one thing, but why would he make a post on the internet bragging about stealing it? How could he not see the backlash coming from a mile away? Is he really that stupid and/or delusional that he thinks what he did was okay?

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

Ah, the stealing from your autistic brother defense force is right on time.

I love the " it wouldnt fit in his case, the psu isnt strong enough!" Whats your excuse for not giving him ONE of your three widescreen monitors you irredeemable piece of shit?

jett

D-Member
IF you do a nice thing you do a nice thing. This is like when you give a homeless guy $5. Yeah he might use it to feed himself, or he might use it to buy beer or meth. But you did the nice thing. Not sure what investigating this further or trying to send this kid more shit will accomplish. The kind of person who does this clearly has no shame, so what's the point in trying to shame him? If I were AMD or anyone else I would absolutely not send this family any more shit.

Agreed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If the other homeless guy was his brother and he was really just manipulating his bro into giving him the $5 what can you do?

You can tell the other homeless guy to fuck off, which is what AMD_james is doing.

I mean, Christ, if you (impersonal you) gave to charity, and your donation doesn't reach it's intended destination because some asshole swiped it along the way, will you just throw up your hands and go "not my problem"? Because that's what I'm reading. That's a pretty irresponsible attitude, and tells me that you weren't being altruistic with the donation at all. You were probably donating to fulfill your own sense of self-satisfaction.

Given that we're talking about a corporation's PR stunt here, I wouldn't have been surprised if they just washed their hands of it, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. Except AMD_james is doing a hell of a job showing his concern publicly and trying to affect the outcome in his own, reasonable way. God know it's more than most people would do in his position, including you.

NastyBook

Poor AMD_James

He really wants to tell that guy hes a massive fucktard, but has to keep his PR persona on
invoker-laugh.gif
You could tell he was fuming with the part about sending parts to people in the future.

Brother's a shitlord.

norm9

I'm not surprised. Disappointed but not surprised. My older siblings weren't like this but I could kinda see how I would be like this if I got gifted a bounty.

What a fuck.

Also I hate that reddit's name so much and I'm unsurprised a high schooler is posting there, I say that as an advocate for PC gaming as well.

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

trying to match the level of the older brother no doubt.

Risible

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

C'mon, just give your brother the video card back.

Valnen

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

This monster stole from a special needs child for his own selfish reasons. He deserves whatever he gets.

You can tell the other homeless guy to fuck off, which is what AMD_james is doing.

I mean, Christ, if you (impersonal you) gave to charity, and your donation doesn't reach it's intended destination because some asshole swiped it along the way, will you just throw up your hands and go "not my problem"? Because that's what I'm reading. That's a pretty irresponsible attitude, and tells me that you weren't being altruistic with the donation at all. You were probably donating to fulfill your own sense of self-satisfaction.

Given that we're talking about a corporation's PR stunt here, I wouldn't have been surprised if they just washed their hands of it, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. Except AMD_james is doing a hell of a job showing his concern publicly and trying to affect the outcome in his own, reasonable way. God know it's more than most people would do in his position, including you.

In those situations you are describing theft. This, as shitty as it is, is not theft, at least not in the sense that there are legal ramifications involved. What is AMD gonna do? Call the cops? It's a brother taking advantage of his younger sibling and a family by all accounts not giving a shit. I'm not defending it. It's shitty. But there is little that can be done. Sending them more stuff with the pinky swear that this time it will really go to the brother is just rewarding them for being shit heads and will likely be just more swag that will end up with big brother. Shaming them on social media or message boards is just going to make them more defensive and, as I said before, you can't shame someone who already has none. It's a pointless exercise.

Sending the kid a new graphics card and monitor was a nice gesture and good PR, but they probably should have thought about some of the potential issues like the low end power supply in the first place. I wouldn't say the older brother is a complete asshole. He did upgrade his brother's machine in the first place and he at least gave the kid his original 24" middle monitor. Obviously, he should have known better, but I'm guessing this will make him come around as long as the internet doesn't start sending him death threats as it's wont to do.

Valnen

In those situations you are describing theft. This, as shitty as it is, is not theft, at least not in the sense that there are legal ramifications involved. What is AMD gonna do? Call the cops? It's a brother taking advantage of his younger sibling and a family by all accounts not giving a shit. I'm not defending it. It's shitty. But there is little that can be done. Sending them more stuff with the pinky swear that this time it will really go to the brother is just rewarding them for being shit heads and will likely be just more swag that will end up with big brother. Shaming them on social media or message boards is just going to make them more defensive and, as I said before, you can't shame someone who already has none. It's a pointless exercise.

This is exactly the same as the situations you just quoted. It is by your own words, theft.

If it was up to me, the older brother would be in jail for this, but I know in reality that can't happen.

This is exactly the same as the situations you just quoted. It is by your own words, theft.

If it was up to me, the older brother would be in jail for this, but I know in reality that can't happen.

What is "up to you" and what is law are two different things. A situation where someone is stealing from a charity is against the law. This, as shitty as it is, is not that. The brother (and likely his parents) are already reasoning in their heads the Debo defense of "It'll be like it's both of ours, we just keep it in my room". They don't think they are doing anything wrong. I disagree with them. I think the brother is a selfish little shit. I feel sorry for the younger brother who doesn't appear to have a good support system in place considering his issues. But there is almost no resolution to this story that will likely end with the brother walking downstairs and giving lil'bro his monitor back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom