• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD sends autistic boy parts for a gming PC, dickhead brother takes it for himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a colossal prick. And he would have gotten away with it if he wasn't interested in e-peen after the fact.

I have to ask, where are the parents? Where are his friends? Why is no one teaching him that this is a Dick move? Someone needs to show him the Simpsons episode where Homer gets Marge a bowling ball with his name on it for her birthday.

He would just take it for himself, and give his brother his old pc if he's lucky. Who knows maybe he'll need 2 PCs to play games on dual monitors, and read reddit on the other pc to reduce lag.

No the kid will give it to his friend before his brother like he's gonna do with the parts he replaced.

Technically he didn't steal anything because the AMD letter never explicitly said it was for the little brother. The letter is addressed to the 17 year old, the package was sent to the 17 year old, and all AMD said was they hoped both of them enjoyed it.

Mass One

What a absolute trashbag. Straight up took advantage over his little brother. And by the responsive from the PR guy didn't even mention the PSU issue; so it just seems like a excuse. Disgusting, I imagine his next excuse is going to be like it wasn't expressly sent to him edit:the little brother.

Aurongel

AMD keeping it classy, which is cool to see. But that brother is a dick and the real blame here should be on their parents.

norm9

AMD keeping it classy, which is cool to see. But that brother is a dick and the real blame here should be on their parents.

Nah, can't really blame the parents for not knowing about technology. Old people are stupid. They trust the youngin's to let them know about stuff like this, but they're kept in the dark.

RobbieNick

I love how he's blaming the 250W PSU but still keeps the widescreen monitor which is powered separately.

Also, it doesn't cost much for a new PSU. I got a 750W one for $75. There's really no excuses here.

Miracle

Not only he screwed his own younger brother, but he could very well screw other children in AMDs ever sending free stuff to them ever again.

That's messed up.

Cheerilee

I remember when I was a kid, we had a Super Nintendo hooked up to the living room TV, and my older brother (with his first job) bought his own SNES for the smaller TV he had in his own room, and one Christmas my parents gave me a new SNES game, and my brother said "Woo hoo, let's go upstairs and play it" so we ran up to his room and played two player, and we laughed and had a great time. The game was left next to his SNES, and sometimes he would play my game without asking me, and I would go into his room and play my games, and his games, all the time. When I finally got my own SNES, I looked over the pile of games in his room and went "Mine, mine, mine... Was this one mine or yours, I can't remember. Oh hey, Chrono Trigger, Ima borrow this shit. I'll get it back to you whenever."

Installing a video card and setting up triple-monitors when the younger brother's computer only has a 4:3 piece of shit does look pretty sketchy, but the older brother might be serious when he says that his brother can play in his room whenever he wants, and that he's not "taking" the good parts, he's just putting them where they have the most effect.

Of course, he could just be a miserable piece of shit. I'm just saying that from what I know of brotherly bonds and communal property, he might not be.

Lol I'm a brother and I would have just bought my own. Does he have a job? He's a loser. Personally I don't mess with anyone's stuff and they don't mine. Kinda wired like that.

Heh. Internet in typical fashion taking their mob justice thing overboard.

Call the guy a douche bag, dumb ass, etc, etc and move on.

What the fuck are you people doing with your pathetic lives that you have to dig through the trash to find more dirt on this dude?

Makes your blood boil?

Seriously?

Asshole siblings are dime a dozen. This person is not *your* asshole sibling.

empathy how does it work?

I remember when I was a kid, we had a Super Nintendo hooked up to the living room TV, and my older brother (with his first job) bought his own SNES for the smaller TV he had in his own room, and one Christmas my parents gave me a new SNES game, and my brother said "Woo hoo, let's go upstairs and play it" so we ran up to his room and played two player, and we laughed and had a great time. The game was left next to his SNES, and sometimes he would play my game without asking me, and I would go into his room and play my games, and his games, all the time. When I finally got my own SNES, I looked over the pile of games in his room and went "Mine, mine, mine... Was this one mine or yours, I can't remember. Oh hey, Chrono Trigger, Ima borrow this shit. I'll get it back to you whenever."

Installing a video card and setting up triple-monitors when the younger brother's computer only has a 4:3 piece of shit does look pretty sketchy, but the older brother might be serious when he says that his brother can play in his room whenever he wants, and that he's not "taking" the good parts, he's just putting them where they have the most effect.

Of course, he could just be a miserable piece of shit. I'm just saying that from what I know of brotherly bonds and communal property, he might not be.

You had 3 SNES' growing up?

My brothers and I shared a single bedroom with a single TV and a single SNES until I was damn near 12.

Anyways, I doubt they'll be doing a bunch of couch co-op on PC. Even with his 3 monitor rig.

He gave the kid the 24" 1080p monitor he had in the middle of his setup. Running native 2560x1440 at a decent frame rate is hard when you don't have a quality video card.

I don't know. I understand his justifications. I think it's clear based on the age of the account and type of post that he was trying for sympathy freebies, though.

The kid is a selfish little shit and it's normal to feel upset about this injustice but...
Jesus christ at the anger here.

How about directing all this energy to where you can make a difference eh?
Go volunteer in an animal shelter, donate to a charity or cancer research or idk... recycle your trash.

The Cowboy

empathy how does it work?
I always love this kind of your thing, its basically if you're not fully on board with attacking the older brother, then you must not empathize with the younger brother - it's a completely ridiculous cop out.

Just because the person isn't for attacking the older brother (and joining in with the rest of the Internet mob), it doesn't mean they don't have empathy for the younger one.

Where the fuck are the parents in all this? If my child did something like that to his younger brother I would smack the shit out of him and he would then be gaming on a 1024x768 res monitor.

The kid is a selfish little shit and it's normal to feel upset about this injustice but...

Go volunteer in an animal shelter, donate to a charity or cancer research or idk... recycle your trash.

I did both of these last week, dude is still a twat.

Maximus.

How do you fucking sleep at night

With all three monitors off probably. People need to realize the parents probably don't know what's going on and don't know about the uproar on the Internet. For all they know, AMD donated the parts to the older brother.

I always love this kind of your thing, its basically if you're not fully on board with attacking the older brother, then you must not empathize with the younger brother - it's a completely ridiculous cop out.

Just because the person isn't for attacking the older brother (and joining in with the rest of the Internet mob), it doesn't mean they don't have empathy for the younger one.

because meta-vagueposting about "mob justice" in a thread full of people conscious that they can't do shit about this needed a defense force

Glass Joe

How the hell do you do this? How do you think it's somehow right enough to brag on the internet about it?

Classy response from AMD.

Technically he didn't steal anything because the AMD letter never explicitly said it was for the little brother. The letter is addressed to the 17 year old, the package was sent to the 17 year old, and all AMD said was they hoped both of them enjoyed it.

Yeah, and if he works and studies like he says he does, I really dont see how his brother doesnt end up enjoying the parts

Mr_eX

While I do think it was a very selfish thing to do, I think people are overreacting a bit. This is a case of a dumb high school kid being a dumb high school kid.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
While I do think it was a very selfish thing to do, I think people are overreacting a bit. This is a case of a dumb high school kid being a dumb high school kid.

Come on, he stole a gift from his younger AUTISTIC BROTHER ans the poor kids playing on a 4:3 monitor, yet this guy gets 3 1080p monitors. Its taking advantage of what was suppose to be a kind situation

The Cowboy

Assuming the brother is telling the truth, it makes sense.
It really does, after reading the original reddit post and actually reading the letter that was sent to him with all the parts - i'm not quite understanding all the anger.

The parts were sent to the the older brother, the letter very clearly states that the stuff is for them both to enjoy and the older brother is very clearly stating that the younger brother can use his PC with all the parts in it whenever he wants - so I'm really don't get the major anger over this at all.

It really does, after reading the original reddit post and actually reading the letter that was sent to him with all the parts - i'm not quite understanding all the anger is coming from on this.

The parts were sent to the the older brother, the letter very clearly states that the stuff is for them both to enjo and the older brother is very clearly stating that the younger brother can use his PC with all the parts in it whenever he wants - so I'm really don't get the major anger over this at all.

IMO the biggest thing is that he took the monitor for himself (and now he has three) while his little brother is stuck with a super old one.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It really does, after reading the original reddit post and actually reading the letter that was sent to him with all the parts - i'm not quite understanding all the anger is coming from on this.

The parts were sent to the the older brother, the letter very clearly states that the stuff is for them both to enjoy and the older brother is very clearly stating that the younger brother can use his PC with all the parts in it whenever he wants - so I'm really don't get the major anger over this at all.

Yeah, me too. The AMD response seems out of line, since the letter was very clearly addressed to the older brother.

I dont like car analogies, but imagine Porsche decides to gift a Porsche Cayenne, Boxster etc. to the brothers, but the intention is clear it is intended for the autistic one, because he only has a 20 year old Golf, while the brother already has a Mercedes SLK. The brother says "sure, you can drive around in my Porsche. But we can try to upgrade your old Golf, while I put the Porsche in my garage next to my Mercedes SLK.

It is a totally shitty move and judging by the response of the AMD representative it is clear that the PC parts were intended for the autistic boy, not for the brother who already seems to have a pretty beefy or at least midrange PC, while the autistic boy is playing on a potato.

Yeah, me too. The AMD response seems out of line, since the letter was very clearly addressed to the older brother.

If I send a letter to a family with a disabled person, of course I would send it to the one who isnt autistic. Besides the letter states about upgrading the brothers PC...
How can you read that its meant to upgrade the asshole brothers PC. It states in the letter "Joy at upgrading his (autistic boy) PC for a better gaming and visual experience."

The issue stems mostly that nobody really believes he'll have free access to it (even if he could use it the older brother will probably have priority since it's in his room and that he's older) combined with the face the younger brother's actual rig essentially got shit from the gift as the older brother's previous GPU is going to his friend.

Not to mention AMD themselves said they'd rather have just sent them a better PSU just so the younger brother could have the full package.

jediyoshi

It really does, after reading the original reddit post and actually reading the letter that was sent to him with all the parts - i'm not quite understanding all the anger.

Why is your impression taking precedent here? The AMD representative responding literally said that wasn't what they were intending. It's not some ambiguous wording at fault here. They shouldn't have to explicitly say exactly what the parts were for, it's rather fucking obvious.

Chiggs

Gold Member

I healed a wounded duck just last Saturday.

Don't you ever fucking judge me, pally boy. ;)

Do you want them to have a press conference or something?

LOL

Euron

The worst part about this is that AMD did a genuinely great thing for somebody but the response they received tells them what they did was for nothing (well probably not anymore at least) which might discourage them from doing the same thing in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom