• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD VEGA: Leaked TimeSpy DX12 benchmark?

ISee

There is an entry in the TimeSpy Database for a new GPU. The unknown AMD graphics card is supposed to be Vega because it is running at a low memory clock of 700 MHz, which would be more typical for HBM memory instead of GDDR5. But 700 MHz are also a bit too low for HBM2, which is expected to run between 800-1000 MHz. Still, this might be an early Vega 10 prototype.
The database also mentions a core clock of 1,200 MHz and a memory configuration of 8 GiByte.

The unknown card reaches 5721 points in the TimeSpy benchmark and is faster than the R9 Fury X (~5200 points, currently the fastest AMD GPU). For comparison: A Geforce GTX 1070 reaches around 5,600 points and a GTX 1080 around 6,800 points (no overclocks).

Please keep in mind: It's normal for prototype like hardware to run at lower speeds. The current drivers are also probably in an early state and final performance will be better.

vega_leak4nk60.jpg

3D Mark TimeSpy Score

update:

There seems to be a new VEGA patch for linux, which gives us a bit more insight into VEGA specs.

[PATCH 048/100] drm/amdgpu: implement GFX 9.0 support

When comparing raw numbers Vega seems to be at the same level as Fiji, but it is produced at 14nm instead of 28nm and the memory interface is faster. (Still 4096 shader units, 2048-bit wide memory interface).

Overall the differences aren't mind-blowing, on paper. But Vega should at least reach much higher clock speeds then Fiji and there are more architectural benefits, for sure.

Code:
	switch (adev->asic_type) {
+	case CHIP_VEGA10:
+		adev->gfx.config.max_shader_engines = 4;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_tile_pipes = 8; //??
+		adev->gfx.config.max_cu_per_sh = 16;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_sh_per_se = 1;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_backends_per_se = 4;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_texture_channel_caches = 16;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_gprs = 256;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_gs_threads = 32;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_hw_contexts = 8;

Old Fiji for context:

Code:
case CHIP_FIJI:
adev->gfx.config.max_shader_engines = 4;
adev->gfx.config.max_tile_pipes = 16;
adev->gfx.config.max_cu_per_sh = 16;
adev->gfx.config.max_sh_per_se = 1;
adev->gfx.config.max_backends_per_se = 4;
adev->gfx.config.max_texture_channel_caches = 16;
adev->gfx.config.max_gprs = 256;
adev->gfx.config.max_gs_threads = 32;
adev->gfx.config.max_hw_contexts = 8;

Also Videocardz's response regarding the myriad of Vega 'leaks':
https://videocardz.com/69040/amd-ra...p-edition-packaging-leaked#comment-3282921662

update 2:

A new entry in the CompuBench database was spotted. The entry bears the name gfx 9000 (polaris is gfx 8) and has 64 Compute Units. This is also the first AMD GPU reaching 1600 MHz. We don't know if this is a consumer or a professional Vega variant.
The card still has 64 Compute Units. If AMD kept the same principles for GFX9 architecture (64 cores per cluster), then we should expect 4096 shaders. Making this a 13.1 tflop card. Lately, AMD needed significantly more raw power to get to Nvidia performance levels.

Wondering about price.
Considering a GTX 1070 can be found between 360 to 400 euros and a GTX 1080 can be found between 460 to 500 euros, they'll have to be really competitive.

finalflame

Gold Member
Vega will probably disappoint
AMD has done little but disappoint in the high end enthusiast segment for the past few years. Time after time. Their mid-level stuff is competitive, but I doubt whatever Vega is will move the 1080Ti out of the < $1k performance king spot.

Caayn

Wondering about price.
Considering a GTX 1070 can be found between 360 to 400 euros and a GTX 1080 can be found between 460 to 500 euros, they'll have to be really competitive.
Not where I live. The cheapest 1070 is €410 and the 1080 starts at €550.

llien

There are many leaks of this kind, they are pretty close to worthless being so easy to fake.

What we know for sure about Vega is that the bigger chip is bigger than 1080Ti/Titan.
It is likely running at 1500+ Mhz base clock (given Tflops figure from AMD slides)

ISee

Where can you find the 1080 for that, an online retailer?

For example at amazon.de. Of course we aren't talking about high end 1080s here, but it's still a good value for 500&#8364;. For comparison the Asus Strix 1070 costs ~ 480&#8364;.

This is an old picture now and it can be pretty much anything.

Isn't the windows build (64-bit Windows 10 - 10.0.15063) an indication for a system running windows 10 + the new creators update? It's also not just a picture, I also posted a link to the TimeSpy entry.

saunderez

I refuse to believe that after nearly 2 years of development and a process shrink the best AMD can do is moderately faster than the Fury X. I believe that these results could come from a AMD prototype but I'd be very surprised if its representative of final Vega release.

Reallink

How many Vega line cards are there expected to be, surely at least 2 or 3? Assuming this is like a $329 1070 competitor, not bad. If it's their 1080 or 1080Ti equivalent, Nvidia about to announce new price increases on the 1080 and Ti, and a 2 year delay on Volta.

For example at amazon.de. Of course we aren't talking about high end 1080s here, but it's still a good value for 500€. For comparison the Asus Strix 1070 costs ~ 480€.

Isn't the windows build (64-bit Windows 10 - 10.0.15063) an indication for a system running windows 10 + the new creators update? It's also not just a picture, I also posted a link to the TimeSpy entry.

It's not that old but the pic has been around the internet for about a week now.

ISee

How many Vega line cards are there expected to be, surely at least 2 or 3? Assuming this is like a $329 1070 competitor, not bad. If it's their 1080 or 1080Ti equivalent, Nvidia about to announce new price increases on the 1080 and Ti, and a 2 year delay on Volta.

$330 are in the RX 580 range. $440 starting price sound more likely to me, but that's just an assumption.
We had three Fury version: the nano, the fury and the fury X. We will, probably, get the same with Vega.

It's not that old but the pic has been around the internet for about a week now.

Oh sorry, I searched for a NeoGaf thread about it but wasn't able to finde one.

Not even rumor mill website Videocardz will post those results, the owner said he has seen multiple wildly different Vega results and the most likely case is none of them are real.

I mean just yesterday there's a new Timespy score of 9200 from a supposed Vega GPU running at 1600MHz, which would make it faster than a 1080Ti.

source?

Not even rumor mill website Videocardz will post those results, the owner said he has seen multiple wildly different Vega results and the most likely case is none of them are real.

I mean just yesterday there's a new Timespy score of 9700 from a supposed Vega GPU running at 1600MHz, which would make it faster than a 1080Ti.

Steel

Banned
I seriously doubt this is the full cut Vega. It would be worse than a fury x then which makes no sense.

Timespy question. Why does a gamong laptop require higher specs than a gaming PC?

The new gaming laptop spec for timespy is a full fat 1070.

Edit: Scratch that actually, I remember it being a 1070 last time I checked timespy, but it seems the laptop has a 980 while the gaming PC has a 970.

Reallink

$330 are in the RX 580 range. $440 starting price sound more likely to me, but that's just an assumption.
We had three Fury version: the nano, the fury and the fury X. We will, probably, get the same with Vega.

Oh sorry, I searched for a NeoGaf thread about it but wasn't able to finde one.

source?

Huh? In US dollars, 580's are like $230. 1070's official MSRP is $349. I can't imagine how this card at this proposed performance would make any sense at $440+.

Kieli

Huh? In US dollars, 580's are like $230. 1070's official MSRP is $349. I can't imagine how this card at this proposed performance would make any sense at $440+.

It's kinda dumb how 1070s are almost double the MSRP in CAD. I mean, our dollar is garbage, but not THAT garbage.

ethomaz

Banned
Well I expect Vega to be around GTX 1080 in terms of performance that is not bad if it was launched last year with Polaris.

GTX 1080 performance a year late is a huge disappointment.

It will be launch areas dead.

Firenze1

Banned
Well I expect Vega to be around GTX 1080 in terms of performance that is not bad if it was launched last year with Polaris.

yeah same as fury x.

Let's be honest here - even if it was faster than a 1080 hardly anyone is going to buy it because Nvidia mindshare.

Durante

Let's be honest here - even if it was faster than a 1080 hardly anyone is going to buy it because Nvidia mindshare.
Or simply because most people who want a GPU in that performance tier already bought one. To really change that they need to be either less late or more disruptive in terms of performance or pricing.

Firenze1

Banned
Or simply because most people who want a GPU in that performance tier already bought one. To really change that they need to be either less late or more disruptive in terms of performance or pricing.

pricing needs to be good for me to buy one. 499 or bust.

llien

I would call it market share. People tend to stick with the same brand and also are biased in favor of what they have bought.

1080 chip is 314 square mm.
Vega around 500.

Vega only beating 1080 would be a disaster.

Firenze1

Banned
I would call it market share. People tend to stick with the same brand and also are biased in favor of what they have bought.

1080 chip is 314 square mm.
Vega around 500.

Vega only beating 1080 would be a disaster.

I support AMD (i bought ryzen) but are are good at creating disasters :/

llien

I support AMD (i bought ryzen) but are are good at creating disasters :/

This kind of disparity has never happened in the past, at least in my memory.
AMD/nVidia chips of the similar size were within 10-15% of each other.

It doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it would be something rather new... :)

GeoNeo

I disagree.
OP should be updated this score is of little VEGA NOT FULL VEGA CHIP. The bigger chip has much higher score like llien posted comparable to 1080 Ti & faster than Titan X (2016)...if these scores are legit of course.

ISee

I always thought $ and &#8364; prices are comparable. I'm wrong it seems, but of course EU prices are with included tax, so maybe that's the difference.

That's just a screenshot without a direct link to 3DMark though.

OP should be updated this score is of little VEGA NOT FULL VEGA CHIP. The bigger chip has much higher score like llien posted comparable to 1080 Ti & faster than Titan X (2016)...if these scores are legit of course.

I'm trying to find a 3dmark link to that screenshot. If I do, I'll gladly update the first post. Just posting a screenshot isn't enough in this day 'n age, a 3dmark database entry on the other side is at least a bit harder to fake.

ISee

There seems to be a new VEGA patch for linux, which gives us a bit more insight into VEGA specs.

[PATCH 048/100] drm/amdgpu: implement GFX 9.0 support

When comparing raw numbers Vega seems to be at the same level as Fiji, but it is produced at 14nm instead of 28nm and the memory interface is faster. (Still 4096 shader units, 2048-bit wide memory interface).

Overall the differences aren't mind-blowing, on paper. But Vega should at least reach much higher clock speeds then Fiji and there are more architectural benefits, for sure.

Code:
+	case CHIP_VEGA10:
+		adev->gfx.config.max_shader_engines = 4;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_tile_pipes = 8; //??
+		adev->gfx.config.max_cu_per_sh = 16;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_sh_per_se = 1;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_backends_per_se = 4;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_texture_channel_caches = 16;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_gprs = 256;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_gs_threads = 32;
+		adev->gfx.config.max_hw_contexts = 8;

Renekton

Old Fiji for context:

Code:
case CHIP_FIJI:
adev->gfx.config.max_shader_engines = 4;
adev->gfx.config.max_tile_pipes = 16;
adev->gfx.config.max_cu_per_sh = 16;
adev->gfx.config.max_sh_per_se = 1;
adev->gfx.config.max_backends_per_se = 4;
adev->gfx.config.max_texture_channel_caches = 16;
adev->gfx.config.max_gprs = 256;
adev->gfx.config.max_gs_threads = 32;
adev->gfx.config.max_hw_contexts = 8;

Also Videocardz's response regarding the myriad of Vega 'leaks':
https://videocardz.com/69040/amd-ra...p-edition-packaging-leaked#comment-3282921662

Cautiously interested. I really really want to take advantage of my damn Freesync monitor but, at least here in my country, still haven't found a good enough reason(price and performance) to upgrade my 970 to an AMD card. Come the fuck on AMD.

ISee

With a descent clock of 1500 MHz this could still reach GTX 1080 level of performance. Not the breakthrough 4k under 600€ card that some of us hoped for (or just me) but still ~50% faster than polaris 10, which isn't bad. The real problem with that kind of performance: No huge advantage for people on 1070, 1080 or 1080Ti cards.

ethomaz

Banned
How reliable is this chart for HBM costs?

88zb5hy.jpg
How reliable I don't know but HBM is way more expensive to implement than GDDR5.

HBM2 makes the implementation probably 20-30% cheaper compared with HBM... that is still way more expensive than GDDR5.

To be fair I don't see future for HBM outside HPC GPUs... gaming GPUs won't need the HBM bandwidth that not make the addiction cost worth.

dr_rus

No 3DMark DB link = fake. It's also highly unlikely that an upclocked and optimized Fiji will ever be able to compete with GP102, just going off pure logic.

There is no "little Vega" right now, the only chip which is appearing everywhere is the one which they've showed several months ago aka Vega 10 aka Greenland.

With a descent clock of 1500 MHz this could still reach GTX 1080 level of performance. Not the breakthrough 4k under 600€ card that some of us hoped for (or just me) but still ~50% faster than polaris 10, which isn't bad. The real problem with that kind of performance: No huge advantage for people on 1070, 1080 or 1080Ti cards.
Steady 1500Mhz would be an amazing clock for Vega 10.

AmFreak

Meanwhile you can get a 1070 for $340 (312&#8364;) and a 1080 for $490 (448&#8364;) in the US.

Always amazes me how expensive PC gaming is overseas.
Yeah, but the de price is including taxes.
The 1080 is 408&#8364; without taxes and a 1070 is 315&#8364; without taxes.

I refuse to believe that after nearly 2 years of development and a process shrink the best AMD can do is moderately faster than the Fury X. I believe that these results could come from a AMD prototype but I'd be very surprised if its representative of final Vega release.

And why is that ? AMD still haven't released any 14nm card that could replace radeon 290 from 2013.

Top Bottom