• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's first ray tracing demo

Filippos

Banned
tenor.gif

Verchod

Ok. I'm sure there's loads going on but it didn't look that interesting and it seemed like it was all about reflections rather than using light in a space.
Hopefully there'll be more demos to come.

Ascend

Ok. I'm sure there's loads going on but it didn't look that interesting and it seemed like it was all about reflections rather than using light in a space.
Hopefully there'll be more demos to come.
Thats definitely NOT how you demo RTX. More embarrassing cause Minecraft did it better
Agreed...

AMD's graphics marketing still has a lot to learn apparently.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, like, I get the point that it was trying to make, but it felt really weird lmao. It felt like one of those " amazing at the time" CG music videos that woo'd and wow'd everyone then, but everyone just laughs at now. The framerate certainly didn't help with that either.

That being said, I have no doubt AMD will pull it off, and that's great! More competition is always welcomed! Ray tracing looks like it can do some really cool things, so I'm excited to see it more and more!

Last edited:

Ascend

Meh on visuals side of things.

Need to know what was honestly RT-d and what was rasterized, to judge the technical side.

The first AMD RT demo that I recall is this running on Vega 56:

Technically yes. But this is the first one using DXR, i.e. dedicated hardware for RT. Maybe I should have added DXR to the title.

llien

Technically yes. But this is the first one using DXR, i.e. dedicated hardware for RT. Maybe I should have added DXR to the title.

Oh, I realize that.
My point was, older V56 looks cooler, than this very shiny thing with lots of reflections.

The point of DXR demo, if it was for the public and not developers, was to create WOW effect. It has failed miserably, if so.
Perhaps game devs could be impressed by number of rays this demo hints to use.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ewww, just Ewww.

It's so gaudy and overwhelming. Nvidia did it with style and the raytracing wasn't fucking everything. It focus on the main character rather than the hall of mirrors we see here.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Oh gawd.. This is not the way to make an impressive demo, it feels more like someone clueless couldn't help themselves.. I'm surprised that the smart guys at AMD (or the smart guys at MS) okayed this.

..And this is coming from a self-proclaimed RT fanboy..

Last edited:

Ascend

Oh gawd.. This is not the way to make an impressive demo, it feels more like someone clueless couldn't help themselves.. I'm surprised that the smart guys at AMD (or the smart guys at MS) okayed this.

..And this is coming from a self-proclaimed RT fanboy..
There are two possibilities that I see. Either

a) DX12 Ultimate being co-developed by nVidia with MS, AMD was notified at the last minute of the DX12U announcement and AMD had to put something together at the last minute, which produced this.

or

b) AMD really is THAT incompetent in marketing.

DaGwaphics

That's actually a really good RT demo (a massive amount of compute work there), these effects are certainly not possible on a 360. With that said, the subject matter is probably my biggest fear for the upcoming RT era, everything is glass, chrome or shiny plastic. LOL Resolution will be low and performance sluggish, but wow, just look at the number of mirrors you can have on one screen.

Edit: Trailer back story as read by the honest trailer guys: In a world where the only thing to fear is Matte Finish...

Last edited:

Vasto

That's actually a really good RT demo (a massive amount of compute work there), these effects are certainly not possible on a 360. With that said, the subject matter is probably my biggest fear for the upcoming RT era, everything is glass, chrome or shiny plastic. LOL Resolution will be low and performance sluggish, but wow, just look at the number of mirrors you can have on one screen.

Edit: Trailer back story as read by the honest trailer guys: In a world where the only thing to fear is Matte Finish...

Totally agree, very impressive with what they did.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I foresee that too.

I remember seeing RT images of a dark cavern with torches, and somehow it made rock looks shiny.

I guarantee anyone walking into a dark room and carrying a flashlight it will light up the area, but it'll be more or a matte finish unless that material is metallic or has a reflective coating/smoothness to it to allow light to reflect. Just because you have light sources bouncing off a wall, doesn't mean you got light rays going everywhere making it look like a sci-fi movie. Most people's paint on the wall is a matte finish anyway.

Shining a flashlight on a brown cardboard box is not going to allow you to see your reflection. Hyperbolic statement. Yes. But you guys know what I mean.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

Not very impressive considering the apparent choppiness in a rendered area smaller than a fighting game stage. Then again the best running example of full rt from nvidia is in a 20+ year old shooter. RT is going to be a mistake on consoles i hope developers use it sparingly.

Dabaus

Banned
Meh on visuals side of things.

Need to know what was honestly RT-d and what was rasterized, to judge the technical side.

The first AMD RT demo that I recall is this running on Vega 56:

If next gen consoles can pull that off we're in for a treat. Any idea if both ps5 and series x can run that?

bCkJpcb.gif

These raytraced reflection continue to look like an overhyped performance destroying "solution" to a problem almost no one had

It’s like when they first introduced pixels. It was a performance hog on older tech until it caught up. We’re currently moving from snes/megadrive to n64/ps1 generation of my pixels/ray tracing analogy. I hope that makes sense.

By that metric I can’t see ray tracing being fully implemented properly until one or two more gens of consoles. We’re just seeing the edge benefits of it now.

The thing is. When the hardware becomes capable of handling it, a lot of the faked lighting and shadows that games use currently can drop away and that power can be used for other things, all in all it will be better in the long run.

Last edited:

Diddy X

It's probably running in real time whilst this V

Yeah, I don't doubt AMD will match Turing in feature set and performance with RDNA2 but this is not a great look when your main competitor has DXR demos from two years ago with this level of artistic fidelity:

is not, there is no point in showing something like the star wars video, this is videogames not movies so we need to see what real time will look like.

Whitecrow

Banned
2020 and people still dont know what a tech demo is.

*omg everything so shiny blah blah blah*

But at the end of the day, nothing can showcase RT goals like a lot of reflective surfaces, and this showcases it perfectly.

EDIT

And even with that, still some people call it 'a bunch of mirrors'.
The blindest one, is who dont wanna see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom