• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America not getting regular size N3DS, confirmed.

nynt9

Reggie is president of NoA, idolised to no end for seemingly no reason then makes decisions like this and gets away with it?

Reggie was instrumental in this decision and everyone knows it. I don't really get the massive amount of respect he commands

It's been a year or so now since Iwata took reins of NoA. Now Iwata is in charge of everything.

Einbroch

Banned
I am trying to understand why anyone would want a regular 3DS. Please, help me.

The New 3DS (regular) has a larger screen than the original 3DS, but not as large as the XL. It was a happy medium between those that wanted a larger screen but didn't like the loss in resolution in the XL.

Plus, faceplates, for those that like them.

Conan-san

Region locking finally making a huge impact on part of the western world.

And not when Europe got dicked out of SMT 4 for a year? Or the UK got exclusively fucked off on Inazuma Eleven.

This, THIS is what causes people to go "you know, that region locking is a thing we might not like?"

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
no big loss

bigger screens trump all

It's really more about offering people a choice. What you think is better may not be what someone else thinks is the better option for them.

Also, everywhere else got it, so it's kind of saying "fuck you America, we only think you need this one".

Sou Da

The GAF market is very small and weird, you see. Nintendo is not considering them and judging from the hilarious invective around here, I can't say I blame them.

The market for what is essentially a cheaper version of the same handheld is small and weird?

Spineker

Banned
And not when Europe got dicked out of SMT 4 for a year? Or the UK got exclusively fucked off on Inazuma Eleven.

This, THIS is what causes people to go "you know, that region locking is a thing we might not like?"

Uhhh, I think that has always been the case since region locking became a thing.

Orayn

I'm okay with this, I guess. Kinda wanted faceplates and I was slightly apprehensive about the glossy finish on the nXL, but the large screens and would have eventually won me over anyway.

Cream

Banned
The GAF market is very small and weird, you see. Nintendo is not considering them and judging from the hilarious invective around here, I can't say I blame them.

That would be pretty funny if every other region in the world didn't get the system.

PokéKong

What, do they not want all the money I'd spend on stylish cover plates? Do they crave all that sweet easy scalper money from rare limited edition consoles?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of understand the decision, but it's so illogical. I always kind of laugh off the NoA vitriol. I think they make some weird decisions, but I didn't expect something so boneheaded. Ugh.

I wanted an XL but was planning on a regular for my wife.

BooJoh

I can't even remember the last time I was this disappointed by them. This was literally the worst move they could have made this year. If there is some kind of petition, let me know so I can sign it. I'm already sending them tweets and email, and encouraging you all to do the same. I'm not buying this XL shit. They need to know they are losing sales.

What email address are you contacting them at?

Spineker

Banned
PokéKong;147389606 said:
What, do they not want all the money I'd spend on stylish cover plates? Do they crave all that sweet easy scalper money from rare limited edition consoles?

They can't even produce enough Amiibos or Gamecube adapters to satisfy those SIZEABLE crowds. What makes you think the faceplates would be any different

Mike Golf

I am trying to understand why anyone would want a regular 3DS. Please, help me.

Already noted but smaller means better portability and the smaller screen gives a much sharper image due to a larger pixel per inch count. This is especially relevant to the 3DS low relative resolution of 800x240. (In 3D mode).

Marcel

The market for what is essentially a cheaper version of the same handheld is small and weird?

The sales data of regular 3DS in NA is out there and is likely why there's no other SKU. Nintendo doesn't really care about its own enthusiasts in NA, in case you forgot the last decade or so.

Meffer

It seriously killed my mood for the rest of the direct. I have a Japanese regular n3ds and I love it. I really wanted a regular here for my US region games.
I'll have to get the XL, I'll settle for the MH edition. I just hope the XLs have clicky buttons and dpad like the regular. Can anyone who has the new XL confirm that?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Why are people defending this? If you prefer the XL this doesn't concern you, you're good to go. Some people for whatever reason prefer the small 3ds, why give them shit? especially when it's out in japan/Europe and Australia! Yes Australia!

kaioshade

Honestly, just when you think Nintendo starts to listen and actually care for their dedicated fans, they go and pull something like this.

Forget the fact that the regular n3DS isn't coming to NA for a minute - the fact that they're selling an electronic device without a power adapter is just confounding. I mean, honestly, how many people are going to purchase the new 3DS XL, go home, unbox it, only to find out there is no power adapter?

NOA never cared about their fans.

Effect

As said they might very well have the data that shows that the XL version vastly outsells the non-XL version once it was released. As a business it might not worth the additional cost to offer both versions. With the smaller version they have to worry about getting stores to stock and sell the face plates as well or handle that themselves. That's likely easier to do in Japan and it's why they didn't say anything on that front for such a long time when it came to the system outside of Japan.

Marcel

Why are people defending this? If you prefer the XL this doesn't concern you, you're good to go. Some people for whatever reason prefer the small 3ds, why give them shit? especially when it's out in japan/Europe and Australia! Yes Australia!

Nintendo should be shellacked. I'm just laughing at the invective of people that will probably cave and buy it anyway. The way it always goes.

Rnr1224

welp not buying either yet. gonna wait to see if nintendo ever brings the regular n3DS over or they come out with a special xenoblade XL.

I sold my 3DS XL a few months ago because I have no time for two gaming systems (I own a Wii U). However, I really liked the regular new 3DS with colored buttons and was very tempted to buy one.

Thanks you NA, my wallet is now safe!

Laconic

Banned
As said they might very well have the data that shows that the XL version vastly outsells the non-XL version and as a business it's not worth the additional cost to offer both versions. With the smaller version they have to worry about getting stores to stock and sell the face plates as well or handle that themselves. That's likely easier to do in Japan and it's why they didn't say anything on that front for such a long time when it came to the system outside of Japan.

Well then.

Do explain everywhere else getting them.

Can't say I care for faceplates... I'm getting the Majora's Mask LE bundle, so I'd want to have that design showing.

Nor do I want to scale back the size of my handheld from the current size of the XL. I keep my 3DS XL in my pockets and jacket (if it's super cold out) every day, and don't have any problems.

That being said, holy crap I can definitely see those faceplates being a huge money maker for Nintendo, and giving people the choice between larger and smaller devices is the right thing to do... even Apple got on board with it. C'mon Nintendo, you're really not doing a great job of getting this thing out there... but I'll still buy it.

The New 3DS (regular) has a larger screen than the original 3DS, but not as large as the XL. It was a happy medium between those that wanted a larger screen but didn't like the loss in resolution in the XL.

Plus, faceplates, for those that like them.

Yep

I actually DONT like how goddamn big the XL series is, believe or not.
Loss of PQ just exacerbates it.

Einbroch

Banned
Well then.

Do explain everywhere else getting them.

It's America. Different markets. That's a very, very easy explanation. America might like bigger handhelds. Phones went this way, Nintendo has research to know that it may be true for gaming devices.

Cream

Banned
Nintendo should be shellacked. I'm just laughing at the invective of people that will probably cave and buy it anyway. The way it always goes.

I'm honestly angry at how correct everything you're saying is. I was put off by your aggressive tone towards Nintendo fans in this thread, but I'm honestly having a lot of trouble not agreeing with you about all of this.

I'll still support the Wii U, but Nintendo has just lost a lot of good will from me, and now I'm completely skipping their handheld.

Instro

Because some feel the need to defend and downplay every lame decision the company makes.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
America is getting XL and XXL because cultural adaption

Top Bottom