• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

I'm absolutely loving this show!! Question though, how did
Laura get super strength? Is she like
one of the gods?

It's pretty much just because she's a zombie. Though I don't remember her explicitly being shown to have super strength in the book. The scene we're discussing didn't happen in the books (however, there is a similar moment much later) so it's mostly the writers / directors interpretation of it. She's not one of the gods,
it's just the coin he threw on her grave giving her life.

Shredderi

Bleh. I was hoping we would be rid of the wife. I always like it better when the brooding main character is rid of traditional sentimental ties. Boring episode. I don't care about the story of the skank.

Magwik

Banned
Bleh. I was hoping we would be rid of the wife. I always like it better when the brooding main character is rid of traditional sentimental ties. Boring episode. I don't care about the story of the skank.
Well that's a rather interesting take away from the episode

Blackhead

Redarse
I think the streaming app + spoiler issue needs to be clarified a bit. Cornballer? The videos don't seem to be early 'leaks' but instead a deliberate Starz release schedule. Even though I won't be watching the episodes on Sunday morning, I don't think those who do should put spoilers tags (I'll avoid the thread after Saturday night until I watch the episode...)

Anyway. This episode was an amazing adaptation, with great storytelling and characterization (even though, nobody actually likes Laura). This is just the grounding that the show needed imo after the disorientating first episodes. I can now recommend to friends that they stick around at least to the fourth and I'm fully onboard for the rest of the season

jrush64

Banned
Don't need to spoiler tag. She's supposed to protect him and in that scenario needing a lot of strength to do so.

It's pretty much just because she's a zombie. Though I don't remember her explicitly being shown to have super strength in the book. The scene we're discussing didn't happen in the books (however, there is a similar moment much later) so it's mostly the writers / directors interpretation of it. She's not one of the gods,
it's just the coin he threw on her grave giving her life.

Alright thanks.

I do like the wife. The scene with the other woman was hilarious.

Shredderi

Well that's a rather interesting take away from the episode

Well. Huh.

I don't expect to like everything. The show hasn't been "amazing" for me in the previous episodes either. It has an interesting setup but the show has been a bit slow for me and the flashback episode doesn't help. Might just be that the show is not for me even though I really wanted to like it, and I do kind of like it's setting but the show just isn't wowing me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think the streaming app + spoiler issue needs to be clarified a bit. Cornballer? The videos don't seem to be early 'leaks' but instead a deliberate Starz release schedule. Even though I won't be watching the episodes on Sunday morning, I don't think those who do should put spoilers tags (I'll avoid the thread after Saturday night until I watch the episode...

It's TV GAF policy to spoiler tag everything until it airs linearly on the East Coast in its regular time slot. Most people aren't even aware that episodes sometimes go up early on demand (not just for Starz shows - HBO and Showtime occasionally do it as well), which would make every thread a minefield.

Let me guess, you were #TeamWalt when you watched Breaking Bad.

Laura is more interesting, and better acted, than Shadow.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's TV GAF policy to spoiler tag everything until it airs linearly on the East Coast in its regular time slot. Most people aren't even aware that episodes sometimes go up early on demand (not just for Starz shows - HBO and Showtime occasionally do it as well), which would make every thread a minefield.
I know but this doesn't appear to be occasional occurrence. Many TV Show threads have the air time in the title/OP, so perhaps we could update this one too say "released Sundays 12:00 AM". We already have spoiler bars for book stuff here and the thread might be come unreadable if there are blacked out pages of streaming discussion

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know but this doesn't appear to be occasional occurrence.

It's pretty much a universal practice for Starz, but the vast majority of people aren't aware of that.

Many TV Show threads have the air time in the title/OP, so perhaps we could update this one too say "released Sundays 12:00 AM".

Sure, but no one reads the OP once a thread goes past the first page.

We already have spoiler bars for book stuff here and the thread might be come unreadable if there are blacked out pages of streaming discussion

That's why people need to label their spoilers (and also have the courtesy not to go overboard with them)

molnizzle

So something I wasn't too sure of about last week's episode—did the Jinn guy take over the salesman guy's body after they had sex, or did the Jinn guy disappear and the salesman guy just put on his clothes and assumed his identity?

Nikodemos

So something I wasn't too sure of about last week's episode—did the Jinn guy take over the salesman guy's body after they had sex, or did the Jinn guy disappear and the salesman guy just put on his clothes and assumed his identity?
The jinn took his blue suit and sample case, leaving him his (well some guy's) taxi licence (and the cool sweater and shades). The subtext is that, to white Anglo Americans all Arabs are generic brown people (since the licence photo looks like neither of the two).

molnizzle

The jinn took his blue suit and sample case, leaving him his (well some guy's) taxi licence (and the cool sweater and shades). The subtext is that, to white Anglo Americans all Arabs are generic brown people (since the licence photo looks like neither of the two).

Huh. So like a permanent switch, or he's just helping home dude out?

hydruxo

I...uh...I don't know what to say about this post.

[TW]Stone;237758913 said:
Never read the book. Is Wednesday the devil or just a god?

It's (kinda?) a spoiler, but if you're really curious then go look up the etymology of Wednesday on Wikipedia or Wiktionary or something.

I'm absolutely loving this show!! Question though, how did
Laura get super strength? Is she like
one of the gods?

She was given the Sun, which affords a certain amount of protection and power. Shadow has the Moon, which is also a protection, but not as powerful. The daughter, not the father.

The rooftop scene in Chicago explains this more or less, but the idea is that you're as bewildered as Shadow, so it's difficult to parse.

It's also why Sweeney is having a rough time, and went to Shadow to get it back. But Shadow had already given it away.

If you listen how the scary guy with the huge hammer calls him, you have your answer.

The guy with the hammer literally calls him by his God name.

If you haven't specifically studied the appropriate mythology in detail, you probably won't recognize the name. I've never heard it, so I didn't even notice he was called a name while watching the episode and only learned about it in this thread.

I finally watched episodes 2-4... What a glorious show this is. The episodes last an hour but it never feels like a chore to watch them. Great pacing, engaging subject and characters, some of the most arresting visuals in a series (as expected from Bryan Fuller). Everything feels right. So good.

molnizzle

If you haven't specifically studied the appropriate mythology in detail, you probably won't recognize the name. I've never heard it, so I didn't even notice he was called a name while watching the episode and only learned about it in this thread.

Yeah. Not sure why people keep bringing that up. That "name" went right over my head.

Chuckie

Yeah. Not sure why people keep bringing that up. That "name" went right over my head.

Seriously? Maybe that is an American thing? I'd bet most people in Europe know Wotan
/Wodan/Odin
. I also thought it was common knowledge that most of the days of the week are named after Gods.

If this show featured a guy named Mr Thursday, and he was a god, would you not know he was supposed to be Thor?

Edit: By 'American thing' I meant that it could be that Nordic mythology might be more common knowledge in Europe.

Seriously? Maybe that is an American thing? I'd bet most people in Europe know Wotan
/Wodan/Odin
. I also thought it was common knowledge that most of the days of the week are named after Gods.

If this show featured a guy named Mr Thursday, and he was a god, would you not know he was supposed to be Thor?

Edit: By 'American thing' I meant that it could be that Nordic mythology might be more common knowledge in Europe.
Greek mythology is the thing here, at least in my experience. Norse mythology is far less known than the Greek pantheon and stories

Blackhead

Redarse
Greek mythology is the thing here, at least in my experience. Norse mythology is far less known than the Greek pantheon and stories

But everybody's seen Thor 2 though. Surely they know some Norse mythology ;). Actually even though they know the names the biggest [book spoiler]
misconception is thinking Odin is the kindly good father figure...

But everybody's seen Thor 2 though. Surely they know some Norse mythology ;). Actually even though they know the names the biggest [book spoiler]
misconception is thinking Odin is the kindly good father figure...
They may recognize Odin, Thor, Loki, and Asgard, but Tyr's day, Woden's day, Thor's day, and Freya's day? That's not common knowledge

Heh, inadvertently spoiled myself after looking up one of my favorite scenes on the Starz youtube channel because of the video's title.

spoilers probably
Lessons from Low Key, huh, that's Louis Cypher levels of subtlety. Oh well, figured there was something like that going on with him anyway.

Top Bottom