• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

suzu

I'm starting to sympathize with criticism that the soundscape can get overbearing. I was distracted by the clamorous backing for the scene in Vulcan's house. Brian Reitzell should pull it back a notch or two. What worked in Hannibal doesn't always work here.

Yeah, I was never bothered before.. but this episode seemed extra loud and distracting.

hydruxo

The scenes with the leprechaun are the best.

tumblr_or1jegvjcr1vfg7u3o2_400.gif

I didn't even get the whole genie rub out pun until I read it in gif form... I blame it on the fact that it registered as djinn to me which are very different from our culture's idea of 'genie'.

I didn't even get the whole genie rub out pun until I read it in gif form... I blame it on the fact that it registered as djinn to me which are very different from our culture's idea of 'genie'.

There's a bunch of jokes like that that probably go over people's heads. Like Czernobog joking about shades and complexions with Shadow. Czernobog is also known as "the Black God" even though our society would do a double take at that nickname. He was pointing out the absurdity of it all - even though Shadow didn't look like he got that.

Floex

Loved the whole ideology behind Vulcan in this episode.

Laura and the Leprechaun are my new favourite double team 😆😍

There's a bunch of jokes like that that probably go over people's heads. Like Czernobog joking about shades and complexions with Shadow. Czernobog is also known as "the Black God" even though our society would do a double take at that nickname. He was pointing out the absurdity of it all - even though Shadow didn't look like he got that.

Yeah. Czernobog also talked about how these days he and his brother are both grey, making it harder to tell which is which.
Which plays on some interpretations that Czernobog and Belobog are the same.

I think this was the first episode I didn't like.

The content was good, but everything was stretched out for annoying lengths of time. And I am past the point where Shadow's incredulity makes any sense.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
And I am past the point where Shadow's incredulity makes any sense.

Yeah, it's a little odd now that he has created weather, seen his dead wife again, had multiple encounters with gods and even had those gods explain everything to him. Last episode should have been the last one where he's wondering if everything is real, cus by now, he should know it is.

I'm digging the new stuff and the trio is good (for now). But still this episode felt a little bit too long for what it gave me... simetimes it felt like watching Preacher, and that's bad. Less slow-mo please.

Kazuhira

Lttp but i've just watched ep 5, the interrogation room scene and the odin nuke aimed at north korea was fucking priceless hahahaha.

hydruxo

I'm not worried tbh. Ash vs Evil Dead gets half the ratings that American Gods gets and they're renewed for a third season. I know Fuller is unlucky with cancellations, but STARZ is more willing to let him do his thing. Plus we're already getting a second season.

Shy

I'm not worried tbh. Ash vs Evil Dead gets half the ratings that American Gods gets and they're renewed for a third season. I know Fuller is unlucky with cancellations, but STARZ is more willing to let him do his thing. Plus we're already getting a second season.
True true.

I tend to be a bit of a pessimist. LOL.

bebop242

Just watched the first episode and as a person who loves Pushing Daisies, Hannibal and Neil Gaiman.....

Nope I'm out.
Highly dissapointed.

Shy

Overall tone of the show. Acting seems too unnatural. I guess too stylish, which is odd considering I like other Fuller shows. Just not feeling it.

Yeah I'll give it another shot eventuality, i was really hyped for this.
Ahh. Ok.

I hope when you go back to it. You have a better time.

The music (the percussive cues and ambient stuff) is starting to bug me in this show.

Hannibal eventually had the same problem for me, and since this seems like it has the exact same type of music too it, it's not too surprising.

The music (the percussive cues and ambient stuff) is starting to bug me in this show.

Hannibal eventually had the same problem for me, and since this seems like it has the exact same type of music too it, it's not too surprising.
I felt that overpowering percussive soundscape really fit Hannibal's baroque, mondo stylings. I don't feel American Gods hits that same decadent atmosphere in its visuals or overall atmosphere, so the music just feels out of place for the most part.

In other news:

Pablo-Schreiber-Bruce-Langley-Emily-Browning-Ian-McShane-Riccky-Whittle-American-Gods-1.jpg

I'm really enjoying Ricky's unbuttoning habits during this recent promo tour.

aaaaa0

I felt that overpowering percussive soundscape really fit Hannibal's baroque, mondo stylings. I don't feel American Gods hits that same decadent atmosphere in its visuals or overall atmosphere, so the music just feels out of place for the most part.

In other news:

Pablo-Schreiber-Bruce-Langley-Emily-Browning-Ian-McShane-Riccky-Whittle-American-Gods-1.jpg

Jesus, Emily Browning is perfect.

Monocle

Yeah I'll give it another shot eventuality, i was really hyped for this.
Good idea. If you have time, I would suggest marathoning two or three episodes at once. The episodes vary pretty widely in focus and tone. What you find lacking in one might be made up for in the next.

In other news:

Agreed on all counts.

Including the unbuttoning part, obviously.

Dynomutt

has the new episode premiered yet tonight on streaming Starz? surprised there hasn't been any talk

Just watched it, It was not bad. The last couple off book episodes have not grabbed me as much. The story was alright.
I don't know how I felt about using Emily Browning to play that character in the Mad Sweeney Origin it felt forced. As soon as the car flip I suspected he would have a tough decision to make. Salim seemed to be dismissed abruptly as well. I don't know it was ok to me.
I suspect some will like it it.

Not

Banned
Overall tone of the show. Acting seems too unnatural. I guess too stylish, which is odd considering I like other Fuller shows. Just not feeling it.

Huh. The first episode was really, really entertaining to me. More than most things I've seen on TV.

BamfMeat

In other news:

RIcky's unbuttoning is good, but damn if Pablo isn't hot too. I have a thing for tall dudes though.

Also, why is Techno Boy everywhere when we've seen him in what, 2 episodes?

Top Bottom