• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods will premiere on April 30th on Starz [Up: New trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadline: ‘American Gods': Starz Sets Premiere Date, Gives First Look At New Fantasy Series

New trailer via Deadline
Youtube link
wrAmMwL.jpg

American Gods, the new Starz series adapted from Neil Gaiman's contemporary fantasy novel, will have its TV bow on Sunday, April 30 at 9pm ET/PT. And from this first-look key art, clouds and strangeness are heading this way.

Before the TV premiere of the eight-episode series, produced by FremantleMedia North America, American Gods will make a public debut at the SXSW festival on March 11. The screening will be followed by a Q&A with showrunners and cast including Bryan Fuller, Michael Green, Ricky Whittle, Ian McShane, Emily Browning, Pablo Schreiber, Crispin Glover, Yetide Badaki, Bruce Langley, Orlando Jones, Jonathan Tucker and Betty Gilpin.

The logline: American Gods pits Old Gods against New Gods, with the ancient mythological ones fearing irrelevance as their believers die off or are seduced by the money, technology, and celebrity offered by the younger deities. Shadow Moon (Ricky Whittle) is an ex-con who, left adrift by the recent death of his wife, becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to conman Mr. Wednesday (Ian McShane). But in truth, Mr. Wednesday is a powerful old deity, on a cross-country mission to build an army and reclaim his lost glory.

The series was adapted from Gaiman's 2001 novel, with Bryan Fuller and Michael Green serving as the show's writers and showrunners. David Slade directed the pilot and additional episodes, with FMNA's Craig Cegielski and Stefanie Berk on board as executive producers along with Fuller, Green, Slade, Adam Kane and Neil Gaiman. Senior Vice Presidents of Original Programming Marta Fernandez and Ken Segna are the Starz executives in charge of American Gods.

In addition to Whittle and McShane, American Gods stars Emily Browning, Pablo Schreiber, Yetide Badaki, Bruce Langley, Crispin Glover and Orlando Jones. Additional cast members include Gillian Anderson, Kristin Chenoweth, Jonathan Tucker, Cloris Leachman, Peter Stormare, Chris Obi, Demore Barnes, Corbin Bernsen and Mousa Kraish.

EDIT:

Here's the trailer for anyone that hasn't seen it yet:

- First Look Trailer

EDIT2:

Can the UK air date be added?

1st May on Amazon Prime

jph139

Man, this HAS to be good. All the stars really aligned here... I'll be heartbroken if it somehow sucks.

Mostly interested in how they'll pace it.
Season One ending at the carousel, right?

hydruxo

Man, this HAS to be good. All the stars really aligned here... I'll be heartbroken if it somehow sucks.

Mostly interested in how they'll pace it.
Season One ending at the carousel, right?

Yeah supposedly the first season consists of the first 3rd of the book

Pagusas

Elden Member
im curious about this. I strongly disliked the novel for feeling insanely anticlimactic. I wonder if the show will fix that.

Can't wait. I'm on page 200 right now, and not liking it too much. But I feel like this will be much more enjoyable on TV than in book form. Great people involved in this too.

exactly my feeling, except finished the book and it kept gettign worse.
Shit! Oh well...I'm too invested now. I feel like right when it seemed like it was going to get really good it completely dropped off. The middle of the book almost feels like we're starting from page 1 again in terms of buildup and such. Like the reset button was hit when
Shadow gets taken prisoner and separated from Wednesday

Camwi

Haven't read the books, but the premise sounds awesome.

Also, I can't not watch my sweet, sweet Gillian in something.

Bebpo

Banned

Hopefully it's not too slow. AG is not that long of a book. Could probably do it all in 2 two hour movies. Was kinda expecting two seasons to cover the book. Three sounds a bit like The Hobbit.

I really like the book and the trailer looks fantastic, so hopefully they don't drop the ball by stretching the material out and killing the pacing.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hopefully it's not too slow. AG is not that long of a book. Could probably do it all in 2 two hour movies. Was kinda expecting two seasons to cover the book. Three sounds a bit like The Hobbit.

I really like the book and the trailer looks fantastic, so hopefully they don't drop the ball by stretching the material out and killing the pacing.

Im thinking we will either get a lot of extra time in Wisconsin, or some "filler" side jobs done by Shadow and Wednesday. Both things could substantially help the plot.

Season 2 will end with
the assassination of Wednesday.

jph139

I'm curious how much time they're going to spend on the side-stories. We already know the Djinn story is showing up. Some of them could be stretched pretty far - like the girl from Cornwall could probably fill an hour itself depending on how you tell it. Those sorts of settings may be a bit too ambitious, though...

I assume they'll flesh out Shadow's pre-prison life a lot. Which I'm not really looking forward to, but would be simple enough padding.

Abelard

Eh, I thought the book was mediocre but I will watch for Fuller- or maybe we should all collectively decide to not watch so the show becomes a failure and the man can go back to working on Hannibal?

That was tge name of this show! I was trying to check to see if it was released already, but couldn't remember the name for the life of me.

Haven't read the books, but the premise sounds awesome.

Also, I can't not watch my sweet, sweet Gillian in something.

Just the one book as far as I recall. Truthfully I've always loved Neil's books for the prose and world building but sometimes they have this vague quality about certain plot points or characters that leaves me a little befuddled about what's happening. That said I'm as excited for this to premiere as I am any media, movie or book, right now. Add Brian fuller to the mix and you have the chance for something truly special. I had no idea it was premiering this soon too. Going to be an awesome summer/spring for tv!!

I'm curious how much time they're going to spend on the side-stories. We already know the Djinn story is showing up. Some of them could be stretched pretty far - like the girl from Cornwall could probably fill an hour itself depending on how you tell it. Those sorts of settings may be a bit too ambitious, though...

I assume they'll flesh out Shadow's pre-prison life a lot. Which I'm not really looking forward to, but would be simple enough padding.

I think shadow's past is sufficiently fleshed out, I mean a major part of his character is being boring, mess around with it too much and you run the risk of ruining a couple of major plot points. (
affair and resurrection/Apotheosis
)

What I would like to see them expending on is the general idea of the mythology merger, but that also might be to distracting.

Establishing the side plots prior to shadow arrival does seem like an interesting way to fill up some space.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just when I was going to let my Starz sub go after Black Sails ended. Damn you, Starz.

18-year-old me would be completely over the moon with this news.
32-year-old me is cautious and pessimistic, but might watch some of it.

Poster looks awesome.
But I think it's a tough book to adapt to screen, and unless it was done with some insane HBO or Netflix-esque budget, I think it'll probably be very cheesy.

im curious about this. I strongly disliked the novel for feeling insanely anticlimactic. I wonder if the show will fix that.

I wonder the same thing as well. The novel was my first Gaiman novel, and it rightly introduced me to the concept of being Gaiman-ed.

ryseing

I can see S3 using the novella, which is good in its own right. It takes cues from Beowulf.

Santiako

Can't wait. I really liked the book and the cast is fantastic.

Oh, that's disappointing, I thought this covered the whole book. 8 hours is more than plenty, hopefully they don't stretch the plot too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom