• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Asylum |OT| Nuns, and nazis, and scares! Oh, my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

I just finished season 2.

Is this show supposed to be goofy as shit?

Mad doctors, aliens, nazis, serial killers, its this bizarre kitchen sink approach that leaves me wondering if I am watched a horror parody or not?

Not to say I didn't like it though.

I just finished season 2.

Is this show supposed to be goofy as shit?

Mad doctors, aliens, nazis, serial killers, its this bizarre kitchen sink approach that leaves me wondering if I am watched a horror parody or not?

Not to say I didn't like it though.

It's intentionally campy. Season two really ran with its camp factor compared to season one though.

Nemesis_

Emma Roberts is reportedly being signed onto Coven.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...come-addition-to-american-horror-story-coven/

For those who don't know, she was in Scream 4.

iL6S4CkslUxeI.gif

Fatalah

Is that what you wanna do with your life? Suck down peppermint schnapps and try to call Morocco at two in the morning? That's senseless! But that's what happens, man.

Nemesis_

I feel like she's going to take a rather secondary role to the whole scheme of things. I mean, listen to her role:

The Scream 4 actress on May 29 closed a deal to join the FX drama’s witch-themed third chapter, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Roberts — who most recently starred in Fox’s ill-fated pilot Delirium — will play a self-involved party girl by the name of Madison.

Fun fact: Roberts’ casting places her on screen alongside real-life boyfriend, Horror Story vet Evan Peters.

As previously reported, AHS fixtures Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, Frances Conroy and Taissa Farmiga will be back for Season 3. Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, Patti LuPone and Gabourey Sidibe, meanwhile, are among the addictive hit’s fresh faces.

http://tvline.com/2013/05/22/american-horror-story-coven-season-3-cast-emma-roberts/

A self involved party girl? She'll be some annoying barrier or hindrance to the Evan Peters x Taissa Farmigia romance - that's my bet at least. But then again Murphy works in the weirdest way. >_>

Nemesis_

That's interesting stuff.

They start filming very soon so I am hoping we get a lot of screens or some tweets or something of the set like we did for Asylum.

New interview with Patti Lupone.

Lupone confirms that she isn't a witch, but the personification of a religious right. Whatever that means.

She likens her character to Piper Laurie from Carrie.

Nemesis_

Some casting information has been leaked about American Horror Story: Coven.

I'm not entirely sure if it's actually a spoiler or not, but these actors are auditioning for roles that discuss at least one of the female characters in the series.

I'll spoiler them just in case, but they are incredibly vague.

For American Horror Story episode 3.01, the guest role of Theodore is being cast. He's 60 and often subject to nagging.

This is a link to the audition video (now removed) of an actor named Byron Mann for the role of Dr. David Zhong, and it gives clues about the storyline of one of the female characters (She's a
wealthy widow in the prime of her life who immediately wants the "youth serum" that Dr. Zhong has been developing
).

Two guest roles are being cast: a male college student who's a jerk and a charming Asian doctor named David Zhong.

All of these can be found http://www.spoilertv.com/search/label/American Horror Story

But I've posted them all. GET HYPE

Nemesis_

Well, the performances from most of the actors and actresses this season were a real step up from what we got in the first season. If this were the first season, I would honestly be surprised. But from what I watched in Asylum, I'm pretty impressed.

Nemesis_

Jessica Lange's character will be named Gwen.
Frances Conroy's character will be named Ruth.

There will also be a recurring role for a "small-town" hunk named Carter.

This information has been revealed from leaked casting calls for recurring roles for Coven. This highlights, to me at least, two different possible reasons.

1.) There will be time travel incorporated in some form (very unlikely, IMO)
2.) The flashbacks for this season will revolve around Gwen and Ruth as twenty-somethings, and potentially their romances with this "Carter" character.

Nemesis_

It seems previous reports were either incorrect or there is more that meets the eye.

Five Things to Know About Coven

1. Lange plays a witch named Fiona. "Some of us play witches, some of us play historical characters," she told the assembled press. "I do play a witch. We move back and forth in time. It encompasses a lot of different stories. I've shot two days so far, one day entrances and exits, the other day a scene. I don't know who the character is yet. It comes in little dribs and drabs."

2. Bates plays historical personage Madame LaLurie, a Louisiana-born socialite and serial killer who kept slaves bound in her home. Interestingly enough, Bates' great grandfather was the personal physician to Andrew Jackson, who lived next door to LaLurie. "I think he would have been there just before she left," Bates said.

3. Bassett also portrays a real person: Marie Laveau, a voodoo expert who, along with her daughter, had a big multiracial following. The actress noted that she's been approached by several individuals interested in voodoo in New Orleans for consultation should she need it. "It's been interesting being in New Orleans, there's such a regard and respect for who she was," Bassett said. "She was a woman in 1801 who lives to be 80 years old, who is a very influential person in the city. My character is based loosely on her."

4. Paulson plays Cordelia, the daughter to Jessica Lange's Fiona. This season, Minear said, will focus on themes of oppression of minorities of all kinds. "Within that idea, the idea of minority groups going after each other and doing the work of the larger culture for the larger culture [will be explored]," Minear said. "While there is a strong feminist theme that runs throughout Coven this year, there are also themes of race, oppression and there is a very strong theme of family, specifically mothers and daughters." Minear noted it would be safe to think of Cordelia in line with the character in William Shakespeare's King Lear.

5. Coven also will feature Salem witches fleeing to the South, Minear said, noting there are two kinds of witches in the world. Among the changes in Coven, Minear said this season will be more fun. "This year is a drama but there is a lot of humor, and we are embracing a kind of velocity and fun with the series," he said. "It's not the same as it was the past two years, but I think it can be more fun for the audience."​

And some more leaked set photos: -

Nemesis_

Leaky leaky:

Episode 3.01 - "Bitchcraft" (09-Oct-2013)
Episode 3.02 - "Boy Parts" (16-Oct-2013)
Episode 3.03 - "Replacements, The" (23-Oct-2013)​

Bitchcraft, I LIVE!

Just as a reminder once we get official promotional materials, I'll make a new pre-release hype and information thread for Coven :)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Leaky leaky:

Bitchcraft, I LIVE!

Just as a reminder once we get official promotional materials, I'll make a new pre-release hype and information thread for Coven :)

Sounds great.

Leaky leaky:

Bitchcraft, I LIVE!

"Boy Parts"
"The Replacements"

I'm sure whatever they've cooked up won't equal the horror in my head right now.

Nemesis_

Ryan Murphy revealed the set up for the next installment of American Horror Story during a Friday night event for Emmy voters. (Full disclosure: This reporter moderated the panel with cast and producers.) Coven will be a massive witch-off: Salem vs. voodoo. "The witches of Salem, the smart ones, got out very early and they were none of the ones who were burned," Murphy explained. "They all gravitated toward New Orleans, where they now live, and every generation has a great witch who has the most powers of them all, and that's called the Supreme. Ms. Jessica Lange is the Supreme."

"It really is about the witches of Salem pitted against voodoo witches," he continued. "It's been a centuries-long feud and it's up to Jessica Lange and Angela Bassett to mend the fence." (Bassett is playing Marie Laveau, "the voodoo queen of New Orleans" whose real-life reign lasted from the 1820s to the 1860s.) Obviously, expect things between the witches — and non-witches — to escalate quickly. "The witches are really sort of a great allegory and metaphor for any minority group that has been persecuted and has had to go underground and, finally, is like, 'You know what? Dammit, no. We're fighting back,' so that's what they do."

It looks like Coven will be set in both the present day and the 1830s. In addition to Bassett's Laveau, Kathy Bates is playing actual historical serial killer Marie Delphine LaLaurie, a.k.a. Madame LaLaurie, who Murphy called "the most evil woman ever." LaLaurie and her third husband tortured and killed several of their slaves in New Orleans in the 1830s, and were discovered only when firefighters broke down a door and discovered their gruesome murder chamber. Ick. But Murphy promised this season would be lighter than Asylum. "It's much more buoyant and comedic and crafty than last season, which was much darker by design because it was about heavy social stuff," he said, then laughed. "[Frances Conroy] plays Jessica's rival from high school times."

Other confirmed cast for Coven so far also includes Sarah Paulson, who will be playing Lange's daughter, Lily Rabe, Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Gabourey Sidibe, Emma Roberts, Patti LuPone, Denis O'Hare, Alexandra Breckenridge, and Jamie Brewer.​

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/ryan-murphy-on-american-horror-story-coven.

Sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom