• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Asylum |OT| Nuns, and nazis, and scares! Oh, my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

Other confirmed cast for Coven so far also includes Sarah Paulson, who will be playing Lange's daughter, Lily Rabe, Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Gabourey Sidibe, Emma Roberts, Patti LuPone, Denis O'Hare, Alexandra Breckenridge, and Jamie Brewer.

Why no McShane though?

:(

Ryan Murphy revealed the set up for the next installment of American Horror Story during a Friday night event for Emmy voters. (Full disclosure: This reporter moderated the panel with cast and producers.) Coven will be a massive witch-off: Salem vs. voodoo. "The witches of Salem, the smart ones, got out very early and they were none of the ones who were burned," Murphy explained. "They all gravitated toward New Orleans, where they now live, and every generation has a great witch who has the most powers of them all, and that's called the Supreme. Ms. Jessica Lange is the Supreme."

"It really is about the witches of Salem pitted against voodoo witches," he continued. "It's been a centuries-long feud and it's up to Jessica Lange and Angela Bassett to mend the fence." (Bassett is playing Marie Laveau, "the voodoo queen of New Orleans" whose real-life reign lasted from the 1820s to the 1860s.) Obviously, expect things between the witches — and non-witches — to escalate quickly. "The witches are really sort of a great allegory and metaphor for any minority group that has been persecuted and has had to go underground and, finally, is like, 'You know what? Dammit, no. We're fighting back,' so that's what they do."

It looks like Coven will be set in both the present day and the 1830s. In addition to Bassett's Laveau, Kathy Bates is playing actual historical serial killer Marie Delphine LaLaurie, a.k.a. Madame LaLaurie, who Murphy called "the most evil woman ever." LaLaurie and her third husband tortured and killed several of their slaves in New Orleans in the 1830s, and were discovered only when firefighters broke down a door and discovered their gruesome murder chamber. Ick. But Murphy promised this season would be lighter than Asylum. "It's much more buoyant and comedic and crafty than last season, which was much darker by design because it was about heavy social stuff," he said, then laughed. "[Frances Conroy] plays Jessica's rival from high school times."

Other confirmed cast for Coven so far also includes Sarah Paulson, who will be playing Lange's daughter, Lily Rabe, Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Gabourey Sidibe, Emma Roberts, Patti LuPone, Denis O'Hare, Alexandra Breckenridge, and Jamie Brewer.​

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/ryan-murphy-on-american-horror-story-coven.

Sounds great!

Sounds so good I can't fucking wait. I'm huge into this sort of thing. Oh it's going to be a glorious season.

Nemesis_

A LOT MORE behind the scenes photos have surfaced: -

http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/images/american-horror-story/Season 3/Set Photos/5th August 2013/

Here's a few better ones of stuff we haven't seen before

yCVKvDu.jpg
JROhBcU.jpg
5aqKLpl.jpg

QolQedL.jpg
2rPxte9.jpg
O90Ulxz.jpg

FRANCES CONROY LOOKS AMAZING bvgduybgviwuvc ewvregvrevedrgvsed

Is that dude in the posted picture the actor who played the old gay vampire on True Blood? If so, awesome. He was great.

Edit: Denis O'Hare is his name. I forgot that he was in season one.

Shags

Banned
New to the forums and just came across this thread.

I'm wondering what the deal is with the
aliens
. Stuff like that just made the season seem a bit over the top for me.

kirblar

New to the forums and just came across this thread.

I'm wondering what the deal is with the
aliens
. Stuff like that just made the season seem a bit over the top for me.
Nazis, Aliens- it's a '50s thing. Think of it as them playing off the same era motifs that the Indiana Jones movies did, in a way.

Shags

Banned
Nazis, Aliens- it's a '50s thing. Think of it as them playing off the same era motifs that the Indiana Jones movies did, in a way.

That makes more sense; watching it alone, it seemed like those parts were just odd additions to the plot.

Thank you.

Tokubetsu

They're just like The Bridge promos. It's all atmosphere/tone setting and building. Don't really see how this season could suffer compared to the last two. I guess it comes down to what you want from the show and all I want is the craziest shit every week. Season two went hard in the paint in that regard.

I loved the second season, it went as far as the experimental horror of a few decades ago, the one which is not made anymore these years.
The style reminded me Mario Bava, it was awesome, way better than the first series.

Now I hope they take even a more crazy approach with this season, I'm still excited for The Lords Of Salem (best horror movie of the year by far), so witches? I'm down.

I hoped Cromwell would be in this season too but maybe he's doing Boardwalk Empire? In this case his absence is acceptable, and the cast is still great (Conroy as a witch oh God).

I'm hyped as fuck.

A friend got me to watch this after he said it was more morally messed up than Urotsukidoji, which is an anime about a Nazi demon rape factory.

Needless to say, the show went from what the hell to some of the funniest, craziest shit I have ever seen in my life. I love it. Still have to watch season two, but I definitely can't wait for season three.

Oh, and Denis O' Hare is awesome.

kai3345

Banned
I've never watched the show but Emma Roberts being added to the cast has piqued my interest. I heard from someone that the show is like Twilight zone and that each episode is different or something? Do I need to watch previous seasons to jump into this new one?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I heard from someone that the show is like Twilight zone and that each episode is different or something?

Do I need to watch previous seasons to jump into this new one?

Not quite. Each season is different, with no connection to the previous one, but the episodes within each season are connected to each other.

So yeah, you can just jump into season 3 without having seen either of the first two seasons.

Nemesis_

Storyline has been posted by FX

Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind It's probably FBI agents who think the witches are aliens or something and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Hogwarts!!! Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. She's a ghost Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.yaassss!!

Nemesis_

Leslie Jordan (The Help)
Christine Ebersole (Amadeus, Royal Pains)
Mare Winningham (Torchwood, Grey's Anatomy, Turner & Hooch)

have joined the cast of Coven. Not many details on who they'll play yet.

Nemesis_

Alexander Dreymon has been cast as "major recurring character".

MV5BNzcyMTc4MzY4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDc3NDg4OQ@@._V1._SY314_CR129,0,214,314_.jpg

Newcomer Alexander Dreymon has landed a major recurring role on the upcoming American Horror Story: Coven. On the witch-themed, New Orleans-set installment of the FX horror franchise, Dreymon will play the handsome young man who moves in next door to the Academy.

Interesting that they're referencing "The Academy". I guess there's going to be a Hogwarts in Coven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom